Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2011, 20:01   #16
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 180
Thanked: 23 Times
Default Re: Bangalore-Kollur-Sagar-Honavar-Murudeshwar-Bangalore

Returned from Murudeshwar - Gokarna - Jog Falls yesterday.

The water in Jog falls is down to a trickle. Out of the 4 falls, only one exists. the second one is just down to a trickle. The other two dont even exist now. I wont advice a trip to Jog now.

Road Condition:

- The 60 odd km stretch between Gokarna - Murudeshwar via Honnavar is in excellant condition.
- On the ghat section, the road is bad in patches.
- The road between Tumkur and Tiptur is not in a great shape.
- Beyond Tiptur, the whole stretch of road till Jog is getting a new layer of Tarmac. The whole road is in good shape.

There is some event going on in Murudeshwar due to which getting rooms in any decent hotels like RNS group, Naveen Beach Resort and Kamath is difficult. I could manage to get a room in "Murudeshwar Boarding and Lodging". The rooms there are not so great. I had to sleep in my Safari due to lack of space.

In Gokarna, dont ever plan to stay near the main temple. The hotels there are horrible. Namaste Hotel at Om Beach is a better option of the lot.
recker_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2011, 19:57   #17
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 12
Thanked: Once
Default Re: Bangalore-Kollur-Sagar-Honavar-Murudeshwar-Bangalore

JP Sir,
Pleasant surprise to see your post here.
Many thanks for this update. Infact, i was planning to take the family to that part of karnataka sometime this weekend or the next.
Will drop by to your place one these days..
Regards
Murali
realactivex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2011, 20:48   #18
Senior - BHPian
 
Fauji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,469
Thanked: 955 Times
Default Re: Bangalore-Kollur-Sagar-Honavar-Murudeshwar-Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by recker_us View Post
Returned from Murudeshwar - Gokarna - Jog Falls yesterday.

The water in Jog falls is down to a trickle. Out of the 4 falls, only one exists. the second one is just down to a trickle. The other two dont even exist now. I wont advice a trip to Jog now.

Road Condition:

- The 60 odd km stretch between Gokarna - Murudeshwar via Honnavar is in excellant condition.
- On the ghat section, the road is bad in patches.
- The road between Tumkur and Tiptur is not in a great shape.
- Beyond Tiptur, the whole stretch of road till Jog is getting a new layer of Tarmac. The whole road is in good shape.

There is some event going on in Murudeshwar due to which getting rooms in any decent hotels like RNS group, Naveen Beach Resort and Kamath is difficult. I could manage to get a room in "Murudeshwar Boarding and Lodging". The rooms there are not so great. I had to sleep in my Safari due to lack of space.

In Gokarna, dont ever plan to stay near the main temple. The hotels there are horrible. Namaste Hotel at Om Beach is a better option of the lot.
I just came back from Tirthahalli ten days back and again going this weekend. The road between Tumkur and Tiptur is quite good except for four KMs when you enter Tiptur and exit from it. This seems to be a perennial issue and seems to be "No mans land". Except for this the road is in good condition.Beyond Tiptur, the only bad strech (not bad road as such but narrow road) - 15 KMs -happens to be Arsikere - Banavara where road widening is hapoenning. But for this the road till Shimoga is in good shape.
Fauji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 13:03   #19
Senior - BHPian
 
Fauji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,469
Thanked: 955 Times
Default Re: Bangalore-Kollur-Sagar-Honavar-Murudeshwar-Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
I just came back from Tirthahalli ten days back and again going this weekend. The road between Tumkur and Tiptur is quite good except for four KMs when you enter Tiptur and exit from it. This seems to be a perennial issue and seems to be "No mans land". Except for this the road is in good condition.Beyond Tiptur, the only bad strech (not bad road as such but narrow road) - 15 KMs -happens to be Arsikere - Banavara where road widening is hapoenning. But for this the road till Shimoga is in good shape.
Went for a day trip yesterday to Tirthahalli in my Scorpio. Latest update on Bangalore - Shimoga - Tirthahalli road.

a) Was at Kanakapura road junction of NICE road at 6.05 AM. Reached Shivamoga at 10.05 AM. Reached Tirthahalli at 11 AM. Breakfast break of 20 mins at Birur at Vinayaka Cafe as Preethi canten was closed. Excellent Masale Dose.

b) The road condition through out is very good except for these small strecthes.

i) 500 metres after you complete Tumkur bye pass and join back NH
ii) One and half KMs in Tiptur town
iii) The stretch between Arsikere and Birur is narrow but the condition is OK.

c) Very scenic road compared to drab NH4 or NH 48. There was a porfusion of flowers on Gulmohar between Kadur and Birur and road was painted red!!! These pics were taken by my Blackberry.

Bangalore-Kollur-Sagar-Honavar-Murudeshwar-Bangalore-gul.jpg

Since there are many curves on the road it makes driving on the road thrilling too unlike straight roads.

I would rather recommend folks to take this road- atleast one way - if you are going to Chickmagalur as well. We were in Kadur within 2.30 Hrs. I understand the Kadur - CKM road is OK now.

It was a very pleasnt morning drive when the treffic was less and the canopy of trees made it a pleasnt drive.

Bangalore-Kollur-Sagar-Honavar-Murudeshwar-Bangalore-canopy.jpg

The trick again is to leave early as i took an hour extra when i was driving in the evening when traffic had picked up and high beams did not make the reverse trip a pleasure.
Fauji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 13:29   #20
Senior - BHPian
 
cool_dube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,183
Thanked: 368 Times
Default Re: Bangalore-Kollur-Sagar-Honavar-Murudeshwar-Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Very scenic road compared to drab NH4 or NH 48
I completely agree. However, when I drove to Bhadra WLS last weekend, I was surprised and saddened to see huge/old trees being chopped off at many places along the highway. Any insights into that?
cool_dube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 14:13   #21
Senior - BHPian
 
Fauji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,469
Thanked: 955 Times
Default Re: Bangalore-Kollur-Sagar-Honavar-Murudeshwar-Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
I completely agree. However, when I drove to Bhadra WLS last weekend, I was surprised and saddened to see huge/old trees being chopped off at many places along the highway. Any insights into that?
hi cool_dube,

You are right.

This is on the stretch between Arsikere and Banavara - 15 KMs - where the road is narrow and they are widening it. I only hope, they will cut the trees on one side only.

Did you notice these beautiful Gulmohurs? They looked lovely isn't it?
Fauji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2013, 11:07   #22
BHPian
 
kshivaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 94
Thanked: 31 Times
Default Re: Bangalore-Kollur-Sagar-Honavar-Murudeshwar-Bangalore

Friends,

Will it be a good time to visit Jog falls around Aug 15th? Is there water in the falls now ? (had an experience of visiting once in December, and there was no water)
Is a trip on the following itinerary possible to do ?

Day 1 : Chennai to Mangalore : 700 Kms, 11 hours.
Day 2 : Mangalore - Jog Falls - Murudeshwara - Gokarna : 383 Kms, 7 hours (+ 5 hours for sight seeing)
Day 3 : Gokarna - Bangalore - 487 Kms - 8 hours
Day 4 : Bangalore - Chennai

main things that I want to cover:
Jog falls, Murudeshwara, the drive in maravanthe (sea on one side and river on another), Gokarna.

any alternate route suggestions??

thanks
Siva
kshivaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2013, 16:52   #23
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,602
Thanked: 8,593 Times
Default Re: Bangalore-Kollur-Sagar-Honavar-Murudeshwar-Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshivaa View Post
Day 1 : Chennai to Mangalore : 700 Kms, 11 hours.
This is quite heavy on driving. 5-6 hours for Bangalore and another 6-8 more stressful hours for Mangalore.

Quote:
Day 2 : Mangalore - Jog Falls - Murudeshwara - Gokarna : 383 Kms, 7 hours (+ 5 hours for sight seeing)
Day 3 : Gokarna - Bangalore - 487 Kms - 8 hours
Day 4 : Bangalore - Chennai

Instead you may want to try/analyse :

D1 : Bangalore-Shimoga (halt) (600+km)
D2 : Drive to Jog see the falls and continue to Gokarna (stay)
D3 : Drive to Murdeshwar, see the temple drive back to Hassan
D4 : Drive back to Bangalore


Route Link
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2013, 11:54   #24
BHPian
 
kshivaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 94
Thanked: 31 Times
Default Re: Bangalore-Kollur-Sagar-Honavar-Murudeshwar-Bangalore

hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. Have changed plans accordingly and would drive to Jog falls on Day1. What is the best way to reach Jog falls from Bangalore in current road conditions? my plan is to travel this weekend.

1. Tumkur - Tiptur - Shimoga - Sagara
2. tumkur - Chitradurga - Davanagere - Sagara
3. tumkur - Chitradurga - ranebennur - Jog falls

In terms of road state and time, please let me know which of the above is the best route and how long would it take approximately?

thanks
Siva
kshivaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2013, 00:50   #25
BHPian
 
kshivaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 94
Thanked: 31 Times
Default Re: Bangalore-Kollur-Sagar-Honavar-Murudeshwar-Bangalore

Here is an update on the route conditions. We finally did the trip last weekend.

Day1 : Chennai - Bangalore - Chitradurga - Shimoga - Jog falls
> entire route in good condition. no road issues anywhere

Day 2: Jog falls - Murudeshwara - Udupi
> Road is more or less in good condition. Few patches of bad roads on NH 17 (NH 66) Overall was okay.

Day 3: udupi - Mangalore - Hassan (via shirdi ghat) - Bangalore - Chennai
> udupi to mangalore has lot of construction work, with diversions, 4-lane becoming 2-lane etc. Mangalore - Hassan (shirdi ghat) - road has lot of bad patches (was still manageable in an Innova). Rest of road was fine.

thanks to ampere for suggesting changes and asking to re-plan the route.

thanks
siva
kshivaa is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mumbai -> Hubli -> Jogfalls -> Murudeshwar -> Kollur -> Sringeri -> Udupi pravdr Route / Travel Queries 41 1st October 2015 06:55
Mumbai Hubli Jogfalls Murudeshwar Kollur Sringeri Udupi Kolhapur Mumbai pravdr Travelogues 91 15th April 2014 11:14
Tirthayathre: Kukke-Dharmasthala-Udipi-Murudeshwar-Kollur-Sringeri-Hornadu crazydrives Travelogues 20 12th September 2013 18:10
Bangalore,Subramanya,Dharmasthala,Horanadu,Sringer i,Kollur,Murudeshwar,Udipi,Mangalor daisyb Route / Travel Queries 34 22nd May 2011 15:44
latest road conditions honavar-shimoga-chikmagalur devoo Route / Travel Queries 2 21st December 2009 11:18


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:20.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks