Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 23rd September 2010, 17:54   #16
BHPian

Thank you for the information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandans2005 View Post
There are no tigers in Bhadra. Its just a belief it has , else who will use only to see the dam. Please go there mentally prepared for this, else you will be dissappointed.

I only relished the sunset during a boat ride in the dam. There is nothing much to do there.
This is really disappointing, as our primary objective of this trip was to spot wildlife.

May be we could combine few places nearby. We have been to Chikmagalur earlier. Any attractions near Shimoga (other than Jog falls) ? We have never been to that part of the country except Chikmagalur. We have two days which can be stretched by another day or two.

Last edited by sumannandy : 23rd September 2010 at 17:56.
sumannandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2010, 18:05   #17
Team-BHP Support

It makes a good weekend only and not for wild life to the core. You can go kayaking around the place.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2010, 19:39   #18
BHPian

Suman,

I wouldn't want you to travel 265kms to 300 kms to Bhadra to get disappointed. There is absolutely nothing here in my opinion.

Instead i would suggest you to travel about 235 kms to K.GUDI / B.R HIlls. Here again, the staying option is only JLR. You will also enjoy the travel, since its through well populated forest.

You will enjoy the nights here, since the LOG HUTS & Cottages are built in the heart of the forest. Even the SLEEP would be really nice with so much noise from the inside the jungle.

When i visited, we experienced a bear's walk down the slope near the lunch place, this place is called the GOL GHAR. They switch off the power at around 8pm. After this, its all the more interesting.

They organise nature walks in the night, though not for the faint hearted people.

Also there are safaris twice a day. Last but not the least, the FOOD is heavenly. You can add to to taste by carrying little liquid stuff (beer), since they dont serve.

But the catch is that you need to book well in advance. They have an office on MG ROAD. I would recommend 2 nights to have a ball.

The other option is KABINI. You have the options of staying in KINGSANTUARY. This place is little away from kabini. The other two options are Cicada resorts and Jungle resorts. I would suggest two nights at any of these places.

We had very good sightings in KGUDI and Kabini. i even got to capture a leopard in front of my car while i was on my way to the Kabini Jungle resorts. We got to see elephants & a well grown tiger in KGUDI.

Please plan & make a visit, i swear you will not regret it. i am sure you and your family will enjoy a lot.

Last edited by nandans2005 : 23rd September 2010 at 19:45.
nandans2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2010, 23:28   #19
BHPian

Bhadra is not really a place for "spotting". On the Muthodi side you can spot elephants more and on the Lakkavalli side less so I guess. The forests are dense, you'll usually have to satisfy yourself with Gaurs and/or deers and lots of village cattle grazing on the fringes.
airguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2010, 06:38   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
Bhadra is not really a place for "spotting". On the Muthodi side you can spot elephants more and on the Lakkavalli side less so I guess. The forests are dense, you'll usually have to satisfy yourself with Gaurs and/or deers and lots of village cattle grazing on the fringes.
+1 to that.
I am told its an amazing landscape and makes for good outing for weekend.
Old 24th September 2010, 11:40   #21
BHPian

Thanks for all the details. We scrapped the plan to go to Bhadra. We would go to B.R. Hills instead, later with prior booking.
sumannandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 01:00   #22
Senior - BHPian

We managed to corner a few accomodations at River Tern during Christmas. I did see the road directions. Torn between driving and taking a train to Birur from Bangalore (3hrs 15 mins by Jan Shatabdi) and then getting us picked up there. More relaxing that way and should be there in pretty quick time. Birur is I guess 50 kms from River Tern. Any idea folks?

In case I drive, what's the road status after all these rains? Anyone did this during the last couple of weeks?

thanks folks as always.
csentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 01:33   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
We managed to corner a few accomodations at River Tern during Christmas. I did see the road directions. Torn between driving and taking a train to Birur from Bangalore (3hrs 15 mins by Jan Shatabdi) and then getting us picked up there. More relaxing that way and should be there in pretty quick time. Birur is I guess 50 kms from River Tern. Any idea folks?

In case I drive, what's the road status after all these rains? Anyone did this during the last couple of weeks?

thanks folks as always.
Haven't taken the train, but the drive isn't too strenous either. Did Bhadra in Sep; but I take the NH206 frequently, last taken Nov 1. Usual craters at regular intervals over certain stretches and the frequently talked-about rly crossing stretch mess between Birur and Terikere, but driveable overall, doesn't leave a bad taste . No nice eating places on that stretch is my grouse ( I sometimes eat at a place called "Pooja" near Kadur, I guess there are 2 Pooja hotels :( there though ; any others on that stretch ?).

Good news is that a friend who stayed there a couple of weeks back spotted a Tiger during Safari ( apparently, after 5 months ). Bad news is that the sighting rate is low, but the stay should be enjoyable. That said, what more do you need than looking at the backwater from your balcony ? The motor boating to the tern island and the paddle boating ( paid ) are enjoyable.

When I went there in Sep ( I decidedly wanted to roam through all areas around Chikkamagalur before halting at River Tern ), I reached there at 8 PM ; heavy rains; at a point, about 0.5 kms from the lodge, you take right ( there is a very small board ), if you go straight ( when it's dark, it's hard to notice ), it's so easy to plummet into the canal

Last edited by airguitar : 19th November 2010 at 01:35.
airguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 02:37   #24
BHPian

Nandans2005 -- Firstly, "Bhadra doesnt have Tigers" is NOT a fact. According to last census, it has Tigers in 30s.

And wrt "Wildlife spotting" , its not really fair to speak of wildlife spotting, only wrt Tigers and leopards. Come on guys, A wildlife tour is 99% anticipation, the satisfaction what we obtain, by driving over some rough jungle routes with abundant greenery, the serenity of the place... and so on.. Again, this is a personal take i guess.
If u do spot a big cat, consider yourself extremely lucky.

Again, going to BR Hills doesnt gaurentee anything. A bison or 2, deers, Sambhars, Elephant. The same are available on the side of the National highway in Bandipur

Last edited by pramod : 19th November 2010 at 02:39.
pramod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 08:26   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Riju (Rjstyles)did this stretch last weekend, he tells me roads are pretty ok.
If you are taking a train, tarikere is the nearest railway station to go to River Tern, don't know if janashatabdi has a stop there though. Driving to Bhadra is the best bet according to me, it is a pretty decent road to drive on and I always halt at Preeti's Canteen at Birur for breakfast, not many options on tis stretch but for a Kamat at Arsikere.
Lukeskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 08:59   #26
Team-BHP Support

Jan Shatabdi is also fine. I have BLR-Birur on this train (for a different reason). You wont get a catered food but for those paper wrapper Idli/Dosas. But I would say drive to JLR.
Old 19th November 2010, 11:11   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil
I recently did my trip to Shimoga (Nov 11 th).
Please check my post here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2140636

As Hari(lukeskywalker) has mentioned, Preethi canteen is the best bet on this stretch. Ambience is nothing great, It's just a canteen. Good thing is that they take order from Cars. I like the Vada over here.

Last edited by sushrutha : 19th November 2010 at 11:13.
sushrutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 11:40   #28
Senior - BHPian

I agree that it is not worth only visiting Bhadra wild life sanctuary. As forests are thick spotting wild life will be difficult. But one can definitely enjoy the surroundings which is so beautiful. However, i would recommend Bhadra to be clubbed with visit to other places in Shimoga and Tirthahalli and can comfortably spend a week in this area.

Please check my post on Malnad - as the westernghats in Karnataka is called - here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-monsoons.html (Malnad In Monsoons)

Best regards,
Fauji
Fauji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 11:56   #29
Team-BHP Support

As you say the sight, the streams, the fog and the greenery makes for an amazing treat to the eyes. For that alone, one should visit Bhadra!
Old 21st November 2010, 00:50   #30
Senior - BHPian

Thanks everyone for all the info and suggestons. Looks like we will take our cars. Do we want to put a Civic and City through the grind or take a Verna and Wagon R is the only thing we have to figure out. Thanks a ton.
csentil is offline   Reply With Quote