Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2014, 22:28   #121
BHPian
 
siedo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 122
Thanked: 11 Times
Default re: Rajasthan Road Trip : Queries

we are planning trip to Rajasthan in the first week of nove.
tentative plan is as below . will be leaving from pune early morning.

day 1 reach udaipur by evening
day 2 local sightseeing
day3 start early for jodhpur .cover ranaklpur nathdwara enrute
day 4 jodhpur local sight seeing
day 5 drive to jaisalmair & sightseeing
day 6 jaisalmair local and return.

request suggestion on the improvement in the plan and present road conditions.

Last edited by siedo : 28th October 2014 at 22:29. Reason: typo
siedo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2014, 22:52   #122
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 143
Thanked: 70 Times
Default re: Rajasthan Road Trip : Queries

Pune to Udaipur is possible if you start about 0500 hours from Pune. Thane to Udaipur will take about 12 to 13 hours. Excellent road all the way except for the narrow bridge at Bharuch.
Udaipur to Jodhpur and Jaisalmer is no issue. The last day drive from from Jaisalmer to Pune is strenous and will take about 18 to 20 hours. All over roads are good to excellent.
If you are comfortable with long nonstop drives as practised by HV Kumar, the plan is doable, otherwise add a couple more days.
SajiNSalin is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2014, 01:44   #123
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Madras,Modena
Posts: 1,044
Thanked: 663 Times
Default re: Rajasthan Road Trip : Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by siedo View Post
we are planning trip to Rajasthan
Considering adding 2-3 days. The plan will work as a 9 day trip. Pune-Jaisalmer will easily take 1.5 days drive. We hardly covered City Palace, Sajjangarh Palace and Pichola Lake ride in the 2 days we stayed in Udaipur. One day at least is required for Jaisalmer fort and the dunes alone. If you are planning to do Tanot-Longewala (that take a day for itself). Jodhpur-Jaisalmer drive will take 4 hrs at least. The more days you get, the more places you can see for the distance effort put in.
narayans80 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2014, 02:58   #124
BHPian
 
gauravdgr8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CG/CH
Posts: 473
Thanked: 364 Times
Default re: Rajasthan Road Trip : Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by siedo View Post

day 1 reach udaipur by evening
day 2 local sightseeing
day3 start early for jodhpur .cover ranaklpur nathdwara enrute
day 4 jodhpur local sight seeing
day 5 drive to jaisalmair & sightseeing
day 6 jaisalmair local and return.

request suggestion on the improvement in the plan and present road conditions.
Day 1. Reach Udaipur by evening
Day 2. Palace, Boat Ride, Local Temple, Local market, hilltop view
Day 3. As planned reach Jodhpur
Day 4. jodhpur sightseeing + local market
Day 5. To Jaisalmer + Fort
Day 6. Local + Tanot + Dunes
Day 7. As planned

Keep an extra day in between as you will be rushing through everything.
gauravdgr8 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2014, 10:13   #125
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: DL9C
Posts: 2,385
Thanked: 1,983 Times
Default re: Rajasthan Road Trip : Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by siedo View Post
we are planning trip to Rajasthan in the first week of nove.
tentative plan is as below . will be leaving from pune early morning.

day 1 reach udaipur by evening
day 2 local sightseeing
day3 start early for jodhpur .cover ranaklpur nathdwara enrute
day 4 jodhpur local sight seeing
day 5 drive to jaisalmair & sightseeing
day 6 jaisalmair local and return.

request suggestion on the improvement in the plan and present road conditions.
Can only update about the Udaipur - Jodhpur section.

Udaipur to Jodhpur via Ranakpur will be a long day. Ranakpur temple opens to tourists after 12pm. Keep that in mind when starting from Udaipur.

Route - Udaipur - Ranakpur - Sadri - Falna - Sanderao (join NH14) - Pali (join NH65) - Jodhpur.

Ranakpur - Sadri stretch is not good - village roads.
Sadri - Falna - Sanderao - Undivided single lane SH, road surface good.
NH14 - Expansion ongoing, diversions, excellent roads.
NH65 - Expansion ongoing, some diversions, excellent roads. Toll booths present but collection hasn't started as of Sep'14 last week.

ATB!
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2014, 11:21   #126
BHPian
 
siedo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 122
Thanked: 11 Times
Default re: Rajasthan Road Trip : Queries

Thanks for the suggestions sirs,

Will be driving in a I20 CRDI , hope same shall not be a challenge covering the surface planned!

@ SajiNsalin
Whether route via kapadganj modasa udaipur is advisable ?

The return journey is planned with halt at surat.

@ dry ice
If going via ranakpur involves a long day , can give it a pass.
what can be the alternate route if we wish to cover nathdwara and head to jodhpur?

@ Gauravdgr8@ narayan80
Thanks for the suggestions.
Can tanot- longewala & dunes be covered in a day?
If yes what are the advisable timings of the day ?
siedo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2014, 11:32   #127
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: DL9C
Posts: 2,385
Thanked: 1,983 Times
Default re: Rajasthan Road Trip : Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by siedo View Post
@ dry ice
If going via ranakpur involves a long day , can give it a pass.
what can be the alternate route if we wish to cover nathdwara and head to jodhpur?
If you have a spare day, and want to cover Nathdwara as well, I would suggest

Udaipur - Nathdwara - Kumbhalgarh (Night Stay)
Kumbhalgarh - Ranakpur - Jodhpur

That way you would be able to cover Kumbhalgarh fort as well. It isn't very far from Nathdwara, plus your day won't be too long. Kumbhalgarh - Ranakpur - Jodhpur would take you around 5+1 hrs. Near Kumbhalgarh and Ranakpur, the roads aren't very good - it's kind of a hilly terrain with twisty narrow roads.
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2014, 12:03   #128
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 178
Thanked: 77 Times
Default re: Rajasthan Road Trip : Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
If you have a spare day, and want to cover Nathdwara as well, I would suggest

Udaipur - Nathdwara - Kumbhalgarh (Night Stay)
Kumbhalgarh - Ranakpur - Jodhpur

That way you would be able to cover Kumbhalgarh fort as well. It isn't very far from Nathdwara, plus your day won't be too long. Kumbhalgarh - Ranakpur - Jodhpur would take you around 5+1 hrs. Near Kumbhalgarh and Ranakpur, the roads aren't very good - it's kind of a hilly terrain with twisty narrow roads.
I would seriously advice considering 1 more day to include Kumbhalgarh and Ranakpur as adviced above. Both places are a must see when visiting Rajasthan. I have not driven on this stretch, but have driven thru villages and rural areas in other parts of Rajasthan and so can vouch that it can really slow you down.

Also you will be reaching Jaisalmer by evening and will have to start by mid day atleast next day to reach Surat by late evening. Thats hardly any time there. You will need atleast 1 full day to cover the Jaisalmer fort, Sam sand dunes, a night camp in the desert.
Sandy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2014, 14:10   #129
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Madras,Modena
Posts: 1,044
Thanked: 663 Times
Default re: Rajasthan Road Trip : Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by siedo View Post
Can tanot- longewala & dunes be covered in a day?
Yes, if you start very early in the day like 6-7am from Jaisalmer with packed food it is possible, but expect a long day of drive ahead. There are hardly any places to eat or tank up in the Jaisalmer-Tanot-Longewala-Jaisalmer circuit. Tank up in Jaisalmer itself. Only place to have any snacks is the army canteen at Tanot. There might be few options, but most are small, so packed food is a better bet.

If you are going to Sam, it is another 50 km in a different direction.

We had been on the route Dry Ice suggested 2.5 years back. A 9 am start from Udaipur landed us at Jodhpur around 4pm visiting Ranakpur and breaking for lunch for 40 min.

The first 50-60 km from Jodhpur to Jaisalmer was terribly broken as well in 2012. Not sure if it is the same state now. Beyond that is a great 2-lane with minimal traffic.

Be wary that you can find lot of characters from 'Animal Planet' and 'Discovery Channel' basking in the sun in the middle of the road This is one annoyance on an otherwise high speed stretch.
narayans80 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2014, 22:21   #130
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 143
Thanked: 70 Times
Default re: Rajasthan Road Trip : Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by siedo View Post
Thanks for the suggestions sirs,

Will be driving in a I20 CRDI , hope same shall not be a challenge covering the surface planned!

@ SajiNsalin
Whether route via kapadganj modasa udaipur is advisable ?

The return journey is planned with halt at surat.

@ dry ice
If going via ranakpur involves a long day , can give it a pass.
what can be the alternate route if we wish to cover nathdwara and head to jodhpur?

@ Gauravdgr8@ narayan80
Thanks for the suggestions.
Can tanot- longewala & dunes be covered in a day?
If yes what are the advisable timings of the day ?
Ahmedabad to Udaipur bypassing Himmatnagar and Shyamlaji is very good. There is no need to go to Modassa.
SajiNSalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2014, 11:54   #131
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: chennai
Posts: 472
Thanked: 124 Times
Default re: Rajasthan Road Trip : Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by siedo View Post
we are planning trip to Rajasthan in the first week of nove.
tentative plan is as below . will be leaving from pune early morning.

day 1 reach udaipur by evening
day 2 local sightseeing
day3 start early for jodhpur .cover ranaklpur nathdwara enrute
day 4 jodhpur local sight seeing
day 5 drive to jaisalmair & sightseeing
day 6 jaisalmair local and return.

request suggestion on the improvement in the plan and present road conditions.
Pl read this travelogue.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...re-des-23.html (Rajasthan - Padharo Mhare Des)

It is a Bible for all who visit Rajasthan.
skdking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2014, 15:43   #132
Senior - BHPian
 
sdp1975's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,573
Thanked: 880 Times
Default re: Rajasthan Road Trip : Queries

Need some help in planning my Rajasthan road trip in December , particularly on the routes for D4,D5 and D6.

Places to cover : Udaipur , Jaisalmer , Jodhpur , Ajmer, Pushkar, Jaipur , Agra , Benaras , Kolkata.

Tentative plan :

D1 : Bangalore to Pune on AH47, 900 km. Night halt at Pune.
D2 : Pune to Udaipur via NH8, bypass Mumbai , 900km. Night halt at Udaipur
D3 : Spend Day in Udaipur .
D4 : Udaipur to Jaisalmer , 500km. What's the best route to take ? Night halt at Jaisalmer.
D5 : Jaisalmer to Jodhpur , 300km. What's the best route ? Night halt at Jodhpur.
D6 : Jodhpur to Ajmer & Pushkar, 200km . What's the best route ? Night halt at Ajmer.
D7 : Ajmer to Jaipur via NH8, 130 km : Night halt at Jaipur.

From Jaipur thereafter to Agra on NH11 followed by Benaras and Kolkata on the GQ. Any rerouting is fine so long as I can cover these places.
sdp1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2014, 16:01   #133
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,567
Thanked: 1,686 Times
Default re: Rajasthan Road Trip : Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
D4 : Udaipur to Jaisalmer , 500km. What's the best route to take ? Night halt at Jaisalmer.
Udaipur-Abu Road-Palanpur-Disa-Sanchore-Tharad-Barmer-Jaisalmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
D5 : Jaisalmer to Jodhpur , 300km. What's the best route ? Night halt at Jodhpur.
Jaisalmer-Pokharan-Dechhu-Jodhpur

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
D6 : Jodhpur to Ajmer & Pushkar, 200km . What's the best route ? Night halt at Ajmer.
Jodhpur-Barr-Beawar-Ajmer-Pushkar
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2014, 18:10   #134
Senior - BHPian
 
Sudipto-S-Team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,292
Thanked: 247 Times
Default re: Rajasthan Road Trip : Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy28 View Post
I would seriously advice considering 1 more day to include Kumbhalgarh and Ranakpur as adviced above. Both places are a must see when visiting Rajasthan.
to that. Here are a few pics.

Name:  Fort_1978.jpg
Views: 842
Size:  52.4 KB

The fort at night

Rajasthan Road Trip : Queries-road_1828.jpg

On the road between Udaipur and Kumbhalgarh

Rajasthan Road Trip : Queries-littlegirlkgarh_1831.jpg

On the road near Kumbhalgarh

Name:  ChangeableHawkEagle_1881.jpg
Views: 1027
Size:  133.1 KB

A Changeable Hawk Eagle inside the National Park
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2014, 19:10   #135
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 52
Thanked: 33 Times
Default re: Rajasthan Road Trip : Queries

Myself and 2 of my friends will be doing a road trip to the wildlife sanctuaries of Rajasthan starting 14th Nov. We are focusing only on the wilderness places and have not considered any historic or places of other importance into the itinerary. We will be driving a Ford Endeavor and driving only during daytime. Following is the plan. Request experts to review and post their comments on the plan. We have reservations in Forest rest houses in the Wildlife sanctuaries.

D1 Bangalore to Mumbai
D2 Mumbai to Kumbhalgarh. Route: Vadodra - Ahemedabad - Udaipur- Gogunda - Saira - Kumbhalgarh
D3 Stay in Kumbhalgarh Wildlife Sanctuary
D4 Kumbhalgarh to Ranthambore Route: Bhilwara - Jahazpur - Tonk - Sawai Madhopur
D5 Stay in Ranthambore National Park
D6 Ranthambore to Dholpur. Route: Gangapur - Dholpur
D7 Dholpur to Bharatpur. Route: Dholpur - Roopvas - Bharatpur (NH 3A)
D8 Stay in Bharatpur Sanctuary
D9 Bharatpur to Sariska. Route: Bharatpur - Nadbai - Rajgarh - Sariska (SH 44)
D10 Stay in Sariska National Park
D11 Sariska to Tal Chapper. Route: Sariska - Sikar - Tal Chapper
D12 Stay in Tal Chapper Wildlife Sanctuary
D13 Tal Chapper to Desert NP. Route: Mukam - Khichan - Jaisalmer - Desert National Park
D14 Stay in Desert National Park
D15 Stay in Desert National Park and visit Jaisalmer
D16 Desert NP to Mumbai
D17 Mumbai to Bangalore

Queries:

1. D2 Mumbai to Kumbhalgarh. There are some suggestion in the forum that Vadodra-Halol-Pavagarh-Godhra-Lunawara-Modasa is a better route as compared to via Ahemedabad. Can the experts please confirm this.
2. I read in the forum that the NH8 bridge across Narmada is fine. Ankleshwar Baruch detour is not necessary
dish is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advise needed on Rajasthan road trip from Bangalore Nitin Mathur Route / Travel Queries 81 18th June 2015 16:26
Royal Rajasthan - A 4200km road trip through Rajasthan nix1976in Travelogues 85 15th November 2013 09:18
Rajasthan Road Trip - Advises Required vkochar Route / Travel Queries 43 22nd October 2010 15:57
A Royal Rajasthan Road Trip Diwali 2006 ajmat Travelogues 17 12th May 2008 01:35


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:45.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks