Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 24th December 2013, 13:36   #76
BHPian

Default Re: Yet another trip to Rajasthan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DipakDZireLover View Post
Saturday, 11 Jan 2014 - Mumbai to Udaipur - Stop overs will be similar to the last time.
I would suggest you to take Vadodra-Halol-Pavagarh-Godhra-Lunawara-Modasa-Shamlaji-Bichhiwara-Udaipur route. Road is four laned and in good condition and you can avoid traffic that is encountered after Vadodra express way on Ahmedabad ring road till Chiloda. On route you can visit Maha Kali Temple at Pavagarh. As the temple is on hill top you will require around 2 hrs. for Darshan. The road is upto Manchi Chowk, car can be parked at paid parking of Champaner hotel run by GTDC. From parking you can reach half way upto the hill by rope-way and from there you will have to climb about 250 stairs to reach the temple. The surroundings of Pavagarh Hills is very beautiful, if possible you can even plan one day stay there. Hotel Champaner run by GTDC is in sceneic location and quite good.
Next day you can also vist Shamlaji Temple which is adjacent to the highway after Modasa and befor Ratanpur . It will take around 4 hours to reach Udaipur from Pavagarh.

Quote:
Sunday, 12 Jan 2014 - Udaipur Local Sight Seeing - Recommendations for places to see?
Within the Udaipur City Jagdish Mandir, City Palace, Lake Picchola, Lake Palace, Jag Mandir, Badi Pal, Dudh Talai (Manikya Lal Verma Garden), Karni Mata Temple, Lake Fateh Sagar, Maharana Pratap Smarak Moti Mangri, Nehru Garden, Rani Road, Rajiv Gandi Udhyan, Shilp Gram, Sajjangarh Fort, Neemuch Mata Temple, Sahelion Ki Bari, Sukhadia Circle are the places, which you can visit.
Eklingji, Nathdwara, Haldi Ghati, Kumbhalgarh, Ranakpur are the places around Udaipur that wroth seeing.

Quote:
Wednesday, 15 Jan 2014 - Sawai Madhopur to Udaipur - Go to an uncle's place and rest. If body permits, go for shopping in the evening.
While returning from Sawai Madhopur you can visit Chittorgarh Fort and can take 1 day halt there. From Chittorgarh reach Kir-Ki-Chowki via Mangalwar and take Salumber road via Bhinder. The road upto Aspur is in good condition with less traffic and you can also visit Idana Mata Temple and Jaisamand on route.
Topolino is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2013, 14:20   #77
BHPian

Question Re: Yet another trip to Rajasthan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topolino View Post
I would suggest you to take Vadodra-Halol-Pavagarh-Godhra-Lunawara-Modasa-Shamlaji-Bichhiwara-Udaipur route. Road is four laned and ...
See, this is exactly why TBHP is so so good! Thanks Topolino for your suggestions. I am planning to include most of them.

I see that you are from Udaipur. The last time I had been there, people told me that there is CNG (not LPG) in Udaipur and I struggled for an hour wasting petrol in search for a CNG pump.

Let me know in case you are aware of any CNG pumps in Udaipur with the exact location?

Thanks
DipakDZireLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2013, 16:53   #78
BHPian

Default Re: Yet another trip to Rajasthan

Quote:
Let me know in case you are aware of any CNG pumps in Udaipur with the exact location?

Thanks
No, there is no CNG Pump in Udaipur. I think in Rajasthan you may find one in Jaipur, but that too I am not sure.
Old 26th December 2013, 18:45   #79
BHPian

Default re: Rajasthan Road Trip : Queries

What would be the best route between delhi and kumbhlagarh (road conditions wise) wouldi it be Via gomti chauraha? Nathdrwara or Udaipur?

And what about the route between kumbhalgarh and chittorgarh?

Thanks!
danish_c is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2013, 23:46   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danish_c View Post
What would be the best route between delhi and kumbhlagarh (road conditions wise) wouldi it be Via gomti chauraha? Nathdrwara or Udaipur?

And what about the route between kumbhalgarh and chittorgarh?

Thanks!
Road condition wise Kumbhalgarh via Udaipur is best, though it is longer by 160-170 kms. The road is throughout four lane upto Jaswantgarh. From Jaswantgarh to Sayra, for about 25 kms road is two lane single road, thereafter upto Kumbhalgarh, for about 30 kms road is single lane.
Topolino is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2013, 00:45   #81
BHPian

thanks! but a 160 kms diversion seems a bit too much..is it advisable to try the route from nathdwara or gomti or is it best avoided?
danish_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2013, 12:03   #82
BHPian

[quote=danish_c;3329076]thanks! but a 160 kms diversion seems a bit too much..is it advisable to try the route fr nathdwra or gomti or is it best avoided?[/QUOT]

If you have plan to visit Kumbhalgarh only, you can go via Gomti Chauraha-Charbhujaji. Road upto Beawar is 4 laned. From Beawar to Charbhujaji via Gomti (130 kms) road is wide enough to pass 3 trucks and in fair condition apart from few diversions. From Charbhujaji, Kumbhalgarh is about 30 kms, road is single lane and quite ok and will take 45-50 minutes to reach Kumbhalgarh.
Old 7th February 2014, 17:39   #83
BHPian

Dear Friends,

I am planning a road trip to Rajasthan next month. I seek the members' expert advice on the route planner and the road quality. Following is my itinerary and the route according to Google Maps.

Day 1 - Navi Mumbai to Gandhinagar

Navi Mumbai --> Vasai/Virar --> Vapi --> Valsad --> Anleshwar --> Vadodara --> Nadiad --> Ahmedabad --> Gandhinagar

--- Total Time 7 Hrs 33 Mins
--- Night Stay at GandhiNagar

Day 2 - Gandhinagar to Bikaner

Gandhinagar --> Mehsana --> Sidhpur --> Palanpur --> Sanchore --> Keriya --> Balotra --> Phalodi --> Kanji Ki Sind --> Bikaner

--- Total Time 10 Hrs 48 Mins
--- We will stay 3 Nights here at a friends place
--- This section shown by google appears dicey as it goes via some lonely places. Is this route good or going via Jodhpur --> Nagaur better?

Day 5 - Bikaner to Sawai Madhopur (Ranthamnore)

Bikaner --> Benisar --> Laxmangarh --> Sikar --> Jaipur --> Sawai Madhopur

--- Total Time 7 Hrs 30 Mins
--- Stay at resort in Ranthambore for 3 Nights. Safari Included.

Day 8 - Sawai Madhopur to Udaipur

Sawai Madhopur --> Lakheri --> Bundi --> Chittorgarh --> Udaipur

--- Total Time 6 Hrs 0 Min
--- Stay at a resort for the night.

Day 9 - Udaipur to Navi Mumbai

Udaipur --> Kherwara --> Modasa --> Anand --> Vadodara --> (the same route back) --> Navi Mumbai

--- Total Time 10 Hrs 34 Mins

Appreciate your comments!!
sukhoi30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2014, 18:49   #84
BHPian

Post re: Rajasthan Road Trip : Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi30 View Post
Dear Friends,

Day 1 - Navi Mumbai to Gandhinagar

Navi Mumbai --> Vadodara --> Gandhinagar

--- Total Time 7 Hrs 33 Mins

Day 2 - Gandhinagar to Bikaner

Gandhinagar --> Mehsana --> Sidhpur --> Palanpur --> Sanchore --> Keriya --> Balotra --> Phalodi --> Kanji Ki Sind --> Bikaner

--- Total Time 10 Hrs 48 Mins
--- We will stay 3 Nights here at a friends place
--- This section shown by google appears dicey as it goes via some lonely places. Is this route good or going via Jodhpur --> Nagaur better?

Day 5 - Bikaner to Sawai Madhopur (Ranthamnore)
Day 8 - Sawai Madhopur to Udaipur

Sawai Madhopur --> Lakheri --> Bundi --> Chittorgarh --> Udaipur

--- Total Time 6 Hrs 0 Min
--- Stay at a resort for the night.

Day 9 - Udaipur to Navi Mumbai

Udaipur --> Kherwara --> Modasa --> Anand --> Vadodara --> (the same route back) --> Navi Mumbai

--- Total Time 10 Hrs 34 Mins

Appreciate your comments!!

Vadodara to Ahmedabad - Please take the Expressway and not the old NH8. The toll of Rs.85 for a 90km long Awesome stretch is more than worth it.
Well, I am not sure why are you taking a halt at Gandhinagar. If there is no specific reason, you might want to consider staying in Ahmedabad and also checking the Daastan Farm if you are a car enthusiast, which I guess you must be.

You can check details here from my travelogue (Mount Abu - Ambaji - Gujarat : A CNG Trip)

Gandhinagar to Bikaner -> The road quality is good enough. You can do good speeds when on Gujarat roads. Post that too, the road quality is not that bad.

Bikaner to Sawai Madhopur -> I guess you are trying for the Tiger Safari @ Ranthambore. I have recently been there. The chances of tiger sighting are low when there is a lot of water in the jungle. So, better to check that. Also try to reach there early for the morning safari when the chances of tiger sighting are high. I was left disappointed because I went for the afternoon safari. Book a Gypsy and NOT a canter. Try to enjoy all the animals out there and not just the "tiger". I strongly recommend the dhaba/restaurant "Radha Govind" near the circle where you would definitely be crossing. In case you do, please convey my message saying that "Dipak Ranawat from Mumbai recommended you. He had been here with his family. " They are one of the most helping and wonderful people I have come across.

Sawai Madhopur to Udaipur - The route is good.

Udaipur to NAvi Mumbai -> I do not recommend that route. This is from my personal experience. Although on Google Maps, you might find it around 80kms shorter, in reality it takes much more time since the roads are bad and are single lane for a lot of time. My average speed from Udaipur to Himmatnagar to Ahmedabad to Vadodra was around 85-90 kmph whereas through Modasa, it was around 40-45 kmph. I took much more time due to the bad roads.

Hope this helps!

By the way, I like the way you have specified durations like "7 Hrs 33 Mins"
DipakDZireLover is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2014, 19:46   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Vadodara to Ahmedabad - Please take the Expressway and not the old NH8. The toll of Rs.85 for a 90km long Awesome stretch is more than worth it.
Yes, Google map shows the expressway only.

Quote:
Well, I am not sure why are you taking a halt at Gandhinagar. If there is no specific reason, you might want to consider staying in Ahmedabad and also checking the Daastan Farm if you are a car enthusiast, which I guess you must be.
Gandhinagar as I plan to meet up with a friend. Also, didn't want to get into Ahmedabad city and get out again next day. I could bypass Ahmedabad to reach Gandhinagar. It also reduces my next day drive time by at least an hour or so.

Quote:
Gandhinagar to Bikaner -> The road quality is good enough. You can do good speeds when on Gujarat roads. Post that too, the road quality is not that bad.
Good Thanks. But I am not sure if the route google shows is good enough or should I go via Jodhpur/Nagaur.

Quote:
Bikaner to Sawai Madhopur -> I guess you are trying for the Tiger Safari @ Ranthambore. I have recently been there. ... Book a Gypsy and NOT a canter. Try to enjoy all the animals out there and not just the "tiger". I strongly recommend the dhaba/restaurant "Radha Govind" near the circle where you would definitely be crossing. In case you do, please convey my message saying that "Dipak Ranawat from Mumbai recommended you. He had been here with his family. " They are one of the most helping and wonderful people I have come across.
Thanks a lot and you are right I am planning for the safari. Safari already booked so, no issues. Keeping fingers crossed for good sightings.
I will definitely try the dhaba you suggested and carry your recommendation.

Quote:
Udaipur to NAvi Mumbai -> I do not recommend that route. This is from my personal experience. Although on Google Maps, you might find it around 80kms shorter, in reality it takes much more time since the roads are bad and are single lane for a lot of time. My average speed from Udaipur to Himmatnagar to Ahmedabad to Vadodra was around 85-90 kmph whereas through Modasa, it was around 40-45 kmph. I took much more time due to the bad roads.
Thanks for this suggestion. It is most helpful.
Old 7th February 2014, 20:06   #86
BHPian

Smile re: Rajasthan Road Trip : Queries

Quote:
Thanks a lot and you are right I am planning for the safari. Safari already booked so, no issues. Keeping fingers crossed for good sightings.
I will definitely try the dhaba you suggested and carry your recommendation.
I hope you have booked the safari for Zone 1-5 and not the others. The chances, although they say are the same, is not the case. 1 to 5 are better and you also get to see the Fort.

Regarding the dhaba, just note that their food is more homely. Their rotis would not taste like the typical restaurants since they do not use maida but pure wheat atta. As for me, I simply loved the rotis. Right from the salad to the roti, subzi to the dal-rice and the papad; everything was really nice.

Hope you have a good time!
DipakDZireLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2014, 21:14   #87
BHPian

Sukhoi30
Hi.
Saw on your profile page that you own a Chevrolet.
If you are taking this car and in case you have the time and inclination do meet him.Mr.Surendra,General Manager,Bikaner. Very nice person and helpful.
You can refer me as the old man driving a cocktain green Beat to Leh, Delhi etc.
Whenever I used to pass through Chittaurgarh ( he was stationed there) made a point to meet him or speak to him. Have kept in touch on festivals to wish him.
Regards
faustus77 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2014, 22:14   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Sukhoi30 Hi. Saw on your profile page that you own a Chevrolet. If you are taking this car and in case you have the time and inclination do meet him.Mr.Surendra,General Manager,Bikaner. Very nice person and helpful. You can refer me as the old man driving a cocktain green Beat to Leh, Delhi etc. Whenever I used to pass through Chittaurgarh ( he was stationed there) made a point to meet him or speak to him. Have kept in touch on festivals to wish him. Regards
Hey thanks. I used to own Chevy UVA earlier. Since last year Hyundai Elantra is my ride. But good to know about friend.
Old 9th February 2014, 20:06   #89
BHPian

Quote:
I hope you have booked the safari for Zone 1-5 and not the others. The chances, although they say are the same, is not the case. 1 to 5 are better and you also get to see the Fort.

Regarding the dhaba, just note that their food is more homely. Their rotis would not taste like the typical restaurants since they do not use maida but pure wheat atta. As for me, I simply loved the rotis. Right from the salad to the roti, subzi to the dal-rice and the papad; everything was really nice.

Hope you have a good time!

I believe the resort people have booked zone 1-5. I told them specifically to do so. Then it all depends on luck.
Any advice on the Gandhinagar - Bikaner route?
Old 10th February 2014, 15:08   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Any advice on the Gandhinagar - Bikaner route?

This is the route that you specified. I know the road only till Sachore. Post that I have not driven myself, but from what I have heard from a few relatives, the roads are not that bad.

If I were to drive, I would have rather chosen the route via Abu Road - Sirohi - Pali - Jodhpur - Nagaur - Bikaner. Mainly because that is more known to me.

Maybe other experts can provide any road quality information for the route that you have chosen.
DipakDZireLover is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote