Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 3rd November 2009, 14:24   #1351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumarrr View Post
And the deviation from Kunigal to Magadi on
NH48 is before Kunigal or after passing Kunigal?
It would be around 5 Kms after passing kunigal town.
JMaruru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 14:31   #1352
MCR
BHPian

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumarrr View Post
Thanks a ton. Will use the Madikeri route. How is the road from Madikeri to Sullya to Kukke?

And the deviation from Kunigal to Magadi on NH48 is before Kunigal or after passing Kunigal?
Some rough patches from Kushalnagar to Madikeri. Madikeri to Sampaje is ok but narrow at some places.From Sampaje onwards its smooth sailing all the way till sullya. Sullya to Kukke is good but again a bit narrow.
MCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 16:47   #1353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
Pls take this road from Bangalore to Kukke:

Pls take this road from Dharmasthala to Bangalore :
Dharmasthala - Ujire - Chramadi - Mudigere - Belur - Hassan - Kunigal - Magadi - Bangalore

Good for both your car and kids.
All the way from Ujjre to Mudigere watch out for the road conditions. Although you can manage it you cant drive fast. It will be a lot of stop go condition. There are patches where the road is good adn suddenly you will see a huge crater. Be careful.
ash_blore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2009, 10:00   #1354
BHPian

Folks, I am planning for a drive this friday (13) to Mangalore from Bangalore. Please advice the best road available now. Sometime back in June, i went through Shiradi ghat and it was manageable. I am not sure about the present condition after monsoon.

Thanks
funda2max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 16:03   #1355
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funda2max View Post
Folks, I am planning for a drive this friday (13) to Mangalore from Bangalore. Please advice the best road available now. Sometime back in June, i went through Shiradi ghat and it was manageable. I am not sure about the present condition after monsoon.

Thanks
A friend of mine came back from Mangalore yesterday. He told the shiradi section is horrible, also lots of rain.
Pls take the Madikeri route. Pls refer my earlier posts for the detailed route. Enjoy your trip.
MCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 20:53   #1356
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks
Best or not the only feasible route to mangalore is the one through madikeri. If you want to go further north to udupi then charmadi/agumbe are better options.
ash_blore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2009, 10:29   #1357
BHPian

Folks, I would like to get the latest update on the miserable stretch of NH17 between Mangalore and Kundapur.

The idea is to drive to Kollur and back from Mangalore on Saturday/Sunday. I haven't seen the road post monsoon, but know how it would be from last two years experience. Have they started patching up the craters?

From Kundapur to Kollur I guess the road is good.

If I can't drive, I wouldn't even bother to take a taxi and would choose to travel by bus instead.
pjay_in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2009, 11:32   #1358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjay_in View Post
Folks, I would like to get the latest update on the miserable stretch of NH17 between Mangalore and Kundapur.

The idea is to drive to Kollur and back from Mangalore on Saturday/Sunday. I haven't seen the road post monsoon, but know how it would be from last two years experience. Have they started patching up the craters?

From Kundapur to Kollur I guess the road is good.

If I can't drive, I wouldn't even bother to take a taxi and would choose to travel by bus instead.
Dad tells me that it took him an hour and half to drive about 25 odd kilometers from Udupi towards Kundapur a week back . Take the bus dude, take the bus. There are plenty from Mangalore to Kollur.
bullinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2009, 12:48   #1359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_blore View Post
Best or not the only feasible route to mangalore is the one through madikeri. If you want to go further north to udupi then charmadi/agumbe are better options.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
A friend of mine came back from Mangalore yesterday. He told the shiradi section is horrible, also lots of rain.
Pls take the Madikeri route. Pls refer my earlier posts for the detailed route. Enjoy your trip.
Thanks. I will take the following route Bangalore - Mysore - Kushalnagar - Madikere-Puttur-Mangalore. Is there a way to bypass BC Road section? It is in horrible condition till Pumpwell circle.
Old 12th November 2009, 13:45   #1360
BHPian

Quote:
Is there a way to bypass BC Road section? It is in horrible condition till Pumpwell circle.
Approx 3-4 Kms after joining NH 48 at Mani, towards Mangalore, you have to take left towards Mangalore University. This route will take you to Mangalore via Melkar, Mudipu, M'lore university, Thokkottu, Mlore. This route is approx 5 Kms longer than via B.C road.

I would suggest you take the B.C road if you are not hitting this stretch at peak hours coz the work was goin on in full swing the last time I went through this stretch 3 weeks back. The M'lore univ route is littered with few pot holes but way better than B.C road.
bkishore_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2009, 12:00   #1361
BHPian

Default Bangalore - Mangalore via Madikere road update

Just came to Mangalore yesterday via Madikere. Started around 5.30 AM from Bannerghatta road towards NICE road and followed Mysore-Kushalnagar-Madikere-Sampaji- Suliya-BC Road - Mangalore route. Here is the update

Bangalore - Mysore - Kushalnagar -> One word to say "Excellent". Hats off to KRCTL for providing and maintaining such a great road. We can easily reach 110-110 KMPH constantly. I reached Kushalnagar around 9 AM and stopped for breakfast

Kushlanagar - Madikere -> Roads are in worst condition and lot of road laying work is going on. So, roads are very narrow for around 10 KMs from Kushalnagar. Driving was difficult and couldn't reach more than 30KMPH. It took around 1.5 hrs to reach Madikere.

Madikere - Sampaji -> Worst condition and lot of traffic. I could see tankers and lorries taking this road. Full of broken roads and no signs of repair works being taken off.

Sampaji - Suliya - Puttur - BC Road-> Roads are OK, not deteriorated much due to monsoons.

BC Road - Mangalore -> Worst, I am not getting any other word from dictionary. I dont call this stretch as a road. It is best suited for 4x4 off roading.

I reached Mangalore around 2.30 PM. Total trip was 410KMs.
Old 14th November 2009, 15:17   #1362
Senior - BHPian

Well route via madikeri had the advantage of less traffic guess "shiradi' ghats condition would have encouraged the trucks on this route.

Now the travel btw Sampaje and mani will be painful as the road is narrow!
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2009, 13:46   #1363
BHPian

Default bangalore- mangalore- marwanthe

Folks,

Please suggest the best route to take for going from Bangalore to Mangalore and thereafter to Marwanthe.. Plan to do this around the new year time...

Is there a route - Bangalore-hassan-agumbe-mangalore ? or alternate routes, please suggest.

thanks
Srini
smsrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2009, 11:02   #1364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Folks,

Please suggest the best route to take for going from Bangalore to Mangalore and thereafter to Marwanthe.. Plan to do this around the new year time...
Please check previous posts in the thread.

Quote:
Is there a route - Bangalore-hassan-agumbe-mangalore ? or alternate routes, please suggest.

thanks
Srini
There is a route, but will be a bit far. The route is as follows
BLR-HASSAN-Chikmagalur-Aldur-Sringeri-Agumbe-Hebri-Udupi-Mangalore
sushrutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2009, 12:24   #1365

Default Bangalore to mangalore via charmadi ghat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Please check previous posts in the thread.

There is a route, but will be a bit far. The route is as follows
BLR-HASSAN-Chikmagalur-Aldur-Sringeri-Agumbe-Hebri-Udupi-Mangalore
The Charmadi ghat route was better than the Madikeri route when I travelled a week ago. Bangalore-Hassan-Belur-Mudigere-Kottigehara-Ujire-Mangalore [can't comment on the Ujire-Mangalore route as i only went till Dharmasthala] route will be shorter than the Madikeri route and the roads are motorable. Except for the stretch between Belur and Mudigere and a stretch of 10-15 kms on the charmadi ghat the roads are good.

Bangalore to Hassan - 183 kilometers - 150-180 minutes
Hassan to Belur - 36 kilometers - 30 minutes
Belur to Mudigere - 35 kilometers - 45 minutes
Mudigere to Ujire - 55-60 Kms - 75-100 minutes
Ujire to Mangalore - 65 kms - don't know the road condition, can't comment

Hope this helps
kumarrr is offline   Reply With Quote