Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 19th August 2010, 16:33   #16

I have another query HVK and others -

I will be driving alone from Mumbai to EKM, and would defintely only drive during the day.. Whats the situation with the cops and checkposts ..specially in TN and Kerala..Having a Maharashtra registration plate in the south would look like a chace for a quick buck for our khakhi friends !.. anything I need to be aware of..PUC, original car papers, toll receipts etc etc ?
Umesh D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 19:37   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umesh D View Post
I will be driving alone from Mumbai to EKM, and would defintely only drive during the day.. Whats the situation with the cops and checkposts ..specially in TN and Kerala..Having a Maharashtra registration plate in the south would look like a chace for a quick buck for our khakhi friends !.. anything I need to be aware of..PUC, original car papers, toll receipts etc etc ?
No problem with cops in a car, they are after SUVs thinking they are taxis on private number plates. Carry all your original documents. Cops in TN/KL do not harass you on the pretext that you are running locally with out-of-state registration, that problem happens only in AP and KA (sometimes).
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 19:39   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umesh D View Post
I have another query HVK and others -

The HVKumar has spoken and I second it. Thre is likely to be no problems from cops in Kerala.
llamrei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2010, 12:52   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamrei View Post
The HVKumar has spoken and I second it. Thre is likely to be no problems from cops in Kerala.
Normally they don't bother anyone ( unless its end of month or they are running short of their targets). I went to chennai recently on KA regn car and was stopped for checking on a Sunday morning. We had all the documents except the original RC ( realized that toll receipts are extremely useful to prove your time of travel) . Had to settle for Rs.200 after the initial demand of 3K. One thing for sure, if they decide to get some money, they will find a way.
It was my n'th trip to chennai and the first time i was stopped. so it's quite rare I guess.
sbkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2010, 13:10   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
I went to chennai recently on KA regn car and was stopped for checking on a Sunday morning. We had all the documents except the original RC ( realized that toll receipts are extremely useful to prove your time of travel) . Had to settle for Rs.200 after the initial demand of 3K. One thing for sure, if they decide to get some money, they will find a way.
It was my n'th trip to chennai and the first time i was stopped. so it's quite rare I guess.
I went to Conoor once and the TN cop stopped my Scorpio claiming it to be a taxi and demanded 5K. Refused to listen to my telling him I was a private car with my family on a holiday. Finally, after being nice, I had to tell him that I was staying (which I was) in one of the old bungalows in Conoor which probably signalled to him that I did have some local connections (and that too someone who mattered) before he let me off without a single paisa. Similarly, I have been stopped in Kanyakumari District of TN by rude cops who have tried to make a fast buck just because you are from out of the State and a "Hindi" wala who had so much money that he could afford to drive down from Bombay to KK! Another hot spot is the TN-KL border at Amaravila (NH47, Nagercoil-Trivandrum highway) where they suspect everyone with a large vehicle of being a smuggler, stop, search and interrogate you before letting you go in the night time.
Old 23rd August 2010, 13:20   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
Normally they don't bother anyone ( unless its end of month or they are running short of their targets). I went to chennai recently on KA regn car and was stopped for checking on a Sunday morning. We had all the documents except the original RC ( realized that toll receipts are extremely useful to prove your time of travel) . Had to settle for Rs.200 after the initial demand of 3K. One thing for sure, if they decide to get some money, they will find a way.
But are folks supposed to carry original RC book? If it gets lost/misplaced it is a bigger problem right?
(Sorry for sounding ignorant here).

I have always carried a Xerox copy of RC book, Insurance and original pollution certificate. Is that not enough?
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2010, 13:32   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
But are folks supposed to carry original RC book? If it gets lost/misplaced it is a bigger problem right?

I have always carried a Xerox copy of RC book, Insurance and original pollution certificate. Is that not enough?
I used to think the same too. So I came back and searched for discussion on this. Apparently we are supposed to carry the original RC, or at least that's what I understood from the posts to this thread -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...d-carried.html (What original documents should be carried?)
Old 23rd August 2010, 13:32   #23
Senior - BHPian

I carry originals of all documents wherever I go. Whatever be the rule, one cannot go around convincing, coaxing or persuading cops as to whether photocopies are acceptable or not at different places around the country.
Old 23rd August 2010, 13:46   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
From Dindigul onwards, road is 2-laned.
There will be sparse traffic in night, and there will be neither hotels nor petrol pumps open on this route till Kottayam. You may get some tea shops at Kumili.
Route is straightforward, no chances of getting lost. Signages are decent.
Safety is not an issue. No wildlife, no law and order problem.
Despite the 100 kms extra (as you say), it is faster to take this route than the Palakkad route.
Quick Distance comparisons:
Bangalore-Coimbatore-Angamali 520 kms-Kottayam 90 kms, totalling around 600 kms
Bangalore-Dindigul 400 kms-Kumili 130 kms-Kottayam 120 kms, totalling around 650 kms
Wanted to update with my experience.

Since I had to pick a friend up from Theni, took the Salem-Dindigul-Theni route. After that he suggested we take the Bodi-Rajakkad-Kothamangalam route as it would be quite scenic so ended up taking this route to Allepey. It was quite scenic especially early in the morning with mist and slight drizzle. Quite a beautiful route but not an easy one to drive with very narrow roads and mad private buses and jeeps plying along. The traffic was not so bad from Bodi to Adimali. But from there, all the way to Allepey, it was quite painful. Took a very long time indeed 17 hrs (of course with lots of breaks in between, trust me its hard to resist on this most beautful route I have ever driven, Bodi to Kothamangalam section) - The total distance was around 675 kms ( Bangalore-Salem-Dindigul-Theni-Bodi-Rajakkad-Adimali-Kothamangalam-Muvattupuzha-Cochin-Allepey). Nh-47 is bad with lot of patch works and too much traffic from Cochin to Allepey.
Old 23rd August 2010, 15:06   #25
Senior - BHPian

Attested photocopies of original documents, except PUC is sufficient for 7 days. You need to produce the originals within 7 (or prorably, 14) days. WHile on a long trip, will you return to produce the original documents?

Therefore, carry the originals with you. And attested photocopies in some luggage too. Just in case.

For those wanting to take NH 17 - 2 days back, with a 7.15 PM start from Kannur an amby reached Parur (approx 20 KM from Kochi/ Ernakulam) at 2.15 AM. It is the NH 17 in KA that is real bad. So, Mum > Blr > Salem > Cbe > Tsr > Ernakulam.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2010, 17:27   #26
BHPian

Quote:

You have to carry the original documents always, including insurance. That is the law. I keep them in the car always. Photocopies at home and office. In my travels with KA registered vehicle in Kerala, Tamilnadu and quiet a few other states and I never had any problems. I drive a sedan and that could be the reason as well.

BTW, I had to give my RC book to RTO, Bangalore south for removal of hypothication. They give smart cards now and it takes two weeks. They gave me one paper with RTO seal saying the original RC is with them and new one will be delivered by 31st August. When I asked them whether I can travel with that, they said I can travel with that acknowledgment till 31st August. I believed their words and am currently in Pune having driven from Bangalore. Many a times, I have been stopped before Kohlapur to check the documents and I will know what is in store if they stop me this time.

Nainar
anainar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2010, 18:01   #27
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for that info. For my old I car I have the RC book. For the second one I have a smart card. (Though I dont drive the second car outside the city)

So I need to carry all originals for long drives (esp across the state border(s) ).
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2010, 21:53   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If you are travelling out of state,all original documents are to be carried.Also if you are driving your friend's car and the friend isnt travelling with you,it is always advisable to carry a letter from him with a copy of his DL stating that he has given the car to you.This is to prevent unnecessary hassles of answering qs as to whether car is stolen etc.

Another point is if you meet with an accident for which an insurance claim is needed,then for the claim,all original documents are to be submitted.Imagine having to travel 1000s of kilometers just to bring your original document and then having to travel back.
ranjitp1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2010, 03:17   #29

Default - original documents in the car -

Haven't made longer trips back home for years.
However I used to do quite a but of interstate travel in the South and always kept the originals with a full set of photocopies. Usually one would get away with showing the itchy-fingered cops the copies. This I started doing after one experience where he refused to return the original without some 'tea' in return - even though there was absolutely no problem!!!

Safe trip!

Cheers!
dubeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 16:44   #30

hi friends,

With about a week to go, the trip is still on! .. My Santro Xing is King gets a major servicing done in Mumbai as I type this from London. Below is a rough distance map, I plan to break for the night in Bagalore or atleast Tumkur and then reach EKM end of nect day. Let me know if this looks good, and any scenic/photo spots I may encounter on the way. Thanks!!

DESTINATION DISTANCE TOTAL DISTANCE

MUMBAI 0 0
PUNE 150 150
SATARA 115 265
KOLHAPUR 120 385
BELGAUM 110 495
HUBLI 100 595
CHITRADURGA 200 795
TUMKUR 130 925
BANGLORE
(NH4/ NICE Ring Rd) 50 975
HOSUR (NH7) 65 1040