Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 6th February 2012, 13:45   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Budget vacation - Goa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
  • I suggest you to stay beachside. What is the point of going to Goa and staying in hotel in the city!
  • Travelling between north and south is not a problem but its better that u stay for 2 days in south and 2 days in north. You will spend too much time doing up and down if centerally located (Panaji).
We have pre-booked a hotel near Candolim Beach (North Goa). Will be easier to visit the beaches in the north part. But I heard the beaches in the south are really quiet and less crowded. Any suggestions for "must visit" beaches in the south of Goa?
Quote:
  • General safety rules to be followed
  • Usually, there will be no papers. Just check for fuel, tank is always dry. You can buy fuel from the renter itself.
  • Not required
  • Always tank up at a fuel pump. You dont find many pumps and loose fuel is expensive based on the time of the day.
Have a good vacation
Thanks for these great tips! Is it worth visiting the Mapusa (flea) market? We'll be there in Goa on a Friday and The Wife will need some "shopping" time..

Plus, one of my colleagues had been to Goa recently during the long weekend (Jan 26th) and they were charged 700 per day for a bike... Were they cheated or do rates vary based on dates / seasons?
vsathyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2012, 14:28   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsathyap View Post
We have pre-booked a hotel near Candolim Beach (North Goa). Will be easier to visit the beaches in the north part. But I heard the beaches in the south are really quiet and less crowded. Any suggestions for "must visit" beaches in the south of Goa?
Your right, south Goa is to relax. North Goa is for partying. There is Palolem beach, which I really like. 'Silent Noise' party happens on the hill at the end of this beach.

Quote:
Thanks for these great tips! Is it worth visiting the Mapusa (flea) market? We'll be there in Goa on a Friday and The Wife will need some "shopping" time..
I have never been to Mapusa flea market but have visited Anjuna flea market. Its okay as a visit since one has to take wife to shop on a holiday! Bargain there, Anjuna prices were not that of a flea market and its open only at night.

Quote:
Plus, one of my colleagues had been to Goa recently during the long weekend (Jan 26th) and they were charged 700 per day for a bike... Were they cheated or do rates vary based on dates / seasons?
If he took an Activa for that price then he has definetly been taken for a ride. You get other bikes like FZ/ Avenger for 400 ~ 450 per day. As in all tourist place, they always try to make a quick buck during season/ long weekends. Since you are going at a relatively odd time, you should be ok. Talk nicely, they will reduce prices.
mac187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2012, 14:40   #33
Team-BHP Support

Some must beaches in

South Goa :-

1. Colva ( Busiest)

2. Palolem

3. Benaulim

North Goa :-

1. Calangute/Baga ( Busiest of all beaches)

2. Vagator

3. Dona Paula ( If you want lots of water sports)

4. Anjuna ( Rocky Beach)

Try going to these eateries/nightclubs

1. Infantaria for continental breakfast on Baga Road. Even though they are expensive

2. Martins Corner near Colva Church in South Goa

3. Brittos near Baga Beach for a good meal and great view of the beach. Expensive place

4. Chilly's at Fort Aguada for a nice evening meal

5. Cavala's on Baga Road

6. Tito's and Mambo's near Calangute/Baga beaches

7. Kentucky's right on Colva beach
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2012, 14:41   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is it worth visiting the Mapusa (flea) market? We'll be there in Goa on a Friday and The Wife will need some "shopping" time..
Quote:
I have never been to Mapusa flea market but have visited Anjuna flea market. Its okay as a visit since one has to take wife to shop on a holiday! Bargain there, Anjuna prices were not that of a flea market and its open only at night.

@vsathap,
as you are staying near condolim, the market @condolim-calangut-baga is good for shopping experience.
I heard a lot of about mapusa flea market but i think it is good for local and not for tourist.
Anjuna flea market is nice to try.

As mobike suggested, must visit Britto's at baga.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 6th February 2012 at 14:42.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2012, 14:49   #35
BANNED

Quote:
Things I must MANDATORILY check before I rent the Activa (papers, etc?)
Rent only the the bikes with Black plates / yellow numbers. These are official rental bikes. The papers should be in order. You don't need to carry them. If stopped by the cops (they only stop you if you're not wearing a helmet on highways) and the demand papers, ask the guy who rented the bike to you to go and show them at the Police station.

Quote:
Is there any option to get "insurance" for the Rental Period ?
The bikes will have valid insurance.
FRgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2012, 14:58   #36
BHPian

Quote:
If you want really quite beaches, visit Talpon and Galgibaga south of Palolem beach. You wont find more than 50 people on entire beach.
akshay380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2012, 21:36   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

South Goa beaches are beautiful and pristine. Specially those between Mabor (Where Leela beach Hotel is) and Karwar. Check out Cola, Agonda, Palolem, Rajbag and Honey moon beaches. Take a look at my latest post in my TL

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...nny-sands.html (Fauji's Drivologues - Christmas in Wintry Wilderness and New Year on Sunny sands!)
Fauji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2012, 08:03   #38
Senior - BHPian

Question Re: Budget vacation - Goa

Guys, Need help urgently.

I have a holiday voucher which I had got during the purchase of my laptop and had opted for Mount Abu in the third week of March but lately I came to know that the hotel acco given is not great (thru an acquaintance) so I opted now for Goa. The resort provided is Sea Horse Resort close of Baga beach The Sea Horse Resort. Any ideas of good is this resort? Also need some inputs of hotel called Graciano Cottages near to Colva beach Goa Hotel Graciano Cottages | Budget Hotels in Goa near Colva Beach, Online Hotel Booking in Goa. Planning to book this for an extended stay in Goa.
What are the taxi charges in Goa?
Planning to drive down to Goa.
ghodlur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2012, 14:20   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Guys, Need help urgently.

I have a holiday voucher which I had got during the purchase of my laptop and had opted for Mount Abu in the third week of March but lately I came to know that the hotel acco given is not great (thru an acquaintance) so I opted now for Goa. The resort provided is Sea Horse Resort close of Baga beach The Sea Horse Resort. Any ideas of good is this resort?.
I have only seen the pictures of Sea Horse and looks really nice. There is a deal for this hotel in dealsandyou.com for Rs.4999 for 3 Nights/4 Days

Planning a trip 3rd week of Feb and will stay here if the deal continues as my plan will get firmed up only on Feb 14th.

Firstly, there is not much taxi service and even if you find, it will be exorbitant. Either take a 2-wheeler ( Rs.250/Day) for rent or a small hatch like Zen/Wagon R for Rs.800-Rs.1000/day with petrol excluded.
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2012, 18:28   #40
BHPian

Thanks all for your feedback ... the help is highly appreciated. Just one more question though. Are there any places to "avoid" due to high crime rates / shady areas, etc. I am travelling with my wife so... I thought I'll check once. Is it advisable to drive from South Goa back to Candolim after sunset? (reason being .. I want to watch the sunset on one of the less crowded beaches in South Goa)

Thanks again!
vsathyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2012, 08:50   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks all for your feedback ... the help is highly appreciated. Just one more question though. Are there any places to "avoid" due to high crime rates / shady areas, etc. I am travelling with my wife so... I thought I'll check once. Is it advisable to drive from South Goa back to Candolim after sunset? (reason being .. I want to watch the sunset on one of the less crowded beaches in South Goa)
I have riden back on a bike many times between S.Goa to N.Goa in the night upto 1am but, the entire highway becomes quite lonely and is definetly a risk to travel alone on a bike with a female companion.

Would recommend to travel North to South or vice-versa latest by 9pm.

Overall, Goa is a pretty safe place as long as you stick to the main places and not venture to interior places
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2012, 09:12   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I have riden back on a bike many times between S.Goa to N.Goa in the night upto 1am but, the entire highway becomes quite lonely and is definetly a risk to travel alone on a bike with a female companion.

Would recommend to travel North to South or vice-versa latest by 9pm.

Overall, Goa is a pretty safe place as long as you stick to the main places and not venture to interior places
Agree with this. Would advise you to avoid some parts on NH17, Dharmapur for eg beyond 9/10pm. People do get mugged here sometimes.
akshay380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2012, 13:57   #43
BHPian

Quote:
  1. Usually, there will be no papers. Just check for fuel, tank is always dry. You can buy fuel from the renter itself.
Have a good vacation
Adding to what mac187 had quoted, do ask the bike rental guy to give u a helmet in case you are planning to go towards South Goa from Panaji/North Goa as helmet is a must in the city. In North Goa, it's not mandatory to wear a helmet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Try going to these eateries/nightclubs

4. Chilly's at Fort Aguada for a nice evening meal
@mobike008 - I guess this place is closed. The last time when i went to Goa, in August 2011, the entire place was torn down. IIRC, even the board was not there.

@vsathyap - Try visiting Tuscany Gardens on the way to Fort Aguada from Calangute just after the Kingfisher Villa. You get really yummy Pasta/Pizza there.
Do go there in the night, the ambience is very romantic!

Last edited by a*ed : 8th February 2012 at 14:12. Reason: Back to back posts. Please wait for 30 Mins before next post or use EDIT button to make changes to existing post.
a*ed is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2012, 14:45   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a*ed View Post
Adding to what mac187 had quoted, do ask the bike rental guy to give u a helmet in case you are planning to go towards South Goa from Panaji/North Goa as helmet is a must in the city. In North Goa, it's not mandatory to wear a helmet.
Please dont give out wrong info. Helmet is compulsory throughout Goa.
14,000 helmet cases booked against 2-wheeler riders by Mapusa police | iGoa.

PS: Mapusa comes in North Goa.
akshay380 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2012, 14:52   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Please don't give out wrong info. Helmet is compulsory throughout Goa.
14,000 helmet cases booked against 2-wheeler riders by Mapusa police | iGoa.

PS: Mapusa comes in North Goa.

@akshay380 - Thanks for the info.
The last time when i went to Goa, people in Calangute/Baga area were not following this rule. Don't know the situation now.

Anyways, shall keep this in mind when i am in Goa next time.
Cheers.
a*ed is online now   Reply With Quote