Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2012, 00:28   #556
BHPian
 
indian21r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 733
Thanked: 262 Times
Default Re: Leh and Ladakh - Trip Planning - All queries go here

Hi HVK,

The pax who planned to join us have dropped. So it is just 3 of us now.

We may have to stop over for both Amritsar and Vaishno Devi, so I was thinking instead of doing via Delhi, I can have my car come from Hyderabad to Pune where they will pick me up on June 1st itself. From here I hope to cover Pune- Udaipur - Amritsar in a Couple of days time, June 2nd & 3rd. Will this be doable in Innova (2 drivers) or should I give some buffer. I have seen urban legend's route. I am thinking of halt in Udaipur and start early again the next day.

June 1st, Hyderabad to Pune Driver will get the car.
June 2nd, Pune - Mumbai - Ahmedabad - Udaipur/Beawar (Can start in Pune by 2 or 3 am and would like to cover maximum distance this day)
June 3rd, Udaipur/Beawar, Ajmer, Kishangarh-Makrana-Ladnun-Ratangad-Sardarshahr-Rewatsar-Hanumangarh-Abohar-Fazilka-Ferozepur-Zira-Taran Taran-Amritsar ( uraban legend route. Have to be here to meet my sisters who will reach by after noon flight). If 2 days will be tight, then I will book flight for my sisters on 4th. We will see Golden Temple and Wagha that evening.

June 4th or 5th Amritsar - Katra Followed by Darshan at temple
June 5th or 6th Katra - Srinagar (for the rest of the itinerary dates will move accordingly)

One query in general about safety in Leh. Now that I will be traveling alone with my sisters, is it advised to have another person at hand. Can I get local drivers in case of emergency?
indian21r is offline  
Old 29th May 2012, 07:33   #557
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,354 Times
Default Re: Leh and Ladakh - Trip Planning - All queries go here

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
June 1st, Hyderabad to Pune Driver will get the car.
June 2nd, Pune - Mumbai - Ahmedabad - Udaipur/Beawar (Can start in Pune by 2 or 3 am and would like to cover maximum distance this day)
June 3rd, Udaipur/Beawar, Ajmer, Kishangarh-Makrana-Ladnun-Ratangad-Sardarshahr-Rewatsar-Hanumangarh-Abohar-Fazilka-Ferozepur-Zira-Taran Taran-Amritsar ( uraban legend route. Have to be here to meet my sisters who will reach by after noon flight). If 2 days will be tight, then I will book flight for my sisters on 4th. We will see Golden Temple and Wagha that evening.
It will be a hectic run to reach Amritsar in 2 days, but can be done. Early morning start, no/limited-break drive. You can target Chittorgarh itself on Day 1. You will reach Amritsar only late night, so if you plan any sightseeing, schedule it for the next day.

Quote:
One query in general about safety in Leh. Now that I will be traveling alone with my sisters, is it advised to have another person at hand. Can I get local drivers in case of emergency?
There are no safety issues in Ladakh. I drove to Ladakh in the year 2003 with only 2 ladies in my car! It is possible to hire drivers in Ladakh.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2012, 16:33   #558
BHPian
 
Devrishi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: CNB
Posts: 74
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Re: Leh and Ladakh - Trip Planning - All queries go here

Okay... Leaving on 31st May for Manali & Keylong in my Fortuner:

Kanpur > Delhi > Manali > Keylong > Baralacha la > Keylong > Manali > Delhi > Kanpur

Trip from 31st May to 10th June

anyone from team-bhp there in those days??

:-)
Devrishi is offline  
Old 31st May 2012, 08:48   #559
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Thane
Posts: 70
Thanked: 47 Times
Default Re: Leh and Ladakh - Trip Planning - All queries go here

Planning to go to drive up (Vento 1.6 Diesel, Me n my Wife) from Thane - Delhi - Jammu - Srinagar - Kargil - Leh and return journey through the Manali Leh highway if officially open and in Ok condition.

Following is the Plan
Day 1 - 9-June-12 Sat -Thane (2:30 am start) to Delhi.Overnight at Delhi.
Day 2 - 10-Jun Sun : Delhi (7:30 am start) to Jammu.Overnight at Delhi.(Need help on best route)
Day 3 - 11-Jun Mon Jammu (7:00 am start) to Srinagar
Day 4 - 12-Jun Tue- Local Sight Seeing at Srinagar and stay overnight.
Day 5 - 13-June Wed - Srinagar to Kargil - Overnight at Kargil
Day 6 - 14-June Thu - Kargil to Leh.
Day 7 - 15 June - Fri Local Sighseeing and Permits.
Day 8 - 16 June - Sat Drive to Khardungla and back to leh.
Day 9 - 17-June- Leh - Pangong So - Spangmik Village.Overnight at Camp Watermark.
Day 10 Return Journey depending on road conditions to decide wether to come back via Manali or via Kargil -Srinagar.

Need your opinions on the plan.
If the Pangong so - Manali strecth will be ok in a Vento (2 People only).If yes then what should be the route and itenary.
Also inputs on the best route from Delhi to Jammu.
Any other feedback suggestion is welcome and will be of great help.
Swift Express is offline  
Old 31st May 2012, 10:01   #560
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,354 Times
Default Re: Leh and Ladakh - Trip Planning - All queries go here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift Express View Post
Day 1 - 9-June-12 Sat -Thane (2:30 am start) to Delhi.Overnight at Delhi.
Very tough to do Bombay-Delhi in a day unless you are a very steady fast driver, without taking any breaks. In today's Jaipur-Delhi condition, do not expect to arrive in Delhi before early morning hours.

But then why are you going through Delhi?
Why don't you stay at Kishangarh on Day 1, then take the Bhatinda superhighway to Hanumangarh, then Abohar, MOga & Jalandhar?

Quote:
Day 2 - 10-Jun Sun : Delhi (7:30 am start) to Jammu.Overnight at Delhi.(Need help on best route)
Straightfoward route on NH1/NH1A - via Panipat, Karnal, Ambala, Ludhiana, Jalandhar & Pathankot.
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2012, 10:32   #561
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Thane
Posts: 70
Thanked: 47 Times
Default Re: Leh and Ladakh - Trip Planning - All queries go here

[quote=hvkumar;2794193]Very tough to do Bombay-Delhi in a day unless you are a very steady fast driver, without taking any breaks. In today's Jaipur-Delhi condition, do not expect to arrive in Delhi before early morning hours.

But then why are you going through Delhi?
Why don't you stay at Kishangarh on Day 1, then take the Bhatinda superhighway to Hanumangarh, then Abohar, MOga & Jalandhar?

Thanks HVK Sir for your prompt reply. Just checked out the route suggested by you on Google Map.Distance wise also i feel this is a better bet and will avoid the traffic in delhi and outskirts.

However how is the condition of the road is it an exp hghwy - toll road.

In Dec 2010 had driven a swift from thane (2:30 am ) and had reached Jaipur by 6:45 pm and hence had thought that reaching delhi would be feasible in one day.
Swift Express is offline  
Old 31st May 2012, 12:04   #562
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,354 Times
Default Re: Leh and Ladakh - Trip Planning - All queries go here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift Express View Post
Thanks HVK Sir for your prompt reply. Just checked out the route suggested by you on Google Map.Distance wise also i feel this is a better bet and will avoid the traffic in delhi and outskirts.

However how is the condition of the road is it an exp hghwy - toll road.
Fantastic road till Hanumangarh. You can do consistently top speeds. No facilities though. If you stay back in Kishangarh - or Ratangad/Sardarshahr after that - you can easily reach Amritsar before end of day, or skip Amritsar and reach Pathankot.

Quote:
In Dec 2010 had driven a swift from thane (2:30 am ) and had reached Jaipur by 6:45 pm and hence had thought that reaching delhi would be feasible in one day.
Yes, you will reach Jaipur, but Jaipur-Delhi is in a bad shape and at the time of day you arrive there, it will be a total mess and heavy traffic congestion, delaying you. The minimum Jaipur-Delhi drive at that time takes 5-6 hours nowadays.
hvkumar is offline  
Old 31st May 2012, 13:10   #563
BHPian
 
indian21r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 733
Thanked: 262 Times
Default Re: Leh and Ladakh - Trip Planning - All queries go here

Will learner's license suffice as Identity proof for innerline permits in Leh Ladakh. She has a passport which expired. Apart from that she has college ID with photograph.
indian21r is offline  
Old 31st May 2012, 18:30   #564
Newbie
 
SunnyPaaji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Gurgaon, Amritsar
Posts: 14
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Leh and Ladakh - Trip Planning - All queries go here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devrishi View Post
Okay... Leaving on 31st May for Manali & Keylong in my Fortuner:

Kanpur > Delhi > Manali > Keylong > Baralacha la > Keylong > Manali > Delhi > Kanpur

Trip from 31st May to 10th June

anyone from team-bhp there in those days??

:-)
I am leaving tomorrow (June 1st), 9pm. Taking srinagar route to avoid permit hassle and AMS.

Our trip is from June 1 to June 9 (delhi-srinagar-Leh-Manali-Delhi).
SunnyPaaji is offline  
Old 1st June 2012, 08:09   #565
BHPian
 
indian21r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 733
Thanked: 262 Times
Default Re: Leh and Ladakh - Trip Planning - All queries go here

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
Will learner's license suffice as Identity proof for innerline permits in Leh Ladakh. She has a passport which expired. Apart from that she has college ID with photograph.
Quoting my own post. Checked with Section officer Mr Dorjay in DC Leh, who informed that this should be ok for Indians

Update. My Car has Started from Hyderabad. The first leg of the journey has taken off. Will start the travelouge at the earliest for this.
indian21r is offline  
Old 1st June 2012, 15:24   #566
BHPian
 
urban_legend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 118
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Leh and Ladakh - Trip Planning - All queries go here

Its official guys - Manali - Leh road is open for traffic!

Source: www.leh.nic.in
urban_legend is offline  
Old 1st June 2012, 15:41   #567
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: India
Posts: 592
Thanked: 648 Times
Cool Re: Leh and Ladakh - Trip Planning - All queries go here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift Express View Post
In Dec 2010 had driven a swift from thane (2:30 am ) and had reached Jaipur by 6:45 pm and hence had thought that reaching delhi would be feasible in one day.
Leaving Jaipur for Delhi in the evening with THOUSANDS of other truckers is really a bad idea. They create jams at all intersections, small towns and toll plazas on the highway.

The best time to leave Jaipur for Delhi should be between 01:00 AM till 03:00 PM. If you are taking this route then plan your departure from Thane accordingly.


Cheers!
Irish
Irish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2012, 19:09   #568
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Thane
Posts: 70
Thanked: 47 Times
Default

Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote (Quote +) instead. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
Quoting my own post. Checked with Section officer Mr Dorjay in DC Leh, who informed that this should be ok for Indians

Update. My Car has Started from Hyderabad. The first leg of the journey has taken off. Will start the travelouge at the earliest for this.
Wish you a Safe Drive and Njoy . I would be in Leh on 14-June-12. Going Via Srinagar Kargil. Will wait for the update from your end on Leh Manali Road condition and accordingly decide if to take the said route on the way bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
Leaving Jaipur for Delhi in the evening with THOUSANDS of other truckers is really a bad idea. They create jams at all intersections, small towns and toll plazas on the highway.

The best time to leave Jaipur for Delhi should be between 01:00 AM till 03:00 PM. If you are taking this route then plan your departure from Thane accordingly.


Cheers!
Irish
Thanks Irish. Received the same advice from Indian GPS Man HVK Sir.....
Guess I should stay over at Jaipur and try for a early morning Dash. But is it safe drive at 3:00 or 4:00 am on this belt i.e. Jaipur - Delhi. If i leave late from Thane - Mumbai will get traffic here.

Other Option is to take the Bhatinda Higwhway from Kishangarh as advised by HVK Sir. But the issue is that wanted to reach Jammu on Day 2 so that i can reach srinagar on Day 3 by 1:00 noon i.e. leaving Jammu early in the morning.Taking this option would mean that i would lag behind .

Last edited by Jaggu : 2nd June 2012 at 21:24. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote (Quote +) instead. Thanks
Swift Express is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2012, 21:54   #569
Team-BHP Support
 
.anshuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Good-Gaon
Posts: 7,708
Thanked: 8,928 Times
Default Re: Leh and Ladakh - Trip Planning - All queries go here

Due to unavoidable circumstances i had to drive last night from Jaipur to Gurgaon. With relaxed driving managed the stretch in 5 hours. Dealing with trucks can be very frustrating, not impossible for those who are not in hurry and can stay calm. For me DSG was god sent, a huge stress absorber, drove close to 800 kms yesterday..

Last edited by .anshuman : 2nd June 2012 at 21:58.
.anshuman is offline  
Old 2nd June 2012, 22:28   #570
BHPian
 
pramods's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Nagpur
Posts: 873
Thanked: 397 Times
Default

Done the Leh trip, went via Srinagar and came via Manali, started on 19th May and returned yesterday 1st June, incase anybody is planning currently Manali route is in better shape the Srinagar, Zojila was in worst shape and Kargil Leh too was in bad shape, even though both the La after Kargil are tarred but everything else is in bad shape. Manali is more of patience game because of tourist going toward Rohtang and making a complete mess with Parking, I have to spend 3hours at Marhi because of traffic jam!

Barlacha was good with tar road and just Snow all across, Tanlagla from Leh side is tarred while the descends is bad because of water and mud, will need some caution with 2wd, Rohtang was ok but need some caution with water and no road at few places, at some places there are land slides that are regularly cleared and that creates some difficulties with car ground clearance.
TSO Morriri last 30kms are as usual bad, while at Gayk BRO is greeting the bridge repaired and I had a very difficult time because of Dozer just made the road and it's was just cleared the road for trucks and I had Yeti!


-Pramod
pramods is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Formal dressing and tailoring for all occassions (EDIT: Put all your queries here) manaa45 Shifting gears 77 13th November 2017 11:47
Mission Leh! Four people, one scorpio and one helluva road trip! (Delhi-Leh Sep 2011) speed crusader Travelogues 15 11th July 2012 19:50
The mother of all trips: Exploration Ladakh, destination Leh abk Travelogues 87 22nd February 2010 16:50


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:43.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks