Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 13th August 2010, 16:37   #1
Default Coimbatore to Udupi - Advice needed on Best Route

I am planning to drive to Udupi and back from Coimbatore in October in my Tata Indigo. As I am taking my aged parents along with me, I would like to take it easy, driving no more than 6 hours a day, taking time to see temples and other sight seeing places enroute.

I see three possible routes. Each seems to have some advantages and disadvantages.

(A) Take the NH to Palakkad, and then head to Udupi via Mangalore along the Coastal Highway via Kozhikode and Kasaragod. I expect the road surface will be better as this is a NH, but there could be more truck traffic. I had a bad experience with rash bus and taxi drivers in Kerala and I will have to face them in this route.

(B) Coimbatore - Mysore - Madikeri - Udupi. May be a much more scenic route, but I heard that the road in the ghat section before and after Madikeri is quite bad after the monsoons.

(C) Coimbatore - Mysore - Hassan - Sakleshpur - Udupi. A longer route, but avoids the ghat section via Madikeri. A year ago, I heard some horror stories about the road condition at the Shirali ghat on this route.

I will be grateful for advice on the current road and traffic conditions on these three routes - I do not mind taking a longer route if it means a more comfortable drive on a better road. Thanks!
vartakavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2010, 11:31   #2
Team-BHP Support

Sampaje ghat is anytime better, I have taken this route many times in the last 2-3 months.

Your routes should be:

Coimbatore-Palakkad-Calicut-Kasargodu-Mangalore-Udupi. (this is the shorter route)
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote