Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 30th November 2012, 12:15   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Planning on trip to coorg.

Any latest update on the road conditions from Channaryapattana to Kushalnagara via Hole Narsipura-Arakkalguda ? I am on a 2 day trip to Madikeri from Bangalore and was thinking of taking the following route while coming back: Madikeri-Kushalnagara-Arakkalguda-Hole Narsipura-Channaryapattana-Kunigal-Bangalore. Would there be time to squeeze in a visit to Sravanabelagola If I start from Madikeri by around 11AM? I don't mind reaching Bangalore late in the night.
sandsun7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 13:59   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Any latest update on the road conditions from Channaryapattana to Kushalnagara via Hole Narsipura-Arakkalguda ? I am on a 2 day trip to Madikeri from Bangalore and was thinking of taking the following route while coming back: Madikeri-Kushalnagara-Arakkalguda-Hole Narsipura-Channaryapattana-Kunigal-Bangalore. Would there be time to squeeze in a visit to Sravanabelagola If I start from Madikeri by around 11AM? I don't mind reaching Bangalore late in the night.
You can visit Shravanabelagola on the way. Only issue is that it will be very hot while climbing the hill. Madikeri-Kushalnagara route is good. But From Kushalnagar till Arkalgudu, the road condition is suspect. Arkalgudu to Holenarsipur was being relaid a year back, don't know if it is done completely. Holenarsipur-Channarayapatna-Kunigal-Bangalore is good. Will check with a friend who travels to Arkalgudu regularly.

Btw, it is pronounced as Arakalagoodu
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 14:20   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Only issue is that it will be very hot while climbing the hill.
Few other friends also indicated the same, so the plan to visit Shravanabelagola is almost dropped now. But still seriously considering taking the Arakalagoodu-Channaryapattana route for the return journey, just to drive on a different unknown route. Hunsur-Mysore-Maddur route has become sort of routine and boring

Quote:
Madikeri-Kushalnagara route is good. But From Kushalnagar till Arkalgudu, the road condition is suspect. Arkalgudu to Holenarsipur was being relaid a year back, don't know if it is done completely. Holenarsipur-Channarayapatna-Kunigal-Bangalore is good. Will check with a friend who travels to Arkalgudu regularly.
Btw, it is pronounced as Arakalagoodu
Thanks for the update and the correction! I presume it would have been relaid as one year is a long enough time.

Quote:
Will check with a friend who travels to Arkalgudu regularly.
Please do. I would be returning on Sunday.
Old 30th November 2012, 21:14   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Thanks for the update and the correction! I presume it would have been relaid as one year is a long enough time.

Please do. I would be returning on Sunday.
Your hunch was correct. Arakalagoodu-Holenarsipura road is in superb condition. Just checked with my friend. He also says, Kushalnagar-Konanur-Arakalgoodu is in bad shape.

So, apart from 50kms (approx) of bad roads, the remaining part is good till Bangalore.
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 22:05   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Your hunch was correct. Arakalagoodu-Holenarsipura road is in superb condition. Just checked with my friend. He also says, Kushalnagar-Konanur-Arakalgoodu is in bad shape.

So, apart from 50kms (approx) of bad roads, the remaining part is good till Bangalore.
Thanks for the update, addy. Hope the 50 odd bad stretch would be still doable in a hatch (punto).
Old 7th December 2012, 10:36   #51
BHPian

Did you make the trip?

We are planning to go to Coorg tomorrow. Since Bangalore Mysore highway is blocked, this could be the only option.

Any update on road conditions?
sumannandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2012, 12:20   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
Did you make the trip?

We are planning to go to Coorg tomorrow. Since Bangalore Mysore highway is blocked, this could be the only option.

How long is this block for?-Cauvery issue yet again?
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2012, 12:47   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
How long is this block for?-Cauvery issue yet again?
As far as things stand, don't reckon there is any block.

Basically, SC has directed Karnataka Govt to release 10K Cusecs water to TN. Farmers are saying they will keep a close eye on the reservoir, if they come to know that water has been released, then the road block ( inevitably ) start all over again.

Suman, trust it's ok i replied on your behalf
redballons is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2012, 14:09   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
Did you make the trip?

I did the coorg trip, but used the conventional route - Bangalore-Mysore-Hunsur-Kushalnagar- both ways. Did not try Channaryapattana route.
The Mysore-Hunsur-Kushalnagar route is in pristine condition. Easily doable in 5.5- 6 hours. If you want to avoid blockades at Mandya, take Kanakapura-Malavalli-Bannur-Mysore-Hunsur route. Distance would be more or less same, road is excellent till Malavalli and average then on till Mysore.
Old 19th December 2012, 16:34   #55
BHPian

Couple of my guys want to climb Tadiandamol peak at Coorg, but since this is a last minute idea, getting accommodation is turning out to be a pain , a lady has agreed to kindly host us, but the home stay is at Madikeri.

Plan is to leave B'lore early ( say 3AM ) be at the base of the peak by around 10AM ( possible ? ) , then climb up the mountain and descend back by 3:30PM ( possible ? ) and then head to Dubare elephant camp ( will be it open post 4PM ? ) and then to Madikeri to stay put for the night.

next early morning planning to cover Bhagamandala + Tibet Colony and then head to Bekal , visit the place and then back to B'lore ( possible ? )

need some help on route -

1) Best road from B'lore - Tadiandamol peak
2) Tadiandamol peak - Madikeri
3) Bhagamandala - Bekal Fort ( via Panathur ? )
4) Bekal - B'lore

Planning to leave on 24th early morning ( 3AM ) and return by 25th night ( 10-11PM )

suspect heavy traffic, any alternative routes please ?
redballons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2012, 16:15   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redballons View Post
Plan is to leave B'lore early ( say 3AM ) be at the base of the peak by around 10AM ( possible ? ) , then climb up the mountain and descend back by 3:30PM ( possible ? ) and then head to Dubare elephant camp ( will be it open post 4PM ? ) and then to Madikeri to stay put for the night.

next early morning planning to cover Bhagamandala + Tibet Colony and then head to Bekal , visit the place and then back to B'lore ( possible ? )

need some help on route -

1) Best road from B'lore - Tadiandamol peak
2) Tadiandamol peak - Madikeri
3) Bhagamandala - Bekal Fort ( via Panathur ? )
4) Bekal - B'lore
Bangalore to Thadiyandamol (assuming base camp at Kakkabe) would be around 280kms via Mysore-Hunsur-Kushalnagar-Madikeri-Napoklu. Currently this is the best route, although not the shortest. Roads all good almost all the way. you could reach Kakkabe by around 9 if you start at 3 Am sharp and drive fast.
Climbing the peak and coming back by 3PM and then planning a trip to Dubare would not be a good idea in my opinion. You still have to travel a distance of more than 60kms to reach Dubare camp. Better to climb slowly and spend more time at the peak. Evening, you could watch sunset at Raja's seat in Madikeri.
Day two plan looks a little optimistic, but still doable. Visiting tibetan colony would not be possible in this schedule, as it is located near Kushalnagar, you would be going in the opposite direction (towards Bagamandala) when you are heading towards Bekal fort. If time permits, you could visit the same during the return journey to Bangalore. Keep in mind, total distance covered in that day would work upto around 500, and you would not have too much time in hand to spend at Bekal fort unless you start very early from Madikeri. Fog/mist could also be an issue on the Madikeri-Bagamandala road. I Did this route on December 2nd and encountered foggy conditions at 7 AM!
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2012, 12:54   #57
BHPian

Hi

Any information on timings and entry fees for Dubare Elephant Camp?

Thanks

Satish
satshen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2013, 09:52   #58
BHPian

Planning a trip to madikeri coming Thu(11th April). I have traveled to madikeri several times through the traditional Mysore road route, but would like to get opinion on the other two routes

1- bangalore-kanakpura-malavalli-bannur-mysore-husnur-kushalnagar-madikeri

2- bangalore-kunigal-channarayapatna-holenarsipur-kushalnagar-madikeri

I have read mixed opinions on the above two in Team-BHP? anybody has the latest status?

The one via channarayapatna looked promising (I know the road till Channarayaptna is good since I have driven till Hasan last year), but the report that around 50 kms in the channarayapatna to kushalnagar is bad put me off.

I have driven though Kanakapura road to Kollegal as well so I am ok with the road till Malavalli (unless it has gone bad in the last year). But what about Malavalli-Bannur-Mysore?
anupkma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2013, 10:49   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupkma View Post

Hassan-Gorur-Arkalgud-Shanivarsanthe-Somwarpet-Madikeri has improved quite well as per the some recent post (2-3 months old I think)
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2013, 11:33   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupkma View Post

I have read mixed opinions on the above two in Team-BHP? anybody has the latest status?

The one via channarayapatna looked promising (I know the road till Channarayaptna is good since I have driven till Hasan last year), but the report that around 50 kms in the channarayapatna to kushalnagar is bad put me off.
If you are planning to take the Channarayapatna route, no need to go through Kushalnagar. Arkalgud-Ramanathapura-Kushalnagar route has been bad for quite some time. The preferred route is

Bangalore-Kunigal-Channrayapatna-Holenarsipur-Arkalgud-Mallipatna-Shanivarsante-Somwarpet-Madikeri

You have good roads from Bangalore till Arkalgud. Arkalgud-Mallipatna (10 kms) is a narrow and potholed stretch. From Mallipatna to Madikeri, it is a decent road which has been patched up in places.

If you want to visit Kushalnagar also, I would suggest you stick to the Mysore-Hunsur-Kushalnagar route

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Hassan-Gorur-Arkalgud-Shanivarsanthe-Somwarpet-Madikeri has improved quite well as per the some recent post (2-3 months old I think)
Amp, from what I heard, Hassan-Gorur-Arkalgud is still pothole ridden.

Last edited by addyhemmige : 8th April 2013 at 11:36.
addyhemmige is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote