Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2016, 14:27   #1966
BHPian
 
Sree73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 588
Thanked: 662 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai: Route updates & Eateries

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Anyone been to the (New) Mysore Cafe on the Bangalore-Pune highway after Chitradurga town (near Nijalingappa memorial) ? Apprently another branch of the hotel near the Chitradurga Fort.

Is this a good option for breakfast or would Apoorva Resorts in Davanagere be better for a 4-5am start ?
I had been to Apoorva Resorts couple of times during my Bangalore - Mumbai trips. This is a good option for breakfast as you reach in ~4 hours from Bangalore. Apoorva is also on the left side of the high way and easily accessible with a good parking space.

I have not been to the Mysore Cafe and hence will not be able to comment.
Sree73 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2016, 23:38   #1967
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 205
Thanked: 116 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai: Route updates & Eateries

I am planning a trip to Sangli from Bangalore in November. The plan is to start at 5pm from Bangalore, drive to Hubli and stay overnight. Next morning, we will be going to Kolhapur and stay at Sayaji hotel and visit a few places (Panhala fort etc) From here we will go to Sangli.

Can anyone suggest some good hotels to stay overnight?
rohanak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2016, 12:27   #1968
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Bombay/Belgaum
Posts: 245
Thanked: 445 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai: Route updates & Eateries

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanak1 View Post
I am planning a trip to Sangli from Bangalore in November. The plan is to start at 5pm from Bangalore, drive to Hubli and stay overnight. Next morning, we will be going to Kolhapur and stay at Sayaji hotel and visit a few places (Panhala fort etc) From here we will go to Sangli.

Can anyone suggest some good hotels to stay overnight?
You have plethora of good options for an overnight stay in Hubli. I am listing out just two of them in the order which they appear, after you exit NH4 and run into the city. To reach either of these hotels easily, continue on NH4 Hubli--Dharwad bypass beyond the first toll and take the left exit marked for "Hubli Airport". You will pass through an underpass and then get onto a 6 lane road running towards the city. This is "Gokul road" and after a few kms, both of these hotels would fall on your right side.
1.Hotel Denissons - a bit inside main road, but easily visible
2.Hotel Clarks Inn

Once you are done with the trip, please let us know the condition of highway from Kolhapur to Sangli. It is being widened to 4 lanes past few years and was 60% completed by April or so. While travelling on NH4 one can see this new 4 lane road going towards Sangli from Shiroli,Kolhapur.
vivek95 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2016, 15:03   #1969
BHPian
 
hrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 875
Thanked: 296 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai: Route updates & Eateries

I am planning to drive from Bangalore-Mumbai- Bangalore this Dassera holiday

Can some of the latest travellers guide me on what will be the total cost of the toll on this stretch?
My starting point is Bannerghata Road, Bangalore and destination is Dahisar,Mumbai.
I remember paying some Rs.1200 both ways about 6 years ago. I have done this stretch twice in 2010 and 2011 and at that time, most of the railway overhead flyovers around chitradurga, davangere etc were still being constructed. I guess most of this is completed now.

Last edited by hrman : 10th September 2016 at 15:05.
hrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2016, 23:00   #1970
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 205
Thanked: 116 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai: Route updates & Eateries

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
This is "Gokul road" and after a few kms, both of these hotels would fall on your right side.
1.Hotel Denissons - a bit inside main road, but easily visible
2.Hotel Clarks Inn
I like Hotel Clarks Inn. Will plan to stay here. If I start at 5pm (can't start any earlier) from near Yeswantpur, I should reach here in 6 hours? Is the highway 6-lane all throughout? I will take one dinner break. I was also thinking if Davangere is a better option for the overnight halt or Hubli?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
Once you are done with the trip, please let us know the condition of highway from Kolhapur to Sangli.
I will definitely let you know the highway condition.
rohanak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2016, 00:15   #1971
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Bombay/Belgaum
Posts: 245
Thanked: 445 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai: Route updates & Eateries

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanak1 View Post
If I start at 5pm (can't start any earlier) from near Yeswantpur, I should reach here in 6 hours? Is the highway 6-lane all throughout? I will take one dinner break. I was also thinking if Davangere is a better option for the overnight halt or Hubli?
Yes, that's possible. But for an evening 5pm start, budget 30 mins extra. With a driving speed of 90-110kmph and clocking an average of 75kmph, you can easily do Bangalore--Hubli non stop in 5.5 hours. Add another hour for dinner and miscellaneous pit stops, that's a total of 6.5 hours.

I would say Hubli is an ideal stop for break journey whether you are heading next day to Kolhapur,Pune or even Mumbai. You may start any time from Hubli next day, Kolhapur is an easy 2.5 to 3 hour affair.

Davangere I believe works best if you start from Bangalore post 7pm.

Till Nelamangala, the highway is 6 lane ;
Nelamangala--Tumkur is 4 lane ;
Tumkur--Chitradurga is 6 lane ;
Chitradurga -- Hubli is 4 lane ;
Hubli -- Dharwad bypass is a 30 km two laner ;
Dharwad -- Belgaum is 6 lane ;
Belgaum -- Kolhapur is 4 lane ( 6 lane in two petty ghat sections in between )

Last edited by vivek95 : 11th September 2016 at 00:18. Reason: Additional point
vivek95 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2016, 10:56   #1972
RCD
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 29
Thanked: 15 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai: Route updates & Eateries

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
I am planning to drive from Bangalore-Mumbai- Bangalore this Dassera holiday

Can some of the latest travellers guide me on what will be the total cost of the toll on this stretch?
My starting point is Bannerghata Road, Bangalore and destination is Dahisar,Mumbai.
I remember paying some Rs.1200 both ways about 6 years ago. I have done this stretch twice in 2010 and 2011 and at that time, most of the railway overhead flyovers around chitradurga, davangere etc were still being constructed. I guess most of this is completed now.
I have driven to Mumbai and Nasik twice in the last few months. Unfortunately never ever get down to totalling the toll bills, but I typically have about ₹ 2000/- that I keep outside to take care of tolls, tea and food stops along the way ( I don't stop overnight ) .

I prefer to set out from Bangalore around 9-10 pm as I stay in the Bangalore East and reach Pune by early morning, stop for breakfast and then complete the journey well before lunch time.
RCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2016, 16:46   #1973
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 205
Thanked: 116 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai: Route updates & Eateries

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
Yes, that's possible. But for an evening 5pm start, budget 30 mins extra.
Thanks a lot vivek95 for helping out. I will budget 30 mins over this, since I am an overcautious driver at night I would be travelling on Friday just before the Dasara weekend, so I also might encounter extra traffic on toll booths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
I would say Hubli is an ideal stop for break journey whether you are heading next day to Kolhapur,Pune or even Mumbai. You may start any time from Hubli next day, Kolhapur is an easy 2.5 to 3 hour affair.
I will stay in Hubli and start next day post-breakfast.


Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
Till Nelamangala, the highway is 6 lane ;
Nelamangala--Tumkur is 4 lane ;
Tumkur--Chitradurga is 6 lane ;
Chitradurga -- Hubli is 4 lane ;
Hubli -- Dharwad bypass is a 30 km two laner ;
Dharwad -- Belgaum is 6 lane ;
Belgaum -- Kolhapur is 4 lane ( 6 lane in two petty ghat sections in between )
Have done this route only till the turnoff towards Mangalore. Pretty excited to do the remaining stretch
Wonder why the Hubli-Dharwad bypass is 2-lane!!!

In Kolhapur, I plan to stay at Sayaji hotel and visit the famous Mahalaxmi temple, RankaLa lake and PanhaLa fort. Can anyone suggest nice restaurants for local food? I am not particular about ambience as long as food is good. I was thinking of Dehati and OpaL.
rohanak1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2016, 13:09   #1974
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Bombay/Belgaum
Posts: 245
Thanked: 445 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai: Route updates & Eateries

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanak1 View Post



Have done this route only till the turnoff towards Mangalore. Pretty excited to do the remaining stretch
Wonder why the Hubli-Dharwad bypass is 2-lane!!!
Enjoy and have a safe drive You will love NH4, some of the sectors like Tumkur--Chitradurga, Dharwad--Belgaum and Belgaum--Kolhapur are simply top class. Belgaum--Kolhapur is my all time favourite. I like the NH4 in Maharashtra too as much as in Karnataka ( despite of all the heavy traffic and choas ) mainly for its scenic beauty and ghats.

Hubli-Dharwad 2 lane bypass was built way before the Golden quadrilateral sometime in 1999 or so. After that, once the entire NH4 was converted into 4/6 lanes the H-D bypass ran into never ending land acquisition issues. There was a recent talk by Honorouable minister Gadkari to convert it into 6 lanes too, but doesn't look like it will happen soon. The toll is the costliest on the entire NH4 as they charge 55 bucks for this 30 km two-laner ( well maintained, good surface but not worth 55 ). On the other hand, you will realise that Belgaum--KA-MH border ( 77.3 kms) 4 laner built by the reputed Punj Lloyd company has the lowest toll amounts on NH4 despite of the top notch quality of highway. This stretch of highway is truly world class and has never ever seen any bumpy or pothole days ever since its inception in the last 12 years. Outstanding maintenance ! No speedbreakers on this superfast stretch and you will be bowled over by the scientific placement of rumblers.

If this is your first time on NH4,please go through the very first post on this thread. There is a superb information on fuel stations, eateries and speedbreaker locations compiled by @paragsachania. It will be very handy for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanak1 View Post
In Kolhapur, I plan to stay at Sayaji hotel and visit the famous Mahalaxmi temple, RankaLa lake and PanhaLa fort. Can anyone suggest nice restaurants for local food? I am not particular about ambience as long as food is good. I was thinking of Dehati and OpaL.
In the vicinity of Sayaji, you have Opal,Dehaati ( already mentioned by you) Tandoor and Parakh. Hotel Padma at Tarabai Park is another very famous hotel for Kolhapuri style non veg food. I would suggest you to leave your car behind at hotel and take an auto for Mahalaxmi temple. Right from 1st day i .e ''Ghatastaphana'' which is on October 1st, the temple will be crowded till next 11 days till Dasara festival. In all probabilities you will find a parking space far away from the temple.

Rajabhau bhel on Mahadwar road outside Temple is a must visit for Bhel !

Last edited by vivek95 : 13th September 2016 at 13:11. Reason: spell check
vivek95 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2016, 13:18   #1975
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 9,253 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai: Route updates & Eateries

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
The toll is the costliest on the entire NH4 as they charge 55 bucks for this 30 km two-laner ( well maintained, good surface but not worth 55 ).
Vivek, you will be surprised to note that the toll is now revised to 61/- and when I asked the attendant casually he said "soon we will make it 4 lane" .
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2016, 20:54   #1976
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 205
Thanked: 116 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai: Route updates & Eateries

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
Enjoy and have a safe drive
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
The toll is the costliest on the entire NH4 as they charge 55 bucks for this 30 km two-laner ( well maintained, good surface but not worth 55 ).
Why even charge a toll for a 2-laner? Isn't that something very basic to be provided out of the taxes we pay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
If this is your first time on NH4,please go through the very first post on this thread. There is a superb information on fuel stations, eateries and speedbreaker locations compiled by @paragsachania. It will be very handy for you.
This is indeed brilliant Thank you so much @paragsachania. Just goes to show how well you know this route. I will struggle to even come up with this for Bangalore roads


Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
In the vicinity of Sayaji, you have Opal,Dehaati ( already mentioned by you) Tandoor and Parakh. Hotel Padma at Tarabai Park is another very famous hotel for Kolhapuri style non veg food. the temple.

Rajabhau bhel on Mahadwar road outside Temple is a must visit for Bhel !
These are all now on the must visit list

Last edited by ampere : 27th September 2016 at 10:27. Reason: Reduced Smilies to 2
rohanak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2016, 21:11   #1977
BHPian
 
silverado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mumbai-Pune
Posts: 947
Thanked: 559 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai: Route updates & Eateries

I drove from Pune to Kolhapur and back last week, and the diversions till Satara are a big headache.( Going towards Kolhapur ).Road conditions near these diversions are rough, so one has to go really slow.

While coming back, road integration ie fusion of new and old road is not smooth at many places due to which one is subjected to sharp dips and bumps at high speeds.( Since they come without any warning, unless you have a vehicle ahead for reference ).
silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2016, 10:19   #1978
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 4,291 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai: Route updates & Eateries

Road condition Update from recent Bangalore-Mahabaleshwar trip:
  • NH4 is superb mostly with best sections being Bangalore-Hubli and Dharwad-Belgaum
  • Hubli-Dharwad road condition is good, but 2 lane and can be painful if you get stuck behind a convoy of slow moving trucks
  • Nearing Satara, watch out for those joints near the bridges, can get you by surprise and give you a rocky bump since they're not integrated well! From Satara, it is quite painful as there are incomplete bridges and you need to be on the service road which has speed breakers as well and is rough at several places
  • We took the turn off towards Wai from Panchwad and the road was quite good all the way to Wai town. Inside Wai, there is unfinished road widening work with gravel on the widened sections waiting for asphalt
  • Wai-Panchgani is quite decent but gets rough when nearing Mahabaleshwar, but short patches are extremely good as well, so a mixed bag around this area
  • Roads near Old Mahabaleshwar are the worst, lots of potholes and rough sections. Ironically, this is also the place where vehicles pay the "Pollution Tax" imposed by local municipal authorities
  • On the return leg, a first timer will really get confused at Ranebennur. You see the left 2 lanes diverging to the left and the oncoming 2 lanes on the far right. And now you head straight into a busy area that is a part of the Ranebennur town, leaving you wondering if you lost your way. This is because the lanes in the Pune-Bangalore direction merge in to the old highway whereas in the other direction (Bangalore-Pune) they bypass the town.

Breaks on onward journey:
-Breakfast at Kamat Upachar, Ranebennur (inside Reliance petrol bunk campus)
-Coffee break at CCD, Dharwad bypass & refuel at HP bunk next door
-Lunch at Sai International, Kolhapur bypass

Breaks on return journey:
-Mini Refuel at Indian Oil, Satara
-Refuel at Indian Oil, Belgaum bypass (Halbhavi P B Road)
-Brunch at Sankam, Belgaum

Last edited by NPV : 27th September 2016 at 10:37.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2016, 10:31   #1979
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,350
Thanked: 8,167 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai: Route updates & Eateries

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
On the return leg, a first timer will really get confused at Ranebennur. You see the left 2 lanes diverging to the left and the oncoming 2 lanes on the far right. And now you head straight into a busy area that is a part of the Ranebennur town, leaving you wondering if you lost your way. This is because the lanes in the Pune-Bangalore direction merge in to the old highway whereas in the other direction (Bangalore-Pune) they bypass the town.
I think you are refering to Harihar and not Ranebennur.(?) Can you confirm? Its the same town, where you cross TungaBhadra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
While going from Bangalore, you will notice that about 5-10Km before you reach the Reliance bunk at Ranebennur (that has the Kamat Upachar), the lanes diverge to left and you don't see the oncoming lanes for the reverse direction (those lanes are part of the old highway that is inside the town).
Thats Harihar and not Ranebennur. Ranebennur I think is further up after Kamat. The one you are referring I think is Harihar town, where the highway towards Bangalore goes into the town.

This I think is the section are you referring to ? Route Link

Last edited by ampere : 27th September 2016 at 10:51.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2016, 10:42   #1980
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 4,291 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai: Route updates & Eateries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think you are refering to Harihar and not Ranebennur.(?) Can you confirm? Its the same town, where you cross TungaBhadra.
It's Ranebennur - it has the Mahyco, Grasim Industries factories, etc

While going from Bangalore, you will notice that about 5-10Km before you reach the Reliance bunk at Ranebennur (that has the Kamat Upachar), the lanes diverge to left and you don't see the oncoming lanes for the reverse direction (those lanes are part of the old highway that is inside the town).
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Noteworthy Highway Eateries on NH7 - NH47 (Bangalore-Salem-Thrissur) ranjitp1 Route / Travel Queries 7 10th May 2016 19:59
Food joints / Eateries on Indian Highways dilips Route / Travel Queries 34 29th December 2015 08:46
Highway Eateries : Depleting rapidly in number and quality anujmishra Street Experiences 38 7th October 2012 22:34
Delhi to Amritsar Road conditions and Eateries smooth Route / Travel Queries 3 24th July 2012 11:07
Cochin-Salem(GQ)-Pune-Vapi trip today. Road condition updates please... Sunney Route / Travel Queries 2 25th August 2011 09:17


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:29.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks