Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 17th March 2010, 00:04   #1846
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
well if you feel going on bike i wont be able to gauge properly then how can one get any idea traveling in bus especially during the night
even i rode down on 6th morning from Bangalore....

as mentioned in my earlier post last 4 years i have traveled plenty of times in my car and also in my bike so my analysis is based on my experience.

however in this stretch one has to be slow....

anyhow it is left for the people who decide to take this road or not i just have tried to my feedback...
+1. Yes, we all know shiradi is bad. But i also feel, it is bit blown out of proportions. It is nothing like no one has to venture in that direction. We can do shiradi, if we can spend some time on these roads. I too have been more than 10+ times in the past one year, and all the time have taken the shiradi.
JMaruru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2010, 00:46   #1847
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
+1. Yes, we all know shiradi is bad. But i also feel, it is bit blown out of proportions. It is nothing like no one has to venture in that direction. We can do shiradi, if we can spend some time on these roads. I too have been more than 10+ times in the past one year, and all the time have taken the shiradi.
+1 Perfect. Every route has its share of troubles. Bad roads really aren't as big a problem as traffic jams are - a la 2007. I remember getting stuck for 6 hours in middle of nowhere with not even a drop of water in sight. Even then, the road surface as such was not as bad as some of the other roads in the state are today - especially in the mining districts. Just drive once from Hospet to Gooty .

@Kadri, remember that smaller vehicles are a LOT more menuverable than buses are and more importantly the bus drivers care a zilch and run right over the worst of the potholes. So the impression you get about the roads is usually a bit exagerrated in a bus.

However I would avoid Shiradi if I'm driving at night - that too between 2 and 4 am when the buses are crossing. They, especially the Volvos, are driven by complete maniacs who have zero consideration for anybody's life. I am stunned by the kind of risks they take and later stop for hours for tea!
bullinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2010, 07:28   #1848
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
+1. We can do shiradi, if we can spend some time on these roads. I too have been more than 10+ times in the past one year, and all the time have taken the shiradi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullinb View Post
I remember getting stuck for 6 hours in middle of nowhere with not even a drop of water in sight.
JMaruru, just curious to know, for an average speed driver in a four wheeler, how long does it take to cover the 38 kms ghat stretch (assuming no major jams)?

Bullinb, I too got stuck last year for a full 3 hours in a messy jam because of an oil tanker that had got stuck! It's a good idea to stock up a lot of water, food (and newspapers/magazines) while on this stretch
mooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2010, 10:56   #1849
BHPian

Hi Guys, Returned from udupi yesterday evening.The Entire stretch till agumbe is awesome.The agumbe ghat roads are quite good consiring the fate of shiradi and charmadi.Once you descend you will get 10 km of Not-so-bad but not-so-good-either stretch.Then its again smooth sail till udupi.During return it took 7 hours ( Yahwanthpura juntcion ) to cover 450 Km in my maruti 800 :-).
@400Kph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2010, 11:50   #1850
Senior - BHPian

Actually the present state of NH48 is very promising, Blore to to Kunigal is great if you take Magadi, Kunigal to Belur cross also very decent considering the 4lane work but in this stretch one cant find any issues just that needs to be little easy on speed as there are diversions...after Belur cross till Hassan the roads are good and from Hassan bypass till Sakleshpura its is very good only the last part near sakleshpura it gets a bit rough ... Shiradi about 70% is been worked and the remaining 30% is bad but very manageable... Neliadi till BC road again the road gets good!

So i guess NH48 is in good shape....!
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2010, 12:12   #1851
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually the present state of NH48 is very promising, Blore to to Kunigal is great if you take Magadi, Kunigal to Belur cross also very decent considering the 4lane work but in this stretch one cant find any issues just that needs to be little easy on speed as there are diversions...after Belur cross till Hassan the roads are good and from Hassan bypass till Sakleshpura its is very good only the last part near sakleshpura it gets a bit rough ... Shiradi about 70% is been worked and the remaining 30% is bad but very manageable... Neliadi till BC road again the road gets good!

So i guess NH48 is in good shape....!
I came down from Hassan today morning on a practically empty NH48, so I can vouch for the Hassan-Bangalore section. The entire stretch is good, even though the road work is going on.

The only rough sections are
1. A couple of Kms before the road work starts.
2. a km or so from Turuvekere diversion till Yediyur.
3. The start of Kunigal by pass till the Indo-Spanish foods factory through Kunigal town. The 4 lane road will bypass Kunigal town completely.

btw, there was a lot of cattle traffic on the Kunigal-Magadi road since there was a big cattle fair going on in Magadi.
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2010, 12:14   #1852
BHPian

I made an eventful trip to B'lore by car, yesterday. We started at about 11AM from M'lore, and reached Sakleshpur by 2PM. Stopped for lunch break at Ossoor restaturant, by which time the weather changed from a hot summer day to brisk winds. We started off only to be greeted by heavy rain, wind, ice flakes (yes ), and falling tree branches, making driving near impossible. By the time we started off again, after parking by the kerb, we got to know the road ahead had been blocked by a huge fallen tree, and the convoy of cars, buses, trucks returned to a nearby village to take a detour around this place. The unexpected country side trip was a good change, and we were greeted by curious villagers who had possibly not seen such traffic pass by their villages before :P. The wait and the detour cost us about 1.3 hrs of extra travel time. We then took the Magadi Road diversion and reached home by 715PM.
dkamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2010, 14:01   #1853
Distinguished - BHPian

I also took a detour because of the same tree and it took me 45 mins and 20kms extra...I had left our estate at 3:30 and reached sakleshpur by 4:10. at then after ballupete, a procession of trucks stood on the road and we had to take a detour.

The detour again had a bad news with a tanker fallen on the road and we had to search for another road.

I should mention my thanks to a taxi (Omni) driver who seemed to be a localite and took our two cars(M800 and swift) through some interior roads which was a mixture of estate roads and village roads. The confidence with which he took us scared me a bit though with a lot of filmy kidnap scenes crossing my mind

On the secound and final roads, i came across atleast 3 fallen trees but luckily for us they were small and we could go past them easily.

It was a good experience and i terribly missed an SUV but at the same time our two small cars (rather 3) performed good enough.

Heard that there were detour signs put up later by local villager to help drivers.
Attached Thumbnails
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-detour.jpg  

hemanth.anand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2010, 23:56   #1854
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
JMaruru, just curious to know, for an average speed driver in a four wheeler, how long does it take to cover the 38 kms ghat stretch (assuming no major jams)?
If you can spend say, one and half hours on the shiradi stretch, you should come out good. I usually leave from b'lore in the early hours, and would be hitting the shiradi stretch around 10ish.
JMaruru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2010, 10:38   #1855
Senior - BHPian

Will be driving to bangalore tomorrow, have some queries...

1. Since i need to get to Marathalli, should i go via Magadi and connect to Nice and then to Hosur road?

2. I plan to start early around 5am as i intend to reach Mangalore by 12, is Magadi road safe to take in early hours? and normally take Hebal -Bel road and then to ring road and connect to Magadi road...is it better for me to go via Hosur - Nice 0 Magadi road road?
Old 18th March 2010, 12:06   #1856
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Since i need to get to Marathalli, should i go via Magadi and connect to Nice and then to Hosur road?
This road will be longer to reach towards marathally, but you may save some time
Quote:
2. I plan to start early around 5am as i intend to reach Mangalore by 12, is Magadi road safe to take in early hours? and normally take Hebal -Bel road and then to ring road and connect to Magadi road...is it better for me to go via Hosur - Nice 0 Magadi road road?
No issues during that time...
But Magadi road starting(after ring road ) is in pathetic condition. say for 2 kms, but thereon it's in very good shape.
If you are starting very early better to take this route.
Marathally - Old airport Rd - Majestic - Magadi Rd. More straight rd.
sushrutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2010, 12:10   #1857
Senior - BHPian

Yea, Via ring road the there is a bad patch and also confusing. last time i took the flyover and went straight had to turn back . we need to take the left road just before that flyover...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
This road will be longer to reach towards marathally, but you may save some time

No issues during that time...
But Magadi road starting(after ring road ) is in pathetic condition. say for 2 kms, but thereon it's in very good shape.
If you are starting very early better to take this route.
Marathally - Old airport Rd - Majestic - Magadi Rd. More straight rd.
Old 18th March 2010, 12:12   #1858
BHPian

Quote:
I would suggest Magadi road - NICE - Bannerghatta road - Silkboard - Marathhalli. I feel going all the way up to E-city is a waste. BG road would have sparse traffic so early in the morning.

Quote:
Yes. I have driven between 2am - 5am many times on Magadi road and it is quite safe. I usually prefer BG road - NICE - Magadi road. Magadi road is not in a good shape after NICE junction towards the city.
bullinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2010, 13:05   #1859
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullinb View Post
I would suggest Magadi road - NICE - Bannerghatta road - Silkboard - Marathhalli. I feel going all the way up to E-city is a waste. BG road would have sparse traffic so early in the morning.
Also its not worth taking the detour on BG to NICE road during dark. You can hit potholes and can cause serious damage to your vehicle.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2010, 13:24   #1860
Senior - BHPian

Two questions.
How do I get into Magadi Road from Majestic?
Are there any good restaurants with clean rest rooms on the way to Shimoga-Kollur?
vasoo is offline   Reply With Quote