Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2016, 11:52   #421
BHPian
 
sawan_dubey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 32
Thanked: 20 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries

Hi everyone,

We (my wife and I) are taking a roadtrip from Bangalore to Bhutan on our motorcycle (RE Classic 500) this March and the route we have planned is BNG > VIZAG > BHUBANESWAR > KHARAGPUR > SILIGURI > sikkim 7 Bhutan. We are looking for some of your valuable advice about our very first day of the ride.

Plan for Day 1 - start by 04:30 hrs (BNG > Vijayawada / Eluru / Vishakapatnam - whichever we can achieve)

We're fairly experienced travelers on the road and can do 800 KM/day on 4 lanes without any issues. Is the above plan feasible?

Also, how about the BNG > KURNOOL > ATMAKUR > DORNALA > GUNTUR > VIJAYAWADA road conditions?
sawan_dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2016, 13:01   #422
BHPian
 
Unavowed_X9's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Indeterminate
Posts: 174
Thanked: 202 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawan_dubey View Post
Hi everyone,
..
Plan for Day 1 - start by 04:30 hrs (BNG > Vijayawada / Eluru / Vishakapatnam - whichever we can achieve)

We're fairly experienced travelers on the road and can do 800 KM/day on 4 lanes without any issues. Is the above plan feasible?

Also, how about the BNG > KURNOOL > ATMAKUR > DORNALA > GUNTUR > VIJAYAWADA road conditions?
1. As a frequent traveller on this sections, BNG > KURNOOL > ATMAKUR > DORNALA > GUNTUR > VIJAYAWADA may not be so comfortable riding pillion on this stretch. The section between Kurnool - Atmakur- Doranala - Guntur are picturesque, but I have my doubts regarding the comfort levels.

Will recommend BNG-KOLAR-PLMNR-CHITTOOR BYPASS-TIRUPATI-NAIDUPETA-NELLORE-KAVALI-VJA

2. VJA-VIZAG-Bbsr-Kharagpur is a breeze.

3. The route you intend to take to Siliguri is not mentioned, so cannot update on that.

Warm regards
Unavowed_X9

Last edited by Unavowed_X9 : 9th February 2016 at 13:29.
Unavowed_X9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2016, 13:28   #423
BHPian
 
sawan_dubey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 32
Thanked: 20 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries

Yeah, after spending some time on this thread, I realise tirupati route is the best option. Thanks for your time and suggestions

Approx how much time does it take from Bng - Vijayawada through this route?
sawan_dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2016, 13:58   #424
rkg
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,041
Thanked: 543 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawan_dubey View Post
Yeah, after spending some time on this thread, I realise tirupati route is the best option. Thanks for your time and suggestions

Approx how much time does it take from Bng - Vijayawada through this route?
Approximately 12-13 hours.

Bangalore-Mulbagal 100+ km 4 lane
Mulbagal-Putalapattu diversion towards Tirupati is old two lane road 110-120 km
Putalapattu _ Tirupati bypass good road approximately 50km
Tirupati bypass-Naidupet newly laid out two lane road 55 km
Naidupet-Viziawada 4 & 6 lane road
rkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2016, 14:06   #425
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: ............
Posts: 3,260
Thanked: 4,212 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawan_dubey View Post
Approx how much time does it take from Bng - Vijayawada through this route?
Here are my actual timings driven in 2012: we crossed Vijayawada in the early hours. I don't remember the exact time.

Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries-bhutan4.jpg
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2016, 14:29   #426
BHPian
 
sawan_dubey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 32
Thanked: 20 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries

Great, so going by the estimates, it would be difficult to reach Vizag if I'm traveling 4.30 a.m. to 6.30 p.m. on Day 1. We will stick to Vijayawada / Eluru. Thanks.
sawan_dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2016, 21:52   #427
BHPian
 
sawan_dubey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 32
Thanked: 20 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
Approximately 12-13 hours.

Bangalore-Mulbagal 100+ km 4 lane
Mulbagal-Putalapattu diversion towards Tirupati is old two lane road 110-120 km
Putalapattu _ Tirupati bypass good road approximately 50km
Tirupati bypass-Naidupet newly laid out two lane road 55 km
Naidupet-Viziawada 4 & 6 lane road
Superb information! Thank you... is there a google map link with all the bypass road for this route? BNG - Naidupet
sawan_dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2016, 17:03   #428
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 39
Thanked: 17 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries

There are bypass roads for Rajamundri and Vizag to avoid city traffic
- GNT road from Gundugolanu (towards Kovvuru), which hit Godavari fourth bridge bypassing the entire Rajahmundry city crowd
- You can take AP state highway 38 to bypass the Vizag city traffic. This road was a 2-lane road full of mid-sized craters. It was a 45 KM stretch, which took 1:10 hours for me to cover by car during evening time
Krishroy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2016, 12:11   #429
Newbie
 
SDM Photoblitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 12
Thanked: 7 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries

Quote:
GNT road from Gundugolanu (towards Kovvuru), which hit Godavari fourth bridge bypassing the entire Rajahmundry city crowd
Thanks Krishroy, for the infromation. But, since I will be approaching from the North, (i.e. from Vizag) can you please tell me the exact point where, I should leave NH5 and take the Rajahmundry bypass via Kovvuru, and GNT road ? And also the exact location where I will rejoin the NH5 again towards Eluru ?

Quote:
You can take AP state highway 38 to bypass the Vizag city traffic. This road was a 2-lane road full of mid-sized craters. It was a 45 KM stretch, which took 1:10 hours for me to cover by car during evening time
Quote:
Keep to the NH5. Takes nearly the same time, and will save you the diversion. Traffic depends on the timing you enter Vizag.
Unavowed_X9 , and Krishroy , can you both gentlemen come to a final verdict as to which of the two routes (NH5 or SH38) is the better one ? I expect to arrive at Vizag round 1000 -1100 hrs. on 1st March .
And what are the precise departure and rejoining points from NH5, if I wish to take the SH38, while coming the north ?
Thanks in advance.
SDM
SDM Photoblitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2016, 07:29   #430
BHPian
 
Unavowed_X9's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Indeterminate
Posts: 174
Thanked: 202 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDM Photoblitz View Post
Thanks Krishroy, for the infromation. But, since I will be approaching from the North, (i.e. from Vizag) can you please tell me the exact point where, I should leave NH5 and take the Rajahmundry bypass via Kovvuru, and GNT road ? And also the exact location where I will rejoin the NH5 again towards Eluru ?

Unavowed_X9 , and Krishroy , can you both gentlemen come to a final verdict as to which of the two routes (NH5 or SH38) is the better one ? I expect to arrive at Vizag round 1000 -1100 hrs. on 1st March .
And what are the precise departure and rejoining points from NH5, if I wish to take the SH38, while coming the north ?
Thanks in advance.
SDM
SDM Photoblitz
Dont have to bother about bypassing Rajahmundry. Simply drive through. It will be done in no time. Same goes with Vijayawada and Vizag. Just stick to the NH. These bypasses are not worth the effort you put in for searching the exits as well as negotiating the slightly uncomfortable / narrow roads.
Warm Regards.
Unavowed_X9

Last edited by Unavowed_X9 : 23rd February 2016 at 07:30.
Unavowed_X9 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2016, 04:38   #431
Senior - BHPian
 
vnabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC -> DC
Posts: 5,270
Thanked: 1,235 Times
Default

Hello all

Can someone post an update on the route and road conditions between Cuttack and Kolkata? My cousin is traveling this weekend from Vizag.
Thanks in advance.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2016, 11:42   #432
BHPian
 
9tMax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: hyderabad
Posts: 207
Thanked: 74 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDM Photoblitz View Post
Thanks Krishroy, for the infromation. But, since I will be approaching from the North, (i.e. from Vizag) can you please tell me the exact point where, I should leave NH5 and take the Rajahmundry bypass via Kovvuru, and GNT road ? And also the exact location where I will rejoin the NH5 again towards Eluru ?


SDM
You don't have to do anything to bypass Rajamundry as Unavowed has also mentioned. To make it more clear - just keep driving on the NH-5 and you will completely bypass Rajamundry without even knowing it, because the NH itself is the bypass and does not pass through the town proper. In fact, if you want to enter Rajamundry town, then only you have to leave NH-5.

But the same is not true with Vizag and Vijaywada. In both these cities the NH-5 goes through the city and is slightly to heavily crowded, depending on the time of the day. But they are 4-laned all along and are in good shape. So it may not be worthwhile searching for the bypass.
Plus you can have a nice tea and snack break if you want - in Vijaywada there are quite a few malls and food joints right on the NH-5.
9tMax is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2016, 14:35   #433
rkg
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,041
Thanked: 543 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries

There is no need to look for bypass in Bangalore-Vizag stretch.

One can clearly see the big road sign before chandragiri ( 15 km before tirupati). Take right turn into 4 lane road. Once right turn is taken just follow the road signs for Kalahasti/Naidupet. Thats all. At Naidupet T junction one has to take right turn and after some distance take left turn. It is about a kilometer long to reach NH5.

Try to cross Viziawada before 4 PM. otherwise you will be struck in traffic

No need to worry about Rajamundry bypass. NH5 did not enter Rajamundry at all. Just stick to 4 lane highway. Thats it.

Only for vizag bypass one has to look carefully. It starts just after Anakapalli. But in my opinion, the bypass is not worth the effort. One can stick to 4 lane and pass through Vizag. The traffic in Vizag is nothing compared to Bangalore.
rkg is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2016, 14:00   #434
Newbie
 
SDM Photoblitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 12
Thanked: 7 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries

Quote:
You don't have to do anything to bypass Rajamundry as Unavowed has also mentioned. To make it more clear - just keep driving on the NH-5 and you will completely bypass Rajamundry without even knowing it, because the NH itself is the bypass and does not pass through the town proper.
Quote:
Dont have to bother about bypassing Rajahmundry. Simply drive through. It will be done in no time.
Quote:
No need to worry about Rajamundry bypass. NH5 did not enter Rajamundry at all. Just stick to 4 lane highway. Thats it.
Thank you, Unavowed_X9, 9tMax, and rkg, From all of your advise, I am now sure about my route as regards Rajamundry .
Vijayawada is not an issue since, I have planned to stay there for one night, and have already booked myself at " Innotel " on the Vijayavada Ring Road.

But, the situation about Vizag is still a bit confusing.
Quote:
Only for vizag bypass one has to look carefully. It starts just after Anakapalli. But in my opinion, the bypass is not worth the effort. One can stick to 4 lane and pass through Vizag. The traffic in Vizag is nothing compared to Bangalore.
- rkg, firstly Anakapalli is to the South of Vizag, but since we will be approaching from the north ( i.e. BBSR) I would like to know the exit point from that direction.
Quote:
In both these cities the NH-5 goes through the city and is slightly to heavily crowded, depending on the time of the day. But they are 4-laned all along and are in good shape. So it may not be worthwhile searching for the bypass.
- 9tMax
Quote:
Same goes with Vijayawada and Vizag. Just stick to the NH. These bypasses are not worth the effort you put in for searching the exits as well as negotiating the slightly uncomfortable / narrow roads.
- Unavowed_X9
So gentlemen , what is the final verdict ? To Bypass, or Not to Bypass Vizag ? That is the question ! As pointed out earlier, I expect to reach Vizag at round 1100 hrs. on 1st march.
SDM Photoblitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2016, 19:59   #435
BHPian
 
9tMax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: hyderabad
Posts: 207
Thanked: 74 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDM Photoblitz View Post
So gentlemen , what is the final verdict ? To Bypass, or Not to Bypass Vizag ? That is the question ! As pointed out earlier, I expect to reach Vizag at round 1100 hrs. on 1st march.
From google maps it looks like it may not be difficult to identify the location where you need to leave NH5 for bypassing Vizag. Just after Bhimunipatnam you need to get off the NH and continue on the left fork - straight along the Pendurthi - Anadapuram road (SH-38) till you reach Anakapalle and then finally take a left turn just before Anakapalle to get onto NH-5 again. I know - a snapshot of the google map would have been much more clear, but just feeling too lazy to do all the copy - paste - crop - resize -post. Hope this helps you.

You will surely be having gps assistance with you I hope. So bypassing shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Please note: 1) this bypass is not anything like a proper 4-laned bypass like you have for the bigger metros, it is just an alternative route; 2) I have not used this route yet. What I wrote above is just by seeing google maps.

I suggest while traveling towards Vijaywada, you explore this bypass option and then depending on your experience, decide whether to use the bypass or go through the city while returning.

And don't forget to update us about the condition of this route once you complete your journey.
9tMax is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ranchi to Bhubaneswar : Route Queries //M Route / Travel Queries 21 7th June 2016 13:10
2000+ KM Drive: Hyderabad - Vizag - Araku - Vizag - Hyderabad NikhilReddy Travelogues 18 5th October 2011 16:15
First Long Trip - Bangalore to Vijayawada - Route Query and other related queries Newpunter Route / Travel Queries 6 13th December 2010 15:09
Info needed about NH5 (Chennai - Vizag, Vizag - Puri) GQ akroy Route / Travel Queries 2 31st July 2006 12:27


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:13.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks