Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 28th July 2015, 08:16   #181
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Rajasthan Road Trip : Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhisek.parija View Post
For the onward leg, as we will be starting at night, is there any alternate route you would suggest to reach Jodhpur avoiding Jaipur. You have scared me w.r.t taking the Jaipur route
I'm really not aware of any route to Jodhpur that byepasses the Delhi:Jaipur stretch.

Quote:
Secondly for the Route 1 that you suggested, how is the road condition ? Hope my small Polo can take it head on.
Both routes have very good road condition. In Mandawa I do recollect some potholed roads. But they're town roads, with habitation on both sides, so you won't be flying through them.
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2015, 11:17   #182
BHPian

I am planning a Rajasthan road trip from Bangalore in October.
October 10th Saturday to October 23rd Friday (can extend to October 24th Saturday if required). Based on the information that I collected from many threads, I created a map.

https://goo.gl/maps/B0QXj

Below is the plan that I have.

Name:  Trip Plan.png
Views: 898
Size:  17.0 KB

Car

1. Ford Fiesta Petrol. 52000 KMS. Good tyres, new Battery.

2. Travellers - Myself, wife and 5 year old daughter. Spending long time in car is not an issue as we travel a lot on highways but this is our first drive to North beyond Belgaum.
3. Drivers -Primarily me. My wife is also a good driver.
4. Do not want to drive after dark (6:30 PM). Bangalore - Mumbai and Mumbai - Bangalore are exceptions.

5. Would avoid too crowded places. Not inclined to visit any place for pilgrimage/religious importance.

Request your suggestions.

Many thanks in advance.
pramodpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2015, 12:33   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Hey Pramod,

We did this in our M800 a couple of years back all the way from Hyd and back,so nothing to worry for you in terms of vehicle

We did Mumbai-Ahmedabad-Jaisalmer-Jodhpur-Jaipur-Pushkar/Ajmer-Udaipur-Ahmedabad-Mumbai

D1:BOM-AMD :8hrs
D2:AMD-JAI:9hrs
D3:JAI,JAI-TANOT (2hrs one way)
D4:JAI-Sam,JAI-JDP(5hrs)
D5:JDP
D6:JDP-JAIPUR (7hrs)
D7:JAIPUR
D8:JAI-AJMER/PUSHKAR-UDP(jai-ajmer 2hrs,ajmer-udp:6hrs)
D9:UDP
D10:UDP
D11:UDP-AMD(5hrs)
D12:AMD-BOM(8hrs)

All the details are up on this thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...than-m800.html (From"Aadab & Bagunnava" Land to Land of "Khammaghani"(Hyd to Rajasthan by M800))

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 5th August 2015 at 12:36. Reason: Drive times included
ranjitp1 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2015, 13:17   #184
Senior - BHPian

Pramod, I was going to quote you Ranjit's travelogue. Looks like he himself has responded Another variant of the same plan is doing Bangalore-GQ-Ahmedabad-Jaisalmer-Jodhpur-Udaipur-Jaipur-Agra-NS corridor-Bangalore. Doing Jaipur last you can also do the Chittogarh-Neemuch-Dhule-Pune avoiding the Narmada bridge and Bombay alltogether.
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2015, 21:13   #185

Quote:
October 10th Saturday to October 23rd Friday (can extend to October 24th Saturday if required). Based on the information that I collected from many threads, I created a map.
Car will just hold perfectly fine.
I am on my Rajasthan trip now, few pointers for you :

1. Roads are amazing in Rajasthan. You will be pleasantly surprised at the rate in which you will munch away your miles.

2. If you are headed towards Jaisalmer; do make it a point to visit Longewala and Tanot (total up and down will be 280 kms approx, with good roads). You can try your luck and visit BP 609 (border post 609 from tanot). It is directly at the border and is a completely different experience altogether. Just keep in mind, you will require prior permission from DIG BSF at Jaisalmer to visit BP609.

3. Jaisalmer - Tanot - Longewala - Jaisalmer route will give you some mind boggling visuals.

4. People are extremely helpful and hospitable in Rajasthan.

Have fun and drive safe

Last edited by ampere : 9th August 2015 at 23:52. Reason: Removed bulk of quoted post
abhisek.parija is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2015, 07:01   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

3. Jaisalmer - Tanot - Longewala - Jaisalmer route will give you some mind boggling visuals.
Just that one must remember to tank up at Jaisalmer.There is no fuel available on the entire 300km stretch,there is an abandoned pump at Ramgarh
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2015, 13:06   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Just that one must remember to tank up at Jaisalmer.There is no fuel available on the entire 300km stretch,there is an abandoned pump at Ramgarh
Yes, very important. In our January 2015 trip, we had planned to go to Tanot-Longewala the next day after our arrival in Jaisalmer. Unfortunately petrol pump owners in the city declared a strike that day. My car was also low on fuel. So we couldn't manage either place
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2015, 15:26   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just keep in mind, you will require prior permission from DIG BSF at Jaisalmer to visit BP609.
Didn't know about this. Gives an excuse to visit once again Did you visit? If so, please pen your experience on getting permissions and your visit please.

Quote:
+1000 to this. Its an amazing drive to remember. When we went, there was a brand new KA registered car giving us company. Apart from fuel, food is also hard to find. Apart from Ramgarh where you have minimal facilities and Tanot army canteen, there is absolutely no other place to eat at all!
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2015, 21:22   #189

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Didn't know about this. Gives an excuse to visit once again
=======
Apart from Ramgarh where you have minimal facilities and Tanot army canteen, there is absolutely no other place to eat at all!
Yes food for car & humans is scarce. We had a heavy breakfast before we started for Tanot. We left at 9 AM and were back by 3am after visiting BP609, Tanot & longewala. Fuel we had half a tank which sufficed as roads are pretty good and isolated.
abhisek.parija is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2015, 14:45   #190
Senior - BHPian

How are the road conditions from Bikaner to Ajmer via NH89 ? Read in a few places that it's slow , dusty due to construction work.

Any latest updates ?
sdp1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2015, 21:51   #191

Question re: Rajasthan Road Trip : Queries

I am planning a road trip to Rajasthan from Mumbai in Mid October 2015. Originally from Rajasthan, I have never really seen the state outside the native place and looking to get a glimpse of the best places around there. Basis this thread and time availability, I have created an itinerary I need help with. Following is the tentative plan.

Day 1: Mumbai - Ahmedabad - 550 kms ~ 8 hours
Day 2: Ahmadabad - Jaisalmer - 535 kms ~ 9 Hours
Day 3: Jaisalmer
Day 4: Jaisalmer - Bikaner - 330 kms ~ 5 hours
Day 5: Bikaner - Jaipur - 350 kms ~ 5 hours
Day 6: Jaipur
Day 7: Jaipur Udaipur - 420 kms ~ 7 hours
Day 8: Udaipur
Day 9: Udaipur Mumbai - 750 kms ~ 12 hours
Total - 2935 kms

Queries:
  1. Do I need to add places like Pushkar / Ajmer / Jodhpur in this? I have already done Ranakpur so might give that a miss. How Do I fit them? I don't want too cut to cut trip
  2. Instead of Ahmedabad halt, I was wondering if I can stretch upto Mehsana so that Day 2 is a little lighter. Day 1 I will start only by 12
  3. How are the latest road conditions on NHs and SHs? From what I have gathered so far, roads are in perfect conditions throughout apart from some narrow roads in Marwar region.
  4. What are some interesting places on the way which shouldn't be missed. Common suggestion I have heard is longewala. Can I do this basis above itinerary?
  5. Random thought - Should I take off Jaipur and add Jodhpur / Mt Abu? Too many places worth seeing and hence confusing.
  6. Places I should not miss at the locations mentioned above. Something which is not quite touristy in general.

Just some dope about myself: This is my first post here and looking for some help to build an exciting trip. I would be travelling with wife and another couple (unsure) in my ANHC 2015 VMT with about 7k on ODO. While I love driving, I have done only a couple of Goa trips to be considered as Road trips so quite new to road travelling as such.
kushalshah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2015, 22:56   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushalshah View Post
[*]Do I need to add places like Pushkar / Ajmer / Jodhpur in this? I have already done Ranakpur so might give that a miss. How Do I fit them? I don't want too cut to cut trip
"need to add" is very relative.its a purely personal thing.We did a similar circuit as yours and we went to Pushkar/Ajmer on our way from Jaipur to Udaipur.The detour took us arnd 2-3 hours.

Quote:
[*]Instead of Ahmedabad halt, I was wondering if I can stretch upto Mehsana so that Day 2 is a little lighter. Day 1 I will start only by 12
Thats quite a bit of driving in the dark that you are going to do.AMD has better hotels than Mehsana for sure,unless you are looking at staying at somebody's place.

Quote:
[*]How are the latest road conditions on NHs and SHs? From what I have gathered so far, roads are in perfect conditions throughout apart from some narrow roads in Marwar region.
roads in RJ are always in pristine conditions.

Quote:
[*]What are some interesting places on the way which shouldn't be missed. Common suggestion I have heard is longewala. Can I do this basis above itinerary?
tanot mata temple and longowal,its around 130kms from jaisalmer,make sure you have enough fuel to last 300kms as there are no fuel pumps on the route to Tanot.

Quote:
[*]Random thought - Should I take off Jaipur and add Jodhpur / Mt Abu? Too many places worth seeing and hence confusing.
You can ideally do BOM-AMD-Jaisalmer-Jodhpur-Jaipur-Udp-Mt.Abu-AMD-Mumbai.But IMO Mt Abu can be given a pass.

A fair bit of detail is available on this tlogue of mine http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...than-m800.html
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2015, 14:25   #193
BHPian

Hello Experts

I am doing a family trip to Rajasthan with a 5 yo child. Below is my tentative plan.

Oct 10 - PM - Land at Jaipur
Oct 11 - AM to PM - Jaipur Sightseeing
Oct 12 AM - Drive to Agra - Vist Taj - Drive to Pilani
Oct 13 AM - BITS Pilani visit - Drive to Bikaner - shopping and rest
Oct 14 AM to PM - Bikaner Sightseeing
Oct 15 AM - Drive to Jaisalmer - visit fort
Oct 16 AM - Drive to Longewala - Tanot - Back to Jaisalmer - Evening at SAM
Oct 17 AM - Drive to Jaipur for return flight

I will be using a self-driven rental car for this trip. Accomodation at all places is already completed.

I need help with the following:
  • Recommendation on places to eat / freshen up on the route Jaipur - Agra - Pilani - Bikaner - Jaisalmer - Jaipur
  • Most optimum route to drive from Agra to Pilani - Map showing up multiple options
  • Any precautions to be taken considering it is going to be a yellow board vento
  • Any bad / unsafe roads to avoid?
  • any other friendly advise?

Would love to hear form you guys.
Yes.. Pilani is non-nego, so is Agra, so gives us very little time to play around. All of south Rajasthan will be covered in a separate round trip.
bigvishnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2015, 14:28   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Pramod. Looks like we will be doing Rajasthan form Bangalore round about the same time. Only diff is that i am limiting my trip to 8 nights, and flying into Jaipur on the 10th rather than drive from here. Share your final plan.. maybe catch up for dinner if we are at the same place, or..atleast a wave on the highway!
bigvishnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2015, 14:30   #195
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigvishnu View Post
Hello Experts

I am doing a family trip to Rajasthan with a 5 yo child. Below is my tentative plan.

O
Oct 13 AM - BITS Pilani visit - Drive to Bikaner - shopping and rest
Oct 14 AM to PM - Bikaner Sightseeing
There isn't much at Bikaner to spend full day at there. A fort and few sights here n there which you can do in first of of the morning and proceed to next destination.

Since you are going to Pilani, spend that saved day in the Shekhawawti region itself. Mandava and Nawalgarh are couple of good destinations famous for their heritage Havelies and forts, you should consider them.
tbppjpr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote