Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 3rd September 2010, 10:23   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
I would highly recommend the Gudalur route too since its your honeymoon trip. It is much more scenic and easier to drive rather than the steep climbs you have to do through the Masinagudi route (36 steep hairpin bends) You have to be constantly on first/second gears to do this route.

Sorry, don't agree. It is easy to climb up in 2nd & 3rd gears (if you get your momentum right), and the route is more scenic. The jungle is also different - looks similar to the African Savannah after you cross Masinagudi.

You can try going up through Kalhatti, and coming down via Gudalur to get the best of both worlds. Coming down through Kalhatti is more of a pain (pain for the car, not the driver), with constant engine braking.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 3rd September 2010 at 10:25.
nilanjanray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2010, 10:42   #32
Team-BHP Support

I did some searches and the following is what I could gather:

1. How did I get to know about it? Kenneth Anderson's Books
2. Moyar valley is the one which joins the Eastern and the western ghats
The gorge in this valley is supposed to be very scenic.
3. The valley also separates Bandipur and Mudumalai parks.
4. The moyar river dumps it's water into the Bhavani river at the Bhavani Sagar Dam.
The attached picture shows the river. (faded blue marking from Masinagudi to Bhavani Sagar)
Banglore-Mysore-Bandipur-Ooty-moyar_river.jpg

5. One way to approach is a road that diverts from Masinagudi and which leads to the power station. There are few lakes around this regions mainly used by Tigers and elephants to have water.

6. I am not sure what all permits are needed to venture into this region.
More importantly I am also not sure if it is safe.

7. Some articles for reference:

The Hindu Business Line : How green is my Moyar Valley

Snap of a tiger pugmark taken in the valley:

Tiger Pugmark | Keyword Album: Moyar Valley - C.R. Jayaprakash Photographs on Media and Environment
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2010, 15:44   #33
BHPian

@moyar valley trek / visit:
It is illegal to go trekking anywhere in mudumalai / most TN forest ranges
If you are part of a census team and if you get posted to the moyar beat, then you have a chance of viewing some spectacular views.
If you take the jeep safari at Bandipur through jungle lodges or other private safari providers, if you dont sight any animals, they may take you to the moyar gorge view point to keep you happy
The same may happen on mudumalai van safari. When the moyar falls is in full flow, it is a sight to behold.
You can see the full flow moyar falls view picture here
Vacation In India Wildlife Tour India Enjoy Trekking Bird Watching Tiger Safari Fishing

It is definitely not legal / safe to go trekking in the mudumalai area due to elephants

@yogeshnagpal
I presume you are getting married in December and travelling in Jan. Dont even think of travelling on the 24th / 25th Dec. You will be shocked to everybody from bangalore driving like crazy to somewhere outside. The traffic madness on the christmas eve deserves a separate thread. I will post it later when I get time. The NHAI tollgate at Krishnagiri collected 12 lakhs in a single day from roughly 50K vehicles. There was a huge 3 km traffic jam at the toll gate and the police forced the toll gate guys to open the free lane on the side to release the pressure. You really dont want to be caught in that mad traffic.

If you are planning to Coorg from Ooty, then drive down to bandipur, gundelpet, begur, take a left towards HD Kote - hunsur - then where ever to in Coorg (especially Siddapur, Kushal nagar)
If you are planning to go to Kutta / Gonikoppal / Virajpet / madikeri then I would suggest Ooty - Gudalur - Sultan Bathery - Manathavady - Kartikulam - Kutta - to where ever in coorg If posssible do a stop over at Wayanad

Ideal schedule will be Blr - Mys (Halt) - Bandipur (halt) - Ooty via Kalhatty (halt) - via Gudalur to Coorg (Halt) - Mys (halt) - Blr

Best regards
Bala
balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2010, 07:12   #34
BHPian

It is also very important to remember that Bandipur range is closed for traffic from 9pm to 6am. And they are pretty strict about the timings. This weekend we were staying in Bandipur JLR and went for a slow evening drive from Bandipur to Masinagudi. On our way back (in TN side) we saw a huge tusker and happily spent some time watching him in headlights. When we returned back to Karnataka border they won't let us in (it was 9:05pm). Finally after a lot of begging (in my completely broken Kannada) they did. Phew. So don't be adventurous to be out in Bandipur forest in late evening, you may get locked out.
kousik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2010, 07:17   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kousik View Post
It is also very important to remember that Bandipur range is closed for traffic from 9pm to 6am. And they are pretty strict about the timings. This weekend we were staying in Bandipur JLR and went for a slow evening drive from Bandipur to Masinagudi. On our way back (in TN side) we saw a huge tusker and happily spent some time watching him in headlights.

Not sure how correct is that. Tuskers do get carried away by seeing headlights.
That could have been dangerous.
Old 15th September 2010, 11:11   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Not sure how correct is that. Tuskers do get carried away by seeing headlights.
That could have been dangerous.
I understand your concern. We kept *quite* a respectable distance from the tusker. I understand the signs of discomfort (been watching wildlife since past 11 years), and the guy was at ease. In fact we got bored and proceeded in our way.
Old 17th September 2010, 00:12   #37
BHPian

Quote:
I understand your concern. We kept *quite* a respectable distance from the tusker. I understand the signs of discomfort (been watching wildlife since past 11 years), and the guy was at ease. In fact we got bored and proceeded in our way.
Well they are called wildlife for all the right reasons. You can never be careful enough with elephants / other animals. Even the huge camp (tame) tuskers which lurk around the elephant camp during night tend to get irritated easily. Also there is one male in heat at present at the camp.

People may like to read this also
Kenneth Anderson Nature Society: Road Kills

http://kans.org.in/docs/roadkills_revised_col_logo.jpg

Best regards
Bala
balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2010, 06:34   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

If you had right precautions then fine. In fact I have heard many guys taking snaps with flashs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by balan View Post
Thanks for that detail. I got to know of Moyar through his books only!
Old 22nd September 2010, 11:18   #39
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,

I am touring Masinagudi with family this weekend (Friday - Monday). Base camp would be The Nest Inn, Masinagudi and planning for jeep safari in Bandipur and Elephant Safari in Mudumalai. And offcourse some walks and drives around Ooty road though Ooty is not planned since all of us visited many times.

I heard resort people organize jeep safaris in Masinagudi with help of tribals, any pointers?
jacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2010, 12:15   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Hi All,

I am touring Masinagudi with family this weekend (Friday - Monday). Base camp would be The Nest Inn, Masinagudi and planning for jeep safari in Bandipur and Elephant Safari in Mudumalai. And offcourse some walks and drives around Ooty road though Ooty is not planned since all of us visited many times.

I heard resort people organize jeep safaris in Masinagudi with help of tribals, any pointers?
The jeep safaris arranged by govt authorized resorts like jungle lodges (bandipur) take you into the forest. The bus safari from theppakadu also takes you into the forest. IIRC, these are the only official safaris that take you into the forest.

The jeep safaris arranged by the other resorts normally take you through the roads. May be someone who has done this can answer.
sbkumar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2010, 12:25   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
The jeep safaris arranged by the other resorts normally take you through the roads. May be someone who has done this can answer.
Road trips can be very well done with our car, why paying them 2000 bucks for a jeep trip?
Old 22nd September 2010, 12:40   #42
BHPian

Yes *most* resorts offer you "main road safari". Which we can do by our cars. On Karnataka side JLR, MC resorts, Cicada, Country club are allowed in the game roads. I wonder if TN side resorts are allowed to conduct safari in Bandipur forest. Maximum they take you to Anne Katte.

If this is of any interest, here is a route map of `jungle jeep safari' conducted by JLR inside Bandipur forest:
Old 22nd September 2010, 13:02   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Road trips can be very well done with our car, why paying them 2000 bucks for a jeep trip?
Yes 2000 seems expensive. I had done a couple of them for Rs.750/800.

There are some advantages though taking the jeep safari even on proper roads.

1. The jeep drivers have a n/w among themselves and if there is a sighting at a particular route they get that information.

2. Once in a while they take you Off road where they sense some presence which you can't do on your car.

3. They know the roads well, so driving in the late evening/night is not an issue and also probably more experienced in handling any special circumstances that might arise. You can never predict the mood swings of wild life!

4. For a novice like me, it was really difficult to spot the animals in the night and these guys are really good in that.

5. They don't take you on the main roads but also some other roads ( though they are not definitely deep into the forest).

Last edited by sbkumar : 22nd September 2010 at 13:04. Reason: Missed to add a point.
sbkumar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2010, 13:12   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

You could drive down yourself in lieu of a safari. The routes I have taken in the past are

Masinagudi - Thepakadu
Masinagudi tp Singara Road
Masinagudi to Moyar Valley Road
Masinagudi till the foothills of Nilgiris.
Masingaudi to Chemmanatham

Best times are morning and before dusk. Safari people would do the same routes and charge heavily for it. The advantage is that they are more skilled in spotting wildlife

Treks had stopped after an incident with a French tourist who got killed by an elephant. It is anyway illegal and can entail a heavy fine so I would recommend against trekking.

Deepak
deepak_misra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2010, 15:15   #45
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Came to know about the court verdict on Ayodhya plea which is scheduled on Friday. Any impact expected in Bangalore-Mysore-Bandipur-Mudumalai route? I am worried to postpone the trip since all in family are excited about the plan.