Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2014, 16:30   #256
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 3
Thanked: 0 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries

After Vijayawada, Google Map shows the shortest route towards Rajahmundry, deviating from NH-5 at Tadepalligudem proceeding towards Nidadavolu & then on to Rajahmundry where it joins NH-5 again. How good is this diversion & how much time/km does it save? Is it worth taking this diversion?
piksumani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2014, 17:13   #257
BHPian
 
rnidumolu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 219
Thanked: 80 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by piksumani View Post
After Vijayawada, Google Map shows the shortest route towards Rajahmundry, deviating from NH-5 at Tadepalligudem proceeding towards Nidadavolu & then on to Rajahmundry where it joins NH-5 again. How good is this diversion & how much time/km does it save? Is it worth taking this diversion?
Very long back I have done this road. IIRC, this is not part of GQ and hence not a 4 lane road. When I travelled (back in 2010) the road near Kovvur was in a pathetic state. One good thing about this road is it is shorter and you will go on the rail-road bridge on river Godavari. Not suggestible on day time as you will hit the city traffic at Rajahmundry.
rnidumolu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2014, 17:56   #258
Senior - BHPian
 
vnabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC -> DC
Posts: 5,255
Thanked: 1,227 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by piksumani View Post
After Vijayawada, Google Map shows the shortest route towards Rajahmundry, deviating from NH-5 at Tadepalligudem proceeding towards Nidadavolu & then on to Rajahmundry where it joins NH-5 again. How good is this diversion & how much time/km does it save? Is it worth taking this diversion?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnidumolu View Post
Very long back I have done this road. IIRC, this is not part of GQ and hence not a 4 lane road. When I travelled (back in 2010) the road near Kovvur was in a pathetic state. One good thing about this road is it is shorter and you will go on the rail-road bridge on river Godavari. Not suggestible on day time as you will hit the city traffic at Rajahmundry.
+1 . The route is the original NH5 that existed before the GQ was built around a decade ago. It may be around 50 kms shorter, but in bad shape. It also passes through several villages and towns, making progress painfully slow.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2014, 17:20   #259
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 3
Thanked: 0 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries

Thanks a lot, for the prompt clarification. As stated, shorter routes, at times, could be misleading.
piksumani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2014, 08:56   #260
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 8
Thanked: 2 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries

Hi All,

Am planning to do a solo drive from Bangalore to Bhubaneswar in my 2007 Ford Fiesta Petrol and return back with wife and 19 month old kid. I have been thinking of doing this since long.

Any update on route info, staying options, kid friendly advice, and general tips would be really helpful in planning this trip.

Thanks

Subhs
subhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2014, 10:17   #261
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,570
Thanked: 1,687 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by subhs View Post
Hi All,

Am planning to do a solo drive from Bangalore to Bhubaneswar in my 2007 Ford Fiesta Petrol and return back with wife and 19 month old kid. I have been thinking of doing this since long.

Any update on route info, staying options, kid friendly advice, and general tips would be really helpful in planning this trip.

Thanks

Subhs
Day 1:Bangalore-Vijayawada
Day 2:Vijayawada-Bhubaneswar

If you want to do it in a leisurely way then i suggest:

D1:Blr-Hyd
D2;Hyd-Vizag
D3:Vizag-Bhubaneswar

Plenty of hotels in Hyd and Vijayawada and Vizag.Facilities on the highway are nil on both the routes.
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2014, 11:32   #262
rkg
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,041
Thanked: 543 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Day 1:Bangalore-Vijayawada
Day 2:Vijayawada-Bhubaneswar

If you want to do it in a leisurely way then i suggest:

D1:Blr-Hyd
D2;Hyd-Vizag
D3:Vizag-Bhubaneswar

Plenty of hotels in Hyd and Vijayawada and Vizag.Facilities on the highway are nil on both the routes.
It better to stick to Kolar-tirupati-naidupet-guntur-viziawada. road condition is good. 6 lane work between BZA-guntur completed. only a small stretch between mulbagal-andhra border is being 4 laned. Food joins are available now. i had traveled on this route on April 12-14, 2014. toll rates increased drastically.
rkg is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2014, 21:30   #263
BHPian
 
sandeepc83's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Goa
Posts: 35
Thanked: 16 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries

I am driving down from Bhubaneswar to Bangalore on 15 Jun 14.Planning to start off by 9am and find a stopover on the way for the night. I hope to reach bangalore latest by lunch time on 16 Jun.I will be taking the Vizag-Vijayawada-Nellore-Chittor-Bangalore route.
sandeepc83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2014, 10:30   #264
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,570
Thanked: 1,687 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepc83 View Post
I am driving down from Bhubaneswar to Bangalore on 15 Jun 14.Planning to start off by 9am and find a stopover on the way for the night. I hope to reach bangalore latest by lunch time on 16 Jun.I will be taking the Vizag-Vijayawada-Nellore-Chittor-Bangalore route.
Vijayawada is the ideal stopover point as it is midway between Bhubaneswar and Bangalore.Plenty of hotels as per your budget.
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2014, 20:47   #265
SBR
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 224
Thanked: 55 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries

Bhpians,

I am planning a trip to Nellore sometime in August.

Details:

My Drive - Rtiz VDI
Occupants - Me & the 3 ladies of my family (wifey, Elder one - 5 years, Younger one - 6 Months)
Who will be driving - Only me

I am familiar with the route till Chittoor via Kolar & Palamaner. Need help Chittoor onwards.

Near Chittoor, is there a bypass to Tirupati without entering the town?
From Tirupati, is it easy to locate the route to Nellore. Bypass or thru the town again.

Need help on Good Hotels in Chittoor & Nellore for the Andhra & Coastal Cuisines.

Budget accommodation In Nellore.

If I start from Bangalore by 4:00 AM, by what time can I expect to reach Nellore considering that it will be sedate driving with kids & lots of pit stops.

Need advise.

Last edited by SBR : 22nd June 2014 at 20:49. Reason: Missed one point
SBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2014, 12:10   #266
BHPian
 
rnidumolu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 219
Thanked: 80 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBR View Post
Bhpians,

I am planning a trip to Nellore sometime in August.

Details:

My Drive - Rtiz VDI
Occupants - Me & the 3 ladies of my family (wifey, Elder one - 5 years, Younger one - 6 Months)
Who will be driving - Only me

I am familiar with the route till Chittoor via Kolar & Palamaner. Need help Chittoor onwards.

Near Chittoor, is there a bypass to Tirupati without entering the town?
From Tirupati, is it easy to locate the route to Nellore. Bypass or thru the town again.

Need help on Good Hotels in Chittoor & Nellore for the Andhra & Coastal Cuisines.

Budget accommodation In Nellore.

If I start from Bangalore by 4:00 AM, by what time can I expect to reach Nellore considering that it will be sedate driving with kids & lots of pit stops.

Need advise.
There is a bypass to Chittoor. While coming from Tirupathi in last December I have taken this route. Regarding the eateries enroute, there is one Nandini Pure Veg restaurant near Palamaneru. KSRTC volvos also stop here.

From Tirupthi, stick onto the bypass (IIRC, this is four lane) and this will take you to the junction (near Renigunta I guess) where in you need to take turn towards Srikalahasti road. This is not four lane and till you cross Naidupet road condition is average. Once you hit Naidupet take left turn on GQ to go to Nellore.

On a regular day, with sedate driving it will take 8 hours to reach Nellore.

At Nellore, Muralikrishna is famous for meals. This would come near the market.

Thanks,
rnidumolu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2014, 12:51   #267
Senior - BHPian
 
anujmishra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,270
Thanked: 333 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries

Last month I came back from my mega drive from this road

Onward Journey: Bangalore - Tirupati - Naidupet - Rajamundry - Vizag byepass - Bhubneshwar - Kharagpur - Kolkata - Gobindpur - Giridih

Return Journey: Giridih - Gobindpur - Raniganj - Bankura - Kharagpur - Cuttack - Vizag - Vijaywada - Tirupati - Bangalore

While return journey there was no Kolkata as I took direct route from Raniganj to Kharagpur due to day time journey.

First day I reached from Bangalore - Rajamundhry (15 hours ) and halted in a hotel. Next day drive was of 26 hours from Rajamundry to Giridih. Onward journey was solo drive. Total of 2350 Kms.

While returning it was more relaxed driving as family was traveling along with me.

First day Giridih - Cuttack.
Second day Cuttack - Vizag
Third day Vizag - Bangalore

On first day battery of my Tata Safari gone completely dead on move at Chandikhol in Odisha. It added too much delay and next day only I started around 12:30 PM from Cuttack. From there we stopped in Vizag as I knew next day drive would be very long from Vizag to Bangalore.

Some highlights of this journey:

1. Bangalore - Vijaywada definitely slower drive due to numerous overbridge construction enroute and diversions due to this.
2. In all diversions there were bone jarring speed breakers and it is single lane.
3. Visakakhapatnam byepass (Ankapally road) is in very good condition and in 30 - 35 minutes you will be other side of Vizag. But don't know whether this road is safe during night. I took this road in broad daylight. All trucks use this road to byepass Vizag.
4. Guntur - Vijaywada is expressway with 6 lane highway.
5. There is no road between Balasore till Kharagpur. Only one lane is working and work is going on. Due to this there are numerous diversions. It kills lots of time.
6. Ironically they continue charging toll in this road. I paid Rs. 60, 50, 50 for no road condition.
7. Kharagpur - Kolkata be ready to face atleast 4 headlights of trucks and 8 headlights of buses. Same story post Kolkata on GT road. Drive carefully in night.
8. Raniganj - Bankura - Kharagpur is freshly built and will save your 170Kms drive, if you are coming from GT road to NH 5. No need to go to Kolkata provided that you travel during daytime.
9. Simply avoid driving in Night from Naidupet to Bangalore. All buses drive like maniacs in this road and always drive in upper. They always perform split second overtake and it is very dangerous for everyone. During my return journey I reached Naidupet around 7:30 PM and reached Bangalore around 3 AM.
10. There are minimal food joints available on this road post Tirupati. So, plan and stock well, if you want to hit this road. If you start around 5 AM from Bangalore in morning then BP Ghar Dhaba in Ongole is good option for Lunch.
anujmishra is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2014, 13:22   #268
Senior - BHPian
 
sdp1975's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,590
Thanked: 901 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
3. Visakakhapatnam byepass (Ankapally road) is in very good condition and in 30 - 35 minutes you will be other side of Vizag. But don't know whether this road is safe during night. I took this road in broad daylight. All trucks use this road to byepass Vizag.
4. Guntur - Vijaywada is expressway with 6 lane highway.
5. There is no road between Balasore till Kharagpur. Only one lane is working and work is going on. Due to this there are numerous diversions. It kills lots of time.
6. Ironically they continue charging toll in this road. I paid Rs. 60, 50, 50 for no road condition.
7. Kharagpur - Kolkata be ready to face atleast 4 headlights of trucks and 8 headlights of buses. Same story post Kolkata on GT road. Drive carefully in night.
8. Raniganj - Bankura - Kharagpur is freshly built and will save your 170Kms drive, if you are coming from GT road to NH 5. No need to go to Kolkata provided that you travel during daytime.
What is this "Ankapally bypass" ? Is this SH 38 I see on google maps ?The regular AH45 cuts across Vizag city and takes 1+ hr during peak hours to cross Vizag.

Are you referring to Raniganj-Bankura-Bisnupur-Salboni-Kharagpur freshly built ? That road was horrible about a year ago , is it 2 laned now ?

It looks like there hasn't been much progress since October last year when I travelled on the Kharagpur-Balasore and Vijayawada-Nellore stretches.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 23rd June 2014 at 13:26.
sdp1975 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2014, 13:28   #269
Senior - BHPian
 
anujmishra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,270
Thanked: 333 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
What is this "Ankapally bypass" ? Is this SH 38 I see on google maps ?The regular AH45 cuts across Vizag town and takes 1+ hr during peak hours to cross Vizag.

Are you referring to Raniganj-Bankura-Bisnupur-Salboni-Kharagpur freshly built ? That road was horrible about a year ago , is it 2 laned now ?

It looks like there hasn't been much progress since October last year when I travelled on the Kharagpur-Balasore and Vijayawada-Nellore stretches.
Yes, same byepass which shows in Google Maps. I took this road while onward journey. I asked the condition of road from some truck drivers. It is 2 laned typical state highway road. But mostly smooth and without pothole.

Yes, Raniganj - Bankura - Kharagpur is freshly built and smooth two laned highway. Not much traffic on this road. Once can easily maintain 60 - 80 on this road. No bad patches anywhere except in Raniganj town itself.

Yes, you are right both sections are bad in this stretch.
anujmishra is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2014, 18:23   #270
SBR
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 224
Thanked: 55 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBR View Post
Budget accommodation In Nellore.
Anyone suggestions
SBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ranchi to Bhubaneswar : Route Queries //M Route / Travel Queries 21 7th June 2016 13:10
2000+ KM Drive: Hyderabad - Vizag - Araku - Vizag - Hyderabad NikhilReddy Travelogues 18 5th October 2011 16:15
First Long Trip - Bangalore to Vijayawada - Route Query and other related queries Newpunter Route / Travel Queries 6 13th December 2010 15:09
Info needed about NH5 (Chennai - Vizag, Vizag - Puri) GQ akroy Route / Travel Queries 2 31st July 2006 12:27


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:45.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks