Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2011, 06:41   #151
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,596
Thanked: 8,573 Times
Default Re: 4-Laning Work starts in Avinashi-Coimbatore stretch of NH47

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
+1. I agree with Amp.

I did the Salem-Cbe NH47 last weekend. After the over night rain, the stretch from Chengapalli-Cbe was not fine for me atleast. Also, even with the Cbe bypass, it took lot of time to get past the cbe city. You can seriously consider this option as of now.

Edit:- Amp, since he is travelling to Thrissur, why not he consider taking Pollachi-Vadakkenchery route?
If its Trichur, definitely worth taking the Pollachi-Vadakkenchery route. May be CBE by-pass may not be that bad after all. But with rain and slush, it would be not good driving through that section, but take the Pollachi option.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2011, 10:40   #152
BHPian
 
modthomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Tel Aviv
Posts: 61
Thanked: Once
Default Re: 4-Laning Work starts in Avinashi-Coimbatore stretch of NH47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If its Trichur, definitely worth taking the Pollachi-Vadakkenchery route. May be CBE by-pass may not be that bad after all. But with rain and slush, it would be not good driving through that section, but take the Pollachi option.
I need to go to Thrissur from Bangalore on Monday. Got onto Google Maps after reading the above post.
Would this route be NH47 till Erode > Chengapalli > SH81 > Kangeyam > NH67 > Palladam > SH19 > Pollachi > then Meenakshipuram > Kollengode > Nemmara > Vaddakanchery?

Would like some input on road conditions and how small town transit will affect us.

Thanks
modthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2011, 12:40   #153
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,045
Thanked: 140 Times
Default Re: 4-Laning Work starts in Avinashi-Coimbatore stretch of NH47

Quote:
Originally Posted by modthomas View Post
I need to go to Thrissur from Bangalore on Monday. Got onto Google Maps after reading the above post.
Would this route be NH47 till Erode > Chengapalli > SH81 > Kangeyam > NH67 > Palladam > SH19 > Pollachi > then Meenakshipuram > Kollengode > Nemmara > Vaddakanchery?

Would like some input on road conditions and how small town transit will affect us.

Thanks
The right route for you would be Salem - Perundurai - Kangeyam - Dharapuram - Pollachi - Vadakkencherry - Trichur. I may not be able to confirm you on the road conditions beyond Pollachi. But it is good until then. What you need to be careful of is taking the turn off to Perundurai from NH47 as it is easy to miss and continue onward towards Chengapalli especially when you are driving fast. Passing through towns like Kangeyam would be easy, you might lose some time in Pollachi but nothing to worry about.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2011, 13:21   #154
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,596
Thanked: 8,573 Times
Default Re: 4-Laning Work starts in Avinashi-Coimbatore stretch of NH47

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
The right route for you would be Salem - Perundurai - Kangeyam - Dharapuram - Pollachi - Vadakkencherry - Trichur. I may not be able to confirm you on the road conditions beyond Pollachi. But it is good until then. What you need to be careful of is taking the turn off to Perundurai from NH47 as it is easy to miss and continue onward towards Chengapalli especially when you are driving fast. Passing through towns like Kangeyam would be easy, you might lose some time in Pollachi but nothing to worry about.

Instead of going to Dharapuram, better to turn at Kangeyam, go to Palladam and then take the Pollachi SH. Very good roads and less traffic.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2011, 15:32   #155
BHPian
 
modthomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Tel Aviv
Posts: 61
Thanked: Once
Default Re: 4-Laning Work starts in Avinashi-Coimbatore stretch of NH47

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
The right route for you would be Salem - Perundurai - Kangeyam - Dharapuram - Pollachi - Vadakkencherry - Trichur. I may not be able to confirm you on the road conditions beyond Pollachi. But it is good until then. What you need to be careful of is taking the turn off to Perundurai from NH47 as it is easy to miss and continue onward towards Chengapalli especially when you are driving fast. Passing through towns like Kangeyam would be easy, you might lose some time in Pollachi but nothing to worry about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Instead of going to Dharapuram, better to turn at Kangeyam, go to Palladam and then take the Pollachi SH. Very good roads and less traffic.
Thanks guys. Anyone has recent experience of the road from Pollachi to Vadakkenchery?
modthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2011, 16:22   #156
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,596
Thanked: 8,573 Times
Default Re: 4-Laning Work starts in Avinashi-Coimbatore stretch of NH47

The pollachi-Vaddakancheri is a decent SH. I think @Rameshnanda used this recently.
You should check with him.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2011, 19:04   #157
Senior - BHPian
 
rameshnanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,231
Thanked: 813 Times
Default Re: 4-Laning Work starts in Avinashi-Coimbatore stretch of NH47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The pollachi-Vaddakancheri is a decent SH. I think @Rameshnanda used this recently.
You should check with him.
No Amp. I didn't take this route recently. I ended up with Avanashi-Cbe-Palakkad-Thrissur. But, I recommend taking this route. Ranjith was telling that this route (Pollachi-Vaddakkancheri) is decent and doable.
rameshnanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2011, 23:10   #158
BHPian
 
modthomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Tel Aviv
Posts: 61
Thanked: Once
Default Re: 4-Laning Work starts in Avinashi-Coimbatore stretch of NH47

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
No Amp. I didn't take this route recently. I ended up with Avanashi-Cbe-Palakkad-Thrissur. But, I recommend taking this route. Ranjith was telling that this route (Pollachi-Vaddakkancheri) is decent and doable.
Thanks. Will check it out tomorrow
modthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2011, 19:33   #159
BHPian
 
modthomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Tel Aviv
Posts: 61
Thanked: Once
Default Re: 4-Laning Work starts in Avinashi-Coimbatore stretch of NH47

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
The right route for you would be Salem - Perundurai - Kangeyam - Dharapuram - Pollachi - Vadakkencherry - Trichur. I may not be able to confirm you on the road conditions beyond Pollachi. But it is good until then. What you need to be careful of is taking the turn off to Perundurai from NH47 as it is easy to miss and continue onward towards Chengapalli especially when you are driving fast. Passing through towns like Kangeyam would be easy, you might lose some time in Pollachi but nothing to worry about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Instead of going to Dharapuram, better to turn at Kangeyam, go to Palladam and then take the Pollachi SH. Very good roads and less traffic.
Okay. Started at 0530 from CV Raman Nagar. Route taken was Marathalli > ORR > Elevated > Hosur > NH7 > Salem > NH 47 > Perundurai > Kangeyam > Palladam > Pollachi > Vadakkancheri > Trichur.

Half an hour breakfast break at Krishnagiri A2B and was in Trichur, door to door, at 14:20. Total distance covered 502 km.

Route recommendations were excellent. Used google maps on my mobile and didn't need to ask a soul for directions.

Observations :
NH47 after Salem till Perundurai...a large number of small town bypasses are not shown on G Maps
Turn off at Perundurai is poorly marked
Tamil Nadu / Kerala SH roads on this route are by and large in excellent condition. Exceptions to the above are the internal roads in towns.
Pollachi was not pleasant to negotiate - the road in town leading out to Vadakkancheri is very narrow and handles a lot of bus / truck traffic - bad bottleneck.

Traffic is limited to a few trucks / cars - very manageable


Overall, the drive was great . Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

Ooty tomorrow !

Any suggestions for avoiding Coimbatore traffic to get to Mettupalayam?

Last edited by modthomas : 2nd May 2011 at 19:36. Reason: addition
modthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2011, 22:21   #160
Senior - BHPian
 
rameshnanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,231
Thanked: 813 Times
Default Re: 4-Laning Work starts in Avinashi-Coimbatore stretch of NH47

Quote:
Originally Posted by modthomas View Post
Okay. Started at 0530 from CV Raman Nagar. Route taken was Marathalli > ORR > Elevated > Hosur > NH7 > Salem > NH 47 > Perundurai > Kangeyam > Palladam > Pollachi > Vadakkancheri > Trichur.

Half an hour breakfast break at Krishnagiri A2B and was in Trichur, door to door, at 14:20. Total distance covered 502 km.

Route recommendations were excellent. Used google maps on my mobile and didn't need to ask a soul for directions.

Observations :
NH47 after Salem till Perundurai...a large number of small town bypasses are not shown on G Maps
Turn off at Perundurai is poorly marked
Tamil Nadu / Kerala SH roads on this route are by and large in excellent condition. Exceptions to the above are the internal roads in towns.
Pollachi was not pleasant to negotiate - the road in town leading out to Vadakkancheri is very narrow and handles a lot of bus / truck traffic - bad bottleneck.

Traffic is limited to a few trucks / cars - very manageable


Overall, the drive was great . Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

Ooty tomorrow !

Any suggestions for avoiding Coimbatore traffic to get to Mettupalayam?
Its great thomas. Enjoy your trip.

Only way to avoid Coimbatore traffic is to time it better. Generally traffic mess opens up at 8:00 in the morning. If you are going to bypass before this time, you can escape from the traffic mess.
rameshnanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2011, 22:56   #161
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,596
Thanked: 8,573 Times
Default Re: 4-Laning Work starts in Avinashi-Coimbatore stretch of NH47

The other route option is via Nilambur/Gudalur. Though the distance is less, but the ghat section to cover is much higher. Better to go via CBE.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2011, 23:55   #162
BHPian
 
modthomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Tel Aviv
Posts: 61
Thanked: Once
Default Re: 4-Laning Work starts in Avinashi-Coimbatore stretch of NH47

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Its great thomas. Enjoy your trip.

Only way to avoid Coimbatore traffic is to time it better. Generally traffic mess opens up at 8:00 in the morning. If you are going to bypass before this time, you can escape from the traffic mess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The other route option is via Nilambur/Gudalur. Though the distance is less, but the ghat section to cover is much higher. Better to go via CBE.
Right,
Will give it a shot via CBE bypass, Karumathampatti, Annur and Mettupalayam.
modthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011, 10:49   #163
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 688
Thanked: 238 Times
Default Re: 4-Laning Work starts in Avinashi-Coimbatore stretch of NH47

I hv been to CBE last Saturday and came back on Sunday. Took BLR- Salem - Avinashi - CBE route (Total distance ~350kms). After Avinashi there were lots of traffic and route diversions. Due to the road condition between Avinashi - CBE and the heavy users fee, decided to come back through CBE - Sathyamangalam - Chamarajnagar - Kollegal - Kanakapura - Bangalore (NH209, total distance 318kms).

The road is very good but it is single lane and few hairpins after Sathyamangalam. I took 6hrs to reach CBE and return took only 4:30hrs (Driving hours). Please see that there are very very less option of hotels in this route.

Thanks to Joecheriyan for suggesting me this route.

Thanks
Rajesh
RajeshK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011, 23:18   #164
Senior - BHPian
 
ph03n!x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Madras
Posts: 1,705
Thanked: 118 Times
Default Re: 4-Laning Work starts in Avinashi-Coimbatore stretch of NH47

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtdvl View Post
Had been to salem couple of days back. Avoided Avinashi road completely took coimbatore - palladam - tirupur - Chengapalli - salem route. Its just around 15kms extra but you can avoid all those traffic and freq gear changes. Except for palladam & tirupur city traffic the roads are super free.
This is a great route to avoid the under construction section, thanks Naresh. I took Chengapalli - Uthukuli - Tirupur - Palladam while coming to Coimbatore last weekend. There was a bad stretch after you turn towards Tirupur from the CHengapalli - Uthukuli road, but that was hardly for 20 meters. The rest of the roads were pretty good, and I was able to do 80 - 100 KMPH at quite a few parts of this diversion.
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2011, 07:05   #165
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,596
Thanked: 8,573 Times
Default Re: 4-Laning Work starts in Avinashi-Coimbatore stretch of NH47

How easy it is to cross Tiruppur? I was told, there are small roads and its very difficult to cross the town. Did you see/feel any thing like that?
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Noteworthy Highway Eateries on NH7 - NH47 (Bangalore-Salem-Thrissur) ranjitp1 Route / Travel Queries 7 10th May 2016 19:59
The problem with six-laning highways? Shoddy maintenance of the existing road! phamilyman The Indian Car Scene 1 4th June 2015 22:41
Class Starts Early; Indigo CS launched; starts at 3.79lac jkdas The Indian Car Scene 208 28th May 2008 18:53
Track Day at Coimbatore on 30th September. Report starts on page 16. mclaren1885 Indian Motorsport 376 29th October 2007 13:53
Cabinet okays six-laning of NH Deepkant The Indian Car Scene 18 10th October 2006 15:47


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:21.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks