Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 10th February 2014, 23:28   #91
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default re: Rajasthan Road Trip : Queries

I am traveling from Delhi to Jaisalmer via Bikaner and wanted to know what route i need to take and how are the roads till Bikaner? I am driving down tomorrow afternoon so hope to reach by late evening to Bikaner if roads are good.
nitinralli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2014, 09:21   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
I am traveling from Delhi to Jaisalmer via Bikaner and wanted to know what route i need to take and how are the roads till Bikaner? I am driving down tomorrow afternoon so hope to reach by late evening to Bikaner if roads are good.
Delhi-Chandwaji-Chomu-Sikar-Bikaner-Pokhran-Jaisalmer

http://goo.gl/maps/03eR1

Jaisalmer-Pokhran-Dechoo-Jodhpur-Beawar-Ajmer-Kishangarh-Delhi

http://goo.gl/maps/sE3e2
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2014, 13:02   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DipakDZireLover View Post
Gandhinagar --> Mehsana --> Sidhpur --> Palanpur --> Sanchore --> Keriya --> Balotra --> Phalodi --> Kanji Ki Sind --> Bikaner

This is the route that you specified. I know the road only till Sachore. Post that I have not driven myself, but from what I have heard from a few relatives, the roads are not that bad.

If I were to drive, I would have rather chosen the route via Abu Road - Sirohi - Pali - Jodhpur - Nagaur - Bikaner. Mainly because that is more known to me.

Maybe other experts can provide any road quality information for the route that you have chosen.
Thanks Dipak. I think I will take the Jodhpur/Nagaur route. It is an hour longer but I guess it is a more safer route compared to the one I got from google.
sukhoi30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2014, 01:57   #94
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post

Delhi-Chandwaji-Chomu-Sikar-Bikaner-Pokhran-Jaisalmer

http://goo.gl/maps/03eR1

Jaisalmer-Pokhran-Dechoo-Jodhpur-Beawar-Ajmer-Kishangarh-Delhi

http://goo.gl/maps/sE3e2
Thanks. I took chomu road and I am in jaisalmer rightnow. How is the road from jaisalmer to ajmer route you said below? And how many kms is it?
nitinralli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2014, 05:38   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. I took chomu road and I am in jaisalmer rightnow. How is the road from jaisalmer to ajmer route you said below? And how many kms is it?

Jaisalmer Jodhpur Ajmer Jaipur Gurgaon road is good.
Jaislmr Jodhpu approx 250kms
jodhpur jaipur approx 330kms
Jaipur gurgaon approx 250kms

Check the google map link for accurate distances

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2014, 02:53   #96
BHPian

Quote:

Nitin, I am planning to leave on 15th by 5.30 am from Delhi to Jaisalmer. Based on your recent experience do you feel 14 -15 hours is doable? I will have Simba (my Fortuner AT) for company. No one else. Therefore, limited need based breaks. Only. Doable in 14-15 hours? Any insight you can provide on road conditions will be helpful and anything specific that I should be aware of? I will follow your route.

And, which route did you take to return? Need your insight here too.

Nayak
Traveller Nayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2014, 14:11   #97
BHPian

Default Re: Yet another trip to Rajasthan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topolino View Post
I would suggest you to take Vadodra-Halol-Pavagarh-Godhra-Lunawara-Modasa-Shamlaji-Bichhiwara-Udaipur route. Road is four laned and in good condition and you can avoid traffic that is encountered after Vadodra express way on Ahmedabad ring road till Chiloda.
Hi Topolino,

I am returning from Udaipur to Mumbai on a road trip planned next week. The above route your suggested, is it better than the one via Himmatnagar? How fast is the above route? Thanks!!!
sukhoi30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2014, 14:14   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi30 View Post
Hi Topolino,

I am returning from Udaipur to Mumbai on a road trip planned next week. The above route your suggested, is it better than the one via Himmatnagar? How fast is the above route? Thanks!!!
Should take you the same time.
Turn off 1 km after crossing Shamlaji town.
Limited facilities en route.
Fully 4-laned.
Some towns like Lunawada have no bypass.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2014, 17:58   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi30 View Post
Hi Topolino,

At present the road surface via Godhra is much better, on Ranakpur-Himmatnagar-Ahmedabad section tarmac has scrapped out at many places. Udaipur to Surat will take around 6-7 hours.
Topolino is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2014, 19:06   #100
BHPian

Hi all, I am planning a Delhi - Udaipur - Delhi trip between 15 - 17.

Rrom what I have read on the threads I can either go via jodhpur or via bikaner.

Any guidance on route and the roads will be helpful.
Old 12th March 2014, 20:00   #101
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveller Nayak View Post
From what I have read on the threads I can either go via jodhpur or via bikaner.
Any guidance on route and the roads will be helpful.
Neither.

Delhi-Jaipur-Ajmer-Bhilwara-Chittorh-Udaipur. (4-Lane all the way)

Last edited by ampere : 12th March 2014 at 20:01.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2014, 21:09   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Hi all, I am planning a Delhi - Udaipur - Delhi trip between 15 - 17.

Rrom what I have read on the threads I can either go via jodhpur or via bikaner.
Team: apologies. when i posted this i used a mobile device and instead of jaisalmer i ended up mentioning udaipur. i was discussing about udaipur with a friend and unconciously i mentioned udaipur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Neither.

Delhi-Jaipur-Ajmer-Bhilwara-Chittorh-Udaipur. (4-Lane all the way)
ampere: sorry for the confusion. unintentional. do share your thoughts about jaisalmer route!
Old 12th March 2014, 21:41   #103
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
ampere: sorry for the confusion. unintentional. do share your thoughts about jaisalmer route!

Good to check with others. My take:

New-Delhi-Jaipur-Ajmer-Nagaur-Jaisalmer
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2014, 10:10   #104
mvp
BHPian

Nayak, I did Jaipur - Ramgarh-Bikaner-Jaisalmer-Jodhpur-Pushkar-Jaipur last October and roads are excellent on all the routes. But, I am not sure about the most optimum route from Delhi to Jaisalmer. (may be via Bikaner could be the choice)

If you happen to go to Jaisalmer and have time, try visiting Tanot matta temple, which is about 125 km from Jaisalmer towards the border. Read this link for the history of this temple and is very interesting - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanot_Mata. This temple was also shot in the movie, "Border". The temple is now controlled by BSF and the drive from Jaisalmer to Tanot mata temple is excellent and is a "one of the kind"

22 Km from Tanot matta temple is the International boundary with Pakistan and you need permission from BSF to visit the border posts/camps. We were fortunate to get an impromptu permission from the BSF commander (office at Tanot Mata temple) and had the fortune of visiting the posts and camp office. The border is fenced with two layers of barbed wire and flood light too. Strictly not photography enroute from Tanot mata temple to the post and back.

Visit to Tanot mata temple and to the IB was the highlight of our trip.
mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2014, 21:41   #105
BHPian

Totally second mvp. Tanot is not to be missed. I was there in February. Road are very good.

Just two additional inputs.
  1. Getting the permission at Tanot to go to the border is a hit and miss - I was refused. Best to get it at BSF Ramgarh, which is halfway from Jaisalmer to Tanot or better still at BSF Jaisalmer itself. I am kicking myself for not doing that.
  2. Go to Longewala as well. Ramgarh, Tanot and Longewala form a triangle and the road from Tanot to Longewala features amazing desert scenery . The captured Pakistani tank and the vehicle from the 1971 Indo Pak War are still there. No permits required to go to Longewala.
Secretariat is online now   Reply With Quote