Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2010, 12:30   #1
Senior - BHPian
 
download2live's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,103
Thanked: 387 Times
Smile Planning a trip to Coorg

Hi,
I am planning to take a trip to coorg this coming weekend. I will request some inputs from people.
The main problem is that it has to be a 2 day trip. We start off on Saturday morning and have to be back by Sunday 9 in night.
The start time is not a constraint and I am planning to infact start at 5 in morning.
I have been going through the trip details posted and this is the route I planned on. Thanks @simonkayar
1. Take the Bangalore-Mysore highway. It is absolutely great to drive on it.
2. Reach Sri Rangapattnam (Bangalore > Ramanagaram > Channapatna > Maddur > Mandya > Srirangapatnam)
3. Take the diversion to right after about 10 or 12 kms from Srirangapattnam (Note: The way is known as Rangathittu bird santuary route)
4. Reach Madikeri via kushalnagar (Hunsur > Piriyapatna -> Kushalnagar > Suntikoppa > Madikeri)

And the way back will also be the same. If any better routes kindly suggest. There will be some night driving as we are planning to start off from there by 4 in evening.
Of course I wont be able to cover everything. But after going through threads I found that some places can be visited while on the way to coorg. Namely the tibetian monastery at kushalnagar. Talacavery is also a must visit on the list. There are two waterfalls I guess. Will like to visit both.
Can people chip in with the suggestions as to in which order what can be seen. And also some nice place to stay. We are not looking at 5 star hotel. Just a decent nice clean lodging. And some places to eat. Heard there is a coorg cuisine hotel near post office somewhere. Any inputs on it and other will be great.

Roads I hope are in good condition.

Mods, Kindly do not lock the thread. Will upload the pics and the trip data on it once I return.
download2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 12:54   #2
BHPian
 
Newpunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 655
Thanked: 63 Times
Default

I will be looking at this thread with interest as I am planning the same trip for the long weekend during Dussehra.
I was wondering about the Ranganathittu route. Would it be faster to take the Mysore ring road - Hunsur road route instead of the Ranganathittu route ?
Newpunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 15:14   #3
BHPian
 
donarun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: chennai
Posts: 345
Thanked: 17 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
I will be looking at this thread with interest as I am planning the same trip for the long weekend during Dussehra.
+1. Have you booked your accomodation ? I am just starting to look out for availability of accomodation.

I'm looking to drive down to coorg on a Fiat Linea, worried if the car's ground clearance would be of an issue on the trip. Has anybody been to coorg on a Fiat Linea during / post monsoon ?
donarun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 15:38   #4
BHPian
 
Newpunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 655
Thanked: 63 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by donarun View Post
+1. Have you booked your accomodation ? I am just starting to look out for availability of accomodation.

I'm looking to drive down to coorg on a Fiat Linea, worried if the car's ground clearance would be of an issue on the trip. Has anybody been to coorg on a Fiat Linea during / post monsoon ?
I have booked my accomodation at a resort in Kushalnagar through Yatra, but haven't got the confirmation from them yet. I think you can try Cleartrip or Yatra for the online bookings and they are offering some discounts right now. If you want to call the owners directly, you can try this site, there are a lot of homestays on here :

Welcome to Home Stay Kodagu

Regarding the ground clearance, I guess Download2live will be driving his Punto, so you can get a good idea once his trip is done. But I have heard that the roads are mostly good now, except for a few stretches.

Last edited by Newpunter : 7th October 2010 at 15:40.
Newpunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 16:00   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
n_aditya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 5,206
Thanked: 2,742 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
And also some nice place to stay. We are not looking at 5 star hotel. Just a decent nice clean lodging.
Check this out. www.coorgthenest.com Highly recommended.

I stayed here a few weeks back and i absolutely loved it. The charges are 3k per couple all inclusive (breakfast, meals, tea/coffee/snacks). I'm not sure if the charges have changed now though.

Best part is that the place is run by the owners so you'll get nothing but a pure clean homestay experience. The owners are very warm and friendly too. They will chalk out the sight seeing plan for you too. Just call the number on the site and book the room(s).

Rooms are clean and spacious and the food is hygenic and homely. Best homestay experience and i'm looking forward to another trip to this place on my bike.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 16:06   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
Surprise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,299
Thanked: 129 Times
Default

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...-madikeri.html (Looking for info on good "Resorts" or "Home stays" in Madikeri)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...endations.html (Coorg recommendations)

You get confused with the lots of options on home stays and mixed reviews about them. As someone mentioned earlier nothing beats the recommendation by a TBHP'ian

Edit-2: http://www.coffeecreek.co.in/index.html

Run by a Bhp'ian Zahed (princezahed)

Last edited by Surprise : 7th October 2010 at 16:11.
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 16:16   #7
BHPian
 
donarun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: chennai
Posts: 345
Thanked: 17 Times
Default

@newpunter : when you planning to start ? I am planning to take 14th off and start on the same day itself but again all depends on the availability of accomodation in coorg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Check this out. www.coorgthenest.com Highly recommended.
The link doesnt seem to work.

Last edited by donarun : 7th October 2010 at 16:24.
donarun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 16:49   #8
BHPian
 
sbkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 350
Thanked: 90 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Hi,
I am planning to take a trip to coorg this coming weekend. I will request some inputs from people.
The main problem is that it has to be a 2 day trip. We start off on Saturday morning and have to be back by Sunday 9 in night.
The start time is not a constraint and I am planning to infact start at 5 in morning.
I have been going through the trip details posted and this is the route I planned on. Thanks @simonkayar
1. Take the Bangalore-Mysore highway. It is absolutely great to drive on it.
2. Reach Sri Rangapattnam (Bangalore > Ramanagaram > Channapatna > Maddur > Mandya > Srirangapatnam)
3. Take the diversion to right after about 10 or 12 kms from Srirangapattnam (Note: The way is known as Rangathittu bird santuary route)
.
If I remember right, this right turn comes immediately after crossing Srirangapatna. You come across a bridge and as soon as you cross the bridge you will see this right turn. It is a very narrow road to start with and then it becomes a normal two lane. They close some section of this route in the night after 8.30/9.00 I think. Can someone confirm this?


Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
4. Reach Madikeri via kushalnagar (Hunsur > Piriyapatna -> Kushalnagar > Suntikoppa > Madikeri)

And the way back will also be the same. If any better routes kindly suggest. There will be some night driving as we are planning to start off from there by 4 in evening.
Of course I wont be able to cover everything. But after going through threads I found that some places can be visited while on the way to coorg. Namely the tibetian monastery at kushalnagar. Talacavery is also a must visit on the list. There are two waterfalls I guess. Will like to visit both.
Can people chip in with the suggestions as to in which order what can be seen. And also some nice place to stay. We are not looking at 5 star hotel. Just a decent nice clean lodging. And some places to eat. Heard there is a coorg cuisine hotel near post office somewhere. Any inputs on it and other will be great.

Roads I hope are in good condition.

Mods, Kindly do not lock the thread. Will upload the pics and the trip data on it once I return.
if you have kids, you can go to Dubare elephant camp. They have some specific timings, please check and plan accordingly. You can also do rafting at this place. Also I heard that you can't get into any of the falls. You can just see them from a distance.
sbkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 16:51   #9
BHPian
 
Newpunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 655
Thanked: 63 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by donarun View Post
@newpunter : when you planning to start ? I am planning to take 14th off and start on the same day itself but again all depends on the availability of accomodation in coorg.


The link doesnt seem to work.
I am planning to start on the 15th morning and stay till the 17th. My booking is not yet confirmed though. I have called the Yatra call center and they said they will get back to me soon. I need to check the other links posted in this thread and see if there is anything in my budget ( am on a very tight budget this time ) and also see if the roads leading to them are good enough for my Punto.

Edit: Just got a call from Yatra saying the resort that i had requested is completely booked. Now i'm back to searching again :( .

Last edited by Newpunter : 7th October 2010 at 17:00.
Newpunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 17:08   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
h@r$h@l's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: GJ1
Posts: 1,433
Thanked: 686 Times
Default

Guys,

I got back from Coorg 2 weeks ago. we did a road trip from Ahmedabad across down south and back. More details are on

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post2077656 (15 days, 5 crazy travellers, 4000 kms.)

we stayed at a home stay in Madikeri. The place was fantastic and food + service were excellent. The reason we picked home stays was we wanted to experience local culture and food.

Any more information, you can PM me or leave a msg on my travelogue
h@r$h@l is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 17:27   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
n_aditya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 5,206
Thanked: 2,742 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by donarun View Post
The link doesnt seem to work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
Just got a call from Yatra saying the resort that i had requested is completely booked. Now i'm back to searching again :( .
Coorg The Nest contact numbers - 08274-247-383 ; 0-94802-90411. Contact person - Mrs. Asha.

They have only 4 rooms available, so make a reservation asap.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 18:42   #12
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 334
Thanked: 18 Times
Default

All,

Subscribing to this thread as am too planning to visit coorg at the end of october
ravikn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 19:22   #13
BHPian
 
neel385's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Kharagpur
Posts: 530
Thanked: 401 Times
Default

Did the route a few months back. It was very doable in an Indigo so a Linea should not be a problem. My experiences posted on http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...g-sojourn.html (Our Coorg Sojourn)
neel385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2010, 07:53   #14
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian
 
KPS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,002
Thanked: 4,551 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Hi,
I am planning to take a trip to coorg this coming weekend. I will request some inputs from people.
1. Take the Bangalore-Mysore highway. It is absolutely great to drive on it.
2. Reach Sri Rangapattnam (Bangalore > Ramanagaram > Channapatna > Maddur > Mandya > Srirangapatnam)
3. Take the diversion to right after about 10 or 12 kms from Srirangapattnam (Note: The way is known as Rangathittu bird santuary route)
4. Reach Madikeri via kushalnagar (Hunsur > Piriyapatna -> Kushalnagar > Suntikoppa > Madikeri)

And the way back will also be the same. If any better routes kindly suggest. .
Roads I hope are in good condition.
Being a true blood Kodava, guess I can with authority say that this is the best route to Madikeri. Leaving at 5 a.m. is a very good idea as you will beat the Bangalore morning traffic. You can have breakfast at Hunsur where you should reach by 8 a.m. (both the restaurants are at the beginning of the bye-pass towards Coorg).

WORD OF CAUTION: Please be careful on the Suntikoppa --> Madikeri Road. The road condition is fantastic and people tend to do high speeds here. But there are so many dangerous curves here that you can loose control of your car very easily.

About places to see in Coorg, it all depends on your interest. Coorg is more about being close to nature and hence unless you have an interest in nature, this could be a boring place for you. Be prepared to shed your urban garb if you want to enjoy Coorg.

MY HUMBLE PLEA IS NOT TO LITTER PLASTIC OF ANY KIND. BRING BACK ALL THE WATER BOTTLES, DO NOT LITTER.

Have a pleasant stay.

Cheers

KPS
KPS is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2010, 16:17   #15
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: India
Posts: 673
Thanked: 138 Times
Default

Better to book accomodation in advance to avoid unnecessary headache.

This is an excellent time to see the waterfalls, few of them one can stand under the water and enjoy too. As you already said you are looking for 5* so its OT here - if you change your mind, around 2kms from the town theres a beautiful place where they have 5-6 cottages in the hills, home cooked food, they do farming inside the area, small canal, beautiful. But note that at night it will be totally dark outside as if middle of a forest, cottages have lights (electricity).

All the best.

Last edited by AvonA7 : 8th October 2010 at 16:19.
AvonA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pune to Coorg (My Eden); Coorg to Pune in a Gypsy - Travelogue Twinn Travelogues 19 2nd December 2017 02:40
Planning a Christmas trip around Ooty / Coorg phamilyman Route / Travel Queries 29 27th December 2013 01:04
Help in Planning Coorg & Chikmagalur srikanthpotluri Route / Travel Queries 6 16th April 2010 18:19
Planning a trip to Khajuraho EDIT: Now with trip log ntomer Travelogues 4 9th January 2008 17:53


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:10.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks