Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2009, 11:07   #1111
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 31
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Need current conditions

Hi,

I am planning to travel to Sringeri and Horanadu nextweek.

The tentative plan is:
Oct 2: BLR-Magadi-Hassan-CKM-Aldur-Jayapura-Sringeri
Oct 3: Sringeri-Horanadu-Sringeri
Oct 4: Sringeri-BLR

From Morgul's post I see that the road conditions are good for the most part.

I have heard that it is raining heavily in the western ghats. I will be travelling with my 10 month old. I would rather postpone the trip than getting stuck enroute.

Any good options in CKM for lunch (parents prefer South Indian)?

Thanks
carmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2009, 11:24   #1112
BHPian
 
Glifford's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 371
Thanked: 41 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Bangalore - Kunigal via Nelmangala is 74Kms
Bangalore - Kunigal via Magadi is also 74kms (BLR-Magadi =46 Magadi-Kunigal - 28kms)
Yes, but the via Magadi route is much more scenic, fast and safer(?). Great if you love curves (gentle ones, not hair pins).

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmania View Post
Any good options in CKM for lunch (parents prefer South Indian)?
Several! All around the Main KSRTC Bus Stand in Chickamagalur city. Decent places.
Glifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2009, 11:39   #1113
Senior - BHPian
 
addyhemmige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore/Hassan
Posts: 1,549
Thanked: 465 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Bangalore - Kunigal via Nelmangala is 74Kms
Bangalore - Kunigal via Magadi is also 74kms (BLR-Magadi =46 Magadi-Kunigal - 28kms)
From my place in Basaveshwaranagar, the distance is equal. but it will differ for people travelling from different parts of Bangalore.

For Example, for people travelling from South Bangalore, travelling via Magadi will be shorter than via Nelamangala and it is vice versa for people from North Bangalore. So, people travelling from North Bangalore will find it shorter (not necessarily faster) to travel via Nelamangala.
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2009, 11:50   #1114
Senior - BHPian
 
lohithrao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kudla/Mangaluru
Posts: 3,125
Thanked: 162 Times
Default

It will work out lot faster if one starts early...

ANy updates on peenya road? how horrible it has got?
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2009, 11:59   #1115
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,254
Thanked: 31 Times
Default

Untill 4 years back I used to take bangalore-magadi-kunigal-channarayapatna-arasikere-shimoga route but now it looks like this route is again worth since roads are better now. My friend started taking same route. Distance wise its same as other normal route.

Ravi.
ravibhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2009, 13:22   #1116
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 358
Thanked: 55 Times
Default

Planning a trip to Mangalore during Oct2nd weekend in my Getz.

Route options:
After going through several posts in this thread, wondering if the route below is the best one (avoiding Shirady and the bad sections on NH48 near Mangalore)

Bangalore - Hassan - Belur - Charmadi - Belthangadi - Mudabidre - Mangalore

Please provide any info based on recent travel especially about Charmady as this will be the first time I will be driving through Charmadi.

Places to see in Mangalore
- Beach: Is the Suratkal beach good? Any other beach that is not too remote and not very crowded?
- What other places nearby? Please suggest

thanks in advance!
mohan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2009, 15:54   #1117
BHPian
 
JMaruru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 526
Thanked: 101 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
Planning a trip to Mangalore during Oct2nd weekend in my Getz.

Route options:
After going through several posts in this thread, wondering if the route below is the best one (avoiding Shirady and the bad sections on NH48 near Mangalore)

Bangalore - Hassan - Belur - Charmadi - Belthangadi - Mudabidre - Mangalore

Please provide any info based on recent travel especially about Charmady as this will be the first time I will be driving through Charmadi.

Places to see in Mangalore
- Beach: Is the Suratkal beach good? Any other beach that is not too remote and not very crowded?
- What other places nearby? Please suggest

thanks in advance!
The route is fine, as it avoids shirady and also the dreaded BC Road - M'lore stretch. There are beaches galore out there, noteworthy ones are summer sands/someshwara (view is damn good) and the tannerbhavi (near the mangalore port). If you can travel up further, you can try one's in kaup or malpe. Mangalore has so many places to go around, depends what you are looking out for.
JMaruru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2009, 17:18   #1118
Senior - BHPian
 
lohithrao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kudla/Mangaluru
Posts: 3,125
Thanked: 162 Times
Default

mohan i wont take "Charmadi" 15+days back had been in that route, though the ghat is not a challenge at all but at some curves the road gets too narrow where just 1 car or a bus can pass... anyhow since the Shiradi route is open i dont see KSRTC buses using this route Buses and truck traffic should be less..

Once you get down 20+ kms will be a snail ride with bad patches appearing very often and since the road is narrow it is a pain...

I would suggest Madikeri route.

btw people who might have traveled to Mangalore this week, has anyone taken SHiradi?? update madi )
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2009, 18:00   #1119
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 358
Thanked: 55 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
mohan i wont take "Charmadi" 15+days back had been in that route, though the ghat is not a challenge at all but at some curves the road gets too narrow where just 1 car or a bus can pass... anyhow since the Shiradi route is open i dont see KSRTC buses using this route Buses and truck traffic should be less..

Once you get down 20+ kms will be a snail ride with bad patches appearing very often and since the road is narrow it is a pain...

I would suggest Madikeri route.

btw people who might have traveled to Mangalore this week, has anyone taken SHiradi?? update madi )
Going through Madikeri means the BC Road - Mangalore part of NH48 has to be avoided somehow - I saw a suggestion about that but it was not clear to me, hence I thought Charmadi may be better.

I hope someone who travelled during last week on Shiradi/Charmadi can give updates, based on which I can decide. Hopefully Shiradi is patched up (too much to expect?) or Charmadi is having less traffic now as you mentioned
mohan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2009, 19:50   #1120
Senior - BHPian
 
lohithrao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kudla/Mangaluru
Posts: 3,125
Thanked: 162 Times
Default

Mohan, i dint find BC road as a challenge, CHarmadi...Ujre route will consume a lot more time and you will have to go through fair amount of bad patches...thanks to narrow road and village transport buses..

Anyhow if you want to avoid BC road, take diversion in Melkar and connect to NH17 via Infosys(Mlore University)
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2009, 21:01   #1121
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore,Karwar,Vasco-Goa
Posts: 110
Thanked: Once
Default

btw people who might have traveled to Mangalore this week, has anyone taken SHiradi?? update madi )[/quote]

I had been to Dharmasthala this week,the Shiradi Ghat is bad as always, but somehow i felt it was better in terms of drivability as compared to my earlier experinces on this ghat section. What i mean by earlier experiences is those potholes which were bigger than car size itself , now there are potholes alongwith bad road surface but i guess managable. But with heavy rains i guess this can worsen further.
Rajiv-Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2009, 11:27   #1122
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 358
Thanked: 55 Times
Default Madikeri to Kukke Subramanya

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Mohan, i dint find BC road as a challenge, CHarmadi...Ujre route will consume a lot more time and you will have to go through fair amount of bad patches...thanks to narrow road and village transport buses..

Anyhow if you want to avoid BC road, take diversion in Melkar and connect to NH17 via Infosys(Mlore University)
Lohith, thanks a lot, only now I went through your post about Charmadi experience.
However my plans might change and I have to go to Mysore in the weekend and then visit Kukke Subramanya. The route I am planning is Mysore->Madikeri->Sampaje->Sullya->Subramanya, and I am not sure how good the last part is i.e., the route from Sulya to Subramanya. In the yahoo maps, I see a SH37 connecting Sulya to Subramanya. Anyone knows about this route?
mohan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2009, 11:38   #1123
Senior - BHPian
 
lohithrao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kudla/Mangaluru
Posts: 3,125
Thanked: 162 Times
Default

Rajiv that sounds promising thanks for the update!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv-Bang View Post
btw people who might have traveled to Mangalore this week, has anyone taken SHiradi?? update madi )
I had been to Dharmasthala this week,the Shiradi Ghat is bad as always, but somehow i felt it was better in terms of drivability as compared to my earlier experinces on this ghat section. What i mean by earlier experiences is those potholes which were bigger than car size itself , now there are potholes alongwith bad road surface but i guess managable. But with heavy rains i guess this can worsen further.[/quote]
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2009, 13:01   #1124
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 45
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Which is the best route now to get to Kukke Subramanya from Bangalore? Is it better to take the Madikeri route or is it better to go via Bisle ghat. I want to try going on the Bisle Ghat. Is it in a drivable condition?
SureshS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2009, 13:20   #1125
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 512
Thanked: 517 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv-Bang View Post
btw people who might have traveled to Mangalore this week, has anyone taken SHiradi?? update madi )
I had been to Mangalore last week and returned on Sunday 27th Sep via Shiradi(to and return).
* Bangalore - Sakleshpur - roads are good/ok
* Sakleshpur - Gundya (Shiradi section) - road condition is bad but manageable, not very deep potholes - will not hit the bottom but progress is painfully slow
* After Gundya, roads are ok with regular pothole junctions
It took 9 Hrs

Last edited by for_cars1 : 29th September 2009 at 13:22.
for_cars1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Year Drive: Bangalore to Mangalore & Udupi nandita_bayan21 Travelogues 11 21st January 2016 12:27
On TVS apache: Pune-Chennai-Pondy-Bangalore-Mangalore-Udupi-Ankola-Belgaum-Pune CoNrOd Travelogues 12 26th May 2014 16:04
Road conditions between Bangalore and Udupi rdna Route / Travel Queries 1 11th December 2011 00:55
Mumbai-Mangalore-Bangalore-Mangalore-Mumbai trip sumitdongerkery Travelogues 4 17th October 2006 14:28


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:40.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks