Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2011, 10:42   #3571
Distinguished - BHPian
 
smartcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,968
Thanked: 11,900 Times
Default re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
and even a 30 minute nap in the middle. Had very little sleep last night, had to compensate on the road.
What kind of spots do you pick for your cat naps? Close to towns with people walking by or in the middle of nowhere? Under a tree or next to a petrol pump?
smartcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2011, 13:59   #3572
Senior - BHPian
 
msdivy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,445
Thanked: 837 Times
Default re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

I will have to visit Kukke in 1st week of Sep. I have the train tickets confirmed. But I was think about this route as a leisure trip: Bangalore - Holenarasipura - Arakalagud - Kukke via Bisile Ghat (done here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...angundi-4.html (Swifted : Bisle, Belur, Halebid, Chikmagalur, Kemmangundi))

Has anybody done this recently?
msdivy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2011, 15:07   #3573
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,381
Thanked: 14,278 Times
Default re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
What kind of spots do you pick for your cat naps? Close to towns with people walking by or in the middle of nowhere? Under a tree or next to a petrol pump?
Closer to some human habitation, but away from the crowd. It has to feel safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
But I was think about this route as a leisure trip: Bangalore - Holenarasipura - Arakalagud - Kukke via Bisile Ghat (done here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...angundi-4.html (Swifted : Bisle, Belur, Halebid, Chikmagalur, Kemmangundi))

Has anybody done this recently?
That travelogue was done during dry season, Bisle is a totally different animal during rains. I have done it multiple times in monsoons, I fear and respect this ghat. I would not dare travel in in night even in my Jeep. The edges are often eroded, I did fall out of the road last year when I yielded to a rare oncoming vehicle. The fog can be blinding even in day, so night is a suicide since edges can't be seen.

Bisle in Monsoon:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-e...isle-ghat.html

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-e...ml#post2293345

If you have a SUV, you can try it, don't even bother with a sedan/hatch. If you encounter a rare oncoming bus in a narrow stretch, it can be a real pain. You will have to reverse until you find a wider road.

I will mostly be driving on it this weekend in my Jeep, shall report the status.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 09:08   #3574
BHPian
 
vinboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bangalore/Udupi
Posts: 68
Thanked: 11 Times
Default re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

So Shiradi ghat section is back to the old status...bad?? I am driving to Udupi on 29th evening at around 6PM from Bangalore. If the ghat section is really bad then I would start from Bangalore around 2.00 am so that I can reach the ghat section early morning. So do let me know what would be ideal? Alternatively please advice me on Madikeri and Charmadi routes.
vinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 09:59   #3575
Senior - BHPian
 
rajshenoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,846
Thanked: 623 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (10)
Default re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinboy View Post
So Shiradi ghat section is back to the old status...bad?? I am driving to Udupi on 29th evening at around 6PM from Bangalore. If the ghat section is really bad then I would start from Bangalore around 2.00 am so that I can reach the ghat section early morning. So do let me know what would be ideal? Alternatively please advice me on Madikeri and Charmadi routes.
Ghat section is bad, but traffic is not. mining trucks are missing, only those slow moving LPG tankers and busses.

roads are bad, but on a dry day, i could spot all the potholes and could manage on the edges of the road(center is bad).

So i dont think you really need to hit the ghats early, unless you want to reach your destination early.

I left Bangalore at 8, and reached udupi at 12 via ujire-karkala route.
rajshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 10:20   #3576
BHPian
 
JMaruru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 527
Thanked: 101 Times
Question re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
I left Bangalore at 8, and reached udupi at 12 via ujire-karkala route.
Did you do this stretch all within 4 hours?

What is your ride?
JMaruru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 10:35   #3577
Senior - BHPian
 
rajshenoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,846
Thanked: 623 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (10)
Default re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Did you do this stretch all within 4 hours?

What is your ride?
Opps .. Huge Correction , i was trying to say i did it within 8 hours that too with 30 min breakfast and 2-3 10 min break for my little one. (Was in hurry to reach office..bad Jams on ORR)

Started at 4AM, reached at 12PM in 8 hours.

My Ride is my pic.

Is this the first time you are driving to udupi ?
Have you driven same time last year and a year before ? roads are in much better shape now. but it is really bad for those who want to start new.

Samurai was suppose to give us feedback on his return journey. hope to see it soon
rajshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 10:43   #3578
BHPian
 
JMaruru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 527
Thanked: 101 Times
Default re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Opps .. Huge Correction , i was trying to say i did it within 8 hours that too with 30 min breakfast and 2-3 10 min break for my little one. (Was in hurry to reach office..bad Jams on ORR)

Started at 4AM, reached at 12PM in 8 hours.

My Ride is my pic.

Is this the first time you are driving to udupi ?
Have you driven same time last year and a year before ? roads are in much better shape now. but it is really bad for those who want to start new.

Samurai was suppose to give us feedback on his return journey. hope to see it soon
Well, for this year am doing b'lore - m'lore every month. Had been on ujire - karkala couple of times. Usually, it is around 7 - 8 hours for me. Now with shiradi, being what it is can easily add another hour.
JMaruru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 11:23   #3579
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,381
Thanked: 14,278 Times
Default re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Did you do this stretch all within 4 hours?

What is your ride?
I had instantly assumed Bowler Wild Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Samurai was suppose to give us feedback on his return journey. hope to see it soon
You mean feedback on alternate route? I will mostly take Agumbe-Sringeri-Balehonnur-CKM, my old favourite. It doesn't get too bad even by end of monsoon. No truck traffic you see.

Tomorrow I have to drive to Somwarpet, I am conflicted between Bisle or Shiradi. In an doorless Jeep, Shiradi can get messy, passing vehicles will spray whole lot of muddy water on me. Bisle will be lot shorter, but support vehicle (Swift) may not be able to deal with it.

BTW, now Bisle is shown as a route in Google Map while looking for direction. Wonder how many poor souls will fall for that joke.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 11:34   #3580
Senior - BHPian
 
addyhemmige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore/Hassan
Posts: 1,549
Thanked: 465 Times
Default re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Tomorrow I have to drive to Somwarpet, I am conflicted between Bisle or Shiradi. In an doorless Jeep, Shiradi can get messy, passing vehicles will spray whole lot of muddy water on me. Bisle will be lot shorter, but support vehicle (Swift) may not be able to deal with it.
If you are travelling via Handalli-Kundalli, the swift should make it although the going might be slow. The worst parts come after this junction, right? I'm assuming that you will be coming from Sakleshpur side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
BTW, now Bisle is shown as a route in Google Map while looking for direction. Wonder how many poor souls will fall for that joke.
It had its fair share of poor souls without the help of Google and now I really pity the new guys. Seriously, when the govt is struggling to keep the Shiradi ghat in good condition, I really doubt that Bisle will get the attention it deserves atleast for the next few years
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 11:46   #3581
Senior - BHPian
 
msdivy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,445
Thanked: 837 Times
Default re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
BTW, now Bisle is shown as a route in Google Map while looking for direction.
MMI doesn't have this road in their maps. After Mallipatna, it routes right towards NH 48 & joins that road after Manjurabad Fort.
msdivy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 16:43   #3582
Senior - BHPian
 
addyhemmige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore/Hassan
Posts: 1,549
Thanked: 465 Times
Default re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
MMI doesn't have this road in their maps. After Mallipatna, it routes right towards NH 48 & joins that road after Manjurabad Fort.
You don't have to go to Mallipatna to take the Bisle ghat road. It is a very big roundabout. Yes, MMI does not show this route. There are 3 options to reach Bisle from Mallipatna. All 3 are not shown.

1. Mallipatna-Shanivarsante-Vanagur Koodu Raste-Bisle
2. Mallipatna-Kodlipet-Yeslur-Igoor-Hethur-Vanagur Koodu Raste-Bisle
3. Mallipatna-Kodlipet-Shukravarasante-Byakaravalli-Hethur-Vanagur Koodu Raste-Bisle

Option 1 is the shortest and 3 is the longest.
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2011, 08:22   #3583
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,381
Thanked: 14,278 Times
Default

Is there no direct route from Handalli-Kudige to Sanivarsante? Consider the following map from Wikimapia. I have marked Handalli-Kudige in red circle and Sanivarsante in blue circle. It looks like one has to take a long roundabout either way.

I have to go to Sanivarsante via Bisle ghat, and this is not making me happy. I might as well take Shiradi if there is no direct route to Sanivarsante.

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-fullscreen-capture-8262011-124502-am.bmp.jpg
The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-fullscreen-capture-8262011-124530-am.bmp.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
If you are travelling via Handalli-Kundalli, the swift should make it although the going might be slow. The worst parts come after this junction, right? I'm assuming that you will be coming from Sakleshpur side.
Um, no. Why would I need Bisle if I am coming from Sakleshpur side? I will be coming from Subramanya side. Bisle is the shortest route between Mangalore and north Coorg.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2011, 09:30   #3584
Senior - BHPian
 
addyhemmige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore/Hassan
Posts: 1,549
Thanked: 465 Times
Default re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Is there no direct route from Handalli-Kudige to Sanivarsante? Consider the following map from Wikimapia. I have marked Handalli-Kudige in red circle and Sanivarsante in blue circle. It looks like one has to take a long roundabout either way.
AFAIK, there is no direct route between Handalli Kudige and Shanivarasante. But, there is a direct road from Vanagur Koodu Raste to Shanivarsante. I forget the name of the villages it passes through (I can confirm later in the evening though), but I have no idea regarding the road conditions. I have mentioned this route in my previous post as well. This road is also shown in Google maps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Um, no. Why would I need Bisle if I am coming from Sakleshpur side? I will be coming from Subramanya side. Bisle is the shortest route between Mangalore and north Coorg.
Agreed. I had thought you might be starting from Bangalore.
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2011, 11:01   #3585
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,381
Thanked: 14,278 Times
Default re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
AFAIK, there is no direct route between Handalli Kudige and Shanivarasante. But, there is a direct road from Vanagur Koodu Raste to Shanivarsante. I forget the name of the villages it passes through (I can confirm later in the evening though), but I have no idea regarding the road conditions. I have mentioned this route in my previous post as well. This road is also shown in Google maps.
Yes, I see that now. But Wikimapia image I posted above has the road between Handalli-Kudige to Kundalli, but nothing between Koodu Raste to Sanivarsanthe. But I remember seeing 3 roads converge at Koodu Raste, when I passed there two years back.

Now google map has that road, but totally misses the Somvarpet road and has no marking for most towns.

Bisle Ghat Rd, Karnataka - Google Maps

Anyway, now I know Koodu Raste to Sanivarsante is a straight road. Good enough for me.

Condition of the road is not important considering the vehicle. Besides, it can't be worse than Bisle ghat.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Year Drive: Bangalore to Mangalore & Udupi nandita_bayan21 Travelogues 11 21st January 2016 12:27
On TVS apache: Pune-Chennai-Pondy-Bangalore-Mangalore-Udupi-Ankola-Belgaum-Pune CoNrOd Travelogues 12 26th May 2014 16:04
Road conditions between Bangalore and Udupi rdna Route / Travel Queries 1 11th December 2011 00:55
Mumbai-Mangalore-Bangalore-Mangalore-Mumbai trip sumitdongerkery Travelogues 4 17th October 2006 14:28


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:02.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks