Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2013, 11:05   #4486
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,239
Thanked: 13,990 Times
Default Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

We won't talking much about road conditions until July. This thread has off season between Jan-June.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2013, 13:05   #4487
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 236
Thanked: 28 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Roads are good all the way, enjoy the drive
The roads are indeed great. I took the magadi route and the roads in magadi town are also great.
The ghats are in good shape. A little rough but no potholes and therefore nothing to complain about.

Managed the whole trip in 6hrs including two breaks.

Xuv was able to do the sakleshpur to hotel in under 2hrs.
ash_blore is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2013, 13:58   #4488
Senior - BHPian
 
rajshenoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,832
Thanked: 618 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Indeed, with such positive travel updates. This thread is bound to go silent this summer i guess. No complaints though. Lets see if i can convert some of my bus trips to pleasant car drives
rajshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2013, 18:20   #4489
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 31
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Starting from Bangalore tommorrow about 4 am in my Wagon-R. Heading for Mangalore, and later to Kundapura.
Wagoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2013, 14:24   #4490
Senior - BHPian
 
cool_dube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,175
Thanked: 354 Times
Default Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_blore View Post
I took the magadi route and the roads in magadi town are also great.
Any particular reason for taking Magadi Road instead of the usual Yashwantpur-Nelamangala sector?
cool_dube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013, 20:28   #4491
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 236
Thanked: 28 Times
Default Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Any particular reason for taking Magadi Road instead of the usual Yashwantpur-Nelamangala sector?
If I leave home early then I take the magadi road as there is no traffic at all all the way until Kunigal. A more relaxed drive.

If I start later then Nice-> NH4 and NH48 is definitely a better option compared to the traffic in magadi town and beyond.
ash_blore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013, 12:54   #4492
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 31
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Back from Mangalore, Udupi, Kundapura. As reported by other folks here, good road througout, including the ghat (Shiradi). Patchwork done at lots of places and it nicely holds up. Visited Shetty Lunch Home. Skipped the Chicken ghee roast this time and ordered chicken liver fry. Liver was extremely fresh, and the masala was the same they use in their ghee roast. Lipsmacking. Also had prawns, and mackerel. The place isnt maintained too well, compared to how it was earlier. After that went to Mullikatte. This village is about 13 kms north of Kundapura, just a couple of kilometers before Marwanthe beach. The fish here is very fresh and tasty. Try it out sometime. I have known friends who travel all the way from Udupi to Mullikatte to have the fish.
Wagoner is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013, 21:32   #4493
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 94
Thanked: 27 Times
Default Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagoner View Post
Back from Mangalore, Udupi, Kundapura. As reported by other folks here, good road througout, including the ghat (Shiradi). Patchwork done at lots of places and it nicely holds up. Visited Shetty Lunch Home. Skipped the Chicken ghee roast this time and ordered chicken liver fry. Liver was extremely fresh, and the masala was the same they use in their ghee roast. Lipsmacking. Also had prawns, and mackerel. The place isnt maintained too well, compared to how it was earlier. After that went to Mullikatte. This village is about 13 kms north of Kundapura, just a couple of kilometers before Marwanthe beach. The fish here is very fresh and tasty. Try it out sometime. I have known friends who travel all the way from Udupi to Mullikatte to have the fish.
Is that a village on NH17 or one of the interior roads? You said 2 kms before Marvanthe so cant be too interior? Also are you referring to a restaurant there? Would really like to try it out the next time I am there...
explorer09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2013, 10:35   #4494
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 31
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer09 View Post
Is that a village on NH17 or one of the interior roads? You said 2 kms before Marvanthe so cant be too interior? Also are you referring to a restaurant there? Would really like to try it out the next time I am there...
Sorry missed writing the name of the restaurant /bar earlier. You are right. Mullikatte is right on NH17. You would find sort of an intersection with a few shops (on the right). Its easy to miss it, but you usually find a few people waiting for the bus here. The road on the left goes uphill diagonally towards Gangolli. Dont take that. Take the right turn and after about 200-300 metres and you would find a bar & restaurant (on left) called Annapurna or Aishwarya (dont remember the exact name). Its a large building and you wont miss it.

The ambience of this place is like a small village smalltime bar, with mainly locals. You can either sit outside or take the large cabins on one side of the bar. The fish here is very fresh and excellently prepared.

Only con about the place is there is a strong smell of fish in the air and not well maintained.. but if you are prepared to overlook that then you could give it a try
Wagoner is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2013, 10:56   #4495
BHPian
 
tckanth's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 56
Thanked: 25 Times
Default Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Hi Guys,
Leaving for Mangalore this Saturday in my Beat (two people on board), any updates / words of caution?

My tentative plan:
Leave Jayanagar at 5AM
Jayanagar - ORR - Sukandkatte - Magadi - Kunigal - Channarayapattana - Hasan - Sakleshpur - The famous Shiradi Ghat - Mangalore.

No specific reasons for not taking the Nelmanagala route.
Just wanted to try a new route and I hope it should not be an issue considering the time I'm planning to leave (5AM).

And plan to take the same route back, will leave Mangalore after lunch on Sunday.

Please pour in your suggestions / recommendations for
- Places to look-out for
- Places to stop and click pics
- Munching some Veg food / snacks (need not be an 'Only Veg' place).

Cheers
tckanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2013, 11:55   #4496
Senior - BHPian
 
rajshenoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,832
Thanked: 618 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tckanth View Post
Hi Guys,
Leaving for Mangalore this Saturday in my Beat (two people on board), any updates / words of caution?

My tentative plan:
Leave Jayanagar at 5AM
Jayanagar - ORR - Sukandkatte - Magadi - Kunigal - Channarayapattana - Hasan - Sakleshpur - The famous Shiradi Ghat - Mangalore.

No specific reasons for not taking the Nelmanagala route.
Just wanted to try a new route and I hope it should not be an issue considering the time I'm planning to leave (5AM).

And plan to take the same route back, will leave Mangalore after lunch on Sunday.

Please pour in your suggestions / recommendations for
- Places to look-out for
- Places to stop and click pics
- Munching some Veg food / snacks (need not be an 'Only Veg' place).

Cheers
Enjoy your drive, Roads are in good condition throughout. Ghats would be pretty dry now, so i am not sure why you would want to click pics. Also by starting at 5AM, you wont make it to the ghats before 9, So even Sunrise would be ruled out.
If you still want to take pics, click the roads. Great roads on shiradi makes a perfect wallpaper

For Food -
Kamath after Chennaraya patna
Mythri hotel Sakleshpur
Aditya @ Uppinangadi

I havent tried any non-veg options, so cant comment
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2013, 14:01   #4497
Senior - BHPian
 
KarthikK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,916
Thanked: 3,483 Times
Default Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tckanth View Post
Hi Guys,
Leaving for Mangalore this Saturday in my Beat (two people on board), any updates / words of caution?

My tentative plan:
Leave Jayanagar at 5AM
Jayanagar - ORR - Sukandkatte - Magadi - Kunigal - Channarayapattana - Hasan - Sakleshpur - The famous Shiradi Ghat - Mangalore.
Words of caution - Lots of deviations into opposite side road, service road and back, sharing the road with opposite side, through Kunigal - Hassan stretch which is still under construction. Also watch for unmarked speedbreakers, stones, sudden dips and raises in road surface, etc. Should not be a problem since you will be covering this during daytime.

Quote:
No specific reasons for not taking the Nelmanagala route.
Actually there is a reason - This weekend being a long weekend, you will have the menace of traffic, and queues at toll gates even early in the morning along Nelamangala. Nice idea of yours to avoid the regular route.

Quote:
Just wanted to try a new route and I hope it should not be an issue considering the time I'm planning to leave (5AM).
Just make sure the stretch is tarred properly since you will be covering it in darkness.

Quote:
Please pour in your suggestions / recommendations for
- Places to look-out for
- Places to stop and click pics
for highway/sunrise pics in your commute time, the Hassan expressway before Kunigal.

For scenery, anything from/after Sakleshpur all the way till Uppinangadi is scenic. There are a few places well until Mangalore also, throughout the ghat section descent. You will still be missing out on the post-monsoon green cover though . W.ghats are just not the same this time of the year.

Quote:
- Munching some Veg food / snacks (need not be an 'Only Veg' place).
You'll find lots of restaurants along Hassan highway where you can make your Breakfast stop.
- Mayura at Bellur cross (~90km from Bangalore)
- Kamat at CR Patna is popular, and you have some more choices if you deviate into Hassan city.
- There was one superb restaurant (on the same highway) just after Sakleshpur town on your right side as you go from here, bang opposite some college, I think the name was Surabhi. Mangalore route regulars might be able to suggest better options after Sakleshpur.

Have a nice trip!

Last edited by KarthikK : 24th January 2013 at 14:05.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2013, 14:16   #4498
Senior - BHPian
 
speedsatya's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: bangalore/manga
Posts: 3,161
Thanked: 706 Times
Default Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

These days you have to be careful about new speedbreakers coming up after Channrayapatna . Saw 2 accidents right in front of us because of these humps !!

There is this speedbreaker thats come up just before the ghat after you enter Sakleshpur City .

I would advise the regulars to be more careful , as you would never be expecting this .
speedsatya is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2013, 19:00   #4499
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 753
Thanked: 1,047 Times
Default Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
You'll find lots of restaurants along Hassan highway where you can make your Breakfast stop.
- Mayura at Bellur cross (~90km from Bangalore)
- Kamat at CR Patna is popular, and you have some more choices if you deviate into Hassan city.
- There was one superb restaurant (on the same highway) just after Sakleshpur town on your right side as you go from here, bang opposite some college, I think the name was Surabhi. Mangalore route regulars might be able to suggest better options after Sakleshpur.

Have a nice trip!
That would be Surabhi Nxt. This has lot of parking space too. Lot of Surabhi have cropped up in Sakleshpur. We saw 3 on our way to Guruvayankere.
One more option would be Ossur, before entering the Shakleshpura town. Akki rotti was lip smacking here.
unk9ja is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2013, 22:22   #4500
BHPian
 
tckanth's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 56
Thanked: 25 Times
Default Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
These days you have to be careful about new speedbreakers coming up after Channrayapatna.
Thanks a lot for the inputs Satya. Will share if they have started making the speedbreakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Words of caution -
Actually there is a reason
for highway/sunrise pics in your commute time, the Hassan expressway before Kunigal.
For scenery, anything from/after Sakleshpur all the way till Uppinangadi is scenic.
You'll find lots of restaurants along Hassan highway where you can make your Breakfast stop.
- Mayura at Bellur cross (~90km from Bangalore)
- Kamat at CR Patna is popular, and you have some more choices if you deviate into Hassan city.
- There was one superb restaurant (on the same highway) just after Sakleshpur town on your right side as you go from here, bang opposite some college, I think the name was Surabhi. Mangalore route regulars might be able to suggest better options after Sakleshpur.
Have a nice trip!
Thanks buddy, Will try and take some pics and will post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Enjoy your drive, Roads are in good condition throughout. Ghats would be pretty dry now, so i am not sure why you would want to click pics. Also by starting at 5AM, you wont make it to the ghats before 9, So even Sunrise would be ruled out.
If you still want to take pics, click the roads. Great roads on shiradi makes a perfect wallpaper

For Food -
Kamath after Chennaraya patna
Mythri hotel Sakleshpur
Aditya @ Uppinangadi

I havent tried any non-veg options, so cant comment
Thanks for your suggestions Raj, Let me try and click some pics
tckanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Year Drive: Bangalore to Mangalore & Udupi nandita_bayan21 Travelogues 11 21st January 2016 12:27
On TVS apache: Pune-Chennai-Pondy-Bangalore-Mangalore-Udupi-Ankola-Belgaum-Pune CoNrOd Travelogues 12 26th May 2014 16:04
Road conditions between Bangalore and Udupi rdna Route / Travel Queries 1 11th December 2011 00:55
Mumbai-Mangalore-Bangalore-Mangalore-Mumbai trip sumitdongerkery Travelogues 4 17th October 2006 14:28


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:41.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks