Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 9th August 2011, 16:56   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Bangalore - Kumbakonam - Thanjavur - Trichy - Madurai - Namakkal - Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post

Does Thanjavur have a bypass ? I visited last October and there wasn't any, neither were there proper signages for Kumbakonam inside Thanjavur city. Though traffic wasn't a problem when I crossed at 8am.
You are right. To my knowledge, there is no bypass for Tanjore. Also not enough sign boards for kumbakonam inside the city. While going from Trichy after exiting the NH, one need to find the way to catch KMU road via Big Temple. Its not that easy for people who are not familiar or visiting first time.

-Ravi

Last edited by ravib : 9th August 2011 at 16:57.
ravib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 17:12   #47
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Bangalore - Kumbakonam - Thanjavur - Trichy - Madurai - Namakkal - Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
You are right. To my knowledge, there is no bypass for Tanjore. Also not enough sign boards for kumbakonam inside the city. While going from Trichy after exiting the NH, one need to find the way to catch KMU road via Big Temple. Its not that easy for people who are not familiar or visiting first time.

-Ravi

Well I think there is some kind of a psedo-bypass. (Though a bit longer)
(But its good for Thiruvarur though)

I vaguely remember seeing that 1 year back. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thiruchi-Thanjavur Rd to National Highway 45C/NH 45C - Google Maps

As Ravi said, its difficult latching on to 45C from the Big temple. Goes through many market roads.
Getting to the temple from Trichy side is easy though. Just continue on the "college road"!

Periyar University and then followed by the medical college.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 18:21   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Well I think there is some kind of a psedo-bypass.
Do you know which signages to follow for this pseudo-bypass ?

Quote:
As Ravi said, its difficult latching on to 45C from the Big temple. Goes through many market roads.
Getting to the temple from Trichy side is easy though. Just continue on the "college road"!

Periyar University and then followed by the medical college.
There were signages for just 2 places wherever I saw in Thanjavur, the big temple and Tamil Sangam. I did pass big temple then, but dont remember getting into market roads.

SH22 isn't a bad option either, the signages to Kallanai from Trichy bypass and Thiruvanaikoil are well marked. Narrower roads with minimal traffic is what I heard and passes through much smaller towns. J.Ravi knows this route best.

Kumbakonam is bad at signages as well, though it is marginally better than Thanjavur in terms of other city directions.
narayans80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 18:45   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Sorry dont remember much. All I can vaguely remember is that there is a board which marks diversion at the Periyar university.
I think there is sign-gauge to Thirvarur.

If you follow you will re-join 67 outside Tanjore on the other side. I can be wrong on this.
This was almost 1 to 1.5 years back, when I drove on that section.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2011, 06:38   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Though I have been in Trichy for most part of my life, the routes and signages in Tanjore never fails to confuse me in all my trips. Yes, there is a kind of pseudo by-pass for Tanjore but in most cases, that really doesn't make sense as crossing the Tanjore town would be easier as you can ask for directions to almost everybody and all of them would be knowing how to go to Kumbakonam. Also, there are a whole lot of exits from Tanjore which crosses the by-pass road every few meters and you sort of get confused which exit to take to reach where.
arvi86 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2011, 08:35   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
Though I have been in Trichy for most part of my life, the routes and signages in Tanjore never fails to confuse me in all my trips. Yes, there is a kind of pseudo by-pass for Tanjore but in most cases, that really doesn't make sense as crossing the Tanjore town would be easier as you can ask for directions to almost everybody and all of them would be knowing how to go to Kumbakonam. Also, there are a whole lot of exits from Tanjore which crosses the by-pass road every few meters and you sort of get confused which exit to take to reach where.
Exactly my thoughts too. Even I remember seeing multiple entry/exit points.
And I finally had to ask some one how take to the Kumbakonam road!
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2011, 11:20   #52
BHPian

Quote:
You are correct, there is no need to enter Trichy at all.
Does Thanjavur have a bypass ? I visited last October and there wasn't any, neither were there proper signages for Kumbakonam inside Thanjavur city.
Quote:
Well I think there is some kind of a psedo-bypass. (Though a bit longer)

I think I have used that "bypass" when I travelled from Oppiliyappan Temple to Trichy a couple of years back - and yes, there were no signs at that time.

Once you are used to Bangalore traffic, Thanjavur is next to nothing and so one need not use the bypass at all.

If you are coming from the Trichy side, you have three options to reach Kumbakonam road (a) after Vallam, take Pudukottai road, cross Housing Unit (to your left), reach Ramanathan hospital, Sacred Heart Convent, Railway Station, Clock Tower, Old Bus stand, and straight to Kumbakonam; (b) after Vallam, take the Housing Unit Road (Star Nagar, New Bus Stand), cross Housing Unit (to your right), Collector's Bungalow, Ramanathan hospital, Sacred Heart Convent, Railway Station, Clock Tower, Old Bus stand, and straight to Kumbakonam; and (c) after Vallam take the Medical College road, hit the overbridge, come down to Big Temple, take a right towards Clock Tower, cross SBI, Express Bus Stand (both to your left), and take a left at the clock tower to wards Kumbakonam.

Same three routes must be available while going in the reverse direction.
Tempelhof is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 07:57   #53
BHPian

When I check Google Maps to go from Thiruvannamalai to Kumbakonam, it always shows the Chidambaram-Sirkaazhi-Mayiladuthurai route.

Why is it not showing the NH45C route (Gangai Konda Cholapuram - Thirupanandaal et al) ?

Is that road closed?
Tempelhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 08:16   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does Thanjavur have a bypass ?
Quote:
You are right. To my knowledge, there is no bypass for Tanjore.
There is a super 4-lane NH 67 bypass to Thanjavur. I drove on this NH 67 Thanjavur bypass on 19 August 2011 from Velankanni and took a turn to NH 226 to Pudukottai en route Pillayarpatti.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 30th August 2011 at 08:17.
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 08:29   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
When I check Google Maps to go from Thiruvannamalai to Kumbakonam, it always shows the Chidambaram-Sirkaazhi-Mayiladuthurai route.

Why is it not showing the NH45C route (Gangai Konda Cholapuram - Thirupanandaal et al) ?

Is that road closed?
I think that is because of a break in bridge at Anaikarai. (Google maps is updated!)

Here is the reference.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2336984
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2011, 08:08   #56
BHPian

Starting from Bangalore on 31st August 2011, I went to Thiruvannamalai (31st morning), Thiruvannamalai to Kumbakonam (on 1st Sept.), Kumbakonam to Trichy (on 2nd Sept.) and from Trichy back to Bangalore (on 3rd Sept.).

Route taken: Bangalore - Krishnagiri - Chengam - Thiruvannamalai - Thirukoilur - Panruti - Vadalur - Sethiathoppu - Chidambaram - Sirkazhi - Mayavaram (Mayiladuthurai) - Kumbakonam - Thanjavur - Trichy - Musiri - Namakkal - Salem - Bangalore.

Road conditions: All NH roads are excellent, so I am not writing anything about them.

Krishnagiri - Thiruvannamalai: Bad to worse at places - see attached pictures. There could be surprises in the form of deep pot holes, heavily loaded mopeds, etc.

Thiruvannamalai to Kumbakonam: State "highway" all the way - occasional pot holes, but not as bad as the Krishnagiri - Thiruvannamalai route.
Kumbakonam to Thanjavur: Curvy roads, look for bullock carts and rash-driven private buses.

Trichy - Musiri - Namakkal: Partially good (after Musiri) and partially bad (before Musiri); lookout for constant lorry traffic, one after the other; blind curves, need patience and clear line-of-sight before overtaking.

Thanks to all those who helped me in deciding on this route. The trip was very good, and uneventful.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Kumbakonam - Thanjavur - Trichy - Madurai - Namakkal - Bangalore-p8315414.jpg  

Bangalore - Kumbakonam - Thanjavur - Trichy - Madurai - Namakkal - Bangalore-p8315415.jpg  

Bangalore - Kumbakonam - Thanjavur - Trichy - Madurai - Namakkal - Bangalore-p8315416.jpg  

Bangalore - Kumbakonam - Thanjavur - Trichy - Madurai - Namakkal - Bangalore-p8315417.jpg  

Bangalore - Kumbakonam - Thanjavur - Trichy - Madurai - Namakkal - Bangalore-p8315418.jpg  

Bangalore - Kumbakonam - Thanjavur - Trichy - Madurai - Namakkal - Bangalore-p8315419.jpg  

Bangalore - Kumbakonam - Thanjavur - Trichy - Madurai - Namakkal - Bangalore-20110831-10.07.06.jpg  

Bangalore - Kumbakonam - Thanjavur - Trichy - Madurai - Namakkal - Bangalore-20110831-10.22.48.jpg  

Bangalore - Kumbakonam - Thanjavur - Trichy - Madurai - Namakkal - Bangalore-20110903-12.25.47.jpg  

Tempelhof is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2011, 22:55   #57
BHPian

Need to goto Kumbakonam from B'lore next week. We have B'lore-Trichy thread to get updates upto Trichy.

Anyone knows the current road condition from Trichy-Kallanai(Grand Anaicut)-Thiruvaiyaru-Kumbakonam stretch?

If this stretch is good, I am planning to try it out in my return journey from kumbakonam to bangalore instead of reaching Trichy via Tanjore, for once.

-Ravi
Old 23rd October 2011, 09:29   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib
Need to goto Kumbakonam from B'lore next week. We have B'lore-Trichy thread to get updates upto Trichy.

Anyone knows the current road condition from Trichy-Kallanai(Grand Anaicut)-Thiruvaiyaru-Kumbakonam stretch?

If this stretch is good, I am planning to try it out in my return journey from kumbakonam to bangalore instead of reaching Trichy via Tanjore, for once.

-Ravi
I tried this in March. It was excellent and scenic.
prabhuferrari is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2011, 12:00   #59
BHPian

Since B'lore-Trichy is discussed in other thread, i'll write only about Trichy-Tanjore-Kumbakonam sector updates.

From Trichy to Kumbakonam => took usual Trichy-Tanjore-Kumbakonam Route.
Did Trichy-Tanjore in 30 mts in excellent 4L, but Tanjore-Kumbakonam took more than 1:15 mts.Horrible traffic in winding 2L roads and you lose time that you saved in Trichy-Tanjore section. You got to be very attentive and maximum concentration is needed, because of heavy buses and lorry traffic who drive very closely. There are absolutely no shoulders throughout and very narrow roads in all villages you pass through.

From Kumbakonam to Trichy => Took Thiruvaiyaru-Kallanai route. Excellent roads (except for couple of small pot holes here and there) and is very scenic. Distance wise it is shorter, but it takes almost same amount of driving time, Definitely a stress free drive. Watchout for villagers who stand in middle of roads, so keep honking

-Ravi
Old 3rd November 2011, 12:16   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
From Kumbakonam to Trichy => Took Thiruvaiyaru-Kallanai route. Excellent roads (except for couple of small pot holes here and there) and is very scenic.
Agreed. I drove on this route in February 2011. Thiruvaiyaru is also famous for its Ashoka Halwa - a must-taste delicacy! Details are here (Cara Mia Fiat Linea!) and here (Bangalore - Kumbakonam - Thanjavur - Trichy - Madurai - Namakkal - Bangalore).

Last edited by J.Ravi : 3rd November 2011 at 12:25.
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote