Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 2nd March 2011, 14:10   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Chennai - Tirupati - Darshan- Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberwhizs View Post
thanks crossroads,amp. One question though what is 4L?

Based on the posts here there seem to be three routes, including the one suggested by crossroads
1. Tada - kalahasti - tirupati. By the way does TADA stand for something. is it in the vicinity of sricity (googlemaps doesnt identify it as tada )
2. NH 205 - Tiruvallur - tiruthani - puttur - trirupati
3. The route less traversed Periya palayam - uttukottai - puttur - tirupati

Seems like either 1 or 2 can serve my needs.

From AP road/entry tax perspective there seems to be huge amount of wanton confusion. Any ideas, want to try and avoid getting fleeced.
I have taken all the three routes and I feel the first one is better. TADA is the name of a town. After you reach TADA, you need to get off the highway and take a left towards Kalahasthi. Alternatively you can go till Naidupet and take a left towards Kalahasthi (Well marked directions).

I will be traveling to Tirupati this weekend and will update the road conditions.
crossroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2011, 15:48   #17
BHPian

Thanks raju2512,amp & crossroads.
crossroads: do post your updates. I will plan to there in the middle of next week.
cyberwhizs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2011, 19:39   #18
BHPian

Just an update.
1. chennai - Tada - kalahasti - tirupati route is the better route to drive. Exited chennai through through poonamallee road and then joined red hills road. Roads are pretty good. Six laning is in progress on NH 5. There are a few small diversions. There is almost no decent place where you can take a break till kalahasthi. One can maintain a decent speeds on all sections i.e. chennai - tada, tada - kalahasthi and tada - tirupati.

2. While coming back, took the tirupati-puttur-tiruthani-tiruvallur route i.e. NH 205. The roads are paved but there is a lot of patch work which makes it a little rough even for a Innova to negotiate. Can only maintain an average speed of 40 kmph. The route has a numerous restaurants where one can take a break. The journey back was far more tiring.

The tada route may be slightly longer by around 25 odd Km but it is definitely the better road to drive on.

There is a A.P. entry road tax which is collected before tirupati (for yellow plates). The check post is on the Kalahasti - Tirupati section on the right hand side. The official receipt is issued for Rs 1510 + Rs 200 but the transacted amount seems to be around Rs 2200/- . The road tax / entry permit is valid for a 8 days.

There are travel operators who provide innova services at Rs 6,500/- for chennai-tirupati-chennai with a max of 400-425 Km. The 6,500/- includes the road tax and entry permit. It does not include regular highway toll and parking charges. I came across one toll booth on NH5, one toll booth for Tirupati - Tirumala (Rs 50/-). While returning through NH-205 did not fork out any money on toll.

Hope this helps!
cyberwhizs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2011, 21:37   #19
Team-BHP Support

Did you find any places to break on the way back? (Tiruttani?)
Though the 4L is good just as you said, no place to stop till Kalahasti, if one is coming from Chennai.

Though I have never driven on that section (always took train; Saptagiri and reached Tirupati in 4 hours flat!),
I have met many folks, who took the the Tiruttani route.

Last edited by ampere : 12th March 2011 at 21:39.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2011, 22:01   #20
BHPian

Yes, facilities are sparse on the tada route unless you enter one of the small towns enroute. It takes around 2:45 minutes to reach Kalahasti. There is a sarvana bhuvan at Kalahasti.

Most people travelling from chennai to tirupati seem to take the tiruttani route. So do the buses from chennai to tirupati. It is also the shorter route if you are not keen about kalahasti. I did see a bunch of neon signs on the way back from tirupati. Stopped for a break at hotel vima. It was in the vicinity of tiruttani, most probably after tiruttani but i am not a 100% sure. The interstate buses also stop there. It is a typical highway pit stop, bare nothing elaborate. If you are travelling with senior citizens avoid the tiruttani route, the bouncy road journey is very tiring. We left tirumala at 5:30 pm, reached T.Nagar at around 10 pm. 4:45 minutes door to door.
cyberwhizs is offline   Reply With Quote