Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 25th August 2010, 11:46   #1
BHPian

Default Mumbai - Kerala...round trip?

Hey guys, am in the initial stages of planning a south India run from Mumbai..want to cover Kerala mainly.

My first thought is to have a break at Mysore and then carry on into kerala...possible to cover in a day?

I will keep posing my queries from time to time as i go ahead with the plan...thanks in advance for all the help.
nix1976in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2010, 12:18   #2
BHPian

You mean is it possible to cover Kerala in a day?

You can do Mumbai - Mysore in a day, as long as you start early, don't mind a night drive and stick to NH4. Mumbai - Bangalore can be done in about 16 - 18 hours (of course, depends on the car, the stops, the weather and traffic conditions). So, if you plan properly, exit Mumbai early (to avoid traffic) and reach Mysore before the convoy of trucks and buses start, you will be able to make it.

From Mysore to Kerala you have a couple of options, and thereafter return from Kerala to Mumbai can be done via Mangalore (NH17) or via Coimbatore (NH47) and Bangalore again.

Hope you have a great time
vrprabhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2010, 12:29   #3
Senior - BHPian

There are quite a few threads on Mumbai - Kerala / Kochi / Kanyakumari / Trivandrum etc. Please do a search, and form sum ideas. Guess it will be easier for us to help then.

You can start with one of the threads in "similar threads" section at bottom of this page.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2010, 12:31   #4
Senior - BHPian

2 days is possible, even if you are unable to make it to Mysore on Day 1, instead stopping over at, say, Chitradurga.
Depending on where you want to go to in Kerala, you can take the Coimbatore route or the Dindigul route.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2010, 12:44   #5
BHPian

Thanks guys.. the initial plan is to cover the places as listed below in same order...

Mysore - Coorg - Wayanad - Fort Kochi - Munnar - Kumarkom - Poovar (Kanyakumari) ---????

on the way back, I dont want to drive through NH17...any alternative through Salem back to Bangy so that I can take the NH 4 all the way back.

one thought was that coming back from Poovar, visit Hogennakkal (would it make sense in Oct or later?) and then drive to mumbai over 2 days.

Does this make sense?
Old 25th August 2010, 12:57   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hogenekal you can see on your way back from Poovar via Salem.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2010, 17:06   #7
BHPian

Hi Guys,
Can anyone suggest some good place to shack up on or near NH4 around Tumkur? Am planning to break my first day drive here and then continue upto Mysore the next morning.
Old 30th August 2010, 18:43   #8
Team-BHP Support

The below thread is all about by-passing Bangalore. May be of some use to you.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...bangalore.html (On Bypassing Bangalore)
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2010, 20:43   #9

Nix,

We are in the same boat..err car! . Please see my thread with expert advice from a lot of people...

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ce-needed.html (Mumbai to Kochi round trip : Advice needed)

I am planning to drive down on 1 Nov and reach EKM on 2nd. And yes, I will be taking the Mumbai - Blr - Salem - Cbtr route
Umesh D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2010, 12:00   #10
BHPian

My plan is to get to Mysore on Day 1 via Tumkur ( have done 1100kms to Jaisalmer in 16 hours so I am hoping to do the run to Mysore too), however if thats not possible am ok to break the 1st day at Tumkur. Any ideas on accomodation near Tumkur?
Old 6th September 2010, 13:29   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nix1976in View Post
My plan is to get to Mysore on Day 1 via Tumkur ( have done 1100kms to Jaisalmer in 16 hours so I am hoping to do the run to Mysore too), however if thats not possible am ok to break the 1st day at Tumkur. Any ideas on accomodation near Tumkur?
You will then need a good Bangalore By-pass.

I think there are two options:

- Tumkur-Kunigal-Hullyurdurga-Maddur
- Sira-Chellur-Kadaba-Belur Cross-Nagamangala-Pandavpura-Srirangapatna

Max distance gained ~70-80 Km + Bangalore traffic on NH4 till you hit nice road.

Not sure of road conditions though
Old 1st October 2010, 17:28   #12
BHPian

Hi all,
Could you pls help me out with accomodation ( contact details) in and around Hogenakkal. Have heard about Adhiyamaan Palace in Dharmapuri but the contact details on this forum are incorrect...is the TTDC Hotel Tamil Nadu in Hogenakkal good?

Regards,
Old 1st October 2010, 17:37   #13
Team-BHP Support

Do you plan to continue beyond Hogenakkal or return back? If return back, you can stay at Bangalore it self. It just 2-3 hours from Bangalore.

PS: Hope I am not stating the obvious.
Old 1st October 2010, 17:48   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Do you plan to continue beyond Hogenakkal or return back? If return back, you can stay at Bangalore it self. It just 2-3 hours from Bangalore.

PS: Hope I am not stating the obvious.

Ampere, am driving back towards Bangalore from Kovalam, so decided to break off at Hogenakkal for the night and then move to Bangalore the next day. Hence, am looking for a decent place to shack up in and around Hogenakkal..any contacts?
Old 1st October 2010, 23:08   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nix1976in View Post
Ampere, am driving back towards Bangalore from Kovalam, so decided to break off at Hogenakkal for the night and then move to Bangalore the next day. Hence, am looking for a decent place to shack up in and around Hogenakkal..any contacts?
I hope you intend to get on to NH7 from Kovalam in double-quick time to get to Hogenakkal. NH47 and NH17 in Kerala are a nightmare. I quite underestimated the time required to travel on these highways (NH47 and NH17) during my summer break this year. Having covered Bangalore - Kanyakumari (Hotel Sea view), a distance of 643 kms in 7 hrs 15 mins it came as a shock when it took me nearly 3 hrs to cover Kanyakumari- Kovalam (75 kms approx all on NH47)! To be frank, I was bored to death by the time I reached there!!

Keep off NH47 & NH17. The Kms on the map are quite deceptive and it may take you way more time than you bargained for on any roads other than the N-S corridor in this area. Bear in mind, traffic on these roads is very, very heavy and you find all sorts of vehicles. The experience is quite frustrating to say the least. I don't think these two highways by-pass any towns in the area.

Sorry, couldn't be of much help on the Hogenakkal query but all the best anyway.

Last edited by canonguy : 1st October 2010 at 23:09.
canonguy is offline   Reply With Quote