Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 28th August 2010, 10:56   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default To Madikeri - from Mangalore / Kannur or Kasargod?

Posting on behalf of a relative.

They need to be at Manjeshwar on 3rd evening 4th early morning.

And will proceed to Madikkeri.

Will return from Madikkeri on 6th late morning.

Will start / return from Trichur.

Will take train for first leg of the journey.

Hire a taxi for the second leg.

The above is fixed and inflexible.

Will stay at some resort at Madikkeri - I think they have not finalised this. Suggestions / contact info is welcome. They are looking for 2/3 star or better, accomodation, if this is a hotel.

The question is - should the first leg end at

(a) Kannur, (I guess the route is Iritty > Virajpet > Madikkeri)
(b) Kasargod (Which route?)
(c) Mangalore. (Which route?)

In other words, which is the best road in terms of road condition and distance to Madikkeri from the above places?

Thanks in advance.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2010, 12:11   #2
BHPian

BackSeatDriver,

I would suggest them to catch a train to Manjeswar (This is last stop inside Kerala before entering to KA. Not all trains has stop at this station). From Manjeswaram, you can reach Madikeri via Vittala - Puthur or Kasargod - Cherkala - Jalsoor - (Sulya) - Madikeri. If coming via Jalsoor, remember to take the right turn to up to reach Madikeri while you are close to Madikeri (1km before). There are few shortcuts to reach Vittala, the localites can advice better on this. I think within 3 hours you can reach Madikeri from Manjeswaram. Road might have developed patholes due to the recent rains.

More details on the road and direction can be found in -> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...-kasargod.html

From Madikeri to Trichur, you can take Virajpet - Perumbadi - Makkutta - Irritty - Mattanur - Koothupramaba - Thalassery - calicut route. This route is in good condition

Thanks
Rajesh
RajeshK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2010, 14:03   #3
Senior - BHPian

Sulya!!!

That was the name which was eluding me. Just overheard that route while travelling on train - somebody else was discussing the route.

Can you give approximate distances from Manjeshwaram to Madikkeri?

They will be in Manjeshwara on 4th morning, and will proceed to Madikkeri direct from Manjeshwara.

They will need to stay somewhere on night of 3/4 and find a boarding point for the train on return from Madikkeri.

I cannot think of a good place in Kasargod. More frankly I am not familiar with Kasargod. That is why considering Kannur. and Mangalore. One of the persons travelling is familiar with Mangalore, so having Mangalore as a base is not a problem.

Anything less than 2/3 star comfort is unacceptable to them. And one of the persons do not want to travel on trains during night. So, they will reach on 3rd evening. That is where Kannur comes into pic. (couple of good places just accross the road from the railway station). And that is why Payyannur is out - the town / good places are couple of KM from the railway station.

Only train which stops at Manjeshwara is the Malabar express; which cannot be used for reason stated above; so next nearest station is either Kasargod, or Mangalore.
Old 28th August 2010, 14:44   #4

Manjeshwar to Madikeri is approximately 125 kms. You will be able to cover it in 3 hours.

Manjeshwar - Kasaragod : 25 kms
Kasaragod - Sulya: 50 kms
Sulya - Madikeri: 50 kms

I have heard that JK Residency is fairly a good hotel in Kasaragod. It's on the NH 17, just before the New Bus Stand in Kasaragod. While heading from Manjeshwar to Madikeri, you will find it on your left hand side.

To contact them:

Phone: 0499 4220855
Fax: 0499-4220755
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2010, 14:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

Just for information, incase anyone using the route:?

Yesterday I drove from Payyannur to Kallar ( in between place from kanhangad to madikeri).
Some part of nileswaram, the roads are bad (still drivable).

Just after the railway crossing but before kanhangad the roads are in very bad conditions(mainly due to flyover works in on...).
After kanhangad NH the road turning right goes to Madikeri and the road is good
and can maintain 70/80kmph easily (low speed because of lot of curves and turnings).
Normally this destination takes around 60/70 minutes but yesterday it took me almost 2 hours to reach and more time, due to evening traffic, on return trip.
nairrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2010, 15:24   #6
Senior - BHPian

As nairrk said, you can also drive from Kanhangad to Madikeri via Panathur and Bhagamandala.

Road from Sulya to Madikeri is not in good condition.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2010, 20:55   #7
BHPian

HVK, From Manjeswaram to Madikeri via Panathur would be a longer route. If not via Jalsoor, best could be Perla - Vittala - Puthur - Madikeri. In this, you don't required to go to cross Kasaragod at all. There are many shortcuts to reach in this route from NH-17, and localites will be able to advice properly. (We can trust those local people, they used to be very honest)

BackSeatDriver,

Please keep in mind that Manjeswaram - Kasaragod will be almost 45minutes in bus or 20minutes drive in car. I am not aware of good hotels in Kasaragod, but there are good chances to have better one. Before Kasaragod the options are, Nalanda Resorts, nileswaram (Nalanda Resorts Kasargod Kerala,Kasargod hotels,kasargod resorts,Budget Hotels in Kasargod,Accommodation in Kasargod), or

Bekal International Hotel, Kanhangad.
KMC 2/696, Hosdurg, T B Road, Kanhangad
Phone:0467-2204271, 0467-2202017, 0467-2209763.
(Hotel Bekal International near Bekal Fort in Kasaragod,Hotels in Kasaragod,Kasaragod Hotels,Kasaragod Hotels Guide,Hotels of Kasaragod,Online Booking of Hotel in Kasaragod,Reservation of Hotels in Kasaragod,Hotels Kasaragod)

from Kanhangad, to Kasargod, take only Nh-17, the route via Bekal is not in good condition.

My number is sent to in PM, you can call in case of further information

Thanks
Rajesh
RajeshK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2010, 18:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

Update -

The trip turned out into a pilgrimage cum pleasure trip for them.

They went direct to Mangalore, and hired taxis for temple visits - Ananteshwar and Ullal on day 1, day 3 and 4 at Madikkery, Udupi, and Kollur on day 5. Various taxis, various dates.

For visiting Coorg, they took a volvo bus from M'lore. Apparently, they had not planned well enough, (and there was a bit of communication gap between me and the group also), and they had to leave quite a bit of Coorg out of their itenary.

Thanks to all who helped.
Old 25th October 2010, 23:09   #9
BHPian

Can anyone, who travelled in this road recently,Bangalore-Madikkeri-Kasargod trip soon.
Would like to know the madikeri-Kasargodu stretch updates.
mykal shoemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2010, 10:15   #10
BHPian

Yes even i am planning to take this route on friday. Need to know the best route from Kukke Subramanya/Sulya to Bekal.

I am looking at the shortest distance with good roads.

Please help...
gypsyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2010, 13:19   #11
Team-BHP Support

There was note that the Medikeri-Sulya-Puttur road is being closed for Nov 1.
Any updates?
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2010, 10:42   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyFreak View Post
Yes even i am planning to take this route on friday. Need to know the best route from Kukke Subramanya/Sulya to Bekal.

I am looking at the shortest distance with good roads.

Please help...
I'll wait for your real time updates.
I'm also planning a weekend madikeri (then to Kasargodu ,if roads are OK) trip.
mykal shoemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2010, 13:07   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykal shoemaker View Post

any updates about the road closure, please let us know
swifts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2010, 14:36   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykal shoemaker View Post
I went to Kasargod/Kumbla via Sulya 3 weeks ago and had posted an update
(http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2109210 (The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi)).

The route from Kukke is: Kukke-Jalsoor-Mullaria-Kasargod/Bekal
The route from Madikeri is: Madikeri-Sulya-Jalsoor-Mullaria-Kasargod/Bekal

I lost my way in Mullaria and struggled a bit (was headed to Ullal) and finally
reached Ullal via Badiyadka and Kumble (instead of Kasargod and Kumble). When I checked in Google Maps, after coming back, I could see 3 roads at Mullaria - the left one towards Kasargod/Cherkala, the right most one to Badiyadka and the center one to a point on some SH that is going from Badiyadka to Cherkala. I seem to have completely missed out the left and right ones and have gone straight. So, pl. slow down and take proper guidance from someone at Mullaria.

The road from Jalsoor is good and the secenary is awesome.

Prasad
prasad14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2010, 22:50   #15
BHPian

Quote:
I went on a two days 900 KM trip on friday. Started from Mysore at 5:45 am and reached Kukke Subramanya around 10 am. Route taken Mysore - Madikeri - Sampaje - Subramanya. The roads upto Madikeri are excellent. From Madikeri to Dakshina Kannada border (~25KM) is bad. As soon as you enter DK district road conditions improve. From here up to Kukke road is good.
After Kukke i changed my plans as wifey was sick of the ghats. So did not go to Bekal instead took NH 48 to Mangalore. The roads upto Gundya is good. From Gundya some 15 KMs is not that good but manageable. From there to Mangalore the roads are good.
The next day went to Bekal from Mangalore. The roads are the in their prime worst condition. Took almost 3 hrs for 65 KMs. Then went to back to Mangalore then udupi. From here did a overnight journey to Mysore via Dharmasthala - kottigehara - belur and hassan.
gypsyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote