Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2010, 16:59   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
nairrk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Payyannur-Kannur district
Posts: 2,106
Thanked: 31 Times
Default

@hvkumar.
Some change in programme..
couple of members felt that the above schedulel is very tight (they dont want to get up early in the morning and get ready to move..)

Now, the new suggestion is to go one direction i.e to south.

Kannur/guruvayur/thrissur/alappuzha/Tvm/Kanyakumari and then back home.
proposed place of overnight stay is at Guruvayur, alappuzha,TVM and may be KK also. (have sufficient time to relax and travel?)

Besides Guruvayur / Vadakkumnathan / ambalapuzha / TVM - and in tamil nadu- temples like Kumaracoil (near thuckalay) / suchindram / KK, I have no other ideas about any other major temples enroute?

Do you recommend anything important??
nairrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010, 20:25   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,354 Times
Default

Well, you are going into the Sabarimala season and that means high levels of traffic and large crowds in all Kl temples. For that reason, I would think that this may be an inappropriate time for KL temples, but ideal to cover Tn temples.

Lots of temples to choose from. I would also try to cover Chengannur, Oachira, Chettikulangara, Mannarkad in central KL, apart from the temples in the Trissur belt such as Kodungallur apart from Guruvayur.

You must visit some of the temples like Tripayaru in KK district on the way to KK.

Maybe you can also nip in and cover Tiruchendur, which is 2 hours north of KK.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 13:24   #18
Senior - BHPian
 
nairrk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Payyannur-Kannur district
Posts: 2,106
Thanked: 31 Times
Default

Thanks HVK
The date of our travel is now finalised for 6th december which is not a peak sabarimala season (Mandala pooja is on 27th December and the real Rush starts just 10/15 days before pooja).
Anyway oldest members of the group and ladies are in the opinion not to fix a tight travelling schedule.
As of the present itinerary, we have more time in TVM and KK so may look into the option of going to Tiruchendur also.
Thanks!!
nairrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 14:10   #19
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 221
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
@hvkumar.
Some change in programme..
couple of members felt that the above schedulel is very tight (they dont want to get up early in the morning and get ready to move..)

Now, the new suggestion is to go one direction i.e to south.

Kannur/guruvayur/thrissur/alappuzha/Tvm/Kanyakumari and then back home.
proposed place of overnight stay is at Guruvayur, alappuzha,TVM and may be KK also. (have sufficient time to relax and travel?)

Besides Guruvayur / Vadakkumnathan / ambalapuzha / TVM - and in tamil nadu- temples like Kumaracoil (near thuckalay) / suchindram / KK, I have no other ideas about any other major temples enroute?

Do you recommend anything important??
Oachira temple is right on the NH47. (Near Kayankulam). So it can be covered without any deviation.
Oachira -Chettikulangara will be around 15KM and Oachira-Chengannur is near 30KM. (both on same direction/road).

So, on the day when you plan alappuzha stay, you can probably cover ,Oachira,Chettikulangara,Chengannur,Ambalappuzha etc.
mykal shoemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 14:54   #20
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,602
Thanked: 8,593 Times
Default

Chottanikkara and the Vaikom temple may also be worth stopping at.
You have big choice now!
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 16:52   #21
Senior - BHPian
 
nairrk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Payyannur-Kannur district
Posts: 2,106
Thanked: 31 Times
Default

Thanks @mykal shoemaker and @ampere. seems nice.

Will keep your above suggestions in our list
nairrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2010, 20:03   #22
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New York, Bangalore, Calicut
Posts: 438
Thanked: 96 Times
Default

Please check out the url Temples of Kerala - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for district-wise temple listings from south to north of Kerala. Will help you choose some of them during your trip.
ajithbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 10:45   #23
Senior - BHPian
 
nairrk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Payyannur-Kannur district
Posts: 2,106
Thanked: 31 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
Please check out the url Temples of Kerala - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for district-wise temple listings from south to north of Kerala. Will help you choose some of them during your trip.
Thanks your suggestion.
(sorry I have seen your above post only today,as last 2 days I was out.- just gone to Kollur, mookambika temple and came back!)
nairrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 13:40   #24
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 221
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithbr View Post
Please check out the url Temples of Kerala - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for district-wise temple listings from south to north of Kerala. Will help you choose some of them during your trip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
Thanks your suggestion.
(sorry I have seen your above post only today,as last 2 days I was out.- just gone to Kollur, mookambika temple and came back!)
This link has more detailed info with approx distance from NH47.
Temples Kerala India

It can be kept as a reference.
mykal shoemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 15:46   #25
Senior - BHPian
 
nairrk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Payyannur-Kannur district
Posts: 2,106
Thanked: 31 Times
Default

@mykal shoemaker
Thanks for the link - yes, I will keep a copy with me and select more important temples from the list (as not possible to visit all temples listed therein).

Also the list is given only upto Parassala (its the border of kerala -say last town in kerala before the border between Kerala and Tamil Nadu) and after parassala, there are more temples. Anyway I know the places from TVM to Kanyakumari hence no problem.
nairrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 16:40   #26
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New York, Bangalore, Calicut
Posts: 438
Thanked: 96 Times
Default

Hi nairrk,
Hope you had a good trip to Kollur. Can you brief on the route, road conditions and accomodation details of your Kollur trip?
Thanks.
ajithbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 18:49   #27
Senior - BHPian
 
nairrk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Payyannur-Kannur district
Posts: 2,106
Thanked: 31 Times
Default

@ajithbr
Hi.. regarding road conditions - I have already given a small briefing in the other section i.e ''Monsoons- Road conditions/update'' post no.402. Please see that thread and if you need any further details, I will try to provide.
Accommodation - I stayed in 'Swaparnika' - little away (but still walking distance from temple) from the temple, plenty of parking big rooms, but old building. They charged me Rs.600 for A/c Room with Rs.150 for extra bed. They guarantee electricity only from 6pm to 6 am ie. even if no electicity they will give supply through generator(electricity shortage in that area),but no generator service during day time. Hot water/cold water facility is available.

Food is normal/ordinary in all hotels (I didnt like, but need to adjust, Night time we had food from the temple - annadhanam). If you are reaching there on holidays/saturdays/sundays then better to book rooms in advance.
nairrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2010, 15:38   #28
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 1,108
Thanked: 87 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
@ajithbr
Hi.. regarding road conditions - I have already given a small briefing in the other section i.e ''Monsoons- Road conditions/update'' post no.402. Please see that thread and if you need any further details, I will try to provide.
Accommodation - I stayed in 'Swaparnika' - little away (but still walking distance from temple) from the temple, plenty of parking big rooms, but old building. They charged me Rs.600 for A/c Room with Rs.150 for extra bed. They guarantee electricity only from 6pm to 6 am ie. even if no electicity they will give supply through generator(electricity shortage in that area),but no generator service during day time. Hot water/cold water facility is available.

Food is normal/ordinary in all hotels (I didnt like, but need to adjust, Night time we had food from the temple - annadhanam). If you are reaching there on holidays/saturdays/sundays then better to book rooms in advance.
Hi Nairrk,
I need to travel from calicut to Kannur and back this weekend. whats the best route and hows the road conditions there? I am told the distance is about 110kms. Staying at the Taj getaway.
scooby05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2010, 15:56   #29
BHPian
 
sarinkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 164
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
Hi Nairrk,
I need to travel from calicut to Kannur and back this weekend. whats the best route and hows the road conditions there? I am told the distance is about 110kms. Staying at the Taj getaway.
I thought of answering this. The ONLY BEST route from Calicut to Kannur is NH17. The road is single line with lots of traffic. Road condition should be ok with pot holes due to monsoon rain.
Regards,
Sarin
sarinkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2010, 22:01   #30
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 688
Thanked: 238 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
Hi Nairrk,
I need to travel from calicut to Kannur and back this weekend. whats the best route and hows the road conditions there? I am told the distance is about 110kms. Staying at the Taj getaway.
Hi, if you are travelling between both town only, then best is by Rail (if using public transport). There are lots of trains running between these places. Buses will take ~3hrs and train will take ~2hrs.

If you are driving or hiring a cab, the only option is NH17.

Thanks
Rajesh
RajeshK is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kannur - Mangalore - Goa by road vickster Route / Travel Queries 23 8th July 2016 20:33
Road conditions of SH in TN (Bang-Ooty-Kodai-Kanyakumari-Rameshwaram-Bang) sachin131 Route / Travel Queries 4 28th August 2015 11:40
Kannur-Trivandrum-kanyakumari-Madurai nairrk Route / Travel Queries 2 18th October 2009 14:54
Bangalore to Kannur on road rajeshbolero Street Experiences 3 4th April 2008 20:48


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:58.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks