Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 14th December 2014, 08:48   #151
BHPian

Default re: Rajasthan Road Trip : Queries

We are on a 3 week long road trip to Rajasthan from Bangalore. We are going up the center of india and coming back from the west cost. The only area I have questions about is the road from Jaisalmer to Barmer via Munebao. We are going to be on that road on Saturday i.e. the day the international train stops at the station for immigration checks. Does anyone know if we will be able to pass on that particular road? And how is the condition of that road? Do I have to worry about excessive sand since I am going to be there in a sedan.
ak916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2014, 14:09   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

AFAIK Barmer Munebao does not connect directly to Jaisalmer. Barmer Jaisalmer is NH15 and is a lovely road. Munebao is west of Barmer and is a separate road. That said generally because it is climatically dry state the roads are generally good.
sudev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2014, 16:32   #153
BHPian

Hello BHPIANS!
I'm doing a solo road trip from Mumbai to Rajasthan in Jan 2015.
Here are the details: (your valuable feedback and suggestions about routes/places to visit/stay/eat etc. are most welcome!!)

1. Day 1: 4/01/2014: Mumbai -- Jaisalmer -- 1040Kms
- Leave from Mumbai at 4:00AM and take the NH 8 -- Ahmedabad -- Mehsana -- Palanpur -- Sanchore -- Barmer -- Jaisalmer
- Google says it'll take approx. 14hrs, I'm thinking it'll be at-least 16-17hrs after taking into account breaks and traffic.

2. Day 2: 5/01/2014:
- Jaisalmer -- Longewala -- 111Kms
- Longewala -- Tanot -- 38Kms
- Tanot -- Jaisalmer -- 121Kms

3. Day 3: 6/01/2014: Jaisalmer -- Udaipur -- 504Kms
- Planning to leave from Jaisalmer early in the morning around 5:00 or 6:00 and reach Udaipur by afternoon so as to have some time to explore Udaipur

4. Day 4: 7/01/2014:
Option 1: Udaipur -- Mumbai -- 705Kms
Option 2: Udaipur -- (some other place of interest since I've got an extra day at hand)

Total distance to be covered: 2519Kms
Vehicle: Ford Figo Titanium (Petrol); current odo @ 26000Kms
nishantbhatia84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2014, 17:36   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

@nishantbhatia84 Trying for personal distance drive record? Those are ambitious drive targets.
sudev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2014, 23:29   #155
Senior - BHPian

@nishantbhatia84 - The only thing you'll end up seeing, beside Roads of Rajasthan, is Tanot and Longewala . On the first day you'll be almost dead after a 17 hour drive. On the 3rd day you'll reach udaipur when the palace and other attractions are almost on the verge of closing. On the 4th day you're back!

Why not keep the 2 days for only one destination, so you have time to explore it properly?
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2014, 12:02   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
@nishantbhatia84 Trying for personal distance drive record? Those are ambitious drive targets.
Actually my personal record is 2100kms from Mumbai to Kolkata! Not looking to break any records, it's just a normal road trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
@nishantbhatia84 - The only thing you'll end up seeing, beside Roads of Rajasthan, is Tanot and Longewala . On the first day you'll be almost dead after a 17 hour drive. On the 3rd day you'll reach udaipur when the palace and other attractions are almost on the verge of closing. On the 4th day you're back!

Why not keep the 2 days for only one destination, so you have time to explore it properly?
You have a valid point! That's why I've got 2 extra days of buffer time! I'll use them depending on the situation!
I'm planning to do Jaisalmer to Chittorgarh to Udaipur and then spend an entire day at Udaipur.
Old 6th January 2015, 22:36   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantbhatia84 View Post
3. Day 3: 6/01/2014: Jaisalmer -- Udaipur -- 504Kms
- Planning to leave from Jaisalmer early in the morning around 5:00 or 6:00 and reach Udaipur by afternoon so as to have some time to explore Udaipur

Vehicle: Ford Figo Titanium (Petrol)
Hi Nishant. I think I crossed you today at around 11 AM, somewhere on the Jailsalmer to Bikaner stretch. I was travelling towards JSL from BKP, you the reverse. You were in a red Figo with the foglights on. Just made out the tbhp sticker on your rear bumper in the ORVM.

Just in case you were wondering who the Silver Elite i20 you crossed today (with a tbhp sticker) belonged to .
predatorwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2015, 22:39   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Hi Nishant. I think I crossed you today at around 11 AM, somewhere on the Jailsalmer to Bikaner stretch. I was travelling towards JSL from BKP, you the reverse. You were in a red Figo with the foglights on. Just made out the tbhp sticker on your rear bumper in the ORVM.

Just in case you were wondering who the Silver Elite i20 you crossed today (with a tbhp sticker) belonged to .
Yes it was me! I remember your vehicle! Good to see a bhpian here! I was on my way to Bikaner.
Old 19th January 2015, 08:57   #159
BHPian

We're planning to drive down from Gurgaon to Kutch for the Rann Utsav, first week February. The intention is to spend some time on the beaches of Mandvi and on the Sands of the Rann, so the rest of the drive may seem slightly rushed, but we will get to see some awesome sights on our drive through Rajasthan .

The itinerary that we have in mind is as below:
  • Gurgaon - Shekhawati (Ramgarh) : 280km ~ 5-6 hours
  • Shekhawati (Ramgarh) - Bikaner: 200km ~ 3 hours (planning to spend the morning in SHekhawati and leave for Bikaner post lunch)
  • Bikaner sightseeing
  • Bikaner - Jaisalmer: 330km ~ 4 hours (wondering if we can do Tanot enroute and then have a full day to explore Jaisalmer?)
  • Jaisalmer - Tanot /Longewala - Jaisalmer: ~ 250 km round - day trip
  • Jaisalmer-Jodhpur: 300 km ~ 4 hours
  • Jodhpur-Mandvi: 600km ~ 8 hours
  • Mandvi - Hodka (Kutch): 100 km ~ 2 hours
  • Hodka (Kutch) Sightseeing
  • Hodka (Kutch) - Ajmer (??): 700 km ~ 10 hours
  • Ajmer (??) - Gurgaon: 380 km ~ 6 hours

On the return leg, we may drive further (till jaipur?) time and driver fatigue depending.

Need advice on:
  1. Tanot/Longewala - can we visit this on the way from Bikaner to Jaisalmer ? I know its not strictly enroute, but would prefer to take a full days break (with minimal driving) at jaisalmer. Google maps shows a route between the Phalodi-Pokhran-Jaisalmer highway and the Pakistan border (running parallel to the border (some 20 km in). Is this a decently surfaced road? I'm imagining it would offer more pleasure to the eye than the standard highway route (which we have done before) also, being so close to the border, I hope its not a restricted access road (?). Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Route recommendations and road conditions from Jodhpur-Mandvi (Gujrat) - is it advisable to head via MtAbu - Deesa- Radhanpur (675km) or via the google maps recommended route through Balotra-Sanchore-Tharad (645km)? Another thought that entered my head was via Barmer-Tharad (this is about 715km, probably not worth the extra kms)
  3. Quickest way back from Kutch -Gurgaon, recommended pitstops and tentative time taken
adisag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2015, 14:12   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adisag View Post
Need advice on:
  1. Tanot/Longewala - can we visit this on the way from Bikaner to Jaisalmer ? I know its not strictly enroute, but would prefer to take a full days break (with minimal driving) at jaisalmer. Google maps shows a route between the Phalodi-Pokhran-Jaisalmer highway and the Pakistan border (running parallel to the border (some 20 km in). Is this a decently surfaced road? I'm imagining it would offer more pleasure to the eye than the standard highway route (which we have done before) also, being so close to the border, I hope its not a restricted access road (?). Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.
Jaisalmer - Longewala - Tanot and back to Jaisalmer will take you at least 5-6hrs as it totals to approx 300kms in all.
I recommend you leave for Longewala in the morning around 7-8am as traffic + crowds at both Longewala and Tanot will be very less and you'll be able to enjoy these places in peace.
Not sure about the road conditions on the alternative route you're looking at for Bikaner to Jaisalmer. Any road close to the border may be closed / restricted by the bsf at any time based on the situation at the border. I suggest you stick to the normal route because:
1. The road is AMAZING!
2. Plenty of fuel bunks, restaurants en-route. Not sure if the internal roads will have any bunks! I recently did Jaisalmer - Longewala - Tanot - Jaisalmer and realised that the only fuel bunks on this route were at Jaisalmer!!
3. There is absolutely no mobile network in the internal roads so it'll be extremely difficult to seek help in case of an emergency as traffic is scarce on these roads.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by nishantbhatia84 : 25th January 2015 at 14:14.
nishantbhatia84 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2015, 13:27   #161
Distinguished - BHPian

A road goes almost parallel to NH15 along the Indira Gandhi Canal. That is open for public and is a lovely drive. However there is lot more out of mobile range distance.

Just beyond Sri Kolayat take a cross road turn right towards Bajju. Cross this town and just before the canal take right turn. Drive till Shri Mohangarh. Slightly before this the canal will veer away. From Shri Mohangarh hit NH15 about 15 odd kilometers before Jaisalmer.

Watch out for Chikara's darting across the road and also some wild boars in the dense grooves clumps due to water seepage from canal.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2015, 16:40   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Jaisalmer - Longewala - Tanot and back to Jaisalmer will take you at least 5-6hrs as it totals to approx 300kms in all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
A road goes almost parallel to NH15 along the Indira Gandhi Canal. That is open for public and is a lovely drive. However there is lot more out of mobile range distance.

Just beyond Sri Kolayat take a cross road turn right towards Bajju. Cross this town and just before the canal take right turn. Drive till Shri Mohangarh. Slightly before this the canal will veer away. From Shri Mohangarh hit NH15 about 15 odd kilometers before Jaisalmer.

Watch out for Chikara's darting across the road and also some wild boars in the dense grooves clumps due to water seepage from canal.
Yup, thats the road we are planning to take, except we intend to continue further via Tejpala to Ramgarh and on to Tanot. Google Maps estimates this as 400 km ~ 6hrs 30min. We plan to leave Bikaner pre dawn, spend the afternoon at Tanot, and end up in Jaisalmer by dusk. Is this overly ambitious? Is there anywhere between Tanot and Jaisalmer where we can stay the night? (To save a couple of hours driving to JSM)

We prefer this plan as we get to see Tanot first, and then get the full next day to spend in Jaisalmer, rather than a fragmented few hours (2 evenings, and one morning), with a day trip to Tanot thrown into the middle if we follow the more conventional itinerary.

Last edited by adisag : 27th January 2015 at 16:48.
Old 28th January 2015, 09:27   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Is there anywhere between Tanot and Jaisalmer where we can stay the night? (To save a couple of hours driving to JSM)
I did not see any places to stay en-route Tanot to Jaisalmer. Since Tanot to Jaisalmer is just a couple of hours I would recommend you stay at Jaisalmer as there are plenty of good hotel options there. Also, visiting Tanot should not take more than 30mins as there just the temple and canteen there! I spent just around 10-15 mins at Tanot. Since you're going down to that area I would recommend you visit Tanot and Longewala on the same day, else you'll need to drive a considerable distance back to Longewala in case you wanna check it out later.

Last edited by nishantbhatia84 : 28th January 2015 at 09:28.
Old 28th January 2015, 11:05   #164
BHPian

Quote:
I did not see any places to stay en-route Tanot to Jaisalmer. Since Tanot to Jaisalmer is just a couple of hours I would recommend you stay at Jaisalmer as there are plenty of good hotel options there. Also, visiting Tanot should not take more than 30mins as there just the temple and canteen there! I spent just around 10-15 mins at Tanot. Since you're going down to that area I would recommend you visit Tanot and Longewala on the same day, else you'll need to drive a considerable distance back to Longewala in case you wanna check it out later.
My Bad, when I said Tanot, I actually meant both Tanot and Longewala.

I'm reckoning we hit Tanot by say 12noon, spend an hour or so, move onto Longewala (target to reach by 3) and then head out to Jaisalmer by 4:30ish. Is this enough time? I think it should be. Your thoughts?
Old 28th January 2015, 13:01   #165
BHPian

Quote:
My Bad, when I said Tanot, I actually meant both Tanot and Longewala.

I'm reckoning we hit Tanot by say 12noon, spend an hour or so, move onto Longewala (target to reach by 3) and then head out to Jaisalmer by 4:30ish. Is this enough time? I think it should be. Your thoughts?
- If you reach Tanot by 12pm, I suggest you check the place and also have lunch at the army restaurant over there as the food is good plus there are no restaurants or places to eat ahead.
- Say if you leave from Tanot by 1.30pm, you'll reach Longewala by 2.00pm as it is just 37km from Tanot and the road is fantastic.
- Longewala should not take more than 30mins as there's just the Pakistan Tank, truck and Longewala memorial to see.
- If you leave from Longewala around 2.30-3.00pm den you'll easily reach Jaisalmer max by 4.30pm.
- If you haven't already booked a hotel at Jaisalmer, I suggest you check out Hotel Sky Plaza. This is the place I stayed at. Nice rooms with sufficient parking as well.
nishantbhatia84 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote