Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Closed Thread

Old 15th December 2012, 12:14   #751
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Leh and Ladakh - Trip Planning - All queries go here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Nothing and nobody can get me a guest house room at Leh at present. The only hotel open appears to be the Grand Dragon (thanks, but I can't afford their rates). In a dilemma about whether we'll actually go as scheduled, or not. It would be a big disappointment if we don't.
Try the shanti guest house, and the others like Oriental. If you are seriously thinking of going, let me know, will give you the number of a good Taxi guy. He will also guide you to good budget accommodation
Old 23rd December 2012, 22:28   #752
BHPian

Default Chennai - Leh (Starting to Plan for a 2013 Travel)

To all Travel Gurus,

I am Planning a Chennai - LEH trip in 2013. Lots of questions lingering in my mind as 2013 is nearing. Most importantly, I need to give a heads up for a long vacation (may be 20 working days!!) in my office and its a tough ask actually. I am penning down some of my questions. Pls guide me..

I will be travelling in my XUV W6 along with my Wife and my 5 yr old daughter.

I am planning LEH via SRINAGAR and KARGIL.

Keeping this in mind, pls help in answering some of my questions.

1. What is the BEST time to go to LEH / Ladakh? I am aware that the Zozilla pass opens by May end.

2. What is the BEST TIME to cross MUMBAI keeping in mind the monsoons. I dont want to be on wet roads out and out (atleast not in lashing rains).

3. I have thought the following route and plan -

Day 1 - Chennai BLR (after office hrs)
Day 2 - BLR - Pune (~14 hrs Day Drive)
Day 3 - Pune - Udaipur (~14hrs Day Drive)
Day 4 - Udaipur - Delhi (~12 hrs Day Drive) or can I do Udaipur - Jalandar or Chandigarh in one day?? In this case I can save a day actually..
Day 5 - Delhi - Pathankot (~10 hrs Day Drive)
Day 6 - Pathankot - Srinagar (~8 hrs Day Drive)
Day 7 - Srinagar - Kargil (??)
Day 8 - Kargil - Leh/Ladakh
Day 9 TILL 14 - Leh / Nubra / Pangong etc. (I have not thought about this yet) - 6 Days - Is this enough??
Day 15 - Leh - Kargil
Day 16 - Kargil - Srinagar
Day 17 - Srinagar - Pathankot
Day 18 - Pathankot - Agra (~12hrs Day Drive)
Day 19 - AGRA (Halt)
Day 20 - Agra - Jaisalmar (~14 hrs day drive) - Is this possible?
Day 21 - Jaisalmer (Halt)
Day 22 - Jodhpur (Halt)
Day 23 - Jodhpur - Pune (~17hrs) - Is this Possible??
Day 25 - Pune - Goa (~8 hrs)
Day 26 - Goa
Day 27 - Goa
Day 28 - Goa - BLR (~14hrs)
Day 29 - Chennai (Return)

Is this doable??? Can this be cut short by any ways? Is this a very relaxed plan? I am fine to drive 14 hrs a day.

Pls help me with the best time (June till October??) and the plan.

-Sathya
Old 24th December 2012, 00:41   #753
BHPian

Sathya ac
Hi
Give athought to going via Jaisalmer/Jodhpur to Srinagar and come back via Srinagar Delhi Agra etc.
According to me you will save time and distance.Please do check the distances on the web and see if the route is shorter.
It is a very good road with less traffic.
Somebody took this toute last year.Will give details later.
Please do spend time for acclimitisation.That is important as you are travelling with a child.
Regards
faustus77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2012, 02:09   #754
BHPian

Default Re: Chennai - Leh (Starting to Plan for a 2013 Travel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc View Post

I am Planning a Chennai - LEH trip in 2013.
Hi Sathya,

There is group going to Ladakh in Aug 2013. There are confirmed people from Bangalore, Hyderabad, Mumbai and Chennai. You might want to join us.

The Bangalore group is leaving on the 25th of Aug. There are cars like the Manza, Vista, Nano, Sumo, XUV, Duster on the trip. There are many coming along with ther better halfs. The below link will take you to the trip plan:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...-2013-a-7.html (Looking for Ladakh long drive-mates in August 2013)

We have an FB page named: LEC:Ladakh Explorers Club. You can join the same if you wish to join our drive.
Old 24th December 2012, 08:56   #755
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
Hi Sathya,

There is group going to Ladakh in Aug 2013. There are confirmed people from Bangalore, Hyderabad, Mumbai and Chennai. You might want to join us.

The Bangalore group is leaving on the 25th of Aug. There are cars like the Manza, Vista, Nano, Sumo, XUV, Duster on the trip. There are many coming along with ther better halfs. The below link will take you to the trip plan:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...-2013-a-7.html (Looking for Ladakh long drive-mates in August 2013)

We have an FB page named: LEC:Ladakh Explorers Club. You can join the same if you wish to join our drive.
Thanks mate. I will go through the thread in detail. Thanks a lot.
Old 24th December 2012, 09:08   #756
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks mate. I will go through the thread in detail. Thanks a lot.
Hi Sathya, glad to know that you are also planning a Leh trip we have one group member Satyaprakash who was searching for folks coming from Chennai.

By the way below is our itinerary, if your dates coincides with these then you are welcome to join the convoy. Currently as of Dec we are 7 cars in total from Blr, Mumbai, and Hyderabad.

We have chosen Aug & Sept is because these are the best two months to do this trip.

Name:  Leh2013.png
Views: 16012
Size:  16.3 KB
motomaverick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2012, 11:43   #757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post

We have chosen Aug & Sept is because these are the best two months to do this trip.

Attachment 1030222
Sure. The only concern is about the school of my daughter making some noise for the extended leave.

I was more gunning for May 31st to Leave from Chennai and reach Chennai back by end of June. I know monsson in Mumbai is going to be a pain while I return. Is June a bad time to do this trip??

Just confused with the dates / months for the travel. Will make up my mind and let you know guys. Thanks a ton.
Old 24th December 2012, 12:21   #758
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sure. The only concern is about the school of my daughter making some noise for the extended leave.

I was more gunning for May 31st to Leave from Chennai and reach Chennai back by end of June. I know monsson in Mumbai is going to be a pain while I return. Is June a bad time to do this trip??

Just confused with the dates / months for the travel. Will make up my mind and let you know guys. Thanks a ton.
I have heard that May the roads just open after the snow melts. June I am not sure but July is again monsoons I think. I will let the Ladakh veterans answer that.

To all Ladakh Veterans

What are the accommodation facility available in Tso Moriri in Sept first week?
Old 24th December 2012, 22:57   #759
BHPian

Quote:
Is June a bad time to do this trip??
Have heard that in May/June, many a times the roads are blocked for days for removal of snow. You don't want to get stuck in a situation, wherein you are sitting in Sarchu for the road ahead to open or not able to move beyond Leh and visit other passes.

Aug/Sep are the best seasons with moderate climate and conditions.
Old 24th December 2012, 23:52   #760
BHPian

Sathya sc
Hi
As mentioned in my earlier post the member who took that route was Off Roadie.
Please send a PM to him and he would definitely reply.He is very helpful.
In case you want this information urgently please send PM right away as he would be going out of Bombay after a couple of days.
Once again I would suggest that you go via Srinagar nd spend more time enroute to acclimatise
Regards
Old 8th January 2013, 09:15   #761
Senior - BHPian

It just came to my mind that our dates are coinciding with the Ladakh Festival dates from 1st to 15th Sept. So I guess during this time Leh will be super crowded and so will it be difficult to get accommodations as well as permits to off beat locations and routes? Also how is the scenario in the entire region during these festivities.
Old 8th January 2013, 09:21   #762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It just came to my mind that our dates are coinciding with the Ladakh Festival dates from 1st to 15th Sept. So I guess during this time Leh will be super crowded and so will it be difficult to get accommodations as well as permits to off beat locations and routes? Also how is the scenario in the entire region during these festivities.
Not to worry, business as usual. You will get acco as well as permits with ease.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2013, 09:25   #763
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Not to worry, business as usual. You will get acco as well as permits with ease.
Ok cool, thanks for the info. I read that entire region is under the festive mood so I thought there will be large influx of foreign tourists and the DC office also might be closed on certain dates.

Any ideas apart from Sat & Sun which other dates is the DC office closed. It said public holidays but I am unable to get a list of Ladakh specific public holiday list
Old 8th January 2013, 09:27   #764
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok cool, thanks for the info. I read that entire region is under the festive mood so I thought there will be large influx of foreign tourists and the DC office also might be closed on certain dates.

Any ideas apart from Sat & Sun which other dates is the DC office closed. It said public holidays but I am unable to get a list of Ladakh specific public holiday list
No, don't worry about public holidays & Sat/Sun either. On Sundays, they issue permits between 2-3 pm, and I think they follow the same system on other holidays too. In Ladakh, even Govt goes out all the way to make tourists feel welcome.

Last edited by moralfibre : 9th January 2013 at 10:17. Reason: Correcting spelling
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2013, 12:58   #765
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Just look up JK holidays from JK govt website and you are good.
Though DC office opens on holidays, its done usually when there is huge rush. Do not count on it.
As for 1-15th sept, the rush is much less compared to the June-July months when Leh gets fully crowded.
Closed Thread