Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 5th January 2009, 11:28   #346
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Satish

I have got more info on the madikeri route and feel this road is drivable. didnt know much about charmadi

can i assume appx 20-30 kms are only bad and slow ?

Also i know the route from ujire onwards

There are two routes once you pass through guruvayan kere(belthangadi) and you have to take the one which doesnt go to moodbidri(keep to your right)

road is narrow with alot of turns(speed limit 60-80) but it was in good condition in october.. i dont think it will get spoilt much as its an interior road

I came to know that pvt busses are taking the madikeri route to reach bangalore(my BIL came last saturday)
rajshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 12:17   #347
BHPian

Hi Raj,

Yes, you are right, 30kms max (bad & slow) on the Charmadi route.
prabhusati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 12:19   #348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Prabhu is the mini buses and trucks using charmadi route??
Hi Lohit,

Hardly saw a truck on the charmadi ghats. But did see Maxicabs coming down (maybe going to Dharmastala) and some private buses.

Best Regards/Satish Prabhu
Old 5th January 2009, 12:38   #349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Thanks Satish

I have got more info on the madikeri route and feel this road is drivable. didnt know much about charmadi

can i assume appx 20-30 kms are only bad and slow ?

Also i know the route from ujire onwards
Hi Rajshenoy,

My suggestion. Take the Madikeri route. I took the Madikeri route to Suratkal to and fro last week. My BIL took the charmadi route. I suggested him the Madikeri route on his return journey. His words " Madikeri route is anytime better than Charmadi."

The stretch from Sampaje to Sullia is being newly tarred and the work is in progress. It's good road all the way from Sullia to BC road. In the stretch from Sampaje to madikeri, there are few potholes and some pot holes have been filled. But defnitely these are small potholes and manageble. The stretch between Madikeri to Kushalnagar, all the pot holes are filled but the road is bit uneven. So if you can bear the 25 odd KMS from madikeri<> Sampaje stretch, it's good road all the way.

Have a safe journey
bkishore_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 13:23   #350
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys

Looks like i need to toss a coin on the morning of my travel :-)
Old 5th January 2009, 13:39   #351
BHPian

Rajshenoy,

I have driven through charmadi route last week. I took the Shiradi route on my to-jourey to subramanya and the road is just horrible. and from dharmastala took the charmadi road to chikmagalure. Took approaximately 2.5 hrs reach the destination. This is probably the best route as on today. am sure you will enjoy the drive also.
ravikn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 14:00   #352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhusati View Post
Hi Raj,
Beyond Ujire (towards Udupi), i am not aware of the road condition, since i took the Mangalore-Uppinangady-Ujire-Bangalore route last week.
I took this route when travelling from DharmaSthala to Udupi via Karkala. Roads are good here and very less pot holes. Only around 200 mts of very bad stretch was present before Ujire and towards Karkala.
mahadev_kc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 15:50   #353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Thanks guys

Looks like i need to toss a coin on the morning of my travel :-)
Hi Raj,

Try both routes, one for the onward and the other for return journey. This way, you would have experienced both routes.
Old 5th January 2009, 15:52   #354
Senior - BHPian

I guess i will

that way it will also help others who plan subsequently
Old 5th January 2009, 20:16   #355

Question Bengalooru - Udupi route

Hi,

I am planning a trip along the coast with family (wife + 3 year-old brat) during the long weekend of Jan 26th (Republic day). I have been granted two days off on 22nd and 23rd: FYI.

I would like to take a bottom-up route, so to speak, starting with Udupi.
Well, Kundapur, more likely, as I have read some good reviews about Turtle Bay.

I would probably go all the way till Karwar and return by NH-17 (till Honnavara) - NH206 till Tumkur - NH4 till you-know-where.

My main query is this: which is the best route for Udipi (spare me the NH48; even though I have a Scorpio, I dont wish to take the Shiradi ghats: dont wish to disturb Junior's sleep)?

I was planning the following:

Bengalooru - Hassan - Belur - Aldur - Balehonnur - Jayapura - Sringeri - Agumbe - Someshwar(pet) - Hebri - Perdur(?) - Udupi

Can anyone vindicate my route?
If it is not correct, could you please correct the same?

Also, alternate routes are most welcome and appreciated.

I posted this in the sub-section called something like "Route / Travel Queries" quite a while ago: it never got posted: I wonder why...?

Anyway, thanks in advance, folks, for any invaluable inputs.

Regards,
Suhas
suhasd75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2009, 10:50   #356
Senior - BHPian

I traveled on these routes in last week of Dec and you can see details on road conditions in my travelogue.

Udupi - Manipal - Karkala - Bajagoli - Guruwayanekere - Belthangadi - Ujire - Dharmasthala - NH48 - Kukke Subramanya
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post1114556 (My tour to Western Karnataka (lots of pics))

Kukke Subramanya - Sulya - Madikere - Kushalnagar - Namdroling's Golden Temple - Srirangapatnam - Bangalore
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post1114558 (My tour to Western Karnataka (lots of pics))

Try whatever but avoid Shiradi ghats...
ST7677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2009, 12:40   #357
Team-BHP Support

Post Bangalore - Shimoga - Mukambika Temple

This is for a friend who wants to travel to Mukambika temple from Bangalore, but he has to visit Shimoga first and then proceed (He has 30 mts job in Shimoga.). Am terrible with this route and would appreciate some help.

He doesnt want to touch Mangalore, and wants to start from Bangalore late evening and break trip at Shimoga or earlier (if decent accommodation is available), and continue with trip to Mukambika the next day so that he can attend an evening pooja at 4 pm.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2009, 14:50   #358
Senior - BHPian

@Jaggu,
I recently travelled to Shimoga. The road condition now from Bangalore to shimoga is now doable by any sedan.
They have repaired the big potholes after Tarikere.
The stretch between Birur - Tarikere has been done by 50%.
sushrutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2009, 15:04   #359
Senior - BHPian

Hello Suhas,
Please search the forum, you'll find lot of threads being discussed on the same topic.
Anyways the specified route by you "Bengalooru - Hassan - Belur - Aldur - Balehonnur - Jayapura - Sringeri - Agumbe - Someshwara - Hebri - Perdur - Udupi "
is the best possible route to Udupi from Bangalore as of now .
sushrutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2009, 15:07   #360
Senior - BHPian

Hey bro, this topic is always a hot topic..and people like us(and the corruption in road construction) keeps this on the top. You can always find it in top 5-10 discussion

check for Bangalore-mangalore route info related thread