Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2015, 18:15   #16
ais
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Panchkula
Posts: 54
Thanked: 34 Times
Default re: Chandigarh - Mumbai - Chandigarh : Route Queries

Yes, from Jaipur that is the route I'll take. The car comes with a donut as standard now so that's peace of mind. My nephew did this route recently and gave the same advise on speed breakers on an otherwise good route. I understand if we keep an eye out for speed breaker signs before them we should be okay. Will be extra careful and provide my experience details here.
ais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2015, 07:43   #17
ais
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Panchkula
Posts: 54
Thanked: 34 Times
Default re: Chandigarh - Mumbai - Chandigarh : Route Queries

So I started from Indore at 7.00am and reached Panchkula at 12.45 am that same night. I should have taken a stopover again at Rohtak, but wanted to do so only at a top class hotel and didn't know any due to short planning and research time.

Ujjain was a bit of a pain to pass through but the road is excellent. After Jaipur as we all know, the highway is a pain. I was glad to take the turn towards Rewari! That road till Panipat is superb except for the speedbreakers. Then NH1 is always under maintanace and upgrade since it was born (as a 4 laner) in circa 1986!

I got an average fuel consumption of 5.2l/100km. No idea how! The tolls neutralised any potential savings with a total of 1850/-!!!!
ais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2015, 13:21   #18
BHPian
 
Dieseltuned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bombay
Posts: 365
Thanked: 278 Times
Default re: Chandigarh - Mumbai - Chandigarh : Route Queries

Hi guys,

Not sure if i am posting this in the right thread.

I will be visiting Ambala for a marriage in April and have a day's time to look around Chandigarh and Ambala. Any idea which areas are of interest to see in and around Chandigarh ?

I will be flying to Chandigarh from Bombay.

Last edited by Dieseltuned : 25th March 2015 at 13:22. Reason: added a line to the post
Dieseltuned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2015, 09:27   #19
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Thane
Posts: 11
Thanked: 7 Times
Default re: Chandigarh - Mumbai - Chandigarh : Route Queries

Folks,

Need help on a Himachal trip I am planning in April. I plan to travel from Mumbai to Himachal through Agra. I plan to leave Agra around 11 am and take the Yamuna expressway to Chandigarh. I need help to figure out the best way to pass through Delhi to hit the Chandigarh highway considering that I should be out of the expressway around 2 pm in the afternoon. The Google maps show Noida to the Chandigarh highway via Old Delhi. Is this the optimal route ? Also is 6-7 hours good enough for the journey implying Chandigarh arrival between 5 to 6 pm.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Ashish
ashtech007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2015, 19:05   #20
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,354 Times
Default re: Chandigarh - Mumbai - Chandigarh : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtech007 View Post
Folks,

Need help on a Himachal trip I am planning in April. I plan to travel from Mumbai to Himachal through Agra. I plan to leave Agra around 11 am and take the Yamuna expressway to Chandigarh. I need help to figure out the best way to pass through Delhi to hit the Chandigarh highway considering that I should be out of the expressway around 2 pm in the afternoon. The Google maps show Noida to the Chandigarh highway via Old Delhi. Is this the optimal route ? Also is 6-7 hours good enough for the journey implying Chandigarh arrival between 5 to 6 pm.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Ashish
Exit YEH at Greater NOida towards Noida/ Delhi.
At NOida, take the DND Flyway towards Delhi
Exiting DND FLyway, turn towards Rajghat.
It is one road from the DND Flyway exit through Sarai Kale Khan, Nizamuddin, Rajghat & ISBT to Karnal Road or NH1.
THis road will be high-traffic during peak hours.
From DND FLyway, expect to take 1 hour to reach Karnal Road.
From the Mukkarba CHowk (where you join Karnal Road), it should take you 4 hours to Chandigarh
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2015, 10:53   #21
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Thane
Posts: 11
Thanked: 7 Times
Default re: Chandigarh - Mumbai - Chandigarh : Route Queries

Thanks HVK for your inputs...Agra to Chandigarh went exactly as described by you.

While I post a details travelogue seperately, just for anyone going from Jaipur beyond Delhi, the Panipat-Rohtak-Rewari highway is an excellent option to completely avoid Delhi congestion. Excellent freshly laid 4 lane highway with hardly any traffic. Coming from Chandigarh, leave NH1 after crossing Panipat and turn right and reverse over the flyover to cross NH1 and move to the other side towards the west. Excellent signage will drop you straight on NH8. We covered the distance of about 175 kms from Panipat to Rewari in exactly 2 hours. Flipside is there are hardly any hotels, but just after reaching NH8 and turning right towards Jaipur after about 5-10 kms is a Haldiram food court.

Cheers,
Ashish
ashtech007 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2015, 11:34   #22
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pune
Posts: 89
Thanked: 69 Times
Default re: Chandigarh - Mumbai - Chandigarh : Route Queries

Planning a road trip from Pune to Chandigarh on 19th November. Have done Pune-Thane-Godhra-Modasa-Udaipur-Chittorgarh-Ajmer last year. Will take the same route upto Ajmer.
As per various suggestions on this and other threads, will take this route further upto Chandigarh:
Ajmer-Jaipur-Rewari-Rohtak-Panipat-Chandigarh.

I have two concerns:
1. Last year the approach road to Chittorgarh had work going on and the traffic was horrible. The cement trucks made 5pm feel like 8pm and we were clad in cement by the time we reached the hotel. Has the situation changed now?
2. With the Chirwa tunnel now open, is Udaipur-Nathdwara-Rajsamand-Bhilwara now a better option to bypass Chittorgarh or to reduce travel time?

Any suggestions regarding road work/ bad roads to avoid in the whole route are highly appreciated.
raghuvir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2015, 00:55   #23
BHPian
 
suzuki san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Goa & Bombay
Posts: 497
Thanked: 307 Times
Default Re: Chandigarh - Mumbai - Chandigarh : Route Queries

Hi Guys,
A friend of mine will be attending a wedding in Chandigarh and has decided to drive from Bombay to Chandigarh in his new S Cross 1.6.
I may accompany him just for the drive - and to check out this S Cross.
Would really appreciate any inputs as to which is the best route to take as far as road conditions go.
Intention was to go via Ahmedabad and Udaipur but we are open to suggestions.
Leaving Bombay on the 8th. so would really, really appreciate any help from you guys.

Thanks in advance,
SS
suzuki san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2015, 09:49   #24
BHPian
 
Wanderers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Delhi-NCR
Posts: 480
Thanked: 607 Times
Default Re: Chandigarh - Mumbai - Chandigarh : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi Guys,
A friend of mine will be attending a wedding in Chandigarh and has decided to drive from Bombay to Chandigarh in his new S Cross 1.6.

Would really appreciate any inputs as to which is the best route to take as far as road conditions go.
Intention was to go via Ahmedabad and Udaipur but we are open to suggestions.
Hi,

Please take the Mumbai-Delhi GQ and NH-1 onwards to Chandigarh.
You can stay overnight at Chittorgarh or Udaipur depending upon the time you start.

If you happen to approach Bhiwadi after 5 PM in evening, you may choose to bypass Gurgaon/Delhi by going via Rohtak. However I personally think that going via Delhi would still be better.

Last edited by Wanderers : 3rd December 2015 at 09:51.
Wanderers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2015, 10:29   #25
BHPian
 
suzuki san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Goa & Bombay
Posts: 497
Thanked: 307 Times
Default Re: Chandigarh - Mumbai - Chandigarh : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderers View Post
Hi,

Please take the Mumbai-Delhi GQ and NH-1 onwards to Chandigarh.
You can stay overnight at Chittorgarh or Udaipur depending upon the time you start.

If you happen to approach Bhiwadi after 5 PM in evening, you may choose to bypass Gurgaon/Delhi by going via Rohtak. However I personally think that going via Delhi would still be better.
Hi Wanderer,

Thanks for your input.
So, basically if we follow the route below we should be OK?
Route as follows :
Bombay - Baroda - Ahmedabad - Mehsana - Palanpur - Abu Road - Sirohi - Pali - Beawar - Ajmer - Jaipur - Rewari - Rohtak - Gohana - Panipat - Karnal - Ambala - Chandigarh

Is there any road construction work / diversions or other construction going on which may delay us?
I have also heard about the notorious traffic jams on the Bharuch bridge in Gujarat. Is that still a regular occurrence or is it a thing of the past?

We would rather not enter Delhi as none of us are familiar with the city.

Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2015, 10:50   #26
BHPian
 
Wanderers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Delhi-NCR
Posts: 480
Thanked: 607 Times
Default Re: Chandigarh - Mumbai - Chandigarh : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi Wanderer,

So, basically if we follow the route below we should be OK?
Route as follows :
Bombay - Baroda - Ahmedabad - Mehsana - Palanpur - Abu Road - Sirohi - Pali - Beawar - Ajmer - Jaipur - Rewari - Rohtak - Gohana - Panipat - Karnal - Ambala - Chandigarh

We would rather not enter Delhi as none of us are familiar with the city.
Hi,

The GQ route is little different.

Mumbai- Baroda-Ahmedabad- Himmatnagar- Udaipur- Chittorgarh- Bhilwara-Kishangarh-Jaipur-Delhi.

Yes you can take Rohtak route to Panipat to catch NH-1 onwards to Chandigarh. However this route has plenty of trucks in the night. Going via Delhi does not involve many turns.

At Dhaula Kuan, please turn left for Karnal (as shown) and you are on outer ring road for next 20 kms approx. One cannot miss the NH-1 exit to Karnal as there are plenty of road signs for Karnal all the way on outer ring road.
Wanderers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2015, 11:22   #27
BHPian
 
suzuki san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Goa & Bombay
Posts: 497
Thanked: 307 Times
Default Re: Chandigarh - Mumbai - Chandigarh : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderers View Post
Hi,

The GQ route is little different.

Mumbai- Baroda-Ahmedabad- Himmatnagar- Udaipur- Chittorgarh- Bhilwara-Kishangarh-Jaipur-Delhi.

Yes you can take Rohtak route to Panipat to catch NH-1 onwards to Chandigarh. However this route has plenty of trucks in the night. Going via Delhi does not involve many turns.

At Dhaula Kuan, please turn left for Karnal (as shown) and you are on outer ring road for next 20 kms approx. One cannot miss the NH-1 exit to Karnal as there are plenty of road signs for Karnal all the way on outer ring road.
Hi Wanderer,

Thanks a lot for your prompt replies and suggestions.
Much appreciated - really!
We do not intend to do any night driving as far as possible.
Is there a lot of truck traffic on the Rohtak road during the day as well?
I have put forward your idea of going through Delhi to the other three guys.
Let's see what they say.

If you can think of any other information that would be of use to us please do mention it.

Thanks once again.

Warm Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2015, 11:42   #28
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 104
Thanked: 83 Times
Default Re: Chandigarh - Mumbai - Chandigarh : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
I have also heard about the notorious traffic jams on the Bharuch bridge in Gujarat. Is that still a regular occurrence or is it a thing of the past?
Crossing the Narmada can still be challenge depending on the time of the day. Many detailed guides have been written on how to go if you encounter a jam. Please refer to this post for more details.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3716828 (Bangalore - Pune - Ahmedabad : Route Queries)
Landkruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2015, 12:31   #29
BHPian
 
suzuki san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Goa & Bombay
Posts: 497
Thanked: 307 Times
Default Re: Chandigarh - Mumbai - Chandigarh : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landkruzer View Post
Crossing the Narmada can still be challenge depending on the time of the day. Many detailed guides have been written on how to go if you encounter a jam. Please refer to this post for more details.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3716828 (Bangalore - Pune - Ahmedabad : Route Queries)
Hi Landkruzer,

Thanks for the info.
This bridge certainly seems to be a pain. I can't believe it has still not been completed. The last time I visited Jamnagar about 7 years ago I was stuck here for about 2 hours!!
However, "Paragsachania" and others seem to have found a way around it by using the "Golden Bridge". Will give that a try.
Only other option is to go via Nasik & Indore to Chittorgarh but have never heard much good about roads in MP.

Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2015, 01:33   #30
ais
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Panchkula
Posts: 54
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: Chandigarh - Mumbai - Chandigarh : Route Queries

Mumbai to Indore is fantastic. I did this in February starting at 6.30AM from Bhiwandi and with a breakfast halt was in my hotel at Indore at 3pm driving comfortably for running in a new car.

The problem starts after Indore with construction works mentioned in earlier posts. If taking this route halt at Indore and Rohtak. Do not drive at night.

Else go via Ahmedabad, and halt at Udaipur.

Avoid Delhi. Use the new Rohtak Panipat highway and as mentioned earlier, look out for 3-4 speedbreakers in villages after Rohtak before Panipat.

There are excellent alternate routes through Rajasthan from Jodhpur side if you wish to explore off the usual routes.
ais is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chennai-Mumbai-Chennai route queries jeevmenon Route / Travel Queries 89 7th November 2017 14:40
Delhi/Chandigarh to Dehradun : Route Queries rkbharat Route / Travel Queries 41 5th December 2016 22:18
Chandigarh - Jaipur bypassing Delhi : Route Queries Gill Route / Travel Queries 15 12th November 2015 09:58
Chandigarh-Dehradun-Chandigarh YC.BALENO.CHD Travelogues 2 25th May 2009 02:32


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:43.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks