Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 21st October 2010, 05:48   #1
BHPian

Default Mumbai - Kanyakumari

Hi,

I and a couple of my friends intend to ride to Kanyakumari on our 2-wheels.
It'll be great if we can get some advice & suggestions for the route.
We'll have 15 days in all to span the entire ride.

Now, we need to be at Kodaikanal from the 3rd-5th Dec 2010. That's where we meet the entire South India gang for an event.
So here are the few options that I've:

Option 1
Goa - Karwar - Mangalore - Kasargod - Kannur - Calicut - Palakad / Coimbatore - Kodaikanal - Madurai - Kanyakumari - Madurai - Pondicherry - Chennai - Vellore - Kolar - Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty - Wayanad - Periya - Madikeri - Hassan - Belur / Halebid - Chikmagalur - Shimoga - Jog Falls - Karwar - Goa.

Option 2
Goa - Dudhsagar (East Goa) - Magod Falls - Sirsi - Jog Falls - Shimoga - Chikmagalur - Bangalore - Vellore - Chennai - Pondicherry - Tiruchchirapapali - Kodaikanal - Madurai - Kanyakumari - Kovalam - Sabrimala - Thekkadi - Munnar - Ooty - Wayanad - Mysore - Madikeri - Mangalore - Udupi - Karwar - Goa.

Now, the challenge is that we'd like to cover most of the places while we are there.
For Eg: - While in Kerela, we are keen to ride through Munnar & Idukki and also relax at Kovallam & Ellepy (Back Waters).

Any suggestion that BHPians can give will be helpful.

Oh! and just before I forget to mention, we'll be riding a "Yezdi".

Godspeed!
oilmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 09:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest a reorientation of the route plan as follows:

Option 1
Goa - Karwar - Mangalore - Kasargod - Kannur - Calicut - Kochi-Munnar-Thekkady-Idukki-Kottayam-Alapuzha-Trivandrum-Kanyakumari-Madurai-Kodaikanal-Dindigul-Pondicherry - Chennai - Vellore - Kolar - Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty - Wayanad - Periya - Madikeri - Hassan - Belur / Halebid - Chikmagalur - Shimoga - Jog Falls - Karwar - Goa.

Option 2
Goa - Dudhsagar (East Goa) - Magod Falls - Sirsi - Jog Falls - Shimoga - Chikmagalur - Bangalore - Vellore - Chennai - Pondicherry - Tiruchchirapapali - Kodaikanal - Madurai - Kanyakumari - Kovalam - Alapuzha- Idukki- Sabrimala - Thekkadi - Munnar - Ooty - Wayanad - Mysore - Madikeri - Mangalore - Udupi - Karwar - Goa.

Doing so many places in 15 days is quite difficult, unless you simply drive through (possible).
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 09:25   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Option 1
Goa - Karwar - Mangalore - Kasargod - Kannur - Calicut - Kochi-Munnar-Thekkady-Idukki-Kottayam-Alapuzha-Trivandrum-Kanyakumari-Madurai-Kodaikanal-Dindigul-Pondicherry - Chennai - Vellore - Kolar - Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty - Wayanad - Periya - Madikeri - Hassan - Belur / Halebid - Chikmagalur - Shimoga - Jog Falls - Karwar - Goa.
@Oilmonkey, I second the above route as it would be a perfect loop & will cover all your intented places.

My choice would be, Chennai-Vellore-Krishnagiri-Hosur-Bangalore(NICE)-Mysore instead of passing via Kolar.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 09:36   #4
BHPian

Firstly nice plans. And both options add up to ~3500 km. Divide by 15 days = 230 km per day. So that sounds cool too.

Option 1: 50% western ghats/coast - more green cover - more pleasing for the eye (atleast for me) and 50% of flat land and can be boring at times (still it depends) on what you like.

Option 2: 60% of western ghats/coast and 40% of the other type. I would prefer this if I ever given a choice and forced to select one of these.

My personal take would be an option 3 wherein in option 1, I would cut out on Chennai/Pondicherry (I know I am from here but still) - these are far-out and eat up lot of driving time and from Bangalore-Krishnagiri come down to Trichy/Madurai area to get into Kodai/Idukki ranges and do a bit of back-waters.

As soon as I read this I thought, go thru NH17, western KA, KL full but then that would be boring as well, a little bit of TN temple-state and flat lands would add flavor to the drive. For me, drives are usually cool when there are tall trees on both edges of the road, greenery starts at the edge of the tar, roads are curvy (ups and downs with left/right swirls) - its like a video game!
jeevmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 07:19   #5
BHPian

Hi,

Thanks everyone for your suggestions & advice.

Hi Mr. H V Kumar,

Sir, do you think this will be difficult to achieve, considering the fact that we're on two wheels?
Any other options for route/re-route that you can give will be of great help.

Godspeed!
Old 25th October 2010, 07:58   #6
Team-BHP Support

For two weeks you should cut down many places. Look at at this way:

1. You will stay for a few days at visiting places.
2. You will take time to drive.
3. The previous two should add up to 2 Weeks

(Sorry for stating the obvious)

If you stay 5 nights at 4 places, its goes down to 10 days. Add 4 days of drive time minimum. That should be a limiting criterion.

If KK is the main, then I suggest you visit minimum places before you hit KK. Then you can plan based on time you have in your hand.

Is Chennai/Kolar a must visit? I see its quite a detour, unlesss you have reasons to go there. If you avoid that, on the return you have host of places to visit.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 10:12   #7
BHPian

Yes, Initially I thought 230 was good, but in a bike it can take a toll, especially on hill roads, 2 lane KL roads. So ampere lets do some back calculation. 150 km max / day * 15 = 2250 km and I laid out a shorter route on GM (see below) and I see 3900 km already!!! Wowoow! oilmonkey: Are you starting from Mumbai or from Goa? Btw, whats the group like - veg/non-veg? Rice-based-food/Parotha (southern-style) is the major food unless you hit the three big KL cities. Depending on that you could tailor the trip a little. From Kodai-Madurai cut into Kerala at Thenmala-Punalur area and then into Idukki hills/Alleppey back-waters and then north bound. I mean cut-down on Trivandrum-Kanyakumari and cut down on Chennai-PY and concentrate on the KL beaches/hills with detours into Kodai and Ooty (on the way to Mysore.) Do a little but give some time for enjoying it.

Mumbai, Maharashtra, India to Mumbai, Maharashtra, India - Google Maps
Old 25th October 2010, 19:29   #8
BHPian

Al right, thanks AMP & JEEV.
Lets see what we can work out on the route & let me get back to you guys on this..
Well we are a bunch of riders starting from Mumbai who love twisties and can eat pretty much anything!
Old 25th October 2010, 19:50   #9
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Be adviced that the Bhatkal stretch is at its worst in a decade now. It was a pain to motor from Honnavara to Baindoor. If you are biking down, I's suggest an alternate route of Honnavara - Jog falls - Sagara - Thirthahalli - Agumbe - Hebri - Karkala - Mangalore instead of Honnavara - Baindur - Kundapur - Udupi - Mangalore.
Though you guys would be on bikes, the 25 km stretch around Bhatkal is a terrible. Don't think that would improve by dec. But watch this space for updates.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2010, 09:16   #10
BHPian

Default Last bhaav - boni ka time hai

Mumbai, Maharashtra, India to Trivandrum, Kerala 695001, India - Google Maps

Approx 2700 km from Mumbai to Kanyakumari. So it will fit into the 200 km per day for 13 days. Leave alone the last 2 days for a train journey to Mumbai on the Cape-Mumbai express (non-Konkan route - 2 full days) or take the train from Trivandrum - Netravathi/Hapa/Gandhidham (konkan route - much shorter - 33 hrs.) Enough time at the start station to pack your bike (its done all the hard-work for 13 days and you too) and put it in the brake van and relax, write your trip details/photos/chat/read/upload to team-bhp etc. Paise nahi le raha hun!
Old 28th November 2010, 13:46   #11
BHPian

So, how is this coming up? When are you planning to start? Maybe already started. Please update.