Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 21st August 2017, 11:27   #2146
BHPian

Default Re: Bangalore - Pune - Mumbai: Route updates & Eateries

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanak1 View Post
NHAI website claims completion in Dec. 2017 which clearly looks like not going to happen. Just check the original planned completion date as against the expected date Just goes to show the painful speed at which road projects are happening in India.
In all probabilities, the Pune--Satara section would get completed by around next year July--August. I would be more than happy if I am proven wrong. Shirwal to Pune section is the one where most of the work is yet pending. The only upside is road conditions including the diversions remain very good. At present it takes 1 hour 15 mins from Satara to Katraj new tunnel, Pune during typical day time MH traffic. This would get reduced by another 20 mins once the entire stretch is fully ready with 6 lanes + 4 service lanes.

My streak of driving solo on Belgaum--Mumbai--Belgaum sector continues. About 10 days back I started from Belgaum by 3.15 pm and reached Panvel, Mumbai at 9.35 pm, it was a nonstop drive except for a 15 mins fuel + bio break. Took another 1 hour to get inside Mumbai. Absolutely good roads all the way as reported earlier too in my previous posts.
vivek95 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2017, 12:24   #2147
BHPian

Doing Bangalore Mumbai next week. Due to kids school I am unable to start in the golden hours(04:00 AM). Is 12:00 PM afternoon a good start?
vijaymishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2017, 12:48   #2148
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaymishra View Post
Doing Bangalore Mumbai next week. Due to kids school I am unable to start in the golden hours(04:00 AM). Is 12:00 PM afternoon a good start?
With a noon start on a weekday, getting out of Bangalore may not be so bad depending on where you stay and how soon you can get to Tumkur road (once you cross Peenya, Dasarahalli, traffic should be lower).

You can also plan to break your journey overnight at Hubli or Belgaum and resume your journey early on Day 2. Or even Kolhapur could be an option.

Last edited by NPV : 14th September 2017 at 12:50.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2017, 19:00   #2149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
With a noon start on a weekday, getting out of Bangalore may not be so bad depending on where you stay and how soon you can get to Tumkur road (once you cross Peenya, Dasarahalli, traffic should be lower).

You can also plan to break your journey overnight at Hubli or Belgaum and resume your journey early on Day 2. Or even Kolhapur could be an option.
Thanks NPV, I am planning to do non-stop, was concerned on the Maharashtra traffic since I will be entering Kolhapur around 08:00 pm.
Old 14th September 2017, 19:11   #2150
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaymishra View Post
Thanks NPV, I am planning to do non-stop, was concerned on the Maharashtra traffic since I will be entering Kolhapur around 08:00 pm.
I have started from Bangalore on a number of occasions post noon and on a weekday, like NPV mentions, it will be bliss all the way with sparse traffic to navigate out of Bangalore and while passing bypasses of other towns you get en-route.

A 1PM start should easily take you to Kolhapur by 9/10PM Max. Next morning if you start at 6, you will still be good but remember that you will hit Pune by 0830/0900 when the Pune bypass will have thick weekday traffic.

Beyond Pune, the expressway will be a cakewalk and so will be entry to Vashi (Thane or Mumbai) as you will reach here after 11 am.

If you start at 5AM, you might be in trouble, especially when you enter Vashi during peak hours and hence 6AM start from Kolhapur will be perfect.

Your concerns regarding MH Traffic:

If you are halting at Kolhapur, you should not worry about this

If you are planning to continue driving to Mumbai, I would like to add few more bits from my usual experiences:

- Lesser traffic from Kolhapur to Mumbai during nights

- Private and ST bus traffic will get thicker as you start driving beyond 10PM anywhere on Kolhapur - Mumbai sector. This means the tolls queues will have them and you will have to bear with their ruffian antics for 350 kms from Kolhapur after driving peacefully for the earlier 650 kms.

- There will be options to stop for breaks - Be that food or 24X7 fuel stations all over MH and frequently

- You may have to exercise caution, especially when stopping at unknown locations anywhere (at nights only)- Satara, Khambhatki Ghats, Katraj Ghat, Pune Bypass and the expressway because of regular instances we have heard on mugging. However, this route is safe in general.

Last edited by paragsachania : 14th September 2017 at 19:12.
paragsachania is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2017, 10:08   #2151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

- You may have to exercise caution, especially when stopping at unknown locations anywhere (at nights only)- Satara, Khambhatki Ghats, Katraj Ghat, Pune Bypass and the expressway because of regular instances we have heard on mugging. However, this route is safe in general.
Thanks for your valuable feedback Parag! I am planning to do this non-stop hopefully reach Kalyan by 02:00 AM. thanks for the caution, my usual stop use to be Kailash Bhel at Khed Shivapur. Knowing it will be closed at the time I will pass by, I am not willing to stop at any other locations due to the incidents you mentioned. Thanks again.