Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 8th October 2010, 11:25   #1

Default Eating joints on the highway from Chennai to Kumbakonam

I am making my first ever road trip in Tamil Nadu (albeit not driving myself) and am pretty excited about it. We will be driving from Chennai to Kumbakonam. I have a few questions.
1. Like on the highways in the North, I would like to know if there are any interesting roadside eating joints on the highway. Not the usual mughalai-chinese places but serving something local/ authentic South Indian.
2. Any other recommended stops on the way?
3. How is the condition of the highway and how long do you think it would take us? We'll be in a hired Indica and will leave Chennai airport at around 11.30 am on a Monday

All tips are more than welcome.
Thanks
vidhib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2010, 14:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

Considering that you would be leaving around 11.30 from the Airport I suggest you ask the driver to stop for lunch at either Ganesh Bhavan - Acharapakkam or Vasantha Bhavan which is a couple of kms after Acharapakkam. But don't expect any flashy restaurant at either of the places. What you would get is good South Indian food possibly Chappathi, Parotta (not Paratha) & meals for lunch.

In all probability you would reach Kumbakonam by early evening so you may not have to stop in between nevertheless let me list a few places where you could take a break.

1.Motel Highway - Maduranthangam
2. Highway Inn - Tindivanam
3. Hotel Archana (just before Tindivanam Byepass) is on the other side of the road though.
4. Hotel Archanas - Neyveli
pypkmsrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2010, 14:02   #3
BHPian

I agree with Srikanth, Please try to have you lunch finished in Chennai. Since you are leaving from Airport, you will find very good restaurants at Tambaram or the hotels that srikanth has mentioned. Then you can hit the highway take a cofee/tea/bio break @ Hotel Archanas, Neyveli. Excellent hotel with good facilities. The journey will take about 3 hours to reach Neyveli. It then takes another 3 hours to reach Kumbakonam from Neyveli. Once you cross Neyveli, there are not good hotels after that. The road is 4 laned till Vikravandi ( 180 KMS from Chennai) and after that is a 2 laned decent road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
Considering that you would be leaving around 11.30 from the Airport I suggest you ask the driver to stop for lunch at either Ganesh Bhavan - Acharapakkam or Vasantha Bhavan which is a couple of kms after Acharapakkam. But don't expect any flashy restaurant at either of the places. What you would get is good South Indian food possibly Chappathi, Parotta (not Paratha) & meals for lunch.

In all probability you would reach Kumbakonam by early evening so you may not have to stop in between nevertheless let me list a few places where you could take a break.

1.Motel Highway - Maduranthangam
2. Highway Inn - Tindivanam
3. Hotel Archana (just before Tindivanam Byepass) is on the other side of the road though.
4. Hotel Archanas - Neyveli

Last edited by venki.bala : 9th October 2010 at 14:06.
venki.bala is offline   Reply With Quote