Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2013, 15:30   #76
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,567
Thanked: 1,686 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingWheels View Post
Dear Friends,
Need help in figuring out any good hotels close to Hyderabad/Shamshadbad ORR towards Vijaywada (on either sides is fine), as chances are that I might get to get off early from Bangalore after a half day at work.

So instead of going all the way to Vijaywada, I might be able to do a night halt on either side of ORR. My journey is long (to Patna via Kolkata) so I do not want to miss out on this half day opportunity that I can utilize in travel.

Recommendation of any good hotels, for stay with family is desirable. No lodges or shady places please as there will be women with us.

Also, any inputs on good hotels in Cuttak on NH5 will be of great help.

Cheers,
Rolling Wheels
There are no good hotels as such at shamshabad except for Airport Novotel.If that falls within your budget,then its the most ideal as you can easily get onto the orr from there.No hotels at the Vijayawada road end of the ORR either.If this does not work,then I am afraid going to Gachibowli might be the best option and stay in one of the many hotels there (around 20kms).

There is a Swagath Grand open at Shamshabad(I saw it the other day).Just dial lists a number 040-67118253.You might want to call and check.

At Gachibowli,there is Aditya Sarovar Premiere(expensive),Ellaa Hotel at Hill Ridge,http://www.ellaahotels.com/contact-u...alconsnest.in/

I would suggest that you stay in Bhubaneswar instead of Cuttack The Crown,Hotel Presidency,Hotel Seetal,La Franklin,Hotel Kharavela and then there is Ginger about a km or two off the NH5.

But I too would like to echo Julupani's query-are you ok with driving HYD-VJA-Vizag-Bhubaneswar in one day?Hyd-Vja:3hrs,Vja-Vizag:5HRS,Vizag-Bhubaneswar:6-7hrs,if not ok,then better to stay in Vizag and do Vizag-Kolkata the next day.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2013, 11:51   #77
Senior - BHPian
 
vnabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC -> DC
Posts: 5,205
Thanked: 1,195 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries

@ranjitp1--the hotels you've listed will cost minimum 3000 per room. I remember one Traveller's Hotel at Shamshabad which is a lot more pocket-friendly, with AC rooms. It is owned by someone known to a bhpian.

As regards travel to BBSR on day 2, instead of Vizag, it might be better to break at Gopalpur in one of the many hotels there, on the seaside. Gopalpur is a mere 10 kms off the highway, and comes after passing Berhampur. Bhubaneswar is around 2.5 hours drive from there.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2013, 14:43   #78
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bhubaneswar
Posts: 1,762
Thanked: 532 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
As regards travel to BBSR on day 2, instead of Vizag, it might be better to break at Gopalpur in one of the many hotels there, on the seaside. Gopalpur is a mere 10 kms off the highway, and comes after passing Berhampur. Bhubaneswar is around 2.5 hours drive from there.
Personally I would stay away from the cheaper hotels of Gopalpur in off-season. Gopalpur is extremely seasonal from tourists point of view, and other than that it is pretty much a village. Thus during off-season the hotel service is not very good. Quite a few even shut down for a few months. During off season you will barely find a soul on the beach, except for the fishermen. The only off-season hotels I would go to are Swosti Palm Resort, Mayfair and Odisha Tourism's Panthanivas.

At Panthanivas, you could find a room at about 1000 bucks. Swosti Palm Resort has rooms from 3/4 thousand, but may reduce prices in off season. Mayfair Gopalpur is a premium hotel, with room rates about 10thousand or more.

Last edited by julupani : 15th August 2013 at 14:45.
julupani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2013, 16:49   #79
Senior - BHPian
 
vnabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC -> DC
Posts: 5,205
Thanked: 1,195 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
Personally I would stay away from the cheaper hotels of Gopalpur in off-season. Gopalpur is extremely seasonal from tourists point of view, and other than that it is pretty much a village. Thus during off-season the hotel service is not very good. Quite a few even shut down for a few months. During off season you will barely find a soul on the beach, except for the fishermen. The only off-season hotels I would go to are Swosti Palm Resort, Mayfair and Odisha Tourism's Panthanivas.

At Panthanivas, you could find a room at about 1000 bucks. Swosti Palm Resort has rooms from 3/4 thousand, but may reduce prices in off season. Mayfair Gopalpur is a premium hotel, with room rates about 10thousand or more.
Those were exactly what I was recommending. I guess Oberoi Palm Beach is now Mayfair, though I am not sure. There will be sparse rush on the beach and VFM deals in good hotels that you've listed.

Vizag comes too soon from Hyderabad: it takes around 9.5 to 10 hours only. And Bhubaneswar is another 6 hours away, making it too far. Gopalpur would be the ideal point therefore, as it is only around 3.5 hours away from Vizag. Berhampur, which is nearby, would be too crowded and dirty. Hence Gopalpur seems the best choice. This apart, there is an OTDC Pantha Nivas at Rambha too, but I was told the new NH5 does not touch that place any longer. It is 45 kms away from Berhampur and close to the NH5 that bypasses Rambha.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2013, 17:05   #80
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bhubaneswar
Posts: 1,762
Thanked: 532 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Those were exactly what I was recommending. I guess Oberoi Palm Beach is now Mayfair, though I am not sure. There will be sparse rush on the beach and VFM deals in good hotels that you've listed.
Reduced lean-season prices in Mayfair will be about 8000bucks, and at Swosti will be about 2500-3000 bucks.

The OTDC Panthanivas at Rambha and Barkul, are about 1-2kms off the NH now. These are both decent places, though nothing flashy. But there is also the point that Rambha/Barkul are about 1.5hours from Bhubaneswar, so one may as well continue.

Any idea about hotels in Srikakulam??
julupani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2013, 17:12   #81
Senior - BHPian
 
vnabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC -> DC
Posts: 5,205
Thanked: 1,195 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
Reduced lean-season prices in Mayfair will be about 8000bucks, and at Swosti will be about 2500-3000 bucks.

The OTDC Panthanivas at Rambha and Barkul, are about 1-2kms off the NH now. These are both decent places, though nothing flashy. But there is also the point that Rambha/Barkul are about 1.5hours from Bhubaneswar, so one may as well continue.

Any idea about hotels in Srikakulam??
I stayed at a budget hotel at Srikakulam named Nagavalli a decade ago. It had car parking and rooms were around 1000 rupees for AC room then. But one would need to travel 4 to 5 kms off the highway into the crowded town to reach that place. This apart, Srikakulam is only 1.5 hours drive from Vizag. So the best choices are Vizag or Bhubaneswar. If travel beyond Vizag becomes tedious, then one can always rest at Srikakulam, Gopalpur or Rambha/ Barkul.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2013, 18:37   #82
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 53
Thanked: 3 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries

Thank you all for your generous inputs.

@Julupani and @ranjitp1,

Thanks for giving clarity on lack of hotels on either sides of Hyderabad ORR, except the high end ones near the airport area. I will try Swagath as suggested by Ranjit in case I stay there.

I had shortlisted Hotel Presidency on NH5 earlier, but thought of checking for hotels in Cuttak, just in case I could cross the city and stay on the other side. But thanks for the input on Cuttak hotels, I too was not that keen on it.

My trip to Patna is going to be a bit leasurily. I do this twice a year and my route is

Day 1 - Bangalore - Nellore (after half day at work, stay at DSR Paradise)
Day 2 - Nellore - Srikakulam (stay at hotel Nagavalli)
Day 3 - Srikakulam - Kharagpur (stay at hotel Greenland)
Day 4 - Kharagpur - Patna

However, since there were suggestions on this blog to try out Hyderabad ORR route to Vijaywada due to 6 laning work in progress which even we experienced in March this year, when we were returning from Patna, I am thinking of giving it a try. It will give me options to drive on 4 lane almost throughtout the journey till I hit Dobhi on NH2 and take a turn towards Patna.

Since we are defensive drivers, and the journey is long (2405 kms approx.), we try not to do more than 650-700 kms. per day. We have done 1000kms a couple of times, but it turns out to be tiring and affects the onward journey the next day as we cannot keep to the schedule.

My plan this time is as below, and I feel it will be a good drive if we can keep to it -

Day 1 - Bangalore to Shamshadbad ( after half day at work, stay at Swagath possibly)
Day 2 - Shamshadbad to Srikakulam (stay at hotel Nagavalli)
Day 3 - Srikakulam - Kharagpur (stay at hotel Greenland)
Day 4 - Kharagpur - Patna

However, this time the journey will be approximately 200 kms. extra due to detour we are planning take as per the suggestions in the blog.
RollingWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2013, 09:31   #83
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bhubaneswar
Posts: 1,762
Thanked: 532 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingWheels View Post
Day 1 - Bangalore to Shamshadbad ( after half day at work, stay at Swagath possibly)
Day 2 - Shamshadbad to Srikakulam (stay at hotel Nagavalli)
Day 3 - Srikakulam - Kharagpur (stay at hotel Greenland)
Day 4 - Kharagpur - Patna
You may want to stick to the route via Nellore, as according to most news reports the Rayalseema region esp Anantapur and Kurnool districts are seeing the most protests for united Andhra.
julupani is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2013, 10:25   #84
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 573
Thanked: 49 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
You may want to stick to the route via Nellore, as according to most news reports the Rayalseema region esp Anantapur and Kurnool districts are seeing the most protests for united Andhra.
Drove the nellore route yesterday. Did not encounter any protests/road closures.

One issue is that getting fuel is a problem - bunks are only re-fueling local vehicles during the day. Was able to get fuel in Vijaywada at night. Starting on from Vijaywada to Bhubaneswar now.
CrackedHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2013, 10:51   #85
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bhubaneswar
Posts: 1,762
Thanked: 532 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
Drove the nellore route yesterday. Did not encounter any protests/road closures.

One issue is that getting fuel is a problem - bunks are only re-fueling local vehicles during the day. Was able to get fuel in Vijaywada at night. Starting on from Vijaywada to Bhubaneswar now.
The fuel may have had something to do with yesterday being Independence Day. And from what I have heard protests do happen in and around Vijayawada as well, but as you would have been in that area later in the day, the protests of the day may have ended.

Anyway, have a pleasant journey to Bhubaneswar and do report whether there are any protests in northern coastal districts of Andhra.
julupani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2013, 11:02   #86
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 573
Thanked: 49 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
The fuel may have had something to do with yesterday being Independence Day. And from what I have heard protests do happen in and around Vijayawada as well, but as you would have been in that area later in the day, the protests of the day may have ended.

Anyway, have a pleasant journey to Bhubaneswar and do report whether there are any protests in northern coastal districts of Andhra.
The petrol pump manager who I talked to (and managed to get fuel from) told me that their tankers were not plying due to bandh issues and stocks were low. The car I was driving had OR plates and local vehicles were getting fuel without any issues. Will try filling up today and let you know once I reach.
CrackedHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2013, 12:31   #87
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 53
Thanked: 3 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
The petrol pump manager who I talked to (and managed to get fuel from) told me that their tankers were not plying due to bandh issues and stocks were low. The car I was driving had OR plates and local vehicles were getting fuel without any issues. Will try filling up today and let you know once I reach.
Please keep us posted on both the fuel refilling issues you might have faced and the reasons behind it, as well as any other obstacles that might come your way due to the protests. This is critical information for anyone traveling.

Also, if you can inquire from someone once in Orrisa about the status of opening of the toll booth near Orrisa-WB border (Jaleswar Border). Last time I had seen some 8 lane booth under construction, which gave me hope that the traffic will be managed better and we will not have to keep changing lanes to cross the border. But it had not opened up till March 2013, so any fresh inputs will help. Thanks.

Have a safe journey ahead.
RollingWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2013, 12:36   #88
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 53
Thanked: 3 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
You may want to stick to the route via Nellore, as according to most news reports the Rayalseema region esp Anantapur and Kurnool districts are seeing the most protests for united Andhra.
with you.
In fact my alternate route plan is as follows, and I will take a final call closer to the date of journey. Will also check with you in case you have any fresh inputs then -

Day 1 - Bangalore to Vijaywada (via Tirupati Route and NH5)
Day 2 - Vijaywada to OTDC Rambha
Day 3 - OTDC Rambha to Durgapur
Day 4 - Durgapur to Patna

Thanks once again for your invaluable inputs.
RollingWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2013, 13:02   #89
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bhubaneswar
Posts: 1,762
Thanked: 532 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingWheels View Post
with you.
In fact my alternate route plan is as follows, and I will take a final call closer to the date of journey. Will also check with you in case you have any fresh inputs then -

Day 1 - Bangalore to Vijaywada (via Tirupati Route and NH5)
Day 2 - Vijaywada to OTDC Rambha
Day 3 - OTDC Rambha to Durgapur
Day 4 - Durgapur to Patna

Thanks once again for your invaluable inputs.
In this plan, I would suggest changing day 2 and day 3, as follows:

Day 2: Vijayawada-Bhubaneswar
Day 3: Bhubaneswar-Durgapur. ( you may extend to Asansol or Dhanbad even)

Vijayawada-Bhubaneswar is easily doable in 11 hours as traffic beyond Vizag is thin. Also if you make Bhubaneswar a stop, you avoid the traffic in and around Bhubaneswar Cuttack, if you leave before 8am. Coming from Rambha, you will hit Bhubaneswar-Cuttack section at peak traffic times, and you may end up taking 2 or more hours to cover 40kms.

Of course if you planning to take a small peak at the Chilika lake while at Rambha, that's another story.
julupani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2013, 13:20   #90
Senior - BHPian
 
vnabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC -> DC
Posts: 5,205
Thanked: 1,195 Times
Default re: Bangalore - Vijayawada - Vizag - Bhubaneswar : Route Queries

@Rolling Wheels---I second Julupani's recommendation of staying at BBSR on day 2 instead of Rambha. The journey from Vijayawada to Vizag will be 6 hours and BBSR will be another 6 hours from there. The road from Vizag to BBSR is awesome, per my cousin who travelled last month. It took him 5.5 hours to cover that stretch.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ranchi to Bhubaneswar : Route Queries //M Route / Travel Queries 21 7th June 2016 13:10
2000+ KM Drive: Hyderabad - Vizag - Araku - Vizag - Hyderabad NikhilReddy Travelogues 18 5th October 2011 16:15
First Long Trip - Bangalore to Vijayawada - Route Query and other related queries Newpunter Route / Travel Queries 6 13th December 2010 15:09
Info needed about NH5 (Chennai - Vizag, Vizag - Puri) GQ akroy Route / Travel Queries 2 31st July 2006 12:27


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:14.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks