Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2014, 08:57   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
joybhowmik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,313
Thanked: 1,905 Times
Default Re: Sarahan or Chitkul or Sangla

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Mid august should be just fine for chitkul. Go ahead.
Quite the contrary. In fact even as I write this, the stretch between Narkanda and Sangla is closed.
Road conditions are usually bad after Rampur even in the dry season.
In the wet, you are just asking for trouble.
Like I said - if in an emergency - and you have no option, then do so, else cease and desist.
joybhowmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2014, 10:48   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
wanderernomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 2,390
Thanked: 785 Times
Default Re: Sarahan or Chitkul or Sangla

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
Quite the contrary. In fact even as I write this, the stretch between Narkanda and Sangla is closed.
Road conditions are usually bad after Rampur even in the dry season.
In the wet, you are just asking for trouble.
Like I said - if in an emergency - and you have no option, then do so, else cease and desist.
Joy Bro no offense but he is talking about mid august. That is the time when rains are lean in those parts. So there would not be any issues like getting stuck for more than 2 hours at the most in the worst case scenario. Bad roads is a different issue all together. And when you say its blocked between Narkanda and Sangla you are covering an awful long stretch of road.
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2014, 12:52   #18
Senior - BHPian
 
joybhowmik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,313
Thanked: 1,905 Times
Default Re: Sarahan or Chitkul or Sangla

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Joy Bro no offense but he is talking about mid august. That is the time when rains are lean in those parts. So there would not be any issues like getting stuck for more than 2 hours at the most in the worst case scenario. Bad roads is a different issue all together.
No offense taken too wandernomad.

My view is the parts that are parched in August is essentially Lahaul-Spiti region which has desert like conditions - no monsoon clouds go there.
However , going from Narkanda towards Sangla (route 22) one drives first through Sutlej river valley, and then Baspa river valley. Both these stretches get monsoon rain (July-end August).

What's worse is that with the recent dam construction works going on along this stretch, in many places , the river has shifted course - and that coupled with softer rocks & deforestation means more than fair share of landslides - which are more frequent in monsoon season.

Quote:
And when you say its blocked between Narkanda and Sangla you are covering an awful long stretch of road.
Regarding the stretch on route 22 that is blocked currently- this is roughly 5 km from the confluence of Baspa and Sutlej on the Sutlej side (towards Jeori).
I don't know the specific reason - but it's possible the road has been washed out in the area.
joybhowmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2014, 17:30   #19
Senior - BHPian
 
wanderernomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 2,390
Thanked: 785 Times
Default Re: Sarahan or Chitkul or Sangla

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
No offense taken too wandernomad.

My view is the parts that are parched in August is essentially Lahaul-Spiti region which has desert like conditions - no monsoon clouds go there.
However , going from Narkanda towards Sangla (route 22) one drives first through Sutlej river valley, and then Baspa river valley. Both these stretches get monsoon rain (July-end August).

I don't know the specific reason - but it's possible the road has been washed out in the area.
Lahaul and Spiti remain dry throughout. Mid August will see rain occasionally but nothing torrential. 5 kms from the confluence will put the blockade around Tapri and Choling. Hmm. Road getting washed out is extreme as its the Dam zone but a mudslide may be the culprit. If its beyond Tapri towards Jeori than the wash out is a distinct possibility but am sure by the time he treads there, it would be back to normal painful traverse of what was once a very scenic stretch.
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2014, 17:41   #20
Senior - BHPian
 
joybhowmik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,313
Thanked: 1,905 Times
Default Re: Sarahan or Chitkul or Sangla

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Lahaul and Spiti remain dry throughout. Mid August will see rain occasionally but nothing torrential. 5 kms from the confluence will put the blockade around Tapri and Choling. Hmm. Road getting washed out is extreme as its the Dam zone but a mudslide may be the culprit. If its beyond Tapri towards Jeori than the wash out is a distinct possibility but am sure by the time he treads there, it would be back to normal painful traverse of what was once a very scenic stretch.
Bang on! It is between Tapri and Choling.
http://www.tribuneindia.com/2014/201...himachal.htm#3 retrieved on May 24.

It will likely take time to recover this stretch. Even google is recommending a longer route from Narkanda to Sangla

Unitil August - can't say. It's a 7 km stretch that's currently off the charts. It will take humongous efforts by BRO to bring it back in line with rest of route.
IMHO: would not recommend the fainthearted to cross this stretch until the all-clear is sounded on the news.
joybhowmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2014, 20:12   #21
Senior - BHPian
 
wanderernomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 2,390
Thanked: 785 Times
Default Re: Sarahan or Chitkul or Sangla

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
Bang on! It is between Tapri and Choling.
http://www.tribuneindia.com/2014/201...himachal.htm#3 retrieved on May 2.
IMHO: would not recommend the fainthearted to cross this stretch until the all-clear is sounded on the news.
Haha no no nothing scary on this stretch. At most it shall be full of slush in case of rain or full of dirt. The road doesn't go much above the river in these parts and its almost a flats traverse. Don't scare him.
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2014, 11:40   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
joybhowmik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,313
Thanked: 1,905 Times
Default Re: Sarahan or Chitkul or Sangla

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Haha no no nothing scary on this stretch. At most it shall be full of slush in case of rain or full of dirt. The road doesn't go much above the river in these parts and its almost a flats traverse. Don't scare him.
Here's two TBHPian's recent experience - I rest my case-about not attempting this in mid august (when rains are at their best). Rest is up to the intrepid traveler- I wish him luck and lots of it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
NH-22 near tapri has been cordoned off;due to stones falling continously.
And this has been going on since 2 months,making the mountains in the area unstable.The Detour is about 19kms and takes about an hour to cover.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nix1976in View Post
Second Akshay here...the bypass at Tapri rises upto Urni village and throws us out near the Chooling bridge via a steep, narrow unpaved track. Cops regulate one way traffic every 2 hours quite well and its easily doable in any car as i have mentioned above. Locals told us that the highway has been completed washed away and the river has taken over a 4km stretch hence its going to be quite a task to get the road back online.

One thing to note... I got chatting with a cop who was regulating traffic while coming back at the Chooling bridge and he told me that if the NH22 doesn't open up before the rains then it would pose a serious problem since the bypass road wouldn't hold up too leading to complete cutoff from the Tapri side. I don't know how far its true but just a heads up all the same.

Last edited by joybhowmik : 11th July 2014 at 11:46.
joybhowmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2014, 12:24   #23
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 399
Thanked: 386 Times
Default Re: Sarahan or Chitkul or Sangla

Just a couple of pics clicked by wifey when climbing up the Choling- Tapri bypass on the way back....a part of the road i.e. almost 30% is tarred but majority was in unpaved. It may be difficult to traverse when slushy and unstable but not impossible somewhat like a poor cousin of the dreaded Rohtang pass. I would still suggest to go for it...its an adventure after all!!

Start of the bypass
Sarahan or Chitkul or Sangla-dsc_3262.jpg

Note the roads below...
Sarahan or Chitkul or Sangla-dsc04652.jpg

Near the top of the climb...some tarred roads.
Sarahan or Chitkul or Sangla-dsc04654.jpg

Sarahan or Chitkul or Sangla-dsc04655.jpg

Last edited by nix1976in : 11th July 2014 at 12:33.
nix1976in is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2014, 12:50   #24
Senior - BHPian
 
joybhowmik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,313
Thanked: 1,905 Times
Default Re: Sarahan or Chitkul or Sangla

Quote:
Originally Posted by nix1976in View Post
I would still suggest to go for it...its an adventure after all!!
Um.... if it's adventure one seeks , then I have nothing to say to that.

But if it's more of a vacation, to go and relax, perhaps one can wait till after the monsoons are done.

And this is coming from someone who has had more than his fair share of driving on bad roads in atrocious conditions - with both a hatchback with absymally low GC, as well as an MUV with a lot better GC - over the last 10 years.

joybhowmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2014, 13:13   #25
Senior - BHPian
 
wanderernomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 2,390
Thanked: 785 Times
Default Re: Sarahan or Chitkul or Sangla

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruty View Post
Hi All,

Is Chitkul doable during Mid August, considering the monsoon season.
Now that we all have given you, your dose of confusion, decide and let us know. If peace and tranquility is what you are after, may I suggest an alternate destination to Rohru or Hathkoti. Almost the same as Chitkul, distance wise but along the Pabbar the views are pretty excellent.
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2014, 13:27   #26
BHPian
 
bruty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 232
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: Sarahan or Chitkul or Sangla

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Now that we all have given you, your dose of confusion, decide and let us know. If peace and tranquility is what you are after, may I suggest an alternate destination to Rohru or Hathkoti. Almost the same as Chitkul, distance wise but along the Pabbar the views are pretty excellent.
Thank you all for all your suggestion. This year since monsoon is delayed, so never know how will be the situation in Mid August. Anyway I have asked couple of local friends there to update me.
bruty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2014, 16:02   #27
Senior - BHPian
 
joybhowmik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,313
Thanked: 1,905 Times
Default Re: Sarahan or Chitkul or Sangla

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruty View Post
Thank you all for all your suggestion. This year since monsoon is delayed, so never know how will be the situation in Mid August. Anyway I have asked couple of local friends there to update me.
In case you do decide to go, advise you to take a car with higher GC. Also do update us with your own travelogue
joybhowmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2014, 14:18   #28
BHPian
 
bruty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 232
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: Sarahan or Chitkul or Sangla

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
In case you do decide to go, advise you to take a car with higher GC. Also do update us with your own travelogue
I drive Safari, so no issue of GC, my only concern is it is rainy season (peak) and the area is landslide pron, we may get stuck for 2-4 hrs. Keeping children busy during this time is a major worry.
bruty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2014, 15:20   #29
Senior - BHPian
 
joybhowmik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,313
Thanked: 1,905 Times
Default Re: Sarahan or Chitkul or Sangla

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruty View Post
I drive Safari, so no issue of GC, my only concern is it is rainy season (peak) and the area is landslide pron, we may get stuck for 2-4 hrs. Keeping children busy during this time is a major worry.
More than keeping children busy... one humble suggestion - ensure to carry enough warm clothers, food and water with you - in the rare case that the conditions stop your Safari....
best of luck!
joybhowmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2014, 15:35   #30
BHPian
 
bruty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 232
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: Sarahan or Chitkul or Sangla

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
More than keeping children busy... one humble suggestion - ensure to carry enough warm clothers, food and water with you - in the rare case that the conditions stop your Safari....
best of luck!
Thank you joybhowmik, for your suggestions.
bruty is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need Advice: 4 days, Sangla-Chitkul from Delhi amitw79 Route / Travel Queries 28 15th December 2016 02:20
Super Fast trip to Sangla and Chitkul rkbharat Travelogues 39 29th July 2014 16:04
Trip to Kalpa-Chitkul-Sarahan in June 2010: help with itinerary akp Route / Travel Queries 88 17th May 2011 18:02
Kalpa-Chitkul-Sarahan, June 2010 akp Travelogues 56 13th July 2010 20:20
Travelogue: Kalpa-Sangla-Sarahan-Rohtang lordofgondor Travelogues 30 28th November 2008 19:11


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:55.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks