Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2009, 15:52   #271
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Karnal
Posts: 264
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Dear Kumar,

I've been thinking about that 12.5 hours from Bangalore to Bombay figure and have taken quite a liking to it. It is the optimum time in my estimation. Having done Kolhapur-Mumbai in 4.5 hours and Bangalore to Kolhapur in 9 hours in April this year when I was not able to go as fast as I would like owing to my wife's pregnancy, I think I could bring down the time from 9 to 8 hours easily. Adding up the two figures, it comes exactly to what you said. That is, 12.5 hours flat from Bangalore to Mumbai. Thanks for setting a good benchmark
Akadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 11:46   #272
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 336
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish123 View Post
Well you were absolutely right. thanks for your wonderful suggestion of going via NICE Road. It worked for me. I left at 1:00PM from Koramangala, reached banerghatta NICE road entry at 1:30pm, touched NH4 at 2:00pm and was at Tumkur at 2:50pm. I did save atleast 30 mins by going via NICE Road (and of course the harrasement of Yeshwantpur-Neelamangala road)
NICE road seems pretty good option. During my drive back from Pune,stopped at Tumkur Cafe Coffee Day, left that place by 6:45 PM. Drove through NH4 took the ramp to NICE road, reached L&T Southcity apartment complex by 8:15. The toll is a bit steep though, at 63 Rs, is the steepest toll I paid for the entire trip.

Nainar
anainar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2009, 09:22   #273
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 28
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurrycane12 View Post
Manish: Good to know it worked well; lucky you did not get stuck in any traffic at Banerghatta road. I guess you will be in Bombay by 3-4 PM.

Happy Ganesh Chaturthi; wish I could make it to Bombay for the festival too.
Belgaum to Mumbai, the road is fantastic, you can easily maintain an average speed of 100kmph. We left Belgaum at 9:20am & reached Pune by 1:30pm (with a 15 min break). Reached mumbai-Sion at about 5pm, since we stopped over for an elongated lunch at the pune-mumbai freeway. A caution though in the first tunnel. I was cruising in the tunnel pretty comfortably and the moment, the tunnel got over, there was this steep turn in which you won't be comfortable beyond 50-60kmph. I am not sure if I missed any signs of slowing down, but if its not put, then one should be careful
Quote:
Originally Posted by anainar View Post
NICE road seems pretty good option. During my drive back from Pune,stopped at Tumkur Cafe Coffee Day, left that place by 6:45 PM. Drove through NH4 took the ramp to NICE road, reached L&T Southcity apartment complex by 8:15. The toll is a bit steep though, at 63 Rs, is the steepest toll I paid for the entire trip.

Nainar
Toll is indeed pretty high. But considering that this will be either at the start or at the end of one's journey, people would prefer to start and end comfortably. On the other note, even the total toll from Bangalore to Mumbai comes around Rs 700 (including NICE road). I guess this is quite expensive considering that around 200kms of the strech is in absolute mess.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 1st September 2009 at 09:56.
manish123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2009, 10:06   #274
Senior - BHPian
 
prince_pervez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Redwood shores, CA, USA
Posts: 4,205
Thanked: 29 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish123 View Post
On the other note, even the total toll from Bangalore to Mumbai comes around Rs 700 (including NICE road).
Oops INR 491 was the last time I travelled from BLR to Pune.
Till Mumbai add at the most 100 bucks.

There are some toll booths where you have to show the previous receipt only. They let you pass. I too got ripped the first time, until Marathi speaking came to the rescue in MH and of course HV Kumar sir guided me on this.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2009, 14:41   #275
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 28
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Oops INR 491 was the last time I travelled from BLR to Pune.
Till Mumbai add at the most 100 bucks.

There are some toll booths where you have to show the previous receipt only. They let you pass. I too got ripped the first time, until Marathi speaking came to the rescue in MH and of course HV Kumar sir guided me on this.
If I remember correctly, only at 2 places, they let me pass looking at my receipt. At other places, I had to pay. Not sure, how many times I got ripped off.
From Pune to Mumbai, the toll is around Rs 200 (I don't remember the exact amount), but they charge twice
manish123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2009, 16:01   #276
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 4,006
Thanked: 9,434 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish123 View Post
If I remember correctly, only at 2 places, they let me pass looking at my receipt. At other places, I had to pay. Not sure, how many times I got ripped off.
From Pune to Mumbai, the toll is around Rs 200 (I don't remember the exact amount), but they charge twice
From Mumbai - Pune you pay only once at the toll and show the receipt at the exit of the expressway and it is definitely not 200INR and is 140INR as far as I can remember.

Have you paid anywhere else? Viz., exit from Mumbai suburb's toll nakas, Vashi Bridge etx?(which is expected anyways)
paragsachania is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2009, 16:16   #277
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 336
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

This is what I could gather -- from Pune...

Shivpur - 45 ( first toll gate after leaving Pune )
748.600 - 25
Taswade - 46
Kini - 46
Kognoli - 25
Hattagari- 30
Bagewadi- 30
Bankapur - 40
Hubli-Dharwad bypass - 31
guilalu - 35
KJHallli - 40
Tumkur - 23
NICE Rd -63

All added up comes to Rs.479. This includes NICE Toll also. If you take that away it should be 416. If you take the Dobbspet route, you can remove another 10 Rs. One of the toll roads, IRB toll gate of Khambatki ghat section is toll free now with the plazas having been removed. Per my discussion with one of the NHAI official who took a ride with me, the toll by NHAI is roughly in the range of 60 paise per kilometer for a passenger car.

I dont think you can get ripped. At Taswade you have an option to pay toll for Kini plaza also( and vice versa ), as they both are owned by Konark. In case they charged you at both the places, then it is possible your tolls got jacked up by 92 Rs. Or they charged you under different category of vehicle What was your ride?

Nainar
anainar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 11:07   #278
JVH
Senior - BHPian
 
JVH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,021
Thanked: 148 Times
Default

Last weekend, I drove from Bangalore to Belgaum.

The bad roads which were tolerable have become worse. Specially from the stretch between Chitradurga to Ranebennur. I literally thought my GTX's suspension would fail me. I only picked up speed just 60 kms before Hubli. Before that one has to concentrate all the time for the horrible diversions and the big pile up of potholes.

I don't think this is going to improve any sooner. Piece meal approach with poor workmanship will prevail.
JVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 11:12   #279
Senior - BHPian
 
prince_pervez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Redwood shores, CA, USA
Posts: 4,205
Thanked: 29 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Last weekend, I drove from Bangalore to Belgaum.

The bad roads which were tolerable have become worse. Specially from the stretch between Chitradurga to Ranebennur.
Thats some seriously bad news man. To think of it, I was getting mentally prepared for this journey on the last week of this month. Guess I'll have to hire an army tank for Chit - Ranebennur.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 11:19   #280
JVH
Senior - BHPian
 
JVH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,021
Thanked: 148 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Thats some seriously bad news man. To think of it, I was getting mentally prepared for this journey on the last week of this month. Guess I'll have to hire an army tank for Chit - Ranebennur.
The rains didn't help either specially in the diversions. If you recall, red mud and some stones are used wherever there is a diversion. This has gone for a toss because of the rains and you see red water everywhere. Your car will get painted with beautiful colours for sure

I saw lot of cars stranded just before or after the diversions. Yup, army tank is a better bet for the trip.
JVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 11:39   #281
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 11
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
The rains didn't help either specially in the diversions. If you recall, red mud and some stones are used wherever there is a diversion. This has gone for a toss because of the rains and you see red water everywhere. Your car will get painted with beautiful colours for sure

I saw lot of cars stranded just before or after the diversions. Yup, army tank is a better bet for the trip.
Has anyone done the Bangalore to Pune trip by road since JVH's trip earlier this Sept? Is the trip I plan (details below) doable? Any updates on the Chitradurga - Haveri stretch road conditions? From my map it looks like a 125km stretch?

I plan to do the Bangalore to Pune trip on 18th Sept. The plan is to start at about 4AM from Ramamurthy Nagar (near Banaswadi). My destination in Pune is Aundh Road, Khadki. If I do the trip between 12 to 14 hours I will consider my mission complete. I have to make allowance for at least 2 stops of not more than 1 hour each.

I will be driving a Qualis. For most part I will be the driver though my wife does some short spells.

I recently drove upto Nelamangala and so am pretty familiar with the construction activity on NH4 from Peenya onwards. In fact, I plan to take the Bangalore outer ring road past Hebbal upto BEL circle, turn right towards Jalahalli, take the road to Dasarahalli and enter NH4 at the Dasarahalli junction. The reason is that between BEL and Yeswanthpur, on the Outer Ring Road there is a level crossing that can delay you a good 15-20 minutes if closed.
abtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 18:02   #282
BHPian
 
viveklk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 34
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Last weekend, I drove from Bangalore to Belgaum.

The bad roads which were tolerable have become worse. Specially from the stretch between Chitradurga to Ranebennur. I literally thought my GTX's suspension would fail me. I only picked up speed just 60 kms before Hubli. Before that one has to concentrate all the time for the horrible diversions and the big pile up of potholes.

I don't think this is going to improve any sooner. Piece meal approach with poor workmanship will prevail.

Oh man, I'm going to do Bangalore-Belgaum next week, this sounds really bad. Looks like rain has screwed this stretch further. I'll get my SX4 checked before starting...


Thanks for sharing the info.
viveklk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 19:13   #283
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,891
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abtom View Post
Has anyone done the Bangalore to Pune trip by road since JVH's trip earlier this Sept? Is the trip I plan (details below) doable? Any updates on the Chitradurga - Haveri stretch road conditions? From my map it looks like a 125km stretch?

I plan to do the Bangalore to Pune trip on 18th Sept. The plan is to start at about 4AM from Ramamurthy Nagar (near Banaswadi). My destination in Pune is Aundh Road, Khadki. If I do the trip between 12 to 14 hours I will consider my mission complete. I have to make allowance for at least 2 stops of not more than 1 hour each.

I will be driving a Qualis. For most part I will be the driver though my wife does some short spells.

I recently drove upto Nelamangala and so am pretty familiar with the construction activity on NH4 from Peenya onwards. In fact, I plan to take the Bangalore outer ring road past Hebbal upto BEL circle, turn right towards Jalahalli, take the road to Dasarahalli and enter NH4 at the Dasarahalli junction. The reason is that between BEL and Yeswanthpur, on the Outer Ring Road there is a level crossing that can delay you a good 15-20 minutes if closed.
The critical stretches are as below

1. Ramamurthy nagar to Nelamangala (some 35-40 KMs) This might take some where 60 minutes depending on the traffic and road conditions
morning 4 AM it should clear stretch.

2. Nelamangala to Chitradurga : you can do this stretch in 3 hours if your drive well.

3. Chitradurga - Harihar-Davangere - Ranebennur - Haveri : this stretch is said to be in bad condition, some time back Lukeskywalker told me that some of his friends travelled this stretch yesterday and the feedback is very bad. This stretch can take you 4 hours-5 hours easily

4. Haveri-Hubli-Dharwad-Belgaon : this stretch seems to be ok, This stretch can be done in 3.5 hours.

5. Belgaum to Pune (sinhaghad road bypass) is 4 hours, roads are generally very good. Khadki would be another 45 minutes in city traffic.

So total it should take you 15-16 hours including breaks etc.
if you leave at 4 AM, you can reach for dinner 7 or 7.30 PM.

drive safe.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 16th September 2009 at 19:15.
StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 21:48   #284
JVH
Senior - BHPian
 
JVH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,021
Thanked: 148 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by viveklk View Post
Oh man, I'm going to do Bangalore-Belgaum next week, this sounds really bad. Looks like rain has screwed this stretch further. I'll get my SX4 checked before starting...


Thanks for sharing the info.
I'm doing another trip this weekend. Will post the experience by early next week.

If you do happen to make the trip sooner, Statvegabond has his observations spot on and you can rely on it except that I would not call Chitradurga - Haveri stretch bad but horrible and pathetic.

Last edited by JVH : 16th September 2009 at 21:49.
JVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 21:53   #285
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: bangalore
Posts: 181
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
The critical stretches are as below

1. Ramamurthy nagar to Nelamangala (some 35-40 KMs) This might take some where 60 minutes depending on the traffic and road conditions
morning 4 AM it should clear stretch.

2. Nelamangala to Chitradurga : you can do this stretch in 3 hours if your drive well.

3. Chitradurga - Harihar-Davangere - Ranebennur - Haveri : this stretch is said to be in bad condition, some time back Lukeskywalker told me that some of his friends travelled this stretch yesterday and the feedback is very bad. This stretch can take you 4 hours-5 hours easily

4. Haveri-Hubli-Dharwad-Belgaon : this stretch seems to be ok, This stretch can be done in 3.5 hours.

5. Belgaum to Pune (sinhaghad road bypass) is 4 hours, roads are generally very good. Khadki would be another 45 minutes in city traffic.

So total it should take you 15-16 hours including breaks etc.
if you leave at 4 AM, you can reach for dinner 7 or 7.30 PM.

drive safe.
I would like to differ on some of these timing figures, as per my opinion.
(1) Haveri to Belgaum i did in 2 hours at night time. I dont think even for very average speed driving it would take more than 2.5 hours.

(2) Neelmangala to Chitradurga stretch can be very easily done in 3 hours. Without any high speed driving.

(3) I did Chitradurga to Haveri in 2.5 hours, during night time, with rain most of the time.
I believe it can be comfortably done in 3 to 3.5 hours.

Last edited by pkumar : 16th September 2009 at 22:10.
pkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Highway Eateries : Depleting rapidly in number and quality anujmishra Street Experiences 41 17th September 2017 22:26
Noteworthy Highway Eateries on NH7 - NH47 (Bangalore-Salem-Thrissur) ranjitp1 Route / Travel Queries 7 10th May 2016 19:59
Food joints / Eateries on Indian Highways dilips Route / Travel Queries 34 29th December 2015 08:46
Delhi to Amritsar Road conditions and Eateries smooth Route / Travel Queries 3 24th July 2012 11:07
Cochin-Salem(GQ)-Pune-Vapi trip today. Road condition updates please... Sunney Route / Travel Queries 2 25th August 2011 09:17


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:57.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks