Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 21st October 2010, 16:09   #1

Default Road Trip - Mumbai to Dehradun and back via Bhuj

Guys,

I have finally managed to get 2 weeks off from work and planning to do a solo road trip. Car would be Honda City 2006 and I would be heading from Mumbai to Dehradun stay put for 3 days before I head back to Mumbai via Bhuj.

Have kind of have planned out an itinerary for Mumbai to Dehradun:
Day 1: Start early (4AM) from Mumbai to Ajmer on NH8 with night halt (~1,050 km)
Day 2: Start from Ajmer to Dehradun on NH8, detour to NH71 for Rewari, Rohtak, Panipat, Muffarnagar (~650Km)
Day 3: Local Stay
Day 4: Local Stay
Day 5: Local Stay
Day 6: Dehradun to Udaipur (Same route as above)
Day 7: Udaipur to Khavda (SH 27)
Day 8: Local Stay
Day 9: Local Stay
Day 10: Local Stay
Day 11: Bhuj to Mumbai via NH8A and then NH8
Day 12: Reserve & Recovery

Feedback, suggestions and update on road conditions would be appreciated.

Regards,
Sundeep
--------------
sparate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 17:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

Sundeep, your drive plan is very aggressive. Unless you are a frequent highway traveller and superfast driver, extremely difficult to do it this way.

Bombay-Ajmer is extremely difficult, but possible if you go off NH8 from Udaipur and goes via Chittorgarh, Bhilwara and Nasirabad to Ajmer.

The route to Dehra Dun is the worst possible, has very bad roads. I suggest you go via Delhi, Ghaziabad and Meerut. It is going to be difficult to navigate UP traffic by day.

Bhuj to Bombay is also an aggressive drive, needs early morning start, limited halts and superfast driving. You must ideally come via Ahmedabad (instead of the shorter route via Badogara, Tarapur & Baroda) to make better speeds.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 17:42   #3

Might just take a break in Udaipur instead of Ajmer and probably add a night break in Meerut.

Thanks for your inputs.
sparate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2013, 12:31   #4
BHPian

Default Mumbai to Bhuj

Hello all,

I have never done this route before, so need your experienced advice.

We plan to cover this in one day of driving....leave early in the morning (5ish) from Navi Mumbai and reach Bhuj by late evening.

The current route research...I have done is:
  • Take NH8
  • Avoid NH8 bypass of Ankleswar-Bharuch & go through the towns & Golden Bridge.
  • Back on NH8 to Baroda
  • Baroda to Ahmedabad on the expressway.
  • From Ahmedabad take SH17 towards Dhrangadhra
  • Then onto NH8A at Khirai until Bhachau
  • Then onto Bhachau Bhuj highway
Need your help & tips on the following:
  • It this possible on a 12-13 hours drive? We have 3 drivers in the family, but would not want to drive at night.
  • How do I avoid entering Ahmedabad city?
  • Any alternate/better route to Bhuj?
  • Good pit stops for Diesel, Food etc
  • Any decent family place to stay for a night, our package in the tent city (Dhorodo) starts next day at 12:00 noon, so this could be in Bhuj or the surrounding areas.
Thanks for all your help.
indusboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2014, 09:03   #5
BHPian

Default Re: Road Trip - Mumbai to Dehradun and back via Bhuj

Did Mumbai-Bhuj in the last week of December...left Thane at 6 am and reached Bhuj at 7 pm. With stops on the way for fuel & lunch. The Vasai Creek bridge was under maintenance and the traffic was being let one side at a time, so was held up for about 10 minutes on my way to Bhuj and 30 minutes on my way back.

Took the S.P. Ring Road exit towards Rajkot to avoid entering Ahmedabad, did a fuel stop at a HPCL pump and a nice Gujarati Thali lunch at Sarvottam a little ahead of the pump.

Per my research I tool the Sanand-Sarkhej road to Malia instead of NH8A. And man was the highway good....4 lane super smooth with very less traffic, yes tolls at approx 50Kms each but you could really let it rip.

Just before Malia we hit NH8A. The road is NH quality but is not super smooth. As planned we took the Bhachau-Bhuj highway, this is under repairs and the first 10Kms or so the road is really bad, but gets better after sometime. My recomendation is to avoid the Bhachau-Bhuj highway until it is repaired. For now you can continue on NH8A until Anjar and then take the road towards Bhuj.

Hope this helps fellow travelers.
indusboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2014, 14:53   #6
BHPian

Hello BHPIANS!!
Being a working couple in completely different fields/industries means that me and my better half have to plan our annual vacations well in advance, actually that's an understatement, we plan our trips more than a year in advance - as we have to apply for leaves, decide the costing, plan the savings required, etc! Phew!!
My heart was set on a road trip to Leh-Ladakh in August-September 2015, however, high work-load for my wife at that time meant I had to cancel this trip as a vacation was possible only in October and a road trip to Leh-Ladakh doesn't seem feasible in October as per my research (please correct me if I'm wrong)
So we now started to look for other options for a road trip!
Options:
1. Kerala -- Both of us have been there already - not a road trip, but not worth it we felt!
2. Goa -- Road trip done already in 2012
3. Gujarat (Kutch) -- Too hot in October!
4. Rajasthan -- Again, too hot!
5. Kolkata -- Road trip done to-and-fro several years ago, so nothing exciting!
6. Other options in South India -- nothing seemed interesting to us.

So here we were, wondering where to go, when a friend invited me to his brother's wedding at Dehradun in Feb 2015. Even though attending the wedding wasn't possible for me, the thought of visiting Dehradun and nearby places struck my road trip keeda!
Discussed this plan with wifey and it sounded good to her too, October first week seemed like the best time. Yay!
So here we go!

Road-trip from Mumbai to Dehradun confirmed for October 2015 so need help in finalizing the route and also get inputs on the feasibility of this trip. You suggestions / feedback and inputs are most welcome!

So here are the details:

My car: Ford Figo Titanium Petrol 2012 Model
Number of occupants: 2 (me and wifey)
Tentative start & end date: 2nd October to 17th October 2015

The Plan:

Day 1: Mumbai - Udaipur: 708Kms
Day 2: Udaipur - Agra: 659Kms (via Jaipur)
Day 3: Visit Taj-Mahal in the morning and then proceed towards Delhi: 231Kms
Day 4: Delhi - Dehradun: 237Kms
Day 5: Spend in Dehradun and vicinity
Day 6: Dehradun - Nainital: 274Kms
Day 7: Spend in Nainital and vicinity
Day 8: Nainital - Ambala: 386Kms
Day 9: Ambala - Jaipur: 458Kms
Day 10: Jaipur - Nathdwara: 351Kms
Day 11: Nathdwara - Ahmedabad: 308Kms
Day 12: Ahmedabad - Mumbai: 508Kms

Total distance to be covered: 4124Kms

I've got plenty of time and have therefore decided to cover places at a leisurely pace. No issues if the trip gets extended by a couple of days!

Here are a few questions / concerns I've got; help requested!

1. For Mumbai-Udaipur, Google Maps suggests taking the exit from NE1 at Anand onto NH59/SH188 via Modasa (see attachment 1) - I'm not sure about this route (quality of roads in Gujarat is excellent so hopefully that should not be a concern)
Will this route be feasible or should I continue on the NE1 till Ahmedabad and then join the NH8 via Himmatnagar? (see attachment 2) (This one is longer, with risk of traffic in Ahmedabad)

2. For Udaipur-Agra, the default route suggested by Google Maps is Udaipur-Bhilwara-Ajmer-Jaipur-Bharatpur-Agra (see attachment 3) whereas I also see an alternative route which is Udaipur-Sawai Madhopur-Gangapur City-Agra (see attachment 4). Which one of these routes will be better?

3. Suggestions / recommendations for accommodation and dining options on the way and at the below places would also be appreciated!! Looking for sasta-sundar-tikao places, nothing fancy!
- Ahmedabad
- Udaipur
- Agra
- Dehradun
- Nainital

I might seem crazy / paranoid to start a thread for a trip planned in October next year (that's like more than a year from now!!), but that's how I plan my annual vacations - I get really excited about the planning bit!
Thanks for reading thru!
Attached Thumbnails

Attached Images
nishantbhatia84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2014, 15:18   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantbhatia84 View Post
Hello BHPIANS!!

The Plan:

Day 1: Mumbai - Udaipur: 708Kms
Day 2: Udaipur - Agra: 659Kms (via Jaipur)
Day 3: Visit Taj-Mahal in the morning and then proceed towards Delhi: 231Kms
Day 4: Delhi - Dehradun: 237Kms
Day 5: Spend in Dehradun and vicinity
Day 6: Dehradun - Nainital: 274Kms
Day 7: Spend in Nainital and vicinity
Day 8: Nainital - Ambala: 386Kms
Day 9: Ambala - Jaipur: 458Kms
Day 10: Jaipur - Nathdwara: 351Kms
Day 11: Nathdwara - Ahmedabad: 308Kms
Day 12: Ahmedabad - Mumbai: 508Kms

Total distance to be covered: 4124Kms
Wow Man, that's some advance planning I couldn't even plan a month in advance or even if I did There's no guarantee that everything goes as planned.

Well, why don't you do
Mumbai-Udaipur-Agra-Nainital-Dehradun-Delhi-Jaipur
only if Ambala can be skipped, otherwise go to Nainital from Agra and from there to Dehradun which is closer to Ambala.
Ajitsingh208 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2014, 16:37   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajitsingh208 View Post
Well, why don't you do
Mumbai-Udaipur-Agra-Nainital-Dehradun-Delhi-Jaipur
only if Ambala can be skipped, otherwise go to Nainital from Agra and from there to Dehradun which is closer to Ambala.
-- Agra to Nainital is an excellent idea - my only concern is the roads & route - I've got no idea about their condition.
-- Nainital to Dehradun and then to Ambala / Delhi is better as per your suggestion.
nishantbhatia84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2014, 17:31   #9
BHPian

On an earlier visit to Nainital around 4-5 years ago, I had stayed at The Grand Hotel. I recommend this place based on my experience. It is centrally located, right in the market, but at the same time away from the noise as there is a short steep driveway to access the place. First time, almost missed the entrance.

Its got an old world charm. The only drawback was that they did not have a functioning restaurant and meals had to be pre-ordered. But this was easily overcome due to the restaurants and dhabas in the market accessible by a 5 minute walk.

The hotel has parking space and a great view of the lake, especially from the common balcony (passage) outside the rooms on the first floor. Spectacular views in the night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantbhatia84 View Post
Hello BHPIANS!!

3. Suggestions / recommendations for accommodation and dining options on the way and at the below places would also be appreciated!! Looking for sasta-sundar-tikao places, nothing fancy!
- Ahmedabad
- Udaipur
- Agra
- Dehradun
- Nainital
risga is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2017, 13:35   #10

Default Dehradun - Mumbai - Goa - Bangalore - Return

Dear Reader,

A friend of mine and I plan on just setting off next month on a cross-country road trip without any fixed plans or set-in-stone destinations.

We start in Dehra Dun, and plan on taking the route outlined in the next paragraph. Our ride is a 2012 Chevy Cruze AT. We're two young 25 year old professionals at a cross-roads in our careers (so if you have an adventurous recommendation, do not hesitate).

Our basic plan is thus: Dehra - Panipat - Jaipur - Udaipur - Ahemdabad - Mumbai - Nasik (Sula Vinyards) - Pune - Mahad - Ratnagiri - Panjim - Hubli - Bangalore - Mysore - Coorg- Bangalore - Kurnool - Hyderabad - Osmanabad - Aurangabad - Indore - Bhopal - Khajuraho - Jhansi - Gwalior - Agra - Delhi - Dehra.

What say? The above sounds like 25 to 30 day trip, semi-planned. We'll be booking hotels 12-24 hours in advance, and eating on the road. Night-time driving will be restricted to urban areas only.

We've got google maps as the primary GPS, and a physical road map of India.

The point is to explore the country and do a little bit of soul searching along the way.

Anything we should look out for? Any beautiful deviations? Any must-sees or should-really-avoids?

If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. So as giants of the travel scene in India, let me know your thoughts.

Cheers,
Abhilaksh
abhilaksh is offline   Reply With Quote