Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 28th October 2010, 15:23   #1
BHPian

Default Mumbai-Goa-Mahableshwar

Greetings to all BHPians, I am planning a vacaction in last week of december. Below is what I need your help on. I have searched the forums but some of specific questions were not answered.

1. If I have a week, can I do Goa and Mahableshwar both?
2. What is the recommended?
3. If I have 7-8 days, are there any more options that I can consider? I am a farily ok driver on long routes. However, to prevent fatigue from ruining the holiday, I wouldnt want the distance to be more than 800-900 kms one way.

I have a swift Dzire Diesel and had done. mumbai chandigarh last year.
womanonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2010, 15:33   #2
BHPian

Yes it's feasible. Since Mahabaleshwar is enroute to goa you could drive to Goa first. Spend s few days there and stop by at Mahabaleshwar on your way back. Mumbai-Goa is about 600km and should take you between 6-8 hours. There are two routes from Mumbai. I prefer to take the expressway to Pune and then the NH4 all the way to Goa. This road is a divided highway and less stressful to drive on.
Wolfheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2010, 15:40   #3
BHPian

Thanks wolfheart. I have a question that may sound naive. If I continue driving on the expressway, will that also lead me to Goa?
Old 28th October 2010, 18:40   #4
BHPian

Request to MODS - I have posted this in the incorrect forum. Pls move it to the route/travel queries section
Old 28th October 2010, 18:42   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by womanonwheels View Post
Thanks wolfheart. I have a question that may sound naive. If I continue driving on the expressway, will that also lead me to Goa?
You can take expressway towards goa. But, unfortunately it ends by Pune and you need to continue on NH4 till Kolhapur and then one of the numerous options to descend into Konkan and eventually Goa.

My preferred routes are:
1) Kolhapur- Nipani - Sankeshwar - Gadinglaj - Ajara - Amboli Ghat- Sawantwadi-Goa
2) Kolhapur - Kolhapur city (State highway) - Gaganbawda - Talere (take lef to join NH17) - Kanakavali - Sawantwadi - Goa

Both options have pros and cons but equally scenic. 1st one has some rough road patch around Amboli ghat (heard it was being repaired). Second one though involves traversing through Kolhapur city.

take your pick!
dmplog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2010, 18:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
Mumbai-Goa is about 600km and should take you between 6-8 hours.
Shouldn't it be in the region of 9-10 hours from Mumbai considering breaks and the twisty ghat sections which i must say are a whole lot of fun to drive.
sumeethaldankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2010, 19:01   #7
BHPian

Quote:
When the expresway ends you have to shift to NH4. This is also known as Pune-Bangalore highway. Like DMPlog said gett off NH4 at Nipani and that will take you to Goa. On your way back if you want to visit M'blwr turn left towards Wai (after Satara) and that will take you via Panchgani.

It's fairly simple. Just go to google maps and carry a printout with you.
Wolfheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2010, 19:06   #8
BHPian

is mahabaleshwar a good place to visit in december? I have heard lot of ppl travel to Panchgani as well?
Old 28th October 2010, 21:13   #9
BHPian

It's not unusal to visit Mahabaleshwar in December. We did visit last December and it was quite warm (had to use AC at times!!) . However, it being a hill station, you might want to take some warm clothing.. (just in case)
dmplog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2010, 00:41   #10
BHPian

@womanonwheels: Its quite cool in december in Mahabaleshwar although the best time to go there is in June.May - June is the time when you will get strawberries in abundance there.
Also, depends on what kind of vacation you are looking for. If you want to enjoy the beaches, then its better to go via - Mumbai - Pen - Chiplun - Ratnagiri - Goa (By NH17)
You can also follow the coastline (Parallel to NH17) and visit Kashid, Ganapatiphule, Dapoli, Murud, Janjira , Aligbaug, Shrivardhan etc.
If you want to enjoy the ghats (best done in monsoons), you can go through NH4 (Nh17 will also take you through ghats but NH4 is 4 laned and in great condition) and take detours on the way.
NH4 route is Mumbai Pune - continue on Bangalore highway upto belgaum and take detour from there to go to Goa.
Slight detours from this routes can take you through Khandala, Lonavala, Khadakwasala dam, Pavna dam, Panshet, Lavasa, Varandha ghat (Deoghar dam), Bhor ghat, Kaas Lake, Vai, Mahabaleshwar etc to name a few.
One place I would definately suggest if you are not interested in intermediate breaks, is Dandeli/Kali river basin forests. This place is closer to Goa and will fall within 700kms from Mumbai oneway. You can spend couple of days at this place and then head to goa which is hardly 200 kms from this place.

Hope this does not confuse you more . All the best planning.

Last edited by himavanth_m : 29th October 2010 at 00:43.
himavanth_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2010, 10:02   #11
Senior - BHPian

Last week of dec--season time.

Best route to goa from mumbai

Mumbai-eway-pune-nh4-satara-kolhapur-nipani-sankeshwar-right turn-gadhinglaj-ajra-amboli-sawantwadi-nh17-goa.

Gadhinglaj-ajra-amboli section has some bad patches.

Amboli is the place in between where one can have stop to enjoy beauty of nature.

I will suggest to skip Mahabaleshwar in Dec, no, not for cold etc but you can do it anytime if you have two days in hand as holiday.

Explore and enjoy the Goa fullest in the high season time.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2010, 18:24   #12
BHPian

@himavanth - please provide more info on Dandeli/Kali forests. What can I expect in Dec froma a vactaion perspective and if I want to do this and Goa both in a week. What route to take?
Old 30th October 2010, 11:46   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@himavanth - please provide more info on Dandeli/Kali forests. What can I expect in Dec froma a vactaion perspective and if I want to do this and Goa both in a week. What route to take?
Dandeli - Adventure wildlife tours & white water rafting in Dandeli
deutscheafrikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2010, 15:51   #14
BHPian

Is there a way to go to Goa that will have Ganapatiphule on the route?
Old 5th November 2010, 05:13   #15
BHPian

Ganpatipule is too far inside from NH17 and the beach is not safe for swimming. Better to skip Mahabaleshwar too because it can be done any other time.

Is it a "rest and leisure" vacation or a "mile cruncher" ? Anyway the route is scenic and it's free

If crowds won't bother and you need creature comforts then do Goa alone + some beaten beaches.

If "leisure and off-track" then do only the beaches like Vengurla (above Goa), Malvan, Tarkarli, Nivti etc. Tarkarli beach is rated A+ and MTDC resort is located spot on the beach surrounded by tall trees. MTDC also offers double-decker houseboat with A/C, kicthen, bedroom. Enroute to either Goa or the beaches, a night halt at Amboli ghat should be quite thrilling. You won't notice any difference between M'war and Amboli in the dense fog!! On your return journey you can halt at Amba ghat (NH 204 connecting Ratnagiri and Kolhapur). The Manoli resort at Amba village has an awesome view of the Manoli dam and a waterfall. But don't expect room service here.

Now comes the mile crunching part that I love.....
IMHO, NH4 is super smooth and boring - everyone is in a rat race driving 100+ all the time. Rather I like the 2 lane NH17 with twists and turns + the idyllic & scenic view all the way till Udupi (900 Kms from Mumbai). You can spend 2 days in Goa and then proceed south to Karwar and then halt at Gokarna or proceed further down to Murudeshwar for a night halt - The resort at Murudeshwar has a spectacular view of the rocky & violent sea coast. Gokarna has few beaches, not as good as others but is a favourite amongst foreigners roaming around in bikinis.

You may return from Murudeshwar and take the jungle route from Ankola (NH63) - Sunskal - Yellapur then via Haliyal (Dandeli) to Dharwad (NH4) - Belgaum - Kolhapur - Pune - Mumbai. The Dandeli forest route is my favorite though I have not yet tried the longer and much more adventurous route starting from Karwar (NH17) >> along Kali river to Idgundi - Yellapur - Haliyal - Dharwad.

BTW, I am heading off to Tarkarli / Vengurla beach this month and will post my travelogue on my return.

Last edited by Chewbacca : 5th November 2010 at 05:16.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote