Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Closed Thread

Old 9th August 2012, 17:36   #691
BHPian

Default Re: Leh and Ladakh - Trip Planning - All queries go here

Just came to Know that a colleague who was doing Leh Ladakh from my office in Mumbai had to turn back due to landslide on Jammu-Srinagar. He was doing the same route that I did from Mumbai. (Mumbai -Udaipur - Kishangarh- Abohar- Pathankot - Srinagar).

In between this post has a review of the hotels that we stayed during the trip in June 2012
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post2861381 (Middle Earth to Paradise in Pushpaka Vimanam)
Old 11th August 2012, 17:02   #692
BHPian

As a follow up to my trip last year I am driving to Leh from Mumbai in my gypsy starting Aug 30 and returning mid Sep. Anyone on the forum with same plan?
Old 11th August 2012, 18:15   #693
Team-BHP Support

This post is not to scare travelers but just for their awareness.

One may get nice clean crispy blue sky at this time of the year also and it's a matter of luck.
High altitude passes like Khardungla and Changla often get packed with traffic because of their narrow entry/exit roads.
Best thing to do is to start as early as possible to avoid heavy traffic.
For both Khardungla and Changla, I would say 6am is a good time to leave from Leh/Nubra/Pangong. Earlier you leave, less traffic you face.

Clear sky also means sun is stronger to open up large mass of snow from any weak joint.
This phenomenon worries the local taxi drivers most. Our taxi driver (from this years short trip) is one of the best according to lots of tour operators from Leh.
He told me about this three days before heading for Nubra and forced us to leave hotel by 6.
He was also aware that I'll stop on the road for long (for shoot of course) as and when I wish.

We crossed Khardungla around 9.30 in the morning on June 15th. It was more or less clean all the way.
Around 12.30 a huge mass of snow chucked out an Innova 30 feet down.. right after the India gate. What quantity of snow it takes to throw out an almost 2300kg mass out of the road?
There was a Xylo right behind and got totally covered with snow. Driver of Xylo apparently kicked and smashed opened the windshield to push out his passengers. He came out and fainted.
Xylo tourists were saved but unfortunate tourists from Innova died on their way to Leh. Massive shock and heart failure therefore. I believe they were an elderly couple.

Army/BRO took two days to pull out the Innova. I saw that car on our way back from Nubra on 17th June.

Again, this note is not to scare anybody.
Just be careful.
Nature there is wonderful and unpredictable at the same time.

Bon voyage.

Leh and Ladakh - Trip Planning - All queries go here-1.jpg

Leh and Ladakh - Trip Planning - All queries go here-2.jpg

Leh and Ladakh - Trip Planning - All queries go here-3.jpg
Rudra Sen is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th August 2012, 13:09   #694
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
I would say 6am is a good time to leave from Leh/Nubra/Pangong. Earlier you leave, less traffic you face. We crossed Khardungla around 9.30 in the morning on June 15th. It was more or less clean all the way.
We were also on this road on 15th June. We started early from Leh @ 5:30 am and were one of the first to reach South Pullu by 6:40 am. But about 4 km from K top @ 7:40 am, we faced a lot of ice sheet on the road. Our Innova started fish tailing and at one place got stuck in snow. Local truck drivers stopped to help us out. One of them offered to cross the snow stretch but he could not drive more than 30m. So they advised us to wait for an hour to allow the snow to melt. At the same time a few cars behind us also waited for snow to melt. Only those drivers who had chains on the tires drove confidently.

Finally @ 9 am we drove again, after seeing other Innova's and Xylo's cross successfully. We were told that cars normally start from 7 am at Leh to avoid such black ice sheets. We reached K-top by 9:30 am.

I guess starting time should be based on the weather at that place at that point of time

Quote:
Around 12.30 a huge mass of snow chucked out an Innova 30 feet down.. right after the India gate.
There was a Xylo right behind and got totally covered with snow.

Army/BRO took two days to pull out the Innova. I saw that car on our way back from Nubra on 17th June.
We heard about this incident from a taxi driver in Diskit. There was supposedly a sudden avalanche in which 2 vehicles got stuck but no causalities. I am really sorry to hear now that people died. We also returned on 17th (near K-top at 12:30 pm), but we did not see any remains of this incident.

Quote:
[b]Again, this note is not to scare anybody. Just be careful.
Nature there is wonderful and unpredictable at the same time.
Totally true. We need to take maximum care possible because of the uncertain weather conditions.
Old 22nd August 2012, 11:47   #695
BHPian

Guys, am planning a trip to leh (delhi-srinagar-leh-manali-delhi) in mid sep. The plan is as under,
1) 14th Sep night - leave delhi by about 11/11.45pm
2) 15th Sep- reach srinagar by about 2pm
3) 16th Sep - sight seeing (gulmarg etc)
4) 17th Sep - drive to drass and kargil (halt at kargil)
5) 18th Sep - kargil to leh (halt at leh)
6) 19th Sep - rest day/ getting permits, local sight seeing
7) 20th Sep - Khurdangla/ hunder and return to leh
8) 21st Sep - leh to pangong tso (stay at pangong tso)
9) 22nd Sep - Pangong tso to Tso moriri (halt at tso moriri)
10) 23rd Sep - Tso moriri to Manali (stay at manali)
11) 24th Sep - Manali to delhi

Is the plan practical?

Also, need some advices on stay options at this time of year at pangong tso and tso moriri.

oh, i will be driving with my wife and dad (i am the only driver, dad can drive, but only in emergency) in a Fiat Siena 1.6 (will i require extra fuel for leh pangong tso-tso moriri-manali trip? (the car has a 44 ltr tank including 4 ltr reserve)

Also, the road conditions would be really helpful (for a sedan)

Last edited by D-nav : 22nd August 2012 at 11:48.
Old 22nd August 2012, 11:57   #696
Team-BHP Support

When driving to Tso Moriri from Pangong Tso, you will touch "Karu". Here you will get fuel.
However, Tso Moriri to Manali only has Tandi in between, and that sometimes run out of fuel.

I suggest you always carry around 15L extra in a jerrycan for emergency
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2012, 12:01   #697
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-nav View Post
Guys, am planning a trip to leh (delhi-srinagar-leh-manali-delhi) in mid sep. The plan is as under,
1) 14th Sep night - leave delhi by about 11/11.45pm
2) 15th Sep- reach srinagar by about 2pm
Difficult, considering the high traffic on Jammu-Srinagar highway & the road widening work in Jammu-Udhampur section. Better peg arrival in Srinagar by evening 7 pm.

Quote:
7) 20th Sep - Khurdangla/ hunder and return to leh
I thought they do not allow vehicles up from North Pullu check post after 4 pm? Please check, if that is so, it is impossible to return the same day to Leh.

Quote:
Also, need some advices on stay options at this time of year at pangong tso and tso moriri.
Lots of options, depending on your budget. Do not do any advanace booking or through agents, they will be at least 2x more expensive compared to what you can haggle if you walk in. Try stay options in Lukung, Spangimik for Pangong - high end being the Marisimik la Camp & Watermark Resorts, the ow-end being the tea shop on the banks of Pangong at Lukung & several guest houses/ homestays at Spangimik. In Karzok/Tso Moriri, high-end is Nomadic Life Camp.

Quote:
oh, i will be driving with my wife and dad (i am the only driver, dad can drive, but only in emergency) in a Fiat Siena 1.6 (will i require extra fuel for leh pangong tso-tso moriri-manali trip? (the car has a 44 ltr tank including 4 ltr reserve)
Yes, you will need to carry at least 20 litres extra fuel since there are no petrol pumps between Karu (30 kms from Leh) till Tandi (10 kms beyond Keylong).

Quote:
Also, the road conditions would be really helpful (for a sedan)
Expect tough time in Chang la-Darbuk (en route Pangong), take care in the unfinished portions of road in More Plains (deep sand).
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2012, 12:25   #698
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
When driving to Tso Moriri from Pangong Tso, you will touch "Karu". Here you will get fuel.
However, Tso Moriri to Manali only has Tandi in between, and that sometimes run out of fuel.

I suggest you always carry around 15L extra in a jerrycan for emergency
Actually i was planning the Pangong tso, Man, Merak, Chushul and Niyoma to Tso Moriri (as tavlled by SStraveller (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ksilver-9.html (Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) Roadtrip: Leh(t)'s go to Ladakh & Srinagar with QuickSilver.))
Old 22nd August 2012, 12:29   #699
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Difficult, considering the high traffic on Jammu-Srinagar highway & the road widening work in Jammu-Udhampur section. Better peg arrival in Srinagar by evening 7 pm.
... take care in the unfinished portions of road in More Plains (deep sand).
Dear Kumar, i was expecting a reply from you. thanks for the same.

I also need some help for the permits. Considering my plan, for where all should i get permit for? (khurdang la, hunder, chang la , pangong tso, tso moriri and tso kar (i forgot to mention it earlier))
Old 22nd August 2012, 12:35   #700
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually i was planning the Pangong tso, Man, Merak, Chushul and Niyoma to Tso Moriri (as tavlled by SStraveller (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ksilver-9.html (Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) Roadtrip: Leh(t)'s go to Ladakh & Srinagar with QuickSilver.))
Currently, they are not issuing permits for the Merak-Chushul-Loma sector. But if you do that, add 20 litres (20+20) extra fuel.

Quote:
I also need some help for the permits. Considering my plan, for where all should i get permit for? (khurdang la, hunder, chang la , pangong tso, tso moriri and tso kar (i forgot to mention it earlier))
Add Mahe also.
If doing Chushul, then Merak, Chushul, Loma
If doing Hanle also, add Hanle
Old 22nd August 2012, 12:51   #701
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Currently, they are not issuing permits for the Merak-Chushul-Loma sector. But if you do that, add 20 litres (20+20) extra fuel.
Just the one person I know, who went through that route this year - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post2833473 (A journey through Leh & Ladakh – Barren beauty at its best).
Old 22nd August 2012, 13:24   #702
Team-BHP Support

Yes, lot of people were denied the route this year. Very few could go through.
See this
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ac-ladakh.html (Permits on hold for areas close to LAC in Ladakh)
Old 24th August 2012, 16:44   #703
Team-BHP Support

Leaving for Ladakh tomorrow. Will take Srinagar route. Anyone else travelling in next 10 days on the route?
Old 26th August 2012, 11:13   #704
Senior - BHPian

Hey Travellers,

After going through TONS of TL's & writing tons of TL's for road trips done by me across India it's finally time to announce the BIG DADDY of all road trips.

I'm going to get LEH'ed on 1st Sept 2012 on my 2012 Safari Dicor , OH did i actually type that ( rubbing my eyes to see if i actually did ). After travelling across the country MULTIPLE times on my 800 , Alto, Spark & Bullet it's finally time to BEAT it all and go on my DREAM road trip to LEH.

Here is the plan -

•Car - 2012 TATA Safari Dicor

•Passengers - Me , Wifey , FIL & MIL

• ORIGINAL Route - DL - Manali - Sarchu - Leh - Srinagar - DL ( GOT TO KNOW THAT THIS ROUTE IS FULL OF KNEE DEEP SLUSH & ICE SO NOW I NEED GUIDANCE ON THE ALTERNATE ROUTE )

•Date - Start on 1st sept & reach back DL on 9th Sept

Preparations
•Drove the Dicor almost through entire DL - PB - CH - HR - MP - RJ..Faced Multiple issues and in the process to get them fixed but looks fit enough to do this stretch

•Leaves = approved and hopefully wont get cancelled
•warm clothes ready

Challenges/Recommendations needed

•How are the latest road conditions

•Whats the latest weather condition

•Hotels recommended to stay - So that i can make the bookings right away

•Any other place to be visited within this time limit - I'm ready not to sleep for a minute but cover everything possible

•Any passes needed ?

Thanks in Advance for your responses
Old 26th August 2012, 12:02   #705
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Leaving for Ladakh tomorrow. Will take Srinagar route. Anyone else travelling in next 10 days on the route?
Yes on 1st sept , I'll HAVE to take that route due to road blocks reported @ Rohtang pass
Closed Thread