Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 14th October 2010, 23:01   #1
LNG

Default Bangalore - Kumbakonam - Thanjavur - Trichy - Madurai - Namakkal - Bangalore

Folks,

We are setting out on this pilgrimage road trip this Sunday (17th Oct) and sorry to be writing at a short notice.

Actually we need to have my son tonsured (head hair shaved) subsequent to his first birthday. And this we have decided to be done at Sri Oppiliappan Temple, Kumbakonam. Along side i have charted out a couple of places to visit.

People travelling:
Myself
Wife
My son
Father
Mother

The itinerary is as follows

Day 1: 17th Oct Sunday
Blr -> Hosur -> Krishnagiri -> Thiruvannamalai -> Ulundurpet -> Gangaikonda cholapuram -> Kumbakonam (Night halt)

Day 2: 18th Oct Monday
Kumbakonam -> Mannargudi -> Thanjavur -> Samayapuram -> Srirangam -> Trichy (Night halt)

Day 3: 19th Oct Tuesday
Trichy -> Madurai (Night halt)

Day 4: 20th Oct Wednesday
Madurai -> Karur -> Namakkal -> Salem -> Krishnagiri -> Bangalore

I have a work-off tomorrow and i have plans to take my car Ritz VXI (done 2500 Kms, 2nd service yet not done) to Suraksha and have the following done

1) Complete inspection of things
2) Head light change to Philips 90/100W ( i have no plans for driving at nights) -> Do i need this?
3) New read lamp installation in the rear - just above boot to help both boot vision and rear passenger read anything
4) Fill nitrogen air? in all 5 tyres (spare inclusive)

Moreover on the packing side i have prepared a list

1) Tubeless tyre repair kit
2) Vehicle document copies - no originals: Registration card copy, Insurance copy ->> Is it ok to just have RC copy?
3) Flash lights: LED re-chargeable and normal bulb torch with extra batteries
4) Thick Nylon rope for towing, if needed
5) Electric boiler - for water, milk
6) Nandini slim lite / Amul taaza milk packs
7) Tetra pack - flavoured milk packs
8) Water bottles :4 lts in stock and replenished as necessary
9) Dresses
10) Toiletteries
11) Packed food: Fruits, Chocolates, biscuits, for my son etc
12) Odomos cream
13) First Aid kit - Bandaids, pills, creams etc
14) Camera: with re-chargeable batteries, charger
15) Cellphone charger
16) Some insulation tapes
17) Thick garbage bags (small ones)
18) Candles & Matches
19) Knife & Scissors
20) Laptop & Charger

I am not sure about a baby seat, my son is just too cranky when forced or confined and it is just too tough to stop his crying.

Please enlighten me where you guys see a scope.

Chrs
Gopinath
LNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2010, 08:28   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNG View Post
Vehicle document copies - no originals: Registration card copy, Insurance copy ->> Is it ok to just have RC copy?
Always carry all vehicle documents in original [Driving licence+RC+insurance policy+tax paid receipt+pollution-under-control certificate] especially when travelling outside your city limits. Cops won't be satisifed with just photocopies. I don't see umbrellas in the list. Please carry some umbrellas since it is monsoon time.
J.Ravi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2010, 08:29   #3
Senior - BHPian

Do not go via Ulundurpet. Instead from Tiruvannamali take the road to Tirukoylur, intersect NH45 and go via Panruti to Gangaikondacholapuram and Kumbakonam. You can follow the route profile for Bangalore-Panruti in this guide:
http://hvkumar.googlegroups.com/web/...irunallar.xlsx

Carry all originals - RC, D License, PUC, Insurance.
Stock headlamps should be OK, no need to upgrade.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2010, 08:45   #4
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Since the Guru has spoken on the route, I've nothing to add. Anyway, if you've some more time, consider visiting the Navagraha temples; they're a must visit.

Quote:
2) Head light change to Philips 90/100W ( i have no plans for driving at nights) -> Do i need this?
If you've 90/100 for quite sometime now, then go with it; do not plonk the 90/100 today & continue the journey tomorrow or next week.

Quote:
3) New read lamp installation in the rear - just above boot to help both boot vision and rear passenger read anything
My personal opinion is not to have any disturbances for the one who drives. So its always a strict no for lamps within the car; its upto you.

Quote:
4) Fill nitrogen air? in all 5 tyres (spare inclusive)
But why?

Quote:
Moreover on the packing side i have prepared a list
Carry all originals in a separate bag & keep the bag always with you instead of dumping in the glove box for ever. What I mean is, when you're driving, its ok to put inside glove box, but after parking, carry the originals + photocopies with you.

Quote:
1) Tubeless tyre repair kit
4) Thick Nylon rope for towing, if needed
6) Nandini slim lite / Amul taaza milk packs
7) Tetra pack - flavoured milk packs
17) Thick garbage bags (small ones)
18) Candles & Matches
19) Knife & Scissors
Personally I feel ^^^ are unnecessary as you're not making a trip to Leh where you don't get these easily. Carry a light luggage with most essential things only. But again, its left to your discreetion.
See, you're carrying a tubeless tyre repair kit, but what about foot or electric pump?

Quote:
12) Odomos cream
I hope you're taking a non A/C accomodation

Quote:
I am not sure about a baby seat, my son is just too cranky when forced or confined and it is just too tough to stop his crying.
This is the most important thing to consider even if you forget the first aid kit

Last edited by aargee : 15th October 2010 at 08:47.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2010, 11:47   #5
LNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Always carry all vehicle documents in original [Driving licence+RC+insurance policy+tax paid receipt+pollution-under-control certificate] especially when travelling outside your city limits. Cops won't be satisifed with just photocopies. I don't see umbrellas in the list. Please carry some umbrellas since it is monsoon time.
Thanks, i shall carry all documents in original. And for the umberellas, i think it slipped my mind coz there is always a big one lying in my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Do not go via Ulundurpet. Instead from Tiruvannamali take the road to Tirukoylur, intersect NH45 and go via Panruti to Gangaikondacholapuram and Kumbakonam. You can follow the route profile for Bangalore-Panruti in this guide:
http://hvkumar.googlegroups.com/web/...irunallar.xlsx

Carry all originals - RC, D License, PUC, Insurance.
Stock headlamps should be OK, no need to upgrade.

Thanks man! I will also touch up with google maps and understand the route visually too

Last edited by Jaggu : 15th October 2010 at 11:50. Reason: Back to back posts, please use multi quote (Quote +) instead. Thanks
Old 16th October 2010, 10:00   #6
LNG

Had been to Surakshaa on Friday, had to be there as early as 9 AM coz they were open only for half-a-day for Ayudha Pooja. Mr. Lokesh there didnt recommend me upgrading from stock head-lights and i took his word. Didnt fill nitrogen in tyres.

Moreover i didnt get the reading lamp in their accessory shop couple of blocks away and then i visited EVO by about 10.40 AM. Didnt find it open so came home.

Also did most of shopping yesterday, but still the list spills for today too.

So yes @aargee, i think i now vindicate all your questions / suggestions , we will be in the A/C room but i am not sure about the mosquitoes hence got ourselves the odomos.

Didnt stock a tube-less-tyre repair kit either.
Old 24th October 2010, 00:33   #7
JLN
BHPian

Hi LNG - are you back from your trip? kindly post a road report - specifically around the road conditions and ease of drivability. I am planning a similar trip and your inputs will be very useful.
JLN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2010, 22:44   #8
LNG

Hi JLN and others, yes we are very much back in BLR, on 21st last month to be precise. Sorry I could not post earlier than this.

I will share my view of the roads/route briefly.

Day1: BLR -> Kumbakonam:
Excellent roads till the detour to Ulundurpet after Krishnagiri. Soon after krishnagiri I took the side road beside the flyover and took the left going towards Ulundurpet. Probably half a KM from there I saw a board suggesting a right turn for towards Thiruvannamalai.

Man this is the most horrible section of our entire travel. The roads had big old trees on either side to the most part of it. And the scattered light and shade from these trees hid all of the pot-holes, patches and caving-ins on the road. On top of these there were local buses plying this route and gave me a tough time staying on the road. They work-around these road troubles by eating into the other side of the road. And the ones coming from behind had to overtake, dont know what sort of urgency all of these buses had. This rough road continues all the way till Thiruvannamalai town.

Once after this town the road towards Panruti was inviting, except for the wierdly designed speed breakers which I failed to notice and almost had my car on rear wheels for a split second. The road is newly laid and had fields on either side. We also stopped for lunch at the Ayyanar temple in the midst of a bushy place with a hand powered water pump.

Rest was all pleasant till Kumbakonam. We had 2 rooms booked in Thirunageswaram - 5 kms from Kumbakonam city. And the next day we had temple worship soon after we got our son's head tonsured.

Day2: Kumbakonam -> Mannargudi -> Thanjavur -> Trichy:
Started around 11 pm from Kumbakonam and reached Serankulam on the outskirts of Mannargudi. This place is a small village with a clan of Iyengars (Vaishnavite Tamil Brahmins) living. And is the place my father hails from. Had some great moments there, meeting his young age friends - all of them walked hand-in-hand and were pulling each others' legs with memoirs of their sweet past.

Then we had worship at Raja Gopala Swamy temple in Mannargudi and headed straight to Thanjavur. We reached there at Periya Kovil (Brahadeeswar temple) and had a splending cum scintilating darshan. The day we had been incidentally coincided with some special ritual in that temple where the Lord Shiva's processing idol is taken from his abode to his wife's abode for resting over night. There were great rhythm of drumming all the while.

Then started for Trichy right away. Though we began with an intention that we would drive in the night, we invariably ended up doing just that. We ended up spending more time than we had actually planned for and that eated up in our schedules grossly.

I found a place for night stay called Sarada Lodge (beside Hotel Annamalai and opp. to Hotel Tamil Nadu). Something in the back of my mind told me that this is a bad choice. But it turned out to be a pleasant surprise with good management and well maintained rooms. Top of all the prices were reasonable.

Day3: Trichy -> Srirangam -> Samayapuram -> Thirunavanaikoil -> Madurai
Excellent by-pass road, but got caught up in a heavy rain. It was literally raining cats n dogs. And my first ever experience in driving through intense rain at night. I tried to pull-over at many a places. But it didnt show any signs of placation. The rain just had its fury bursting at its seams.

Reached Madurai and had a reservation with Hotel Temple view. The place was just OK-OK and is in the middle of the probably the narrowest - busiest business streets of Madurai. But is just a couple of strolls from the Temple. Rested through the night. Had hot idlys at Murugan Idly shop for dinner.

Day 4: Madurai -> Namakkal -> BLR:
Had morning darshan at the Madurai Meenakshi temple. Had lunch at Sriram mess (strongly recommended by the Hotel manager) as we wanted a vegetarian place. The food and service was just great. Good that we took the manager's word.

Headed towards Namakkal via Karur. Reached Anjaneyar temple about 5 PM and also managed to worship Lord Narasimhar just across the road whose temple is overlooked by the guardian Anjaneyar. A nice experience here, as the main idol is inscribed in the rock forming the big hillock. Pretty impressive sculpting.

Took the road to BLR via Salem. Roads are excellent again, but had ridiculous toll boths every 50 KMs or so and felt like being usurped via the not so reasonable toll fees. Anyways found a A2B adjoining a petrol station and finished our dinner there.
Just near Krishnagiri there were lots of minimally winding up-hills. It was about 11.20 PM and the entire road seemed as if its a parking lot for heavy trucks. Literally they were moving at snails pace and were in either side of the road to a good stretch of about 2 KMs.

Finally reached Hosur, tanked up fuel (petrol) and like my luck goes the fuel price had been increased right after the day we had set out travelling .
Once in Bangalore, we took the elevated toll way from Electronic City to Madiwala. Man it was an awesome thing that we did. I clocked 140+ Km/hr and our car just wanted more, but with a pounding heart already i chickened out and even my wife was not looking interested. You know they give a typical look and you know what to do ..hehe.

Reached home at about 1.30 AM or so. Dont remember exactly.

Issues faced with our car, that i could remember:
1) The headlight's high-beam stopped functioning somewhere after Namakkal. I used dim-dip a lot to guage whats in front of our ride. The stock lamps with the normal beam was not long enough. But it started working again the next day, thanks to it.
2) There is some tyre noise as if there is something that cuts through the wind when the tyres rotates on the move. Especially more audible from the left side. Past experience tells me that these could be gravel which gets stuck in the tyre threads. NOt sure through.

Waiting for couple of more KMs or months to take our car for 2nd Free service.

Lastly thanks to all of you for helping us prepare better for this travel.

Chrs
Gopinath
Old 8th November 2010, 11:31   #9
BHPian

Nice writeup LNG.
Do you know where is Sriram mess located in madurai? Is it near to meenakshi amman temple?
We do search for good vegetarian hotels in madurai and always end up in eating either at college house restaurant or Murugan idli shop.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2010, 12:52   #10
LNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Nice writeup LNG.
Do you know where is Sriram mess located in madurai? Is it near to meenakshi amman temple?
We do search for good vegetarian hotels in madurai and always end up in eating either at college house restaurant or Murugan idli shop.

-Ravi
Thanks man. For the mess, the landmark is Sangam Hotel and this place is in Kakka Thoppu street or something similar. And this exactly comes behind New College house if i am not wrong. You can ask anyone there for Sriram Mess.
Old 17th February 2011, 20:51   #11
BHPian

Default Re: Bangalore - Kumbakonam - Thanjavur - Trichy - Madurai - Namakkal - Bangalore

Hi,

Am planning for a trip from Bangalore to mayavaram-thanjavur-mannargudi. Heard thiruvnnamalai road is bad. Any alternat routes please? I have a mart esteem
prabhuferrari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2011, 21:55   #12
BHPian

Default Re: Bangalore - Kumbakonam - Thanjavur - Trichy - Madurai - Namakkal - Bangalore

Thought of few more options

1. Bangalore - krishnagiri - bargur - tirupathur - tvmalai - panruti - mayavaram.

2. Bangalore - krishnagiri - pallikonda- arani(there is a righ after pallikonda to bypass vellore)-villupuram and then on to mayavaram?

Also in return what's th best route from thanjavur? Please advice

I prefer longer routes with good roads than short routes with craters
prabhuferrari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2011, 22:28   #13
Team-BHP Support

Blr-Mayavaram today may be best via Tanjore/Trichy only.

Route:

Blr-Salem-Namakkal-Thurauyur-Trichy-Tanjore-Kumbakonam-Mayavaram.

Dot go via Musiri. Its bad. Use the alternative.
Tanjore can be by-passed via SH22 (which directly takes you to Papanasam).

Route Link

Last but not least:
Also if you are not keen on drive, you can take the Mysore-Mayavaram express. Very convenient!
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2011, 07:43   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
Thought of few more options

1. Bangalore - krishnagiri - bargur - tirupathur - tvmalai - panruti - mayavaram.

2. Bangalore - krishnagiri - pallikonda- arani(there is a righ after pallikonda to bypass vellore)-villupuram and then on to mayavaram?

Also in return what's th best route from thanjavur? Please advice

I prefer longer routes with good roads than short routes with craters
Even the below one would be better
Vellore - Tiruvannamalai - Ulundurpet - Vridachalam - Jayamkondam - Anaikarai - Aduthurai - Mayavaram.
Road Conditions:
BLR- Vellore - Tiruvannamalai - Ulundurpet - Nice 2 Laned SH butter smooth beyond T'Malai
Ulundurpet - Vridachalam is bad for 15 - 20 KMs
Anaikarai - Aduthurai not sure for some 10 kms as it is a SH
Aduthurai - Mayavaram - ok & not so good, SH
My friend took this route to go to Kumbakonam recently from AP through Vellore.

BTW, This is my first post in Team-BHP after my membership has been approved yesterday.
ramanan.skr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2011, 10:19   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
what's th best route from thanjavur? Please advice. I prefer longer routes with good roads than short routes with craters
On Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday [15/16/17 Feb 2011], I drove on this route: Bangalore-Namakkal-Thuraiyur-Trichy-Grand Anicut [Kallanai]-Thiruvaiyaru-Swamimalai-Kumbakonam [NH 7/SH 161/24/NH 45/SH 22] and back. The roads are manageable with a few km of bad stretches between Namakkal and Thuraiyur. SH 22 was good with almost nil traffic at night. From Thanjavur, you can take NH 45 C to reach Kumbakonam/Swamimalai or SH 27 to reach Thiruvaiyaru depending upon your requirement.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 18th February 2011 at 10:25.
J.Ravi is online now   Reply With Quote