Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2010, 13:59   #31
BHPian
 
devrajman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 504
Thanked: 116 Times
Default

Im planning to do a 3-4 days trip to Coorg.

I found from Google Maps that there are 2 routes. One via Mysore and other via Channarayapatna (close to Shravanbengoda).

I was thinking of going via Channarayapatna for my on-ward journey and Mysore route for my back-ward journey so I can cover different things during my journey.

Anyone aware of the via-Channarayapatna route? Any info on route conditions?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Planning a trip to Coorg-coorg-trip.jpg  

devrajman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2010, 14:44   #32
Senior - BHPian
 
addyhemmige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore/Hassan
Posts: 1,549
Thanked: 465 Times
Default

The best route would still be the Mysore-Madikeri route. Where in Coorg do you plan to visit?

On the Channarayapatna route, the Channarayapatna-Hole Narsipur section might be good, as I had seen a newly laid road near Hole Narsipur a month back. No idea about Hole Narsipur-Arkalgud section. Arkalgud-Mallipatna-Shanivarsante is bad upto 2-3 kms before Shanivarsante. Shanivarsante-Somwarpet-Madikeri route is good.
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2010, 16:50   #33
BHPian
 
devrajman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 504
Thanked: 116 Times
Default

Im planning to visit most of the places around coorg/medikeri.

I will plan my visit based on route decided.

My query was why people dont try to take this route and visit Shravanbelgoda/etc too?
devrajman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2010, 17:05   #34
Senior - BHPian
 
addyhemmige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore/Hassan
Posts: 1,549
Thanked: 465 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post
Im planning to visit most of the places around coorg/medikeri.

I will plan my visit based on route decided.

My query was why people dont try to take this route and visit Shravanbelgoda/etc too?
Actually, if you are visiting Somwarpet and surrounding region, this route is shorter. Even KSRTC buses from Bangalore to Somwarpet take this route. But, since the road conditions are bad/presumed to be bad and given the beautiful road conditions on Bangalore-Mysore-Madikeri route, it is more likely that people will go for the latter.
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2011, 17:33   #35
BHPian
 
flyingkolors's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 212
Thanked: 57 Times
Default Re: Planning on trip to coorg.

Folks, we're planning a trip to coorg this weekend starting from Bangalore. I've never been to this place and a simple google search gave me 3 possible routes.

1. SH17 and SH88
2. NH48
3. NH209

Can somebody please suggest the best way to reach there. 10-20KM here and there is OK. I am looking for good roads only.
Attached Thumbnails
Planning a trip to Coorg-trip.jpg  

flyingkolors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 11:05   #36
Senior - BHPian
 
addyhemmige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore/Hassan
Posts: 1,549
Thanked: 465 Times
Default Re: Planning on trip to coorg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkolors View Post
Folks, we're planning a trip to coorg this weekend starting from Bangalore. I've never been to this place and a simple google search gave me 3 possible routes.

1. SH17 and SH88
2. NH48
3. NH209

Can somebody please suggest the best way to reach there. 10-20KM here and there is OK. I am looking for good roads only.
The best route is still Bangalore-Mysore-Hunsur-Madikeri. Excellent roads for most of the journey. Watch out for humps and barricades though. Where in Coorg are you planning to visit?
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 11:19   #37
Senior - BHPian
 
Fauji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,469
Thanked: 955 Times
Default Re: Planning on trip to coorg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
The best route is still Bangalore-Mysore-Hunsur-Madikeri. Excellent roads for most of the journey. Watch out for humps and barricades though. Where in Coorg are you planning to visit?
Dont have to touch Mysore and can take deviation at Sri rangapatna to Ilavala. This will save you atleast 30 Minutes. The road is good and green - thanks to summer rain. We just travelled on this road while coming from Mysore last week as there was traffic jam on Ring road.

Easy thing to do - Follow the Orange County siganage after Sri rangapatna when you reach a big round about. They have placed it at all possble junctions.
Fauji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 11:34   #38
BHPian
 
sbkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 350
Thanked: 90 Times
Default Re: Planning on trip to coorg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Dont have to touch Mysore and can take deviation at Sri rangapatna to Ilavala. This will save you atleast 30 Minutes. The road is good and green - thanks to summer rain. We just travelled on this road while coming from Mysore last week as there was traffic jam on Ring road.

Easy thing to do - Follow the Orange County siganage after Sri rangapatna when you reach a big round about. They have placed it at all possble junctions.
One catch though, I believe some stretch of this route is closed after 10 PM in the night. I faced this problem an year back, not sure what's the condition now.
sbkumar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 12:10   #39
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 284
Thanked: 57 Times
Default Re: Planning on trip to coorg.

I did Mysore _ Madikere last week. The roads are excellent. You can also visit the attractions near Kushal Nagar en-route and avoid travelling back from Madikere.

My travelogue is @
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...hotologue.html (Coorg - A Photologue)
raju2512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 16:57   #40
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 813
Thanked: 220 Times
Default Re: Planning on trip to coorg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
One catch though, I believe some stretch of this route is closed after 10 PM in the night. I faced this problem an year back, not sure what's the condition now.
I did this road 5ish in the morning couple of weeks back, except that it can be deserted at certain areas and some bad stretches there were no issues. Was it any road checking by the police that you noticed? I have done this road many times during the day, never noticed any checkposts
gadadhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 20:28   #41
Senior - BHPian
 
Fauji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,469
Thanked: 955 Times
Default Re: Planning on trip to coorg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
I did this road 5ish in the morning couple of weeks back, except that it can be deserted at certain areas and some bad stretches there were no issues. Was it any road checking by the police that you noticed? I have done this road many times during the day, never noticed any checkposts
I agree with Gadadhar.

This strectch is not closed and open 24/7 as it does not pass through any forests. Go ahead and enjoy the drive. The strecth is really green and let us have some good pictures of the "rice bowl" of Karnataka
Fauji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2011, 15:54   #42
BHPian
 
myashu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 28
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Planning on trip to coorg.

From Bangalore, I travelled to Madikeri, Bhagamandala and TalaCauvery. Roads are Excellent. Good eat outs on the route. Coorg Cafe at Hunsur and CCD at Kushal Nagar. Great green stretches and enjoyed the beautiful rain. Roads are bad inside Madikeri and around 5 KMs towards Bhagamandala. Rest all are cool... Grab the steering, enjoy the drive.... !!!
myashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2012, 10:42   #43
BHPian
 
santhosh_lv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 111
Thanked: 43 Times
Default Re: Planning on trip to coorg.

Guys - i am planning for a weekend in Coorg around end of this month. How are the road conditions now b/w Kushalnagar and coorg? what route do you suggest from Bangalore to coorg?
santhosh_lv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2012, 11:52   #44
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,088
Thanked: 586 Times
Default Re: Planning on trip to coorg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by santhosh_lv View Post
Guys - i am planning for a weekend in Coorg around end of this month. How are the road conditions now b/w Kushalnagar and coorg? what route do you suggest from Bangalore to coorg?
Which place in Coorg are you planning to visit ? Coorg or (Kodagu as it is called in the local lingo) is a district of Karnataka and Kushalnagar happens to be a town in Coorg - so your question doesn't make much of sense.

If the place you plan to visit is Madikeri, then the road from Kushalnagar to there is excellent. The route is : Bangalore-Mandya-SrirangaPatna (Take a right here) - Yelivala-Hunsur-Periyapatna-Kushalnagar-Madikeri. The road is good throughout except for some short patchy stretches between Srirangapatna and Yelivala.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2012, 14:40   #45
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: London
Posts: 425
Thanked: 484 Times
Default Re: Planning on trip to coorg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by santhosh_lv View Post
Guys - i am planning for a weekend in Coorg around end of this month. How are the road conditions now b/w Kushalnagar and coorg? what route do you suggest from Bangalore to coorg?
@Santhosh, Kala has already given the route from Bangalore to Madikeri.

If you are planning to go to Madikeri or Somavarpet, then you have to go via Kushalnagar. But, if you are planning to travel to south coorg, like Ponnampet, Gonikoppal, Virarajendrapet, Pollibeta then you have to take a deviation from Hunsur and will not be travelling through Kushalnagar.

Road Between Hunsur to above mentioned places are OK.

Regards
chandrda is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pune to Coorg (My Eden); Coorg to Pune in a Gypsy - Travelogue Twinn Travelogues 19 2nd December 2017 02:40
Planning a Christmas trip around Ooty / Coorg phamilyman Route / Travel Queries 29 27th December 2013 01:04
Help in Planning Coorg & Chikmagalur srikanthpotluri Route / Travel Queries 6 16th April 2010 18:19
Planning a trip to Khajuraho EDIT: Now with trip log ntomer Travelogues 4 9th January 2008 17:53


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:58.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks