Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2010, 20:27   #1
fk7
BHPian
 
fk7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Calicut/Dubai
Posts: 170
Thanked: 134 Times
Default New Delhi to Calicut, Kerala. Family Trip

Hi All,

I am planning to a trip from New Delhi to calicut, Kerala in January 2011. My wife will be accompanying me in this trip.

I would like to know the best possible and fastest route I can take. Can you also please advice me on any accommodations along the way?

This is first time I am doing such a long trip in India and any help from the forum members will be very much appreciated.

Firoz
fk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2010, 20:30   #2
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,602
Thanked: 8,593 Times
Default

On a broad summary:

Delhi-Rajasthan-Pune-Bangalore-Kerala.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2010, 21:02   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,614
Thanked: 1,719 Times
Default

Day 1:

Delhi-Gurgaon-Jaipur-Kishengarh-NH79(GQ)-Bhilwara-Chittor-Udaipur:Halt @ UDP.Approx 12hours drive.Excellent roads,4laning in progress between GGN & Jaipur so expect time loss there,otherwise excellent 4lane throughout.Please note that after the Jaipur-Kishengarh expressway take the NH79 turn off which is part of the GQ,do not take the NH8 which is 2laned and not in great shape.If you can stretch it,then ideally you can drive till Ahmedabad and stay the night at AMD,UDP-AMD roads are also 4 lane so excellent drive.Would take you an extra 4hours.If you leave Del around 3am,you should be in AMD by 6-7pm,with sufficient breaks for lunch.

Hotel Anjali is a reccomended place.If you dont make it to AMD,then you could stay at Hotel Landmark,Himmatnagar.There are also RTDC hotels at Rishabdeo,Ratanpur etc.They all come before Himmatnagar.

Day 2
UDP(nh8)-Himmatgarh-Ahmedabad-NE1(AMD-BDQ Expressway)-Baroda-Surat-Vapi-Mumbai-Pune.Approx 12-13 hours of drive time.4laned all the way,Vapi to Ghodbunder(outskirts of Mumbai is in bad condition,otherwise excellent conditions).Getting out of Mumbai onto Pune might take some time,there is an excellent file prepared by HVK on how to do it,just check on the threads and you will get it.

Ginger on the Mumbai-Pune bypass road is a good place to stay in Pune,Sadanand Regency is another good place to stay.

Day 3

Pune-NH4-Bangalore.Approx 10-12hours of drive time.Entire stretch is 4 laned.Excellent road.Plenty of places to stay in Bangalore depending on budget.Hotel Ocea on Brigade road is a good place to stay.Welcome to THE OCEA INTERNATIONAL HOTEL

Day 4

Bangalore-Mysore(4laned state highway,)-Gundulpet-Bandipur-Thamarasserry-Kozhikode.Roads are in pretty decent shape.Plent of places to eat,a couple of ccd outlets as well.
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2010, 21:22   #4
BHPian
 
rideon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: DXB/DEL/MEL
Posts: 122
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Day 1:

Delhi-Gurgaon-Jaipur-Kishengarh-NH79(GQ)-Bhilwara-Chittor-Udaipur:Halt @ UDP.Approx 12hours drive.Excellent roads,4laning in progress between GGN & Jaipur so expect time loss there,otherwise excellent 4lane throughout.Please note that after the Jaipur-Kishengarh expressway take the NH79 turn off which is part of the GQ,do not take the NH8 which is 2laned and not in great shape.If you can stretch it,then ideally you can drive till Ahmedabad and stay the night at AMD,UDP-AMD roads are also 4 lane so excellent drive.Would take you an extra 4hours.If you leave Del around 3am,you should be in AMD by 6-7pm,with sufficient breaks for lunch.

Hotel Anjali is a reccomended place.If you dont make it to AMD,then you could stay at Hotel Landmark,Himmatnagar.There are also RTDC hotels at Rishabdeo,Ratanpur etc.They all come before Himmatnagar.

Day 2
UDP(nh8)-Himmatgarh-Ahmedabad-NE1(AMD-BDQ Expressway)-Baroda-Surat-Vapi-Mumbai-Pune.Approx 12-13 hours of drive time.4laned all the way,Vapi to Ghodbunder(outskirts of Mumbai is in bad condition,otherwise excellent conditions).Getting out of Mumbai onto Pune might take some time,there is an excellent file prepared by HVK on how to do it,just check on the threads and you will get it.

Ginger on the Mumbai-Pune bypass road is a good place to stay in Pune,Sadanand Regency is another good place to stay.

Day 3

Pune-NH4-Bangalore.Approx 10-12hours of drive time.Entire stretch is 4 laned.Excellent road.Plenty of places to stay in Bangalore depending on budget.Hotel Ocea on Brigade road is a good place to stay.Welcome to THE OCEA INTERNATIONAL HOTEL

Day 4

Bangalore-Mysore(4laned state highway,)-Gundulpet-Bandipur-Thamarasserry-Kozhikode.Roads are in pretty decent shape.Plent of places to eat,a couple of ccd outlets as well.
A bit of an iteration based on what I did a month ago
Day 1: If you start from Delhi by 4:30 you can touch Baroda by 19:30. I did that with a decent 110-120 kmph on the speedometer.
Day 2 will see you touch Kolhapur by the evening.

The route further is unknown to me, hence would not comment on it.

Last edited by rideon : 2nd October 2010 at 21:24. Reason: Statistical edit.
rideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2010, 21:47   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kochi
Posts: 2,147
Thanked: 143 Times
Default

Do NOT even think of NH 17 in KA. Stick to GQ as far as possible.

That is update on the route from KA.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2010, 22:38   #6
BHPian
 
Abes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Salalah
Posts: 201
Thanked: 57 Times
Default

Vow, pretty long drive! best of luck!!
Do u have a GPS/Navigator? If not, this is a good time to invest in one.
There is this thread on SatNav Vs Mapmyindia

Thats one detailed plan given by ranjitp1.
Abes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2010, 22:46   #7
fk7
BHPian
 
fk7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Calicut/Dubai
Posts: 170
Thanked: 134 Times
Default

Thanks for all your replies. I do have a Garmin GPS system. I am not familiar with the routes specified by the other members. But generally, I do have a query. Why not go through NH 17 and through Goa?

Firoz
fk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2010, 22:57   #8
BHPian
 
rideon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: DXB/DEL/MEL
Posts: 122
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fk7 View Post
Thanks for all your replies. I do have a Garmin GPS system. I am not familiar with the routes specified by the other members. But generally, I do have a query. Why not go through NH 17 and through Goa?

Firoz
That is because the road is all cratered till almost Banda (Goa-Mah border). If you stick to NH4, you'll have a smooth drive.
Stick to the route mentioned by ranjitp1 and there would be minimal hassles .
rideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2010, 00:47   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,354 Times
Default

I would suggest you shut off your Navigators and simply follow the route suggestions given by our friends here.

Why not NH17? Currently, it is in bad shape all the way from MH to KL. Hopefully, it will be repaired in the next 30 days.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2010, 05:14   #10
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: thiruvananthapuram
Posts: 774
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I would suggest you shut off your Navigators and simply follow the route suggestions given by our friends here.

Why not NH17? Currently, it is in bad shape all the way from MH to KL. Hopefully, it will be repaired in the next 30 days.
Had to abort a kollur trip recently after seeing horrible roads of kannur and kasargode(nh17) . I don 't think it will be repaired in the next decade or so .
swathyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2010, 17:00   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
harjeev's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,896
Thanked: 256 Times
Default

Hey Firoz,
Long time man. My advise too would be the same as HVK sir and others. I did the BLR-DEL stretch recently and was mostly on NH4 and then NH8 occasionally leaving it for like NE1 for Vadodra-Ahmedabad and then from Udaipur I left NH-8 went onto NH-76 crossing Chittargarh, Bhilwara, Nasirabad and tthen again joining NH8 at Kishangarh.

Credit for the above advise goes to all the members who have been regularly been updating the various threads, especially HVK sir.
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2010, 17:08   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kochi
Posts: 2,147
Thanked: 143 Times
Default

There are two Delhi > Kerala queries in the "related threads" section below.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...last-week.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...a-3060kms.html (Longest road trip of my life for present/past/future- Delhi - Kerala - 3060kms)
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2010, 17:17   #13
Distinguished - BHPian
 
SS-Traveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 6,618
Thanked: 10,779 Times
Default

Here's one Delhi-Kerala drive happening right now. You can follow it to get a lot of current information.

Edit: Oops, BSD, found you've already posted the link while I was too!

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 3rd October 2010 at 17:19.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2010, 17:23   #14
v&v
Senior - BHPian
 
v&v's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,538
Thanked: 1,068 Times
Default

fk7,
I am currently doing delhi kerala trip. The above first link is my queries and planning. I will be updating the current road condition too.

How ever Jan means Fog will be a major issue you will face. Do consider this while planning.

As said above the best route is - Delhi - Jaipur - Udaipur - Ahmd - Baroda - Surat - Mumbai (Bypass) - Pune - Satara - Kohlapur - Hubli - Banglore - Mysore - Calicut.
v&v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2010, 18:48   #15
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,354 Times
Default

As v&v says, fog will be an issue between Delhi and Behror but after that, for mots part, you will face no problem with fog in Jan.

Make sure you cross the forest belt (Gundulpet-Sultan's Battery, on Mysore-Calicut route) before it is dark.

All major cities are bypassed - Jaipur, Udaipur, Ahmedabad, Baroda, Surat, Bombay, Pune, Kolhapur, Belgaum and Hubli. You can comfortably avoid congestion in Bangalore city by taking the NICE Road to bypass the city.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Calicut - Trivandrum - Calicut Route Updates nairrk Route / Travel Queries 99 19th October 2017 15:13
1st ever Mini meet in Calicut. Post here for all future Calicut mini meets.. MaserQ The Team-BHP Meet Section 17 8th August 2017 04:32
3 bhpians coming to calicut, calicut bhpians want a meet? pramodkumar The Team-BHP Meet Section 9 26th September 2011 21:51
Need some pointers! Calicut - Aluva - Rameshwaram - Madurai - Ramakkalmedu - Calicut Klub Class Route / Travel Queries 8 18th March 2011 12:45
Delhi - Kerala - Family road trip in Baleno - Completed Oct - 1-5th - 46 hrs/3300 k v&v Route / Travel Queries 68 28th December 2010 09:37


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:47.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks