Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 13th August 2010, 14:38   #1

Default Mumbai to Kochi round trip : Advice needed

Need some expert advice.. I am planning a solo road trip from Mumbai to Ernakulam (Kerala) in Nov 2010.
My rough itinery is :

Day 1 : Mumbai - Hubli via NH4 , then NH 63 / NH 17 upto Mangalore. I am hoping to start from Mumbai at 5 Am and reach Mangalore by 7-8 PM. Take a night halt at Mangalore

Day 2 : Mangalore - Ernakumal via NH17, start at 5 AM and reach Ernakulam by 2 PM.

Is this do-able, considering the speed limitations on NH 17 ? . I am a long haul driver and have done Mumbai Bangalore (1000 kms) in a single day (17 hrs including breaks), so I am hoping my calculations are right
Any advice or alternate routes would be appreciated. I am on a tight schedule so the fastest route is my preference. I am driving my Santro Xing is King!

Thanks ,
- Umesh
Umesh D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 16:07   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

There is a thread on travelogue session by someone ( a Safari owner) who did this route. Please search ( sorry that I forgot his name, starts with D )
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 16:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

IMO,going via Blore would be a faster option than going via Mangalore,as the NH-4-NH7-NH47 combo would be a fast drive & is 4laned at many places and would be in far better conditions than NH17.

Moreover,once you enter Kerala on nH17,you would encounter heavy traffic and would slow you down.

Distance-wise I dont think its a major difference.
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 16:40   #4
Senior - BHPian

I agree with ranjitp1. NH17 is in a bad shape after the rains in some sections in KA and KL and the route via Bangalore will get you to EKM faster. From Bangalore, you have the choice of going via Mysore & Nilambur, Salem & Coimbatore or Salem, Dindigul & Kumili. You can stop over in either Bangalore or Chitradurga on day 1 and comfortably reach EKM on Day 2.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 21:00   #5

Thanks hvkumar and ranjitp...After some more thought, I have decided to take the Blore - Salem - Coimbatore route. I coudnt find any NHs on the Mysore-Nilambur-Sultan Bhatery route..I guess that is mostly state roads, through national parks etc, which would further slow things down?
Hows NH7 and 47 - which one is 4 laned? I am definitely avoiding the un divided 2 lanes of NH17, having seen how the Kerala state transport bus drivers drive!
Umesh D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 22:34   #6
Senior - BHPian

The route via Mysore is on good roads unlike the NH47 which sees congestion from Avinashi onwards almost all the way to Kochi. And bad roads after Palakkad.

NH7 is 5-laned all the way to Sale, NH47 is 4-laned till Avinashi only and the last stretch into Kochi. Don;t worry, none of the roads are as bad as NH17 is.
Old 16th August 2010, 22:59   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
And bad roads after Palakkad.
Sir, I was there during Dec 2009 & they were not great, but good to maintain 40-60 Kmph. Is that the current state? I'm asking this as I'm planning to ply via this road this weekend. If its worse, pls suggest an alternative.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 23:12   #8
Senior - BHPian

Currently, I am told that the Palakkad-Trissur road is very bad and NH47 south of Chertala till beyond Kollam is also in a bad shape. In case you are going south of Kochi, you can always take NH45 to Dindigul/Madurai and go via Thekkady/Tenkasi.
Old 17th August 2010, 05:43   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In case you are going south of Kochi, you can always take NH45 to Dindigul/Madurai and go via Thekkady/Tenkasi.
No Sir, I'm going to Muvattupuzha, to precise. Route I'll be taking is Chennai-Krishnagiri-Salem-Coimbatore-Palakkad-Thrissur-Kalady-Muvattupuzha. I hope this route is good. I didn't understand that you were talking about Sherthala stretch. Sorry.
Old 17th August 2010, 12:56   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Currently, I am told that the Palakkad-Trissur road is very bad and NH47 south of Chertala till beyond Kollam is also in a bad shape. In case you are going south of Kochi, you can always take NH45 to Dindigul/Madurai and go via Thekkady/Tenkasi.
hi hvkumar,
I am planning Blr - Allepey this weekend. Thanks to aargee saw your updates here. As per google maps, Dindigul-Kumuli route is 100 kms more than cbe-palakkad route. Also if I am right its a two lane road from Dindigul onwards. Would you still recommend taking this route rather than cbe-palakkad-thrissur. Planning to start on Thursday evening from Bangalore.
Would really appreciate your thoughts on this.
sbkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2010, 13:05   #11
Senior - BHPian

From Dindigul onwards, road is 2-laned.
There will be sparse traffic in night, and there will be neither hotels nor petrol pumps open on this route till Kottayam. You may get some tea shops at Kumili.
Route is straightforward, no chances of getting lost. Signages are decent.
Safety is not an issue. No wildlife, no law and order problem.
Despite the 100 kms extra (as you say), it is faster to take this route than the Palakkad route.
Quick Distance comparisons:
Bangalore-Coimbatore-Angamali 520 kms-Kottayam 90 kms, totalling around 600 kms
Bangalore-Dindigul 400 kms-Kumili 130 kms-Kottayam 120 kms, totalling around 650 kms
Old 17th August 2010, 13:31   #12
BHPian

Quote:
From Dindigul onwards, road is 2-laned.
There will be sparse traffic in night, and there will be neither hotels nor petrol pumps open on this route till Kottayam. You may get some tea shops at Kumili.
Route is straightforward, no chances of getting lost. Signages are decent.
Safety is not an issue. No wildlife, no law and order problem.
Despite the 100 kms extra (as you say), it is faster to take this route than the Palakkad route.
Quick Distance comparisons:
Bangalore-Coimbatore-Angamali 520 kms-Kottayam 90 kms, totalling around 600 kms
Bangalore-Dindigul 400 kms-Kumili 130 kms-Kottayam 120 kms, totalling around 650 kms
Thank you so much for the quick response. Helps a lot to get first hand info on such circumstances.
sbkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2010, 18:29   #13
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Aargee, I won't be surprised if HVK suggests you to take Dindigul - Theni - Bodi - Munnar route for you

Incidentally I wanted to go from Sringeri to Mangalore - Angamally - Kaladi (which I wanted to visit) - Muvattupuzha - Munnar - Theni - Batlagundu (which I wanted to visit) - Madurai - Tirunelveli in my dec trip.
But since I fell ill and stayed extra in Sringeri, I had to change my route to Sringeri - CKM - Hassan - Mysore - Chamarajanagara - Sathy - Karur - NH7 to Nellai.

Last edited by MX6 : 17th August 2010 at 18:35.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2010, 18:48   #14
Senior - BHPian

Oh!!! Boy!!! I'm confused now MS!!! which one should I take? Munnar route or the usual Thrissur route? I prefer taking the Thrissur route as I heard an update that its not that bad.

BTW, let me know when you want to visit Kalady, my Aunt & cousin stay in the agraharam house provided by temple & its only a seconds walk from her home to temple which is on the shores of river Kalady. I'll be visiting them in my current trip. Sorry about the OT
Old 17th August 2010, 19:12   #15
MX6
Senior - BHPian

I'd suggest stick to the thrissur routes. You've planned this for a while and the mind is set. It's not all that bad so stick to it. You know what to expect in this route that's in your mind for so many weeks now.
Thanks for the offer. I planned a trip to Palghat to attend an ex-team member's wedding and thought of combining kaladi and guruvayoor too. But then I had to cancel. Same day, Endhiran is releasing
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote