Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 11th January 2013, 21:42   #16
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Pune-Madikeri-Hassan/CKM-Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik_rao View Post
Thanks to Parag, Addy, Ranjit for your inputs. This is what makes Team-BHP forums the best place for Road Trip advice! I will most likely start Friday night, though I still cant find a good place to stay around Satara. I will leave home around 9 PM, so I expect to cross Pune by 11 PM. Maybe get to Satara around 1230.
Satara has some decent hotels. But the only problem is that the NH4 bypasses the city by quite a distance. You will need to drive at least 5-6 km
to get to main city. Also the first Satara city exit from Pune side of NH4, passes through in a jiffy. You need to be careful about that.
(In fact I was in there 3-4 days back! )

Trip advisor lists some decent places in there.

Last edited by ampere : 11th January 2013 at 21:52.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2013, 10:56   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik_rao
Thanks to Parag, Addy, Ranjit for your inputs. This is what makes Team-BHP forums the best place for Road Trip advice! I will most likely start Friday night, though I still cant find a good place to stay around Satara. I will leave home around 9 PM, so I expect to cross Pune by 11 PM. Maybe get to Satara around 1230.

Ranjit, I see from your map that you took the forest route from CKM to Tarikere. Is it not a solower route with a ghat and stuff?
Mahendra Executive at satara is the only option on nh4.if you can push on till kolhapur plenty of options there
ranjitp1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2013, 17:28   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
From Bhadravati to CKM, there are 2 routes, one via Kadur, and the other turns off at Tarikere. Which of the two do you suggest?
Karthik, the Tarikere route is shorter but it has a lot of curvy roads. Kadur route too is good and will probably be faster.

If you can tell me where exactly you are staying in Chikmagalur (if not in the town), I can try to guide you directly.

The only decent roads from the NH4 towards NH206 are the Harihar-Shimoga road and Chitradurga-Shimoga road. You can try the Chitradurga-Channagiri-Bhadravathi road. But I don't know road condition between Channagiri & Bhadravathi
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2013, 18:21   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Karthik, the Tarikere route is shorter but it has a lot of curvy roads. Kadur route too is good and will probably be faster.

Addy,

How is the Rannebennur-Honnali-Shimoga road? Because if its good, one can prolong the drive on 4-lanae.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2013, 18:38   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

Addy,

How is the Rannebennur-Honnali-Shimoga road? Because if its good, one can prolong the drive on 4-lanae.
Sometime in November, I had put this query in another thread. One person had replied that the Ranebennur-Honnali-Shimoga road was pothole ridden, hence I did not suggest this route.

To prolong the NH drive, he can go upto Chitradurga and turn right towards Channagiri.
Old 13th January 2013, 08:47   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige

Sometime in November, I had put this query in another thread. One person had replied that the Ranebennur-Honnali-Shimoga road was pothole ridden, hence I did not suggest this route.

To prolong the NH drive, he can go upto Chitradurga and turn right towards Channagiri.
From what I last heard from somebody in CKM,Honnali route is still bad
ranjitp1 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2013, 14:10   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
From what I last heard from somebody in CKM,Honnali route is still bad
Chikmagalur-Kadur-Birur-Shimoga route is in excellent shape especially after the Kadur-Chikmagalur road was completely asphalted last year. Even otherwise, there was Kaimara-Lingadahalli option to reach Shimoga which was always a very good alternative right from the time Kadur option was bad. So Ideally, that leaves with 80 kms stretch between Shimoga-Harihar which I don't have much clue on its condition

Last edited by paragsachania : 14th January 2013 at 14:18.
paragsachania is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2013, 21:31   #23
BHPian

Thanks to Parag, Ampere, Addy and Ranjit. What I get from your inputs is this:
1. Take either the Harihar-Shimoga route or the Chitradurga-Shimoga route.
2. From Shimoga, go via Birur, Karur to CKM.

I plan to go to one of the Tata Coffee estates, not sure which one.

I will look up Mahendra Executive and Hotels in Kolhapur. I will probably have to leave earlier if I plan to sleep in Kolhapur.

Any suggestions on Hiriyur-Hosadurga-Birur-Kadur? Or Chitradurga-Holalkere-Hosadurga-Birur-Kadur? Or Davangere-Channagiri-Birur-Kadur (SH76)

Last edited by karthik_rao : 14th January 2013 at 21:46. Reason: More questions/options I discovered.
karthik_rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2013, 19:46   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks to Parag, Ampere, Addy and Ranjit. What I get from your inputs is this:
1. Take either the Harihar-Shimoga route or the Chitradurga-Shimoga route.

Any suggestions on Hiriyur-Hosadurga-Birur-Kadur? Or Chitradurga-Holalkere-Hosadurga-Birur-Kadur? Or Davangere-Channagiri-Birur-Kadur (SH76)
1. I would prefer Harihar-Shimoga than the Chitradurga-Shimoga route for the simple reason that it adds almost 100 kms to the journey (overall).

Regarding the Hiriyur-Kadur route, I would suggest you avoid the roads in this region. They have been mostly bad for the better part of the last decade. Except for the Hiriyur-Huliyar-Chikkanayakanahalli-K B Cross road which is in very good shape, most other roads are bad. You should be fine if you stick to Shimoga-Birur-Kadur-Chikmagalur. Roads are good and you can have a quick journey.
Old 19th January 2013, 09:44   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
1. I would prefer Harihar-Shimoga than the Chitradurga-Shimoga route for the simple reason that it adds almost 100 kms to the journey (overall).
How is the condition of the Harihar-Shimoga road?
Of the 2 routes from Honnali to Shimoga, which one is to be preferred?
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2013, 10:25   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post

How is the condition of the Harihar-Shimoga road?
Of the 2 routes from Honnali to Shimoga, which one is to be preferred?
I have heard from a friend, who travels from Hassan to Davanagere frequently, that it is in good shape. He takes Hassan-Chikmagalur-Kadur-Shimoga-Harihar-Davanagere route.
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2013, 15:36   #27

Question Re: Pune-Madikeri-Hassan/CKM-Mumbai

Hi all,

I plan to undertake the following trip this Diwali Vacation and would appreciate any or all the advise I can get. I (38) will be driving with my wife (32) and two kids (5 &1). All dates are specific. Therefore, please also advice if there are any goings-around during this time which would hamper smooth passage.

Nov. 1 : Mumbai to Chitradurg / Hiriyur - 1000 km - 12 hrs (The better option for overnight stay)
Nov. 2 : Hiriyur-KB Cross- Belluru-Pandavpura Cross-Elivala-Hunsur-Nagahole-Tholpetty-Virajpet - 350 km - 6 hrs
Nov. 3 : In and around Madikeri / Virajpet
Nov. 4 : In and around Madikeri / Virajpet
Nov. 5 : Madikeri / Virajpet - Kasragod - Belgaum / Bhatkal ???
Nov. 6 : Goa and ... backto Mumbai

I have done Goa-Mumbai numerous times since 1990, mostly by NH 17 by NH 4 in recent times (NH17 - Nightmare til Vadkal, and the Vikrams till Mahad, beautiful sights albeit thereafter - But very tiring - Twice via Sankleshwar {OKAY ROADS) - Once via Belgaum {TERRIBLE}. Thinking of doing it via Chorla this time.
sdesilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2013, 17:00   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdesilva View Post
Nov. 1 : Mumbai to Chitradurg / Hiriyur - 1000 km - 12 hrs (The better option for overnight stay)
Makes sense to stay at Chitradurga itself at Hotel Naveen Regency.
http://www.naveenregency.com/contact.php

Hiriyur is another 38 kms away from Naveen and will take less than 30 minutes to drive.
paragsachania is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2013, 18:04   #29

I have stayed at Chitradurga 2 years back when I did a similar trip to Ooty. Can't recall the name of the hotel though. It was a budget hotel just off the service road on the west. It had stilt parking for about 6 to 8 cars, if I recall correctly.
sdesilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2013, 17:17   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdesilva View Post
Nov. 2 : Hiriyur-KB Cross- Belluru-Pandavpura Cross-Elivala-Hunsur-Nagahole-Tholpetty-Virajpet - 350 km - 6 hrs
Nov. 3 : In and around Madikeri / Virajpet
Nov. 4 : In and around Madikeri / Virajpet
Nov. 5 : Madikeri / Virajpet - Kasragod - Belgaum / Bhatkal ???
Nov. 6 : Goa and ... backto Mumbai

I am going to drive down from Pune to Club Mahindra, Coorg in the mid of November.
I compared your route with the default route that Google suggests. There is a difference of 136 KM if I keep the same starting and ending points in both the routes.

I can imagine that some parts of the route from Harihar - Shimoga - Chikmaglur - Madikeri will be bad (based on historical data - meaning local corporator is not active).

But covering 136 KM easily translates to 2 hours even on the main NH4.
So, I imagine with the diversions, this additional 136KM takes around 2.5-3 hours.
On bad roads, I would say, due to second gear driving, around 2 hours extra would be needed when speeds are say below 20 kmph.

So, is your decision to go through the longer route based on road condition or something else?

There is another route, where you take diversion from just before Hubli, and then move towards Kalghatgi - Murudeshwar - Udupi - Mangalore - Puttur - Madikeri.

The road towards Murudeshwar was horrible, exactly 12 months ago. I don't know the current condition. Perhaps around 30 KM was really bad.

This overall route adds about 50 KM to the total mileage.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote