Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2011, 17:03   #3271
BHPian

re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartikk View Post
Just to keep the thread updated for road condition to Kundapura. I drove via NH 206 till Shimoga, the road is good, there are patches which are bouncy but one can do 80kmph plus. I've attached a pic for everyones benefit. I was adventurous, my folly, please take the green road, thats currently the best i.e. go from Shimoga - Thirthahalli - Koppa- Someshwar(there is a nice idly joint just after you get down agumbe ghat, its yum!) -Siddapur.
I am confused. you took green route or blue route? Photo represent which part of the segment? By your post I understand its between Bangalore ~ Shimoga!

Why from Someshwara you go to halady , Siddapura and then to Kundapura? From Halady you can reach directly reach Kundapura (via Koteshwara or Basrur).
Old 26th April 2011, 18:11   #3272
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
For timekeepers, I left Bangalore on the long weekend Friday 22nd April 5:30am reached Kundapura dot 1:30pm including 20mins power breakfast. Total time 8 hrs, total distance from my parking to my relatives home was 476km
Any specific reason for taking such a long winding route?

The following route is only 425kms: Bengaluru, Karnataka to Kundapura, Karnataka - Google Maps
Old 26th April 2011, 18:17   #3273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
I am confused. you took green route or blue route? Photo represent which part of the segment? By your post I understand its between Bangalore ~ Shimoga!

Why from Someshwara you go to halady , Siddapura and then to Kundapura? From Halady you can reach directly reach Kundapura (via Koteshwara or Basrur).
I used the blue route, but suggest the green arrow marking, the last arrow was unwanted or should be pointing towards Kundapur, from Halady hit Basrur and then Kundapur thats correct & good road.

The pic is somewhere before getting down the ghat section inbetween Hosangadi and Yadur.
kartikk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2011, 18:20   #3274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Any specific reason for taking such a long winding route?

The following route is only 425kms: Bengaluru, Karnataka to Kundapura, Karnataka - Google Maps
I started from Electronic City - Nice road - to reach NH4, guess I spent my extra 40-50km there.

BTW the route that you attached is it possible in any non Hummer H3 type vehicle? till Chikmagalore I know its driveable, but cutting across Bhadra WILDlife Sanctuary?

Last edited by kartikk : 26th April 2011 at 18:42.
Old 26th April 2011, 18:48   #3275
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
BTW the route that you attached is it possible in any non Hummer H3 type vehicle? till Chikmagalore I know its driveable, but cutting across Bhadra WILDlife Sanctuary?
I did that in my 2 day old i10 AT two months back. So, yeah. It is in pretty good shape.

CKM-Aldur-Balehonnur-Jayapura-Sringeri-Agumbe is a proper road, any hatch easily do it.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2011, 18:51   #3276
BHPian

Quote:
I did that in my 2 day old i10 AT two months back. So, yeah. It is in pretty good shape.

CKM-Aldur-Balehonnur-Jayapura-Sringeri-Agumbe is a proper road, any hatch easily do it.
Oh cool, then I should attempt to do it sometime before the heavy rains begin.
Old 27th April 2011, 09:15   #3277
BHPian

Quote:
I used the blue route, but suggest the green arrow marking, the last arrow was unwanted or should be pointing towards Kundapur, from Halady hit Basrur and then Kundapur thats correct & good road.

The pic is somewhere before getting down the ghat section inbetween Hosangadi and Yadur.
Now I understand. The bus route is worse than stated in the picture. As i stated in my previous post, between Hulikal and Basrur was worst. Is it patched now? In Jan when I took this route I couldn't travel more than 20kmph! As you put it is adventures!

Quote:

+1. Road via Balehonnur , Sriengeri Agumbe is bets route to Kundapura. Its full of greenary (not sure in summer), You have plenty of shades, very less traffic. It was in better state even in peak monsoon. Only point is its too much twist and turns. So if you are going with elders and children, you may need to slowdown! This road from Nice road entrance PESIT to Shastri park Kundapur is 440km! Google shows 417km though!
Old 27th April 2011, 10:40   #3278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
I should attempt to do it sometime before the heavy rains begin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
+1. Road via Balehonnur , Sriengeri Agumbe is bets route to Kundapura. Its full of greenary (not sure in summer), You have plenty of shades, very less traffic. It was in better state even in peak monsoon. !
Right, It's in best possible condition as of now. Most of the road has been relaid n re tarred.
Just one scary hump before the Jenubailu bridge. Rest is in superb condition.
I had taken this route last friday till Agumbe

Last edited by sushrutha : 27th April 2011 at 10:41.
Old 28th April 2011, 19:03   #3279
BHPian

how is the condition of the road from mangalore to udupi? Too many potholes or is it a smooth ride.
This time around I am staying in mangalore and will have to commute to udupi a few times.
Old 28th April 2011, 23:23   #3280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_blore View Post
how is the condition of the road from mangalore to udupi? Too many potholes or is it a smooth ride.
This time around I am staying in mangalore and will have to commute to udupi a few times.
M'lore - Udupi, the road conditions are good all the way, but there is work going on for 4 lane, so watch out for few diversions.
Old 29th April 2011, 12:51   #3281
Senior - BHPian

To add to Jmarurs info.

Avoid peak hours and night driving in this stretch.

Also people coming using BC road flyover(i,e Blore-Mlore) be cautious while you ascend as the intail part of the ramp was not completed at the side, though i dont know the current state. 2weeks back it was not completed and the flyover was functional.
certainly can be rated as one of the worst flyover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_blore View Post
Old 29th April 2011, 13:08   #3282
Senior - BHPian

I plan to do Koramangala-Yeswantpur-Nelamangala-Kunigal-Hassan-Mangalore next week by car.

Or is it better to go via Magadi ?

Requesting some advice
Old 29th April 2011, 13:15   #3283
Senior - BHPian

mooza i would suggest you stick to the plan, Magadi will take more time.

However you want to enjoy the good old 2lane highway then it is Magadi

Last edited by lohithrao : 29th April 2011 at 13:20.
lohithrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2011, 13:26   #3284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
I plan to do Koramangala-Yeswantpur-Nelamangala-Kunigal-Hassan-Mangalore next week by car.
Suggesting to avoid Yeshwantpur metro work bottleneck unless you wish to cross Y'pur before 7am.

Koaramangala - through city / GPO - Hebbal - BEL circle - Goraguntepalya - Nelamangala toll road

OR

Koramangala - City Rly stn - Magadi road - turn right to ring road after kamakshipalya - Rajkumar samadhi - Goraguntepalya - toll road

During peak hours, the best / fastest option, though very long would be the NICE road.

Hope this helps..
roamingrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2011, 14:04   #3285
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingrao View Post
Koramangala - City Rly stn - Magadi road - turn right to ring road after kamakshipalya - Rajkumar samadhi - Goraguntepalya - toll road
How about metro construction on Magadi road?
That was also bad some time back. Has it improved off late?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks