Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street and Travel Experiences > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2010, 22:27   #406
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 1
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Pune - Bangalore-Mysore

I traveled b/w Pune- Bangalore- Mysore during Christmas break. I lost an hour at the first toll gate on NH-4. The time taken to pay the toll at subsequent toll gates was no better.The roads were smooth and the traffic thinned out after Kolhapur. I guess the crowd was heading to Goa.

I did a break of journey at Hubli and stayed the night. We started the next day morning and encountered about 170 Km of bad roads after Davangere at Rannebennur. This stretch does not allow you to do more than 40 Km an hour as both side traffic is diverted to one lane.

Also, there are hardly any decent eat outs until to close in on Tumkur. The "Kamat Upchar griha" joints on NH-4 are good for a quick stopover. It is better to carry some packed sandwiches for those who are traveling with family on this stretch. Most pertrol pumps until you cross Chitrdurga are small and don't have clean toilets.

Once you reach Nilamangala, you can take the Bypass to hit the SH to Mysore. The roads are good until Mysore, where we reached by evening.

On my return, I took the diversion to Tumkur from Maddur on Bangalore-Mysore Road. The road was okay but a lot of speed breakers do not allow you to keep your speed. I reched Tumkur in 2.5 Hrs from where I entered NH-4.

I think taking the bypass at Nilamangala is better. On our return, "Hotel Naveen Regency" on NH-4 at Chitradurga is good to stop for lunch. Similarly, if you depart from Hubli in the morning, you could take you kids to Mc Donalds at Kolhapur.
Golden Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10th January 2010, 10:39   #407
Distinguished - BHPian
 
paragsachania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 1,716
Thanked: 2,895 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Chariot View Post
The roads were smooth and the traffic thinned out after Kolhapur. I guess the crowd was heading to Goa.
This is normal even on a regular basis. Traffic always lessens after Kolhapur and increases on the other direction. Of course, the longer weekend would've meant more of this regularly thick traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Chariot View Post
We started the next day morning and encountered about 170 Km of bad roads after Davangere at Rannebennur. This stretch does not allow you to do more than 40 Km an hour as both side traffic is diverted to one lane.
The Bad stretch starts right after the Bankapur Toll at the entry of Haveri town and continues all the way till Chitradurga. This is about 120 Kms and the only bad pathes are at the 2 Railway crossings, Ranibennur Town and after Harihar before DVG. Under normal traffic, one can easily maintain 60-80kmph on this undone stretch occasionally slowing down at the diversions as well as these bad patches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Chariot View Post
Also, there are hardly any decent eat outs until to close in on Tumkur.
Very true and there is hardly any choice. Ghar and Genysis (Before DVG) are good options for lunch while Kamat (Sira and Tumkur) can be good for evening tea/snacks. Things are much better in case one is passing Kolhapur to Pune/Mumbai at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Chariot View Post
Once you reach Nilamangala, you can take the Bypass to hit the SH to Mysore. The roads are good until Mysore, where we reached by evening.
I think you are referring to NICE road when you say bypass? Correct me if I am wrong here.

When I recently did Pune Bangalore on 8th I was reached Nelemangala at 4-45am but I could see lot of traffic taking the road leading into Nelemangala town. I followed them (especially those NWKRTC buses) and realised it was a good decision. The road continues through the town and exits and joins NH4 back again at the Commercial tax check post where there was a huge jam caused by a beeline of trucks wanting to park and for the CT formalities.

I saved almost 45 minutes by taking the route through Nelemangala town. For anyone reaching Bangalore on this side around this time of the morning, This is the best option to save a lot of time. Of course, the Dobspet - Doddaballapur route at the wee hours is not safe considering very less traffic during this time.
paragsachania is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 11:53   #408
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: bangalore
Posts: 182
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Of course, the Dobspet - Doddaballapur route at the wee hours is not safe considering very less traffic during this time.
Did you or anybody you know faced problems here?
I also found the traffic on this stretch very less. But i do not believe this road is unsafe at all. Apart from the scary(hallucination) feeling one gets because of narrow road, less traffic and lots of trees on both the sides.

Last edited by pkumar : 11th January 2010 at 11:55.
pkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 12:24   #409
Senior - BHPian
 
prince_pervez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Redwood shores, CA, USA
Posts: 4,198
Thanked: 26 Times
Default

Did anyone find problems travelling due MNS protesters near Kolhapur last week ?
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 12:34   #410
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,891
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Of course, the Dobspet - Doddaballapur route at the wee hours is not safe considering very less traffic during this time.
I have travelled on this yelahanka-Dodballapur-Dobbaspet at 4 Am as well as returned at 11:30 PM from Tumkur. That too 2-3 times atleast.
i did not fact any probelm.

I have also not read any news about un-toward incidence of robery, dacoity etc in the local news paper about this road.

Ofocurse road is not well-lit like cities roads or Expressways, it is not 4/6 lane highway, but it is like any other normal highway people drive. e.g.
Tumkur onwards toward Shimoga or Shimoga onwards towards Sagar and beyond etc.

ofcourse, the person who drives has to make a rigit decision for him so that he/she feels safe as well as actually they are safe.
StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 12:39   #411
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 19
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

I will be traveling to Bangalore (precisely Indiranagar) from Mumbai this Friday.
Can anyone outline the distances and locations from Mumbai, where i should look for bad patches. I have driven on this road till Kolhapur. Am not very sure about the rest of the road conditions.
slowdrive007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 12:54   #412
Senior - BHPian
 
prince_pervez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Redwood shores, CA, USA
Posts: 4,198
Thanked: 26 Times
Default

I'm afraid you'll have to read a lot of this thread for point to point detail. In general, till Belgaum you should not have any problems. After that you should be extra cautious till about Chitradurga. Then from there till Tumkur the roads are beautiful minus a couple of unmarked and dangerous speedbrakers (unless you have an SUV or something at par)
From Tumkur to Bangalore it depends on what time you hit Nelmangala. If its early Monday morning then God be with you, and more so if it is Sunday evening.

Are you planning to do this in one stretch or an entire weekend investment ?

Last edited by prince_pervez : 11th January 2010 at 12:56.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 14:17   #413
Distinguished - BHPian
 
paragsachania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 1,716
Thanked: 2,895 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Did anyone find problems travelling due MNS protesters near Kolhapur last week ?
Twice I travelled in the past one week to Bangalore and back, I passed Kolhapur in the night around 1am.
On 8th (Friday) I was passing Kolhapur towards Bangalore around 7-30PM and didn't encounter any such protest. Of course, any of these times during which I passed was never a right time to protest

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Then from there till Tumkur the roads are beautiful minus a couple of unmarked and dangerous speedbrakers (unless you have an SUV or something at par)
Fortunately these unmarked speedbreakers have been removed though the signboards still exist. I agree with you on the beauty of the C'Durga - Tumkur stretch but it is marred by:
  • Pedestrains suddently crossing the road though an overbridge/subway has been provided, jumping across the medians, lifting two-wheelers to the other side of the road and etc.
  • Tractors, Rickshaws suddently wanting to change lanes and exit from the Highway through the break in the Median - Sira & Hiruyur.
  • Our Beloved KSRTC and NWKRTC buses who would never ever give way from Right to overtake no matter how much you wait and honk.
  • Trucks suddenly getting on to the fast lane to overtake another truck leaving you with no option but to follow them at speeds as less as 5kmph. (This despite of you proactively honking and flashing signals that you wanted to pass him)
  • In fact, it is a nightmare doing this stretch - Especially after 7PM and through the night from my recent 3-4 experiences.
Best experience so far was when I started Bangalore at 3/4PM and managed to get rid of the bad stretch/patches and refuelled at Dharwad exit. Traffic manners from here is a boon and flash of lights is good enough for the truckers & buses to give way. Even While I passed Kolpahur at 1am, traffic was all moving on the left lane and only cars, Volvos and other private vehicles were on the fast lane overtaking them.

Last edited by paragsachania : 11th January 2010 at 14:18.
paragsachania is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 14:40   #414
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 336
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Did anyone find problems travelling due MNS protesters near Kolhapur last week ?
I traveled back from Pune to Bangalore on 3rd Jan and did not face any problems. Was stuck at Nelamangala precisely because of the Commercial Checkpost and a truck that broke down in the middle of the road, but otherwise no problems.

Nainar
anainar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 14:49   #415
Senior - BHPian
 
prince_pervez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Redwood shores, CA, USA
Posts: 4,198
Thanked: 26 Times
Default

I saw on Etv about some protest by MNS activists near some villages in Kolhapur and also the fact that they had stopped traffic movement on NH4. I did not have internet access at that time but seems like it was for an hour or so.
Good to know that none were affected.

Last edited by prince_pervez : 11th January 2010 at 14:50.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2010, 02:04   #416
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 19
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
I'm afraid you'll have to read a lot of this thread for point to point detail. In general, till Belgaum you should not have any problems. After that you should be extra cautious till about Chitradurga. Then from there till Tumkur the roads are beautiful minus a couple of unmarked and dangerous speedbrakers (unless you have an SUV or something at par)
From Tumkur to Bangalore it depends on what time you hit Nelmangala. If its early Monday morning then God be with you, and more so if it is Sunday evening.

Are you planning to do this in one stretch or an entire weekend investment ?
Thanks prince for the reply. I'm starting from Mumbai on Friday morning and plan to reach Bangalore by friday night. I have driven long distances regularly, so am hoping this should not be a pain (Drove mum-hyd, 13 hours, mum-goa - 11 hrs at a stretch, single driver.) I'm considering taking dodballapur road and hitting NH7 at Yelhanka.
slowdrive007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2010, 06:40   #417
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 336
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdrive007 View Post
I will be traveling to Bangalore (precisely Indiranagar) from Mumbai this Friday.
Can anyone outline the distances and locations from Mumbai, where i should look for bad patches. I have driven on this road till Kolhapur. Am not very sure about the rest of the road conditions.
When travelling from Mumbai, the roads are pretty good till Bankapur toll gate( Mumbai - Pune - Kohlapur - Belgaum - Hubli - Haveri - this stretch is nice road. After Bankapur toll gate the white road lane markers disappear and that is an indication that road is not completed and watch out for bad patches. This will go on through Davengere - and Chitradurga beyond which the lane markers reappear with reflectors. That means you are back in good roads. Quiet simple actually..

Have a safe trip.

Nainar
anainar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2010, 10:14   #418
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 19
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anainar View Post
When travelling from Mumbai, the roads are pretty good till Bankapur toll gate( Mumbai - Pune - Kohlapur - Belgaum - Hubli - Haveri - this stretch is nice road. After Bankapur toll gate the white road lane markers disappear and that is an indication that road is not completed and watch out for bad patches. This will go on through Davengere - and Chitradurga beyond which the lane markers reappear with reflectors. That means you are back in good roads. Quiet simple actually..

Have a safe trip.

Nainar
Thanks Nainar for the reply. As per google maps the stretch you have mentioned is around 150 kms. Can i do it in 3 hours, considering i will be driving a Zen Estilo?

Also, I see some that there are some regular weekend travelers on this route. Let me know if anyone is planning this route on Thursday/Friday/Saturday. I can see if we can synchronize our departures from Mumbai/Pune.
slowdrive007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2010, 10:43   #419
Distinguished - BHPian
 
paragsachania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 1,716
Thanked: 2,895 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdrive007 View Post
Can i do it in 3 hours, considering i will be driving a Zen Estilo?

Also, I see some that there are some regular weekend travelers on this route. Let me know if anyone is planning this route on Thursday/Friday/Saturday. I can see if we can synchronize our departures from Mumbai/Pune.
Actually, under day light, you can easily do this stretch in 3 hours flat as long as oyu don't get stuck at the 2 railway gates before Ranibennur. Also, like Nainar mentions, After Bankapura toll, the road conditons deteriorate and if you are travelling with rear seat passengers too, be extra cautious at every culvert you pass as they would bounce your car due to the half done work.
Secondly, be careful where the Road surface elevates (with another layer of asphalt) as these are really a pain considering the 13" wheelbase of smaller cars.

I have been doing this regularly on my Wagon-R since the past 3 years and in the past 6 months, I have done this around 8 times now at all possible times.

Last edited by paragsachania : 12th January 2010 at 10:46.
paragsachania is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2010, 11:16   #420
BHPian
 
netarchie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 398
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdrive007 View Post
Thanks Nainar for the reply. As per google maps the stretch you have mentioned is around 150 kms. Can i do it in 3 hours, considering i will be driving a Zen Estilo?

Also, I see some that there are some regular weekend travelers on this route. Let me know if anyone is planning this route on Thursday/Friday/Saturday. I can see if we can synchronize our departures from Mumbai/Pune.
The bad section can be done under 3 hours.

I am doing this stretch, plan to start at 8:00 P.M. Thursday night,from Navi Mumbai. I will be going further till chennai.
netarchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mumbai / Pune to Goa & Ooty : Route Query drustogi Route / Travel Queries 58 7th December 2014 16:23
Pune- Mumbai Expressway to NH-8 - what is the best route? sam_edp Route / Travel Queries 29 24th May 2013 11:00
Route Details for Pune - Bangalore jealousdiamond Route / Travel Queries 19 29th April 2013 10:25
Chennai to Mumbai / Pune Route advice sjcherian Route / Travel Queries 76 25th December 2012 13:21
Urgent -- route inquiry -- Pune Bangalore kpbhatt Route / Travel Queries 10 27th November 2009 15:25


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:43.

Copyright 2000 - 2014, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks