Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 20th September 2010, 15:18   #1
BHPian

Default Hired transport - availability & permits in Sikkim.

Hello,

Am planning a 10 day trip to Sikkim in Nov and trying to negotiate rates for a package. We are two families ; 4 adults + 4 kids (9-13 yrs). So total 8 pax.

I understand only limited make / type vehicles (Sumo /Spacio / Mahindra Maxx) have permits for Driver + 8 pax.

Other vehicles such as Innova / Scorpio have permits only for Driver + 7 pax. Is this true? And do these kinds of vehicle ply that terrain in the first place?

What vehicle will be recommended for 'safe' travel withing Sikkim (inlcuding the remote north)?

Since we do not want to be taken for a 'ride' due to false claims and select a genuine travel agency, am seeking the support from the TBHP community.

Thank you in advance.

Cheers, Sam
lightinin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2010, 16:18   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

All of these vehicles ply the 'remote north'.

Almost all the agents there are genuine. No crap talk unlike the "bhaiya ho jayega" stuff that i've often seen in North India. That said, they don't come cheap. You can chat with Rikesh Pradhan: My random thoughts - Sikkim Gyan is his details. Nice guy.

He quoted 3.5k+driver costs originally per day for the scorpio on phone, but the 'package' came to 30k for sumo, 34k for scorpio over 8 days across all of Gangtok & Nathula, north Sikkim, Pelling.

90% of the vehicles in North Sikkim are the Maxx variety (shared vehicles) with some Scorpios or Innovas because the bulk of the junta take shared vehicles to North sikkim. The permit would be as per the rated seating capacity - little reason why Innovas should not get permits for 8 pax + driver. (unless u want captain seating).

PM me your email and I'll send you his quote - you can use it to surely bargain down a bit.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2010, 12:54   #3
Senior - BHPian

A very dangerous statement Hitanshu, very dangerous. Hope you have shifted from ze North to the ze West...

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
No crap talk unlike the "bhaiya ho jayega" stuff that i've often seen in North India.
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2010, 16:02   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
All of these vehicles ply the 'remote north'.

Almost all the agents there are genuine. No crap talk unlike the "bhaiya ho jayega" stuff that i've often seen in North India. That said, they don't come cheap. You can chat with Rikesh Pradhan: My random thoughts - Sikkim Gyan is his details. Nice guy.

He quoted 3.5k+driver costs originally per day for the scorpio on phone, but the 'package' came to 30k for sumo, 34k for scorpio over 8 days across all of Gangtok & Nathula, north Sikkim, Pelling.

90% of the vehicles in North Sikkim are the Maxx variety (shared vehicles) with some Scorpios or Innovas because the bulk of the junta take shared vehicles to North sikkim. The permit would be as per the rated seating capacity - little reason why Innovas should not get permits for 8 pax + driver. (unless u want captain seating).

PM me your email and I'll send you his quote - you can use it to surely bargain down a bit.
Dear Hitanshu,

Thank you for the feedback and your link. There still is some difference of opinion regarding Scorpio given a permit to ply for driver + 8 pax in Sikkim. It has permit for Driver + 7 pax.

Cheers, Sam
lightinin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2010, 18:05   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
A very dangerous statement Hitanshu, very dangerous. Hope you have shifted from ze North to the ze West...
sarkar,

had way too many experiences of being promised an Innova, getting a bolero, promised scorpio, getting tavera, getting wagonR instead of Indica (when we had luggage) etc etc - and I'm a delhiite. In contrast, Sikkim junta were forthright and did as they said in my limited dealings there.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote