Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 30th October 2014, 12:28   #106
BHPian

Post Re: Tanjavur to Kumbakonam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Its beyond Tanjore on the 67. I think the board to look out for is Thirukargavur. You can ask folks for the Garbha Rakhsambigai temple exit. Its the same road which beyond Thirukargavur would lead you to Papanasam on the Tanjore-KMU road.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nssrini View Post
Did Trichy - Kumbakonam trip last week and tried the original route and it was bad scene - heavy rains and bad stretches. Is the Saliamangalam exit after the signboard for KMU on NH 67@ Thanjavur?
Sorry for the delay, saw this just now.

I am not sure, I did this route just once.
But I used three maps to cross-check: Google-maps, Sygic and Navimaps on my Android phone.
manim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2014, 14:20   #107
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Tanjavur to Kumbakonam

Quote:
Originally Posted by nssrini View Post
Is the Saliamangalam exit after the signboard for KMU on NH 67@ Thanjavur?
It is way-way beyond the signboard to KMU (byepass). Once the KMU road branches out via a flyover, the road becomes a regular two lane road and continue on the road for atleast 10 kms before you reach Saliamangalam to take a left. Be warned that this road to Papanasam is a narrow village road, and there is a possibility that this might not be maintained as well as State or National Highways.
DWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2014, 19:21   #108
BHPian

Post Re: Tanjavur to Kumbakonam

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
Be warned that this road to Papanasam is a narrow village road, and there is a possibility that this might not be maintained as well as State or National Highways.
But I took exactly this road and it was good!
It is a small road with small villages, but the road-surface was excellent.

If my low-slung Civic could take it, is good for any other car!
manim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2015, 17:54   #109
BHPian

Default Re: Bangalore - Kumbakonam - Thanjavur - Trichy - Madurai - Namakkal - Bangalore

Having read through this thread, I am not clear about the best route to Tanjore from Bangalore. The part I am not clear about is the route to take after Namakkal.

Google maps shows this route to Tanjore: https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/12...10.7869994!3e0

Is that the best route? Or better to go via Thuraiyur or via Karur?
mohan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2015, 18:54   #110
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Bangalore - Kumbakonam - Thanjavur - Trichy - Madurai - Namakkal - Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
Having read through this thread, I am not clear about the best route to Tanjore from Bangalore. The part I am not clear about is the route to take after Namakkal.
There are two options:

1. Drive all the way to Karur. Take the bypass and then get on to Trichy road (NH67)
2. Get into Namakkal down. And then taken the road to Thuraiyur to Trichy.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2015, 19:48   #111
BHPian

Quote:

There are two options:

1. Drive all the way to Karur. Take the bypass and then get on to Trichy road (NH67)
2. Get into Namakkal down. And then taken the road to Thuraiyur to Trichy.
Thanks @ampere. Which one of the two is better?
Old 21st August 2015, 20:20   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Since your destination in Tanjore, get into Namakkal town and take Thuraiyur route is best option, provided you are comfortable in driving in 2L from Namakkal till Trichy (about 90 kms). The google maps you referred is Standard bus route and generally the roads are not good around Thottiyam and Musiri. Better to exit towards Thuraiyur road after crossing Namakkal Bus stand on your left. Continue driving till Pagalavadi/Kannanur and drive straight towards Manachanallur that will further lead to Trichy Tollgate.

You will reach Trichy Tollgate when you take Thuraiyur route and can easy latch on to the NH45 and take Exit towards Tanjore which is few kms.

https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/12...10.7869994!3e0

But please do not that, incase, if you are are traveling with elders or families, beyond Salem/Namakkal there are not great decent stop overs (food/restrooms) till you reach Trichy.

If you are uncomfortable in driving in 2L, as ampere mentioned, drive all the way till Karur, exit to NH67 which will take you to Trichy Chatram bus stand and then latch on to NH45 to join Tanjore exit. This will be full 4L roads except inside Trichy city.

-Ravi

Last edited by ravib : 21st August 2015 at 20:26.
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2015, 20:42   #113
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
- Both are good from a road condition point of view.
- The Karur option is more cleaner as you dont need to go into any town.
- You get past Karur on the NH7 and then turn to Trichy.
- But the only catch on this route is the sand lorries beyond Karur.
- But Thuraiyur route has one more advantage. You end up at toll gate straight.
- And hence its easy to get on to Tanjore road.

Route 1: Via Thuraiyur

Route 2: Via Karur
Old 5th September 2015, 00:59   #114
BHPian

Hi
Which is the best route to take from Bangalore to Kumbakonam given that there have been road improvements since this post started. Is it doable on a motorbike or a 4 wheeler is preferable.

TIA
indianrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2015, 02:04   #115
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianrunner View Post
Hi
Which is the best route to take from Bangalore to Kumbakonam given that there have been road improvements since this post started. Is it doable on a motorbike or a 4 wheeler is preferable.
The best option I think now would be:

Bangalore-Salem-Ulundurpet-Vridhachalam-Jayamkondam-Kumbakonam. If you have a four wheeler, take it by all means.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2015, 17:53   #116
BHPian

Quote:
The best option I think now would be:

Bangalore-Salem-Ulundurpet-Vridhachalam-Jayamkondam-Kumbakonam. If you have a four wheeler, take it by all means.
Has the Ulundurpet-Kumbakonam stretch really improved now? I intend to take it this weekend.
luvurride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2015, 18:15   #117
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
Has the Ulundurpet-Kumbakonam stretch really improved now? I intend to take it this weekend.
Its pretty much the same. Not any major change on the status. Uludnurpet-Vridhachalam-Jayamkondam-Kumbakonam
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2015, 18:28   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Its pretty much the same. Not any major change on the status. Uludnurpet-Vridhachalam-Jayamkondam-Kumbakonam
Sorry I should have phrased it more clear - Wasn't this stretch bad? Is it better now? How long should it take?
luvurride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2015, 20:25   #119
BHPian

Any good restaurants on Salem-Namakkal-Trichy route preferrably off the highway without going too much inside the towns?
Old 19th October 2015, 23:16   #120
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Any good restaurants on Salem-Namakkal-Trichy route preferrably off the highway without going too much inside the towns?
Beyond Salem, not much. There is one before Namakkal, very close to Budhansanthai. It was closed but not sure about the current status. There are many colleges on this part of the 4-lane. So I will expect some new ones to come up. As of now, its better to have a break at Salem.

Not sure of any beyond Karur toward Trichy on the 67.