Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 6th September 2010, 16:19   #1

Default Bangalore to Jog Falls - Route, experiences

Hello all,

I am starting this new thread as the existing ones are more than a year old. I am planning a trip from Bangalore to Jog falls this weekend and would appreciate your share of any recent experiences about the road conditions, route suggestions and one night accommodation nearby. Thanks and looking forward to suggestions. On my part, I will post a write up in the same thread about my experience.

Regards, Murali
sethu.murali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2010, 11:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

Murali,
Check the below thread for latest update
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...bangalore.html (Bangalore-Kollur-Sagar-Honavar-Murudeshwar-Bangalore)
sushrutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2016, 23:01   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Bangalore to Jog Falls - Route, experiences

Reviving an old thread to post this Jog falls update. Had been to Jog Falls over the independence day weekend. Route taken was the CR Patna-Shimoga-Sagar route. The stretch from Arsikere to Shimoga was pretty busy due to the weekend traffic (due to my late start) and also noticed few bad patches. In short, did not turn out to be the relaxed drive I expected it to be. Shimoga- Sagar was brilliant, scenic and traffic free.

Stayed at Tip Top Residency which is located on the right side just before you reach Sagar town. Good clean rooms, decent service and good rates ( Rs 1800 for an AC double room). Only weird thing was the restaurant. Only one person who takes the order, does most of the cooking and also serves. And it was a north indian style restaurant with both veg and non veg. In addition, the hotel does not serve breakfast. For breakfast and pure veg option, you need to go out to a small hotel next to this one. Quite a weird setting. The food itself was pretty good. There is also another new hotel Green Embassy in Sagar. Looked good from outside.

Visited Jog the same evening. As expected was very crowded and was raining heavily. Water flow was not as much as I expected (couple of pics below).

On the 2nd day went to the Kollur Mookambika temple. Returned to Bangalore on Day 3. Initially planned to take the same route. Google indicated this route back. (Link)

Bangalore to Jog Falls - Route, experiences-sagarroute.jpg

Could not find any reports on the stretch from Sagar to the point where it joins the Pune-Bangalore Highway. In any case, decided to go ahead. No harm trying a new route .

Overall was a good decision. The road conditions were very good (apart from one 5 km stretch which was good but narrow and some slightly patchy sections in the one of the small towns in the stretch. Took approximately the same time and as reported elsewhere had to negotiate a lot of truck traffic and general weekend traffic on the highway.

Bangalore to Jog Falls - Route, experiences-img_20160813_171535.jpg

Bangalore to Jog Falls - Route, experiences-img_20160813_171522.jpg

Bangalore to Jog Falls - Route, experiences-img_20160813_173457.jpg

Couple of pics from the stretch between Sagar and the NH. Most of the route was like this. Landscape started changing as we approached the NH, but roads were good all through and traffic was minimal.

Bangalore to Jog Falls - Route, experiences-img_20160815_104600.jpg

Bangalore to Jog Falls - Route, experiences-img_20160815_104545.jpg

Last edited by tsk1979 : 28th June 2017 at 14:15.
Rajeevraj is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2017, 13:44   #4
BHPian

Did anyone visit Jog Falls recently? Is it a good idea to visit Jog falls in the first week of July? Also, what will be the best route from Bangalore to Jog road condition wise.
ankan.m.blr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2017, 20:52   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Did anyone visit Jog Falls recently? Is it a good idea to visit Jog falls in the first week of July? Also, what will be the best route from Bangalore to Jog road condition wise.
I would suggest wait till 3rd week. Thats when we usually get hear about the conditions.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2017, 15:04   #6
BHPian

Visited Jog yday on the way to my native (Sirsi). Not much water at the moment, suggest you wait till July 2nd week for another update from my side. There have not been much rains up-ghat compared to the down-ghat region (coastal) this year hence the lack of water at Jog.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Team-BHP
drhoneycake is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2017, 23:15   #7
BHPian

Google actually shows a different route to Jog, is this worth it?

https://goo.gl/maps/wmvCSnijAex

I can see that this uses mostly the divided roads and hence the time could be shorter. But what about the rest of the route till Jog? Not sure about the route conditions. Can someone comment if they had been/known please?
luvurride is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2017, 10:58   #8
BHPian

Had been to Shimoga a fortnight ago. Took the Davanagere - Chitradurga - Holalkere road. Road condition is very good. Recommend this route to Shimoga. The only drawback of this route over the nelamangala - c r Patna - arsikere route is the lack of decent eateries along the road. Can easily cover the stretch in under 5hrs.
Haque is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2017, 13:09   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haque View Post
Had been to Shimoga a fortnight ago. Took the Davanagere - Chitradurga - Holalkere road. Road condition is very good. Recommend this route to Shimoga. The only drawback of this route over the nelamangala - c r Patna - arsikere route is the lack of decent eateries along the road. Can easily cover the stretch in under 5hrs.
Could you please provide the route link? From Channagiri, did you go through Bhadravati?
Old 28th June 2017, 14:16   #10
BHPian

Just came back the long weekend ride from Jog Falls. Went in the BLR-Kunigal-Yediyur-Turuvekere-Tiptur-Kadur-Arsikere-Bhadravati-Shivmogha-Sagar-Jog.

Roads were very good throughout. So you can take that road. But it is raining quite a bit from Shivmoga onwards.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 29th June 2017 at 07:57.
madhukar_n is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2017, 22:28   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
Could you please provide the route link? From Channagiri, did you go through Bhadravati?
Bhadravati doesnt fall in the route...
Route : Bangalore - Tumkur - Chitradurga - Holalkere - Channagiri - Shimoga

https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Ba...13.9299299!3e0
Haque is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2017, 00:20   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Bhadravati doesnt fall in the route...
Route : Bangalore - Tumkur - Chitradurga - Holalkere - Channagiri - Shimoga

https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Ba...13.9299299!3e0
Thanks. I need to drive ahead to Jog. Does this route make me pass through Shimoga town? How bad is the traffic? Hence was wondering if I should take Bhadravati.
Old 29th June 2017, 06:15   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
Thanks. I need to drive ahead to Jog. Does this route make me pass through Shimoga town? How bad is the traffic? Hence was wondering if I should take Bhadravati.
Yes you will have to pass through Shimoga. Traffic is sparse, if you start before 6am you can be in Shimoga by around 10:30am. FWIW - have taken this route around 12th June. And a cousin took this route ( upto shimoga ) over the past weekend and was pretty happy with it.
Haque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2017, 09:23   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Yes you will have to pass through Shimoga. Traffic is sparse, if you start before 6am you can be in Shimoga by around 10:30am. FWIW - have taken this route around 12th June. And a cousin took this route ( upto shimoga ) over the past weekend and was pretty happy with it.

Thanks. I'll leave Whitefield only by 3:30pm which would make me get there by 8:30. Nevertheless, I'll give it a try.
Old 30th June 2017, 16:35   #15
BHPian

A friend of mine usually takes this route to visit his home in Shimoga: Bangalore - Tumkur - Chitradurga - Holalkere - Channagiri - Shimoga

As per him this is the best and fastest route to reach shimoga as the roads a very good throughout

Quote:
Thanks. I'll leave Whitefield only by 3:30pm which would make me get there by 8:30. Nevertheless, I'll give it a try.
Hey luvurride do let us know is Jog these days. was planning to visit it with family next weekend.

Last edited by ant_vas : 30th June 2017 at 16:36. Reason: added a question
ant_vas is offline   Reply With Quote